Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/numbzombiemom/status/1699990749797081530?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

This explains the sudden increase in UK BA.2.86.1 cases:

Now that is a very high percentage being hospitalized, but again this is primarly (28/34) from an outbreak in a care home.

Archived link: https://archive.li/93Zhq

A bit more on this as it is the very first superspreader event of BA.2.86.1 (for that reason it is brought here in full):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/08/pirola-latest-covid-variant-spreading-in-uk-health-data-suggests posted:

Latest Covid variant spreading in UK, health data suggests
BA.2.86, nicknamed Pirola, causing concern among scientists because of fear it could be more transmissible

The latest Covid-19 variant, BA.2.86, appears to be spreading in the UK, health surveillance data suggests.

The variant, nicknamed Pirola, has prompted concern among scientists because of the high number of mutations it carries, which raises the possibility that it could evade the immune system more easily or be more transmissible.

In a briefing note on Friday, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said that an outbreak at a care home in Norfolk and other cases across the UK indicated there was likely to be community transmission of the strain, but said it was too early to judge the full extent of its spread.

In an outbreak of Covid-19 in a care home in Norfolk at the end of August, 33 out of 38 residents tested positive for the virus, along with 12 members of staff, the UKHSA said. One resident needed hospital treatment but no deaths were reported. Laboratory tests later showed that 22 residents had the BA.2.86 variant, along with six staff.

The outbreak was “an early indicator” that the variant may be sufficiently transmissible to have an effect in close-contact settings, the UKHSA said, though it was too early to draw any conclusions about how BA.2.86 would behave in the wider UK population.

Twenty-nine of the 33 residents at the care home who tested positive for Covid-19 have recovered, along with all members of staff, the UKHSA added.

Dr Renu Bindra, the UKHSA incident director, said that while BA.2.86 had a “significant number of mutations” compared with other variants circulating, the data so far was “too limited to draw firm conclusions” about the impact this would have on the transmissibility or severity of the virus.

“It is clear that there is some degree of widespread community transmission, both in the UK and globally, and we are working to ascertain the full extent of this,” she said. “In the meantime, it remains vital that all those eligible come forward to receive their autumn vaccine as soon as it is offered to them.”

Some early lab-based evidence has eased initial concerns about the potential of BA.2.86 to cause a new global wave of infection, as happened with the emergence of Omicron. A pre-print study, from researchers in China, found that BA.2.86 is not as efficient at infecting cells in the lab compared with other circulating Omicron subvariants. Another pre-print study from researchers in Sweden found only modest drops in how well serum from blood donors could neutralise BA.2.86 compared with other variants.

The latest Covid-19 vaccine booster programme has been brought forward from October to September as a precaution against BA.2.86. The booster programme will begin in England on 11 September, with jabs offered first to residents of adult care homes and clinically vulnerable people, before it is extended to everyone in the UK aged 65 and above.

I am going to venture a guess here and say that the probably all had BA.2.86.1, but some of the tests failed to produce sequenceable results (so 45 cases, as opposed to 28).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
DeSantis' bullshit is to be expected, however...

https://apnews.com/article/ron-desantis-vaccines-ladapo-florida-d40276077f5fb6de98c2087172b423dc posted:

Gov. DeSantis and Florida surgeon general warn against new COVID-19 restrictions and vaccine

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Thursday criticized recent efforts across the U.S. to tamp down a recent jump in COVID-19 cases through temporary restrictions or masking, and his state surgeon general warned against getting the latest COVID-19 vaccine, which is expected to be available this month.
(..)
:shepface:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

We're about two or three years from Florida throwing out any and all childhood vaccinations too

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

That level of, I duuno, ideaological partisanship? is absolutely expected from DeSantis and Florida in general.

Also vast swaths of the middle of the country in general.

