Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

got a link to that? I’m very invested as a pet owner

Yup. Though again, this was mostly fairly old (pre-omicron) surveillance and largely tapered off in the spring of last year, so with the new variants who knows?

Where the 25% figure came from.

quote:

The testing has involved more than six hundred animals—mostly in Central Texas—who live in households where at least one human has COVID. Only about a quarter of the pets from which Hamer’s team has taken samples since June 2020 have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, and just one quarter of those infected pets were symptomatic. Some suffered sneezing, diarrhea, runny noses, and irritated eyes, but the most common symptom owners reported was lethargy: their dogs and cats simply seemed lazier than usual.

Another study from Europe found approximately 20% infection rate from infected owner to pet (they also tested for antibodies to prove previous infection).

quote:

With pets in 40/196 households (20.4%) having antibodies for the virus, the study reveals that COVID-19 is highly prevalent in pets of people who have had the disease.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1700112938177036738?t=IT5cBV9D2kveSNIJkA02eg&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding of depleted uranium is that it’s 90% as radioactive as enriched uranium but that slight decrease is enough to affect its ability to reach critical mass for fission

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/JimRosenthal4/status/1699860308741833170
https://www.texairfilters.com/testi...article-levels/

As always, it's insane that these aren't in every single public space.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding of depleted uranium is that it’s 90% as radioactive as enriched uranium but that slight decrease is enough to affect its ability to reach critical mass for fission

It’s more like sixty percent, but the number of spontaneous decays per second per gram isn’t what matters for fission. Stable isotopes can be fissile.

Anyway, uranium a toxic heavy metal. U‑235 and U‑238 behave almost exactly the same in chemical reactions. They’d gently caress you up even if they were somehow not radioactive.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I took in both my cats to the vet for their yearly checkups at the beginning of the year. This was the first time since the pandemic started that my vet location relaxed their Covid protocols as they used to do curbside “pickup” of your pets. I went in with an N95, but in the following week both my cats came down with some weird illness that caused a lot of lethargy, diarrhea and the usual lack of eating that required some emergency vet visits to avoid dehydration.

The diagnoses were generalized gastroenteritis, since all the blood work ruled out other diseases, but following that horrible experience (and costly vet bills) I suspected they caught something at the initial vet checkup visit. Reading all this stuff about human to pet Covid transmission is a bummer because now I’m wondering if it might’ve been Covid?? Really sucks that I can’t protect my cats in a normal vet visit in any case :(

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My brother went to a con and welp, the sore throat and headache turned into COVID on the 3rd test!!

he wasn’t even going to test a 3rd time but his travel buddy was like “Yo I got COVID”

Anyways day 3 now and it hurt to swallow anything so my pushes to get Pax finally went through and he is on it. Let’s hope it kicks on in

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://twitter.com/briimii/status/1700252858392961479

Wonder how much premiums will be going up come November here in the US's lovely healthcare system.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

yeah shits hosed, I remember reading something about it a year ago and oh yeah here it is from the replies,
https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1700270979988279781
https://twitter.com/LauraMiers/status/1700290098221224403

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I bought travel insurance for a future trip and it was insanely expensive

but the providers also had definitive "we treat Covid like any other illness" terms, hedged extremely carefully by saying "we do not consider FEAR of catching Covid a legitimate cancellation reason" lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I bought travel insurance for a future trip and it was insanely expensive

but the providers also had definitive "we treat Covid like any other illness" terms, hedged extremely carefully by saying "we do not consider FEAR of catching Covid a legitimate cancellation reason" lmao

Appoint me judge, and I will rule this clause null & void as contrary to public interest.

It’s like property insurers not paying out if you evacuate ahead of a hurricane.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/wsbgnl/status/1700002952101134592?s=46

“when people who don’t mask start masking” seems to be holding up

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

“when people who don’t mask start masking” seems to be holding up
might as well be in the op at this point lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m willing to take the hit at this point to say maybe we should just kill all white people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
In some other, still pestilence related news, new strain of mutated avian flu is popping off.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...edda63d084&ei=7

quote:

A subtype of avian influenza found in Chinese poultry farms is undergoing mutations which may increase the risk of widespread human transmission.

This is the warning of a team of scientists from China and the UK, who are calling for "concerted research" to monitor the evolution of the viruses and the threat they may pose.

In their study, the researchers analyzed a sample of H3N8 taken from a human patient, using laboratory ferrets and mice as models for human infection.

They found that the strain has undergone several adaptive changes that allow it to cause severe animal infections - and have facilitated airborne transmission between animals.

The virus, Prof. Chang continued, "was extremely harmful in its effects in laboratory mammalian hosts and could be passed on through respiratory droplets".

