Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh my god the expression on that guy's face and then saying "my bad"
https://twitter.com/MorganBagg/status/1699944175192416695?s=20

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

wow, rizzo knew

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

rickiep00h posted:

I think this should be mandatory reading for anyone who gives even a small poo poo about how the game is and has been run. For ending literally 30 years ago, it's still remarkably relevant, because rich people will always be stupid and petty.

A great companion book to The Lords of the Realm is The Game, by Jon Pessah. It picks up during the 1994 strike (which is where Lords of the Realm leaves off, with the strike being called) and then chronicles the next 20 years of labor-management relations in MLB.

Other recommendations are A Pitcher's Story, a biography of David Cone by the late, great Roger Angell, and Together We Were Eleven-Foot-Nine, Jim Palmer's memoir about his time with Earl Weaver and the Orioles.

Jim Palmer posted:

His language goes from colorful to off-color to only words that rhyme with duck.

And you don't have to be at Earl's table to hear him. In fact, you don't have to be in Minneapolis to hear him. Blue hair is turning bluer. Salesmen are blushing. Women gasp. Men gasp. Then nobody gasps because everyone is silent.

Earl rocks back in his chair, just about to come forward and pound the table for emphasis and a refill. Nature phones in. Earl's gotta relieve himself. Right now. A little too loud, about the volume of a good p.a. system, he bellows, "Where's the toilet?"

A guy at the table next to him says, "The toilet's in your mouth."

Earl rocks forward. Hmm. He's pretty sure that's not the location he was looking for. He makes his way from the table, across the room, and over to the door with the large "M" and little plastic man on it.

While he's in there, he must be thinking, Maybe, just maybe, I was a touch louder than I should have been. Possibly, my language wasn't quite as delicate as it could have been. Perhaps, I was a vile pig.

Now, Earl really never meant to hurt anyone. Okay, maybe the players and the coaches and the umpires and most of major league baseball, but no real people. So, he feels bad. He better make amends.

He comes back into the dining room. On his way, he stops at the offended table. Not all of them. That would have taken all night. But at the one where the guy suggested that Earl's mouth only needed a handle in order to flush.

Earl looks at the people at the table with every ounce of sincerity he can muster. His voice is low and discreet. His manner is dignified. He leans over intimately and says, "I'm sorry. You lose a tough one and you can't get a table in the dining room and you have a few drinks and pretty soon the 'cock suckers' and 'mother fuckers' just come out."

Timby fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 8, 2023

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

rickiep00h posted:

I think this should be mandatory reading for anyone who gives even a small poo poo about how the game is and has been run. For ending literally 30 years ago, it's still remarkably relevant, because rich people will always be stupid and petty.

Veeck as in Wreck is also good. The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball was a pretty good read in post Bill James sabermetrics, even if it covers a very short period of time and is pretty out of date statistically.

...uh... Moneyball?

To tie in with all three of those Veeck’s hidden gem of a book is The Hustlers Handbook. It gets into how you promote a minor league team, the various tax/financial tricks he used to buy teams (and how he ended up losing them) but also other behind the scenes stuff like files his dad found from the White Sox front office about not just the black Sox, how the Dodgers moving to to LA was actually a real estate deal, and a lots of making GBS threads on commissioners and his fellow owners.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

IcePhoenix posted:

The Raptors won a title in 2019

Ah, okay. So just your recent championship for the city rule kicking in, got it. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some sort of egregious Toronto / Minneapolis moment on the field or something. ;)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's an extremely polite encounter

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Players on the IL are specifically prohibited from taunting players and umps in the MLB rules. They also can't go onto the field for a bench clearing brawl.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seems like the Dodgers have another starter in Pepiot, huh

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

CCKeane posted:

Players on the IL are specifically prohibited from taunting players and umps in the MLB rules. They also can't go onto the field for a bench clearing brawl.

I think players on the IL should be encouraged to talk trash, especially in Rizzos case. Keep his mind strong.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dinosaurs! posted:

I hope the Nats suggested the idea to Strasburg and he’d already been considering it himself given all the rehab struggles. It’d be so lovely if they’re strong-arming him into retirement, especially while the team is so dire these days and the fanbase on life support.

I know it’s going to wind up being the latter, but maybe not.

It is.
I;m pretty sure Strasberg is on board to retire. He already got a rib surgically removed.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat someone should have told him that was just an urban legend.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Angels legend Luis Rengifo was pulled from last night's game with an unknown injury. He was the sole Angels regular position player to not miss considerable time this year. :911:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Bought some tickets for Wednesday's mariners/angels matinee. Got them in fair territory too so maybe I'll get a dinger.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Robert Coover’s Universal Baseball Association book is a really interesting novel.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone here going to read the forthcoming Posnanski book?

Eventually, the Baseball 100 was a good read.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Robert Coover’s Universal Baseball Association book is a really interesting novel.