Apr 7, 2003

It's an insanely dumb thing to be ideologically partisan about, vaccines are unarguably the greatest advancement made by modern medicine. It's like being mad about clean water or food without toxins in it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's an insanely dumb thing to be ideologically partisan about, vaccines are unarguably the greatest advancement made by modern medicine. It's like being mad about clean water or food without toxins in it.

FDA inspections are way down and more people are getting sick from food. The water is still bad in Flint and other parts of the country. Only a matter of time before that is pushed as a good thing if it already isn't.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

That sucks but who is this person?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

smelly goblin posted:

Bc of this post I just found 3m nostril masks that you stick up in there. Bought some and gonna try them out for when I go to the orthodontist.

https://www.o2nosefilters.com/shop/

this thread is an ouroboros

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

speng31b posted:

That sucks but who is this person?

NumbZombieMom, seems pretty clear?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Hey what's this I'm hearing about a yet *other* subvariant with huge numbers of mutations that just popped up? Supposedly a descendant of BA.5

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

smelly goblin posted:

Bc of this post I just found 3m nostril masks that you stick up in there. Bought some and gonna try them out for when I go to the orthodontist.

https://www.o2nosefilters.com/shop/

These don't do anything and you shouldn't buy them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My friend, did you miss the raw milk craze from a few years back? And they've always been mad about fluoridated water.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Oracle posted:

My friend, did you miss the raw milk craze from a few years back? And they've always been mad about fluoridated water.

raw water

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

Hey what's this I'm hearing about a yet *other* subvariant with huge numbers of mutations that just popped up? Supposedly a descendant of BA.5

You mean besides BA.2.86 (Pirola) and BA.2.86.1?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oracle posted:

You mean besides BA.2.86 (Pirola) and BA.2.86.1?

This is the source I found which what everyone was referring to.

https://twitter.com/DoropFan/status/1699784848590901434
It's just one sequencing so it's probably just folks panicking and seeing shadow but hoo boy that's lot of mutations on the spike.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

I remember years back there was a funny piece about one of those raw water venders on the west coast where it turned out they were literally just filling up some Oregon municipal water and selling it in these over the top crystal jugs to californians.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

PoundSand posted:

I remember years back there was a funny piece about one of those raw water venders on the west coast where it turned out they were literally just filling up some Oregon municipal water and selling it in these over the top crystal jugs to californians.

Portland doesn’t have fluoridated water

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Reminder that his surgeon general fabricated data in his report that recommended against covid vaccines for (IIRC) young men.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

Reminder that his surgeon general fabricated data in his report that recommended against covid vaccines for (IIRC) young men.

Yeah, but that's been a thing on the right since the vaccines came out. Categorically recommending against the booster in loving Florida of all places, is a new level of insanity.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Categorically recommending against the booster in loving Florida of all places, is a new level of insanity.
lol

Construction is also booming in Miami FYI

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
DeSantis probably racked up at least a quadruple digit death count with his various covid policies (beyond the baked in 50,000 or so every governor has) in his vain attempt to become President, which currently has him in a dead heat with Vivek Ramaswamy.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

(..)
It's just one sequencing so it's probably just folks panicking and seeing shadow but hoo boy that's lot of mutations on the spike.

Because of the cryptic infections, I don't think a single sequence means a whole lot. The dude that tweeted about their wastewater tracking mentioned something like 30 (?) in the US alone.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/DoropFan/status/1699784848590901434

It feels weird to say that 15 on the spike protein doesn't feel like "a lot" anymore.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Just a reminder, today is the last day to beg the CDC for boosters.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0060-0001/comment

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Just a reminder, today is the last day to beg the CDC for boosters.

