Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

soul nomad's handling is good because you use the uniques as squad leaders and the generics as the units in their squad which works well enough

I think that's what they were trying to do with TLR also but it worked out worse because..well you don't have nearly as many unions as you do SN squads hence why the PC version let you have more than one leader in a union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Warcraft 3 of tactics games...

you joke but yeah, kind of. Just... better than W3, while I'm wishing for things that aren't likely to happen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
honestly, someone should make a successor to the last remnant. for all its issues I can't really think of a game in the genre that captures the feeling massive battles like it. sometimes i don't want to play a total war game and want to play a rpg you know.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
summon night 3 is cool because you get an extended plot arc about your moral conflict with your rival from high school and at one point you decide to take a nap in the woods and have a dream recalling your many clashes with her at the academy and then you wake up to her pointing a sword at you and going "you're too naive... you should never let your guard down like this..." and then she tries to make you sword fight her while complaining about how you've always gotten in her way, you and your silly ideals...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i also like that this game's shopkeeper is an oni woman and you can play minigames with her by giving her bottles of sake and she does a weird laugh all the time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

summon night 3 is cool because you get an extended plot arc about your moral conflict with your rival from high school and at one point you decide to take a nap in the woods and have a dream recalling your many clashes with her at the academy and then you wake up to her pointing a sword at you and going "you're too naive... you should never let your guard down like this..." and then she tries to make you sword fight her while complaining about how you've always gotten in her way, you and your silly ideals...

Do they kiss afterwards?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't finished this part of the plot yet but you do get conversations with all your friends going "you know aty, i think deep down, it seems like she still likes you"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Srice posted:

Heck, I'm gonna say it. I enjoy it when rpgs force me to use the crappier characters.

No! It's the worst. The bit in Dragon Age Origins where suddenly you have to use every character and you've not even touched them since you recruited them
And Wrath of the Righteous does it too. At least WARN me.

In other Sea of Stars news I think part of what pisses me off about the combat is you've really no idea when an enemy is doing an attack with locks if it's gonna hit you all for 10 damage, hit one character for 30 damage or put everyone on 1 hp. It's just utterly random and I hate it. I'm in...what I guess is act 3? The game feels like it should have opened up by now but it STILL hasn't. I keep getting all these islands to visit but really I can only go to the one I have to go to

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

i haven't finished this part of the plot yet but you do get conversations with all your friends going "you know aty, i think deep down, it seems like she still likes you"

Well lmk so I can play it or not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
will say it's really funny to me that all of the summon night games offer the option to give your protag a custom name... but the default name gets actual voice lines, like if you leave aty on default people will just call her aty, in voiced speech. this is a series-wide thing too, iirc it happens if you leave natsumi's name as natsumi in summon night 1. so being forced to the dreaded awkward blanking out of your name is something you must willfully do to yourself because there is a definite canon name the game will actually acknowledge

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I don't know much about SN3 other than the teacher lady was one of the better strikers in PXZ2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know much about SN3 other than the teacher lady was one of the better strikers in PXZ2

aty's like summon night's only living legacy because people still draw fanart of her

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

you joke but yeah, kind of. Just... better than W3, while I'm wishing for things that aren't likely to happen

It wasn't a joke! I understand the vision.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
summon night 3 was such an overwhelmingly popular entry that despite summon night 5 being a soft reboot of the entire setting they still came up with a super magic excuse for why the summon night 3 protag is just, still around, even though prior game protagonists reappearing in later ones doesn't otherwise happen much outside of swordcraft story (and 6 but 6 was like, bamco taking the series out of the original staff's hands and telling media.vision to do an epic finale game where everyone comes in for a big party)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

aty's like summon night's only living legacy because people still draw fanart of her

She deserves it imho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually insane that summon night 5 and 6 are the only ones that got translated because victor ireland saw that 5 was a soft reboot and thought that meant they could just start there. and then immediately the next game after that was THE FINAL JOURNEY THROUGH TIME AND SPACE UNITING ALL FIVE HEROES... and it's just constant references to plot events and characters nobody could ever possibly loving know

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
farielle walking into the room and everyone going "oh hey, it's farielle, the ghost girl who cosplays as a possessed suit of knight armor that can't speak easily and is afraid to reveal to everyone that she's a girl and has people call her by a more masculine name depending on whether she's in her armor form or not"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They never translated swordcraft story 3 and even after I sent them emails telling them to....