I keep meaning to read that. Putting it in my library queue. I'm also on the list for a book called The Tao of the Backup Catcher which is mostly about journeyman catcher Erik Kratz hopefully that will be interesting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Posnanski's well into the Rick Reilly stage of his career where he can't go two paragraphs without namedropping which celebrities he hung out with this week. But Baseball 100 was mostly free of that and hopefully the new book will be too.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Fast Luck posted:

I;m pretty sure Strasberg is on board to retire. He already got a rib surgically removed.

just like Marilyn Manson

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

It's not nothing. Especially with so little time left in the season. That could be it for him unless the Rangers make the playoffs

Maybe not
https://twitter.com/kennlandry/status/1699892891550994861

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

just like Marilyn Manson

I mean the post after it already did this but better :cmon:

Dinosaurs! posted:

Woof, that sucks I saw that and it was sad to see because it was such a blah play and he was genuinely pissed

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

They called up their top prospect in Evan Carter to replace him. Carter's power hasn't quite developed yet, as he's more of a speedy OBP/contact guy and good defensive CF. He's probably not quite ready yet, but he can't be any worse than what Jankowski, Grossman, or Taveras have done recently.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of dudes with leg injuries who punched the dirt in frustration, Ryne Stanek apparently only suffered a sprained ankle which is great news for him. Dunno if we'll see him again this season but at least it won't be surgery or a long recovery

At the time it looked REAL nasty

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Twin Cinema posted:

While Coover and DeLillo and Malamud etc. are deserving go-tos, two recent novels I’d say to check out are Emily Nemens’ The Cactus League (like A Visit from the Goon Squad but for baseball rather than music, if that makes sense) and Gish Jen’s absolutely wild The Resisters, if you like your fictions dystopian

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fast Luck posted:

Wait, he's getting a divorce too?!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Gorman Thomas posted:

Angels legend Luis Rengifo was pulled from last night's game with an unknown injury. He was the sole Angels regular position player to not miss considerable time this year. :911:

Moniak is also hurt.

https://twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1700012691048562839?s=20

Hard to understate how bad an outfield consisting of Trey Cabbage, Brett Phillips, and Randal Grichuk is.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Ah, okay. So just your recent championship for the city rule kicking in, got it. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some sort of egregious Toronto / Minneapolis moment on the field or something. ;)

I feel like you're implying that there should be one with that wink but no I can't remember any Minnesota/Toronto beef.

Seattle and Baltimore are more getting passes for their baseball franchises specifically just being down bad for basically forever than because their recent titles are a decade ago. Toronto has at least had a fair amount of ups.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

put Adell back out there

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

IcePhoenix posted:

I feel like you're implying that there should be one with that wink but no I can't remember any Minnesota/Toronto beef.

Seattle and Baltimore are more getting passes for their baseball franchises specifically just being down bad for basically forever than because their recent titles are a decade ago. Toronto has at least had a fair amount of ups.

*scans the record books for mariners World Series appearances*

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

elentar posted:

While Coover and DeLillo and Malamud etc. are deserving go-tos, two recent novels I’d say to check out are Emily Nemens’ The Cactus League (like A Visit from the Goon Squad but for baseball rather than music, if that makes sense) and Gish Jen’s absolutely wild The Resisters, if you like your fictions dystopian

These look like good recommendations. Thanks!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bees x1000 posted:

put Adell back out there

He is eligible off of the 60 day IL as of today but I thought his injury was season ending. I wouldn't bother bringing him back up at this point.

Not familiar with the money side of things but I suppose they could bring him off the IL (where he makes major league salary) and then send him back down to the minors so that they can shave off more payroll. That would be an Angels thing to do.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Walker Buehler is done for the season

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1700193737995862323?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

*scans the record books for mariners World Series appearances*

that is my point yes thank you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will oppose the Twins until they bring back the Hefty bag

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh my god the expression on that guy's face and then saying "my bad"
https://twitter.com/MorganBagg/status/1699944175192416695?s=20

Actively capping your spitter and shrugging my bad has made the initial GIF so much better.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hunter Brown vs Snell tonight? Better hope the Rays can get to Kirby I guess

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

We shall all miss his tight pants

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

And we're at home...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

I will oppose the Twins until they bring back the Hefty bag

As much as I miss the Metrodome for pure nostalgia, the baggie was without a doubt one of the worst parts of it. Just absolutely bush league poo poo.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I mean, the one he got might as well be. I don't think anyone's ever come back from thoracic outlet syndrome and been anywhere near effective.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

To tie in with all three of those Veeck’s hidden gem of a book is The Hustlers Handbook. It gets into how you promote a minor league team, the various tax/financial tricks he used to buy teams (and how he ended up losing them) but also other behind the scenes stuff like files his dad found from the White Sox front office about not just the black Sox, how the Dodgers moving to to LA was actually a real estate deal, and a lots of making GBS threads on commissioners and his fellow owners.

Oooooh I think I read The Hustler's Handbook, too. We had that baseball reading thread a long while back, and I think both Veeck books were in there and I read them. I think.

Timby posted:

A great companion book to The Lords of the Realm is The Game, by Jon Pessah. It picks up during the 1994 strike (which is where Lords of the Realm leaves off, with the strike being called) and then chronicles the next 20 years of labor-management relations in MLB.

*adds to list*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Intruder posted:

Kirby has been fairly mortal recently and it's not like you guys have a terrible track record against good pitching.

But yes, if Kirby and Snell are both on, that'd be pretty great.