Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

ilmucche posted:

Debating getting a copy of algomancy, even though I don't think it'll take off too well and have noone to play with
Note the lovely ai art too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Ignore the AI art, back : Larry Elmore: The Complete Elmore Volume III hardcover book

All the addons are gone in an hour, he said more are coming.

Also, it is not cheap.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Midhalla tried to play the artificially low goal game and came up short.

20k goal. 100k raised. Canceled because that doesn't begin to cover manufacturing - which makes you wonder where the 20k goal came from.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eikejmeyer/midhalla/posts/3900084

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

20k goal. 100k raised. Canceled because that doesn't begin to cover manufacturing

9,999,999,999% FUNDED IN 1MIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!
poo poo like this is how backers get loving scammed by having to appeal to the KS algorithm, and you don't get to use that as part of your apology.

If your goal is 20k, you raise 500% of that, and that still doesn't cover costs? gently caress you, gently caress off, and keep loving off forever.
100% there'd be problems with timelines, shipping costs, etc down the line.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Everyone gets their money back though, right?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ilmucche posted:

Everyone gets their money back though, right?

Since they cancelled it before it funded, yes, nobody even paid in the first place.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
It'd be great if KS had a policy of terminating relationships with users who attempt to disingenuously game the system like that, but obviously a heartly lol at the idea of them ever doing anything to improve the user experience.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They'll do it in the block chain.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reading some of the responses and wondering why nobody asked "why didn't you set a goal that could cover your costs?"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Reading some of the responses and wondering why nobody asked "why didn't you set a goal that could cover your costs?"

They actually answered that themselves in the post in hilariously bald-faced fashion no less:

quote:

Some may now ask at this point, why the funding goal was around 20k. Those of you who have done marketing for Kickstarter campaigns or are experienced backers will likely know that this number is really mostly a marketing number without any merit on most Kickstarters, as backers have been shown to avoid projects openly showing high funding goals. If this irritates you I can fully understand it and I apologise fort that.

Literally just "yeah we lied to game the system, but really you should have expected us to because EVERYONE knows that number is just marketing anyway."

It's pretty sad that everyone in the comments is just patting them on the back over it, though.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's just bullshit.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They're like the kind of people who go on eBay and put in a low price in case other people's bids are also low, and then raising the bid when automatically outbid, or being worried about a payrise because it'll mean you pay more tax. Geniouses.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"You gotta do this if you wanna be successful" loses some steam when it manifestly did not work when you did it. At least now they can join the ranks of embittered failed kickstarter dudes, I'd say you wouldn't believe the mileage people wring outta that one except actually we all totally would, lol.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's lowballing your goal in the hopes you'll get it when you go over and then there's setting your goal so low that 500% over doesn't cover costs. The first is marketing, the second is loving idiocy and I wish them poorly in any future endeavors.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was kind of intrigued by the KS for The Magnus Archives RPG, but it's Cypher and they want 75 United States dollary-doos for a hardback. Is Cypher actually any good?

I'm getting the The One Ring's Moria special edition for that price. The 2e one is gorgeous and I love dwarves, so I'm in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Echophonic posted:

I was kind of intrigued by the KS for The Magnus Archives RPG, but it's Cypher and they want 75 United States dollary-doos for a hardback. Is Cypher actually any good?

Realtalk? Not really. Unlike the board game flop upthread, Monte Cook Games at least delivers on their projects, but the Cypher system is eminently forgettable and I don't think a single game made using it has ever actually been good. People made fun of Invisible Sun for its overwrought plastic tchotchkes but when you dug beneath all of that stuff what you found was a game that squandered every halfway interesting concept it might have brought up mixed with a lot of boring generic stuff.

Also, as someone who actually listened to the entire Magnus Archives podcast: I really fail to see what meat on the bone there is for an RPG that isn't just yet another paranormal investigatory RPG, of which plenty already exist.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

Realtalk? Not really. Unlike the board game flop upthread, Monte Cook Games at least delivers on their projects, but the Cypher system is eminently forgettable and I don't think a single game made using it has ever actually been good. People made fun of Invisible Sun for its overwrought plastic tchotchkes but when you dug beneath all of that stuff what you found was a game that squandered every halfway interesting concept it might have brought up mixed with a lot of boring generic stuff.

Yeah, this is the truth. Monte Cook Games will consistently deliver and generally has high production values, but the Cypher system is shockingly uninteresting and strips the flavor out of everything it touches. (I bought the Invisible Sun BLACK CUBE because I love ridiculous roleplaying objects and dumb feelies, and the greatest sin of that game by far is that it'll describe something really cool, and then the mechanics are "+2 to some roll." It's all oatmeal.) If you're looking for a nicely-produced fan thing for the Magnus Archives, it might be good, but I wouldn't expect anything out of it as a game besides "you can technically play this."

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

They're like the kind of people who go on eBay and put in a low price in case other people's bids are also low, and then raising the bid when automatically outbid, or being worried about a payrise because it'll mean you pay more tax. Geniouses.

eBay auctions would be a lot more fun if the second-place bidder had six hours to swipe the auction at winning max bid + 5%. What’s your strategy now, snipers?

