Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The antenna TV I get over my Roku TV doesn't feel significanty different than the last time I watched cable 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

feedmyleg posted:

The antenna TV I get over my Roku TV doesn't feel significanty different than the last time I watched cable 10 years ago.

broadcast has way more medicare and other old people ads, but yeah. only broadcast channel that's really any good if you're not a sports fan is comet for all the old speculative fiction shows and movies

in theory, the ATSC 3.0 upgrade is supposed to make it more like streaming with 4k and HDR and surround sound and stuff... but mostly in bad ways, like tracking ads and drm'd shows and poo poo

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's not really relevant to the strike, but I enjoyed an article discussing Suits blowing up big with younger viewers once it was on streaming. And the recurring note was "Yeah, we used to just have a ton of these. Suits was pretty middling in the bunch even." USA/TNT/TBS/SciFi would churn out 13-22 episodes of some quirky character shows to fill out schedules and carry the summer. Then cable just cut everything with the move to streaming, but it turns out people still kind of like longer, drawn out fluff along with the premium stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its easy to forget about it now but Suits was minorly ground breaking for its time by being the first USA show to go "what if we just said the swears?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's not really relevant to the strike, but I enjoyed an article discussing Suits blowing up big with younger viewers once it was on streaming. And the recurring note was "Yeah, we used to just have a ton of these. Suits was pretty middling in the bunch even." USA/TNT/TBS/SciFi would churn out 13-22 episodes of some quirky character shows to fill out schedules and carry the summer. Then cable just cut everything with the move to streaming, but it turns out people still kind of like longer, drawn out fluff along with the premium stuff.

USA and TNT used to have a lot of very fun--forgettable, but fun--shows 15 years ago. On USA, besides Suits, there was stuff like Psych, White Collar, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, and even some of the lesser dramas like Covert Affairs and In Plain Sight were fun. On TNT, there was The Closer followed by Major Crimes, so 13 seasons of that, Rizzoli & Isles, Men of a Certain Age, Southland, Saving Grace and Franklin & Bash.

Those were good days.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDxVi8gbHZ4

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hey man, suits was always a great show. and it felt like one the actors seemed to have fun doing

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

lol

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Technically relevant because the writers and actors aren't seeing royalties from all the streaming these shows like Suits and Breaking Bad are doing. :eng99:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
so is the future a future where we have cable subscriptions except the Premium channels we choose from are Amazon, Disney, Apple TV, and MAXdiscovery? Instead of HBo, showtime, Cinemax etc?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is the present you're describing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I'm not sure what Max is gonna look like a few years from now tbh. They say they're going all in on IP, but that doesn't strike me as a sustainable when their biggest "draw" is a slavish recreation of HP.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
They are spending an unreal amount on the IT prequel and Penguin and a couple of other properties they are looking to get going. Seems like that component of HBO is veering from adult/mature fare to arrested development young adult poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I knew about the Penguin show but there’s going to be an It prequel?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh come on, just make the Dark Tower if you want to turn a King thing into a sprawling media franchise!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Oh come on, just make the Dark Tower if you want to turn a King thing into a sprawling media franchise!

Amazon is doing that with Mike Flanagan.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon is doing that with Mike Flanagan.

Do you have any idea how many times I've heard people claim that a proper Dark Tower adaptation was in the works over the past couple of decades? That were super confirmed to be totally happening but then would just vanish with a wet fart? :negative:

And what the gently caress was that 2017 movie supposed to be?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Death By The Blues posted:

Seems like that component of HBO is veering from adult/mature fare to arrested development young adult poo poo.
Not sure I want a prequel about the Bluths. Also, isn't that Disney's?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...! posted:

Do you have any idea how many times I've heard people claim that a proper Dark Tower adaptation was in the works over the past couple of decades? That were super confirmed to be totally happening but then would just vanish with a wet fart? :negative:

And what the gently caress was that 2017 movie supposed to be?

The Hunger Games. It was supposed to be The Hunger Games.

(We should probably stop the derail, but I will never forgive them for using the opening line from The Gunslinger... while Flagg/Padick is chasing ROLAND)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I knew about the Penguin show but there’s going to be an It prequel?

Coked out TV Exec: We gotta do something that's never been done before. Imagine IT.... but set in the 1950s!

Edit: Oh my God I just read up on it and it's legit set in the 1960s? :lol:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

SilentChaz posted:

Technically relevant because the writers and actors aren't seeing royalties from all the streaming these shows like Suits and Breaking Bad are doing. :eng99:

I mean at least one actor sees royalty every day

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
IT prequel is shooting all over the toronto suburbs before the strike shut it down. They were supposed to do a 10 month shoot straight which means they are dropping a ton of money also set mostly in the 60s. Shooting in the same town they did the films for a portion of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is it kid actors again? Would be hilarious if they had to shoot earlier scenes around sudden growth spurts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jerusalem posted:

Is it kid actors again? Would be hilarious if they had to shoot earlier scenes around sudden growth spurts.

No it’s about the lovely town and it takes place before and it sounds dope. I don’t get the hate.