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legit summon night 3 rules cause one of your party members is an okama who's like, vaguely flirty and has some jokes about being bi. but like most of his jokes in that vein are him loving around with his childhood friend (who is an ex-terrorist) and a lot of your scenes with him are just you bonding over what your favorite food is and poo poo, like he's just a chill dude and everyone is totally cool with him. also a big fan of the side character who's just a random old guy from real world japan who works as a high school teacher, and immediately what he decided to do after getting stranded in this fantasy world on this island with all these other people summoned in from other fantasy worlds was to go live in a hut outside a lady's mansion and drink tea, and his entry into the story is him busting into a room and lecturing you for three hours about how lovely a teacher you are

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a funny thing i also picked up on in this one that i didnt really in summon night 1 because that game's summoning mechanics were way more opaque, is that the whole "non-elemental" class of magic is aligned with earth. as in like, the real world. so every non elemental summon is either you like, dropping a pan or a pair of scissors on a guy's head, or dropping in a stool to stand on so you can give one of your dudes a bit of extra height to climb over somewhere or get a height advantage. it's really funny

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Srice posted:

Heck, I'm gonna say it. I enjoy it when rpgs force me to use the crappier characters.

:hai:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
love that there is a side scene where you ask genji if he wants to go back to the real world and he's like "my wife's dead, i'm retired and i already saw my grandkid. i'd rather spend the rest of my life here on a fantasy island than sitting around at home doing nothing"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good luck convincing me to make a party consisting of anyone after I hit the initial party size limit.

If Im not gonna do it for pokemon what makes you think you're special

HopperUK posted:

Chained Echoes is on gamepass! this is huge

Has been since launch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i have to say about sea of stars' normal ending is: lol, and gently caress you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

more like Sea of rear end am I right?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

how bad is the ending...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Booky posted:

how bad is the ending...
after fighting one of your two mentors-turned-traitors, you don't fight the other, OR the fleshmancer in the regular ending. he just goes "i'm leaving. by the way, there's a WORLD EATER coming!" and leaves. then the two main characters immediately go My Home Planet Needs Me and beam off into space forever, and then this big battle... is just a 30 second shmup sequence that is impossible to fail. and then the credits roll right after.

getting the true ending requires first getting the regular ending, then doing every main character's personal quest and fighting every superboss (though they're not that hard), and getting every rainbow conch, and in order to get every rainbow conch you basically have to do every side quest, and build up the entire town of Mirth so that you can gain access to the conch chests that spawn in

the regular ending was bad enough that idk if i am willing to get every single conch to fight the true final boss or w/e. at the time of finishing the game i had probably, idk, 30-some conches at best? and there's 60 in the game lol. gently caress off!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 8, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What issues with the game aren't fundamental and could be patched out?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Rainbow conches, really?
They're going with -that- direct an inspiration with Chrono Trigger, huh.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

The 7th Guest posted:

the regular ending was bad enough that idk if i am willing to get every single conch to fight the true final boss or w/e. at the time of finishing the game i had probably, idk, 30-some conches at best? and there's 60 in the game lol. gently caress off!!!

I sincerely suggest you try it, there's a lot more game to play after the first fadeout ending and it culminates in two major additional endings that I felt were well worth the time?

Conches are easy to track down if you use the parrot on the map, none of them are particularly difficult to get together, just a gross amount of backtracking

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What issues with the game aren't fundamental and could be patched out?

God it'd take a complete rebuild, honestly.
It's not something that's an easy fix.

The 7th Guest posted:

getting the true ending requires first getting the regular ending, then doing every main character's personal quest and fighting every superboss (though they're not that hard), and getting every rainbow conch, and in order to get every rainbow conch you basically have to do every side quest, and build up the entire town of Mirth so that you can gain access to the conch chests that spawn in

Yea gently caress that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I will say that I did all of that basically just by playing the game, with the rainbow coral being the only thing I really had to backtrack for (and even then I found almost all of them just by exploring dungeons.)

Written out like that it sounds like a lot but genuinely I got that the first time I finished the game, I wasn't even aware it was a secret ending until this moment.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Backtracking in the game seriously seriously sucks though. It's so unfun having to go back over areas because of how they're made

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is Baraduk still around? A game doesn't exist until he has had a mediocre time with it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Just checking offhand if anyone knows more than me: there's really no way to play Wizardry IV in English that isn't the Apple II, is there? I know some of the ports have limited English as a menu option but none of the others are fully translated or ported, right?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is Baraduk still around? A game doesn't exist until he has had a mediocre time with it.

bro scroll up

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

claw game handjob posted:

Just checking offhand if anyone knows more than me: there's really no way to play Wizardry IV in English that isn't the Apple II, is there? I know some of the ports have limited English as a menu option but none of the others are fully translated or ported, right?

The Japanese PS1 version of the New Age of Llylgamyn remakes does have an English text option for Wizardry 4 and 5, but not for the exclusive arrange version of 4 which you can play in that version.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Taear posted:

Backtracking in the game seriously seriously sucks though. It's so unfun having to go back over areas because of how they're made
yea

and like i said, some conches you can't get until you do sidequests or build up the town (which requires... conches!). it's pointless busywork

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Japanese PS1 version of the New Age of Llylgamyn remakes does have an English text option for Wizardry 4 and 5, but not for the exclusive arrange version of 4 which you can play in that version.

Interesting! I'll have to dig into that and see how much I could hand it to someone who wanted to try it but had no skill with Apple emulation, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Looper posted:

bro scroll up

When you have a different AV, you might as well be a different person.