https://www.regulations.gov/document/CDC-2023-0060-0001/comment

these comments are wild

THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IS ASKING FOR THE ELIMINATIOIN OF THIS COMMITTEE. WE DO NOT THINK THE COMMITTEE IS WORKING FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. WE BELIEVE THAT YOU APPROVE EVLERYTHING BIG PHARMA WANTS TO MAKE MONEY ON AND THAT MANY OF THESE PRODUCTS ARE EXTREMELY HARMFUL AND CERTANLY NOT WELL CLNICALLY RESERACHRED AT ALL.TO INSIST AMERICAN PEOPLE TAKE A VACCINE WHICH WAS TESTED ON 8 MICE FOR A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME IS IN FACT DEATH DEALING IMO.
THERE APPEARS TO BE LITTLE HONESTY ORINTEGRITY IN THESE FAST APPROVALS THAT DO NOT EVER ALLOW THE DAYS OF QUESTIONING BY THE US PUBLIC AND OTHER SCIENTISTS BEFORE YOU HAVE A VOTE ON YOUR MEMBERS. AND THE MEMBERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE QUESTOINED BY THE PUBLIC FOR DAYS ABOUT ANY NEW PRODUCT THAT IS AUTHROIZED FOR SALE MEDICALLY IN THE USA. WE HAVE HAD TOO EASY A SYSEM FOR ANY OLD CRAP TO BE SOLD IN THE USA AND GIVEN APPROVAL BY ACIP. YOU GAVE A VERY VERY SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME IN THE LAST MEETING OF APPROVALS FOR THE PUBLIC TO SPEAK. AND YOU DID NOT ALLOW QUESTIONING AS YOU SHOULD HAVE. AT THIS TIME WE WANT THE ACIP TO SCHEDULE DAYS FOR QUESTIONING ON ANY NEW PRODUCT THAT COMES BEFORE. WE CANNOT ALLOW OURSELVES TO BE FALL GUYS FOR THE FAKE ALLEGED EXPERTS THAT APPROVE ALLTHESE VACCINE AND DRUGS WHEN THEY HAVE INSUFFICIENT EVIDENCE THAT NEEDS PROBING. WE NEED TO PROBE WHAT GOES ON AT THIS AGENCY THAT APPROVES EVEVERYTHING THAT COMES BEFORE IT. WE DO NOT WANT THAT KIND OF SYSTEM ANYMORE. THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE SET UP IS HARMFUL TO THE CITIZENS OF THE USA. THEY WANT EVERY PRODUCT BROUGHT BEFORE THIS AGENCY TO ALLOW DAYS OF QUESTIONING IF NECESSARY BY THE PUBLIC AND QUESTIONNIG OF MEMBERS ON THE ACIP OF THEIR INFORMATION ON THESE HARMFUL PRODUCTS. YOU HAVE SOLD US A BILL OF GOODS. WE TRUSTED YOU AND YOU HAVE FAILED THIS COUNTRY IMO. TOTAL FAILURE FOR MONEYMAKING BY YOU AND BIG PHARMAAND YOUR OH SO CLOSE CONNECTIONS TO BIG PHARMA. WE INSIST ON THIS CHANGE. WE ALSO WANT MUCH MORE INFORMATION ONT HE PRODUCTS ITSELF PRIOR TO ANY APPROVAL. WE CANT BE SOLD CRAP ANYMORE.

nexous has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Sep 8, 2023

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Pingui posted:

Because of the cryptic infections, I don't think a single sequence means a whole lot. The dude that tweeted about their wastewater tracking mentioned something like 30 (?) in the US alone.

Marc Johnson, yeah he's mentioned ~30 that he's seen (I can't find the tweet to say for sure) and I think, given the context of the link below, roughly 8 of them are still actively shedding.

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1691876356307693709

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 370 days!

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1700200458835345653?s=19

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

😡

My kingdom for a BSL‑3 lab and authentic virus.

We would have been extremely misled in the initial Omicron emergence if all we had had were pseudovirus assays.