"Acid resistance of influenza virus is also an important barrier for avian influenza virus to overcome to acquire the adaptability and transmissibility in new mammals of humans.

"The current novel H3N8 virus has not acquired the acid resistance yet. So, we should pay attention to the change in acid resistance of the novel H3N8 virus."

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Parity warning posted:

i thought that was just oracle taking the piss but that's actually in there lmfao

Yeah, the article is pretty sweet, if you are a big fan of idiocy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m willing to take the hit at this point to say maybe we should just kill all white people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

more genocide in the covid thread

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/LostAdult2/status/1700271167112941921

Not sure if accurate, but seems bad if so

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jizzny Princess posted:

In some other, still pestilence related news, new strain of mutated avian flu is popping off.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...edda63d084&ei=7

*reflexively* bird flu uh, can't spread in schools

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Meanwhile, Ed Sheeran has had covid at least 7 times. :shepface:

Touring musicians are speedrunning the "what happens if you keep getting reinfected" experiment, albeit with the confounder that they won't have much recovery time between bouts with the virus. Impossible to say at the moment if getting it 7 times in 3 years is worse than 7 times in 10 years, though it very well might be.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

the main red flag for its accuracy is that it's just so simple. actuaries love ridiculously complex formulas. there's really no way they're not taking into account at the very least [proxies for] vaccination status and age when estimating the impact of an infection

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

the main red flag for its accuracy is that it's just so simple. actuaries love ridiculously complex formulas. there's really no way they're not taking into account at the very least [proxies for] vaccination status and age when estimating the impact of an infection
Plus severity of each infection, etc. Whether someone lands in the hospital on some kind of supportive care matters a lot. Being put on a ventilator is a huge deal.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Meanwhile, Ed Sheeran has had covid at least 7 times. :shepface:

Touring musicians are speedrunning the "what happens if you keep getting reinfected" experiment, albeit with the confounder that they won't have much recovery time between bouts with the virus. Impossible to say at the moment if getting it 7 times in 3 years is worse than 7 times in 10 years, though it very well might be.

I mean it almost certainly is.

If immune damage takes an average of something like eight months to recover, any frequency of infection more often than that is going to lead to cumulative immune damage. These performers obviously have the money and access to get fairly high quality care and treatment, which is probably keeping them from getting hit too bad, but those T-cells take a while to recover even in younger folks, and every COVID infection kills some.

I'd think the same is true for just the general organ damage from a COVID infection. The less time to heal between bouts the more likely that damage to a particular organ accumulates to the point of causing longer term issues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Impossible to say at the moment if getting it 7 times in 3 years is worse than 7 times in 10 years, though it very well might be.

Obviously the latter is preferable because in those extra seven years, the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 will have evolved to be even more mild.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I just got private life insurance. There were zero COVID questions.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rochallor posted:

*reflexively* bird flu uh, can't spread in schools

Bird flu spreads in flocks, fish flu spreads in schools

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

on this day in 2021

:rock::rock:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

40 million covid cases, I repeat to myself, as a mantra.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SardonicTyrant posted:

40 million covid cases, I repeat to myself, as a mantra.

40 million reported covid cases

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

40 million reported covid cases
Thank you.
40 million reported cases, 40 million reported cases, 40 million reported cases...

I take refuge in the tools we have,
I take refuge in the mildness,
I take refuge in following CDC guidelines...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/jenniferhulme/status/1677718093508878336?s=46

it’s begun

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's "ma", which is good, and it's "nulife", which is also good! ma-nulife jerry!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I'm trying to get my life insurance policy upped now before they just stop offering them all together.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
it’s not going to matter anyway, lol. if you die and they don’t want to pay, they’ll just trap your loved ones in binding arbitration/legal hell until they’re bled dry.

the law for these people is like your door lock for a cop, just a social convention.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
For sure but it's the best chance I've got to give Mrs Parasite a little safety net when covid/rear end cancer/climate-change/biosphere collapse/whatever bust a cap in my rear end :shrug:.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
im gotta get a life insurance policy to collateraliez a loan...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DickParasite posted:

For sure but it's the best chance I've got to give Mrs Parasite a little safety net when covid/rear end cancer/climate-change/biosphere collapse/whatever bust a cap in my rear end :shrug:.

hey, same

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
Well, started to feel like we were gonna be done, but partner got a faint line this morning after a couple days of negatives. She's pretty pissed about it, understandably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I popped positive this morning after developing some symptoms last night. This will be my second round with COVID, though I don't feel nearly as bad as I did my first time last July. Already picked up my paxlovid.

Gonna hunker down on my sofa with LOTR on in the background, my switch, and a ton of fluids. Anyone got any favorite story rich indie rpgs for the Switch they like?