More skarsgard pennywise is great.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The book is filled with little short story type asides about Pennywise Pennywising throughout the history of the town. I hope they do the one where they turn in to the Creature from the Black Lagoon and rip a kid apart limb from limb.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 9, 2023

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

No it’s about the lovely town and it takes place before and it sounds dope. I don’t get the hate.

I can't speak too much on it signed an NDA but uh maybe dissapointed by how much pennywise in it as opposed to some sort of nebulous extraterrestrial demoniac entity is around. More so all those jump scare set piece gags in the 2nd film but instead of penny wise its various spooky things. Also, yea there is a gang of kids and also touches on racism of the time and the cold war.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://deadline.com/2023/09/writers-strike-contract-talks-latest-1235541351/

quote:

The Writers Guild told its members Friday that despite the united front the streamers and studios have shown in public during the guild’s 130-day strike, several of the legacy companies privately have expressed “both the desire and willingness to negotiate an agreement that adequately addresses writers’ issues.”

One studio executive even told the guild that “they needed a deal badly,” the WGA said.

Can't wait for the AMPTP to fracture.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The AMPTP has been fractured from almost the beginning from what I can tell

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What will you be, AMPTP? Hammer or anvil?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can't speak too much on it signed an NDA but uh maybe dissapointed by how much pennywise in it as opposed to some sort of nebulous extraterrestrial demoniac entity is around. More so all those jump scare set piece gags in the 2nd film but instead of penny wise its various spooky things. Also, yea there is a gang of kids and also touches on racism of the time and the cold war.

Still down tbh

The nebulous demonic entity is pennywise

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

WGA and SAG should’ve tried to get them individually from the beginning.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Oh it wasn't hate, just surprise to learn it existed and also finding it ironic that the "prequel" is still set AFTER the timeframe from the original book.

Also a little bit of trepidation I guess. I loved the first part of the new IT films but the second was a deep disappointment.

Gotta figure that Netflix for example ain't happy they haven't really been able to properly cash in on the surprisingly positive reception and popularity of One Piece, especially considering how much money it cost to make.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
There is stuff that stretches in the past like how Pennywise plays into the lore of the indigenous community that surrounds Derry and how it incorporates into their folklore.

But yea I wanna get back to work they hosed us over with the strike in the summer. No one wants to work in the Canadian winter outside on road locations for 14-16 hour days if they do come back over the next couple weeks or month. Its gonna be bitter and cold.

Death By The Blues fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 9, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FlamingLiberal posted:

The AMPTP has been fractured from almost the beginning from what I can tell

Not the beginning, I’d surmise, but the longer the strikes have drawn out the division between the companies that have to schedule a prime time network lineup and those who don’t have manifested themselves.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

..how Pennywise plays into the lore of the indigenous community that surrounds Dairy…

They really are milking it for all its worth, huh.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I thought for sure it was spelled Dairy my entire life, only having seen the Curry version, figuring that the town sprung around a dairy farm or something, and the moment I saw that it was Derry like three years ago and much like any time the packaging changes on like, a salt a buy regularly or whatever, my mind was like THIS BULLSHIT WILL NOT STAND for a moment.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Edward Mass posted:

Not the beginning, I’d surmise, but the longer the strikes have drawn out the division between the companies that have to schedule a prime time network lineup and those who don’t have manifested themselves.

There's a part of me that wonders how much of it comes down to personalities as well. Like, are there a couple of CEOs who are ideologically committed to breaking the unions? Or, hell, are one or more of the company heads thinking that drawing it out longer will hurt their competitors worse and make them easier prey for an acquisition (or at least less threatening to market share)?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a part of me that wonders how much of it comes down to personalities as well. Like, are there a couple of CEOs who are ideologically committed to breaking the unions? Or, hell, are one or more of the company heads thinking that drawing it out longer will hurt their competitors worse and make them easier prey for an acquisition (or at least less threatening to market share)?

I mean, anti-union businesses really mostly come down to two things:

1. The owner is authoritarian and would never share willingly power with anyone inside or outside their organization on principle.

2. The business is in a non-competitive field or is astriving to be in a non-competitive field. Take state grift such as Tesla or Amazon or more old-school regional monopolies like Walmart. If you're in the business of collecting rent through political maneuvering or monopolization, the last thing you want is a union to have any say in what their share of that rent is.

Either way, union-breaking is core to your business.

WGA and SAG-AFTRA are on the receiving ends of both of these. You have authoritarian owners, you have state grift, lack of competition and attempts at creating monopolies simultaneously.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/1701110118870659085
A Twitter thread about what exactly is going on in regards to Drew Barrymore's talk show and the plans to bring it back. Basically she isn't violating SAG-AFTRA strike rules since talk shows are under a different agreement which is currently valid (as long as she doesn't promote struck work) but it does fall under WGA's strike and so having the show at all means that someone is doing work that should be done by a WGA writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So the legacy companies want to do deals? Don’t they also run most of the Streaming Services too?

max, paramount plus, peacock, Hulu, Disney…

So they’re really saying that Apple, Amazon and Netflix are being dicks?