Yep, pseudovirus assays seemed like the gold standard early on but there’s a reason we went BSL-3

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Pandemics are over

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Don't need to identify pandemics if we're just going to ignore them

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

posting the whole article, it's a decent read

U.S. cancels program aimed at identifying potential pandemic viruses
Critics feared DEEP VZN research projects could help viruses jump from animals to humans
8 SEP 20231:00 PM ETBYJON COHEN
Alessandra Nava taking a sample from a bat
Alessandra Nava (right), a researcher at Fiocruz Amazônia, led a team sampling bats in Manaus in December 2022. Nava previously worked as Brazil’s country coordinator for the U.S. Agency for International Development’s PREDICT program.J. COHEN/SCIENCE

In what many see as fallout from the concern that researchers studying bat viruses may have triggered the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) has prematurely ended a $125 million program aimed at identifying viruses in animals that might harm humans.

USAID launched the program, known as the Discovery & Exploration of Emerging Pathogens – Viral Zoonoses (DEEP VZN), in October 2021. It tapped the Paul G. Allen School for Global Health at Washington State University (WSU) to lead a consortium that planned to work in up to 12 foreign countries over 5 years. Goals included training people in those countries to safely collect and characterize viruses found in animals, and to identify and develop strategies to thwart pathogens that might gain the capacity to jump to humans and spark a global pandemic.

In late July, however, USAID officials notified WSU investigators that they had canceled DEEP VZN (pronounced “deep vision”), as first reported yesterday by The BMJ. “This decision is in no way a reflection on the performance or capability of the prime partner, Washington State University, or its consortium of partners,” a spokesperson for USAID told ScienceInsider.

USAID did not reply to questions about whether the early death of DEEP VZN was linked to intense concerns voiced by lawmakers in Congress—mostly Republicans—and some scientists that SARS-CoV-2 originated from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, that studied bat coronaviruses. No compelling evidence supports this theory, but it has gained some traction with the public, too. USAID’s spokesperson said the decision flowed from an effort “to assess priorities and approach to pandemic preparedness. This includes aligning resources to achieve the commitments within the National Biodefense Strategy, the relative risks and impact of our programming (including biosafety and biosecurity capacity), as well as how to optimally allocate USAID’s global health security resources.”

WSU’s Guy Palmer, a veterinarian who founded the global health school there in 2007, says he’s disappointed by the decision. “Stepping away from global surveillance is not wise,” Palmer says. “It creates a vacuum, and there are certainly other nations that are less committed to data transparency that are more than happy to fill that gap.”

He is convinced political pressure ultimately killed the program. “It’s hard to think of a way to sugarcoat that. There’s a lot of concern about lab leaks and creating a human-animal interface that wouldn’t naturally exist,” he says.

Researchers who have been critical of what they see as risky virus research applauded the decision. “Wow! USAID has terminated DEEP VZN! This is a major win in the global fight against lab-generated pandemics,” quantitative biologist Justin Kinney of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory posted on X (formerly Twitter). Kinney is a co-founder of Biosafety Now, a nonprofit that advocates for improved laboratory safety and prohibiting research that modifies pathogens in ways that potentially make them more dangerous to humans.

Epidemiologist Jennifer Nuzzo, who heads the Brown University Pandemic Center, saw value in DEEP VZN but said it likely was going to trigger a “land mine of hearings” in Congress. She also questioned why it was housed at USAID in the first place. “It seems like the wrong vehicle for this kind of work,” Nuzzo says. “If anything, you’d want to do it through a science agency that goes through an external peer-review process to make sure that the projects being proposed are the most rigorous and most likely to net scientific benefit. And that just seems like a weird line of work for a development agency.”

DEEP VZN was a follow-on to a USAID global surveillance program called PREDICT that ran from 2009 to 2020 and received more than $200 million. PREDICT itself grew out of USAID’s interest in helping countries combat avian influenza, which devastated poultry industries and threatened to spark pandemics. PREDICT funds were used to strengthen labs in more than 60 countries, train more than 6000 people, and detect more than 1100 unique viruses.