Snipers at at least less annoying than fake Kickstarter goals because if you’re honest about your max bid it doesn’t really affect the final outcome.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Stickman posted:

eBay auctions would be a lot more fun if the second-place bidder had six hours to swipe the auction at winning max bid + 5%. What’s your strategy now, snipers?

Snipers at at least less annoying than fake Kickstarter goals because if you’re honest about your max bid it doesn’t really affect the final outcome.

An American firearms-focused auction site has a fantastic solution to sniping that should be standard on every auction site: a bid automatically extends the auction by some fixed amount (5 mins? Not sure but it's only a few minutes). So as long as people are actively bidding & being outbid, the auction doesn't end.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I’m a Magnus junkie; listened since like halfway through Season 1. I backed the Magnus Protocol Kickstarter for probably more than I should have. I’m taking a pass on the RPG; I’m kind of shocked at how lame it looks given how into tabletop the cast & crew are.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, if it had been designed by Johnny and Sasha I'd have backed it immediately, but the Cypher system makes it a hard pass. I might pick up the PDF on sale in a couple of years to mine for content for a paranormal investigation game (or Mage the Awakening), but it just looks supremely uninteresting as its own thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sounds like I made the right decision passing on it.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

An American firearms-focused auction site has a fantastic solution to sniping that should be standard on every auction site: a bid automatically extends the auction by some fixed amount (5 mins? Not sure but it's only a few minutes). So as long as people are actively bidding & being outbid, the auction doesn't end.

The hair on the back of my neck rose when I read the first half of that first sentence, ngl

The "auction auto-extends a bit any time someone places a winning bid near the end" is a pretty reliable auction tweak though yeah.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Propstore, the prop/costume auction house does it too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Eyes Have It posted:

An American firearms-focused auction site has a fantastic solution to sniping

Well, it would.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Isofarian Guard Second Printing is up on Gamefound, if you missed it the first time around. There's also an update pack that reprints all the original books with some adjustments to make it a little more forgiving and less grindy, and adds all the new stuff added in this campaign.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 5, 2023

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I've launched a Backerkit campaign for a horror rpg zine scenario - The Night Clerk. https://www.backerkit.com/c/ross-payton/the-night-clerk-a-horror-ttrpg-scenario-zine

The Night Clerk is a system agnostic scenario usable in any modern horror game. Based on one of Role Playing Public Radio's most popular actual play episodes, The Night Clerk has been updated, after years of fine tuning and is ready for your gaming table.

Characters check in at the Sleep Easy Inn, a cheap hotel, for the night and wake up...somewhere else. At first, it looks like the hotel but the windows show only a black void outside and no one can open a door or break a window to escape. The guests are now trapped in an infinite labyrinth designed to break their minds. Escape is possible but only if they find the Night Clerk, the person who trapped them in the first place or the 13th Floor, the heart of the labyrinth.

The Night Clerk is a full color 44 page zine featuring a new monster, tables for unnatural artifacts, random encounters, and more! It's a flexible framework to make a unique architectural horror experience for your playing group.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

Isofarian Guard Second Printing is up on Gamefound, if you missed it the first time around. There's also an update pack that reprints all the original books with some adjustments to make it a little more forgiving and less grindy, and adds all the new stuff added in this campaign.

Any opinion on this game?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

iceyman posted:

Any opinion on this game?

It's pretty cool. A good campaign that is a lot more "open world" than most, in that aside from going to quest objectives and story quests, you can go gather materials to build up a home city, grind enemies (to a certain point, it does limit you), and things like that. There is some degree of grinding because of this but the combat is fun so I don't mind it. Also some of the changes they are making in the new printing are supposed to alleviate that a bit. The combat is interesting, it's a "bag builder" I guess. You have a draw bag for each of your characters and leveling and gear and stuff will put certain chips in the bag but so will combat actions, and some chips persist until the next time they're drawn. So you can use a weak combat to stock your bag with one time positive draws and get rid of temporary negative effects before the next big fight.

It is a HUGE table space hog, so make sure you have a playing surface the size of a football field. 1-2 players only.

Also the in-box organization and trays are fantastic and really help with having a relatively quick setup and tear down for this big of a game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
1889 delivery is right around the corner (depending on location) :toot:

I always liked 1830 but never really got into other 18xx so I have a healthy curiosity about 1889.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

drat, Far West came out.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

drat, Far West came out.

In many ways the end of an era, possibly the season finale of TRPGs and Kickstarters, whats the point after this epic.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lord_Hambrose posted:

drat, Far West came out.
Yep. $29.95 in PDF form on DTRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/452473/Far-West

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kind of ballsy to say "over a decade in development" on the pitch page.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Frankly? I respect the poo poo out of that.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

That Old Tree posted:

"Crime, once exposed, has no refuge but in audacity."
- Cornelius Tacitus

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I agree this is a “close thread forever” moment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

fr0id posted:

I agree this is a “close thread forever” moment.

I mean, it's over seven years old. It might even be time for another one.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

With both Far West and Break!! out, I'm excited to see what happens when the next Seal opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

With both Far West and Break!! out, I'm excited to see what happens when the next Seal opens.

5.5e is actually good.