Critics, however, assailed PREDICT. Some said that rather than focusing on hunting viruses in animals, PREDICT should have emphasized improving surveillance for unusual infectious diseases in humans. Researchers have little chance of predicting which viruses detected by animal surveillance might cause great harm to humans, argued evolutionary biologists Edward Holmes, Kristian Andersen, and Andrew Rambaut in a comment published in June 2018 in Nature. “[G]iven the rarity of outbreaks and the complexity of host–pathogen interactions, it is arrogant to imagine that we could use such surveys to predict and mitigate the emergence of disease,” they wrote.

Palmer notes that “PREDICT had a lot of baggage,” and he believes that DEEP VZN “got caught up in that.” In addition, in the wake of COVID-19, concerns rose about the dangers of handling wild animals to discover and study viruses that have pandemic potential. DEEP VZN drew especially sharp scrutiny because the EcoHealth Alliance, a nonprofit that specializes in sampling animals in attempts to prevent emerging diseases, played a central role in the PREDICT consortium. (EcoHealth also had a long-standing collaboration with the Wuhan lab at the center of the lab-leak theory.)

Although USAID billed DEEP VZN as a virus hunting program, Palmer says his group’s main aim was to train scientists in foreign countries on how to safely surveil animal pathogens and to lower risks. They planned to inactivate samples as close as possible to the time of collection, which would reduce risks but still allow scientists to extract any viral sequences. If an interesting virus surfaced and they wanted intact samples to study, the researchers would return to the site with higher level protective gear. Once samples arrived at the labs, they hoped to teach their collaborators how to improve biosecurity and best manage data.

Prior to its cancellation, DEEP VZN had received about 10% of the promised funding, and Palmer said it had yet to conduct any sampling because USAID would not give them a green light to do the fieldwork. “We never got permission to work in any of the five initial countries selected,” he says. “There was a prohibition on doing the work, and therefore the money didn’t flow.”

Palmer says the DEEP VZN researchers knew USAID had developed cold feet about the program, and they met with members of both the House of Representatives and Senate to discuss their concerns. “They had legitimate questions that we thought we could address,” Palmer says.

Dennis Carroll, who started PREDICT and retired from USAID shortly before it ended, fears that scuttling DEEP VZN will cost lives. “Eliminating USAID’s investment in viral discovery is a recipe for disaster,” Carroll says. “For nearly 20 years USAID has been at the forefront of building the systems and capacities that are essential to making the world safe from future viral threats.”

so there was a program in place for the past 11 years that then got shut down due to politics and this new replacement program never even got off the ground due to politics

lmao nice, very nice, loving hell, we've been flying blind through the fog and thats fine everything is fine nevermind the mountains we're headed for that we can't see KOBE

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mom got it from Dad of course. Purportedly mild.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nice try USAID, you scaremongers, focus your research on potential endemic viruses next time

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

quote:

WSU’s Guy Palmer, a veterinarian who founded the global health school there in 2007, says he’s disappointed by the decision. “Stepping away from global surveillance is not wise,” Palmer says. “It creates a vacuum, and there are certainly other nations that are less committed to data transparency that are more than happy to fill that gap.”

Is it just me or is this supposed to be a dig against China?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

dxt posted:

Don't need to identify pandemics if we're just going to ignore them
in fact, we are safer if we ignore them. that's exactly what the article says

Apr 7, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

in fact, we are safer if we ignore them. that's exactly what the article says

The pandemic was a resounding success for capital and we're rolling this poo poo out across all aspects of life very soon. lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Why bother looking for new viruses? Pandemics these days you just go out and breathe the fresh air because the viruses have to get through so many people to go anywhere they've mutated into mildness by the time they make it any real distance.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Oracle posted:

Just a few months ago there was a discussion in here about it because Iowa just made "raw" milk legal to sell for human consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The US only supports vaccine programs in the global south when they can use it as cover for intelligence operations.