Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

rotor posted:

types schmypes

dhh's alt spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you know its just gonna end up as a string somewhere eventually

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the thing that gets me about type brained people is that they go on and on about safety, when the actually useful thing about types is being able to do safe transformations of code, in your editor

this is the wisdom imparted to me by spj

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
types are cool and good

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
also i do want to mention the paper "threesomes: with and without blame" because you need to understand that type theorists are not serious people

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

types are cool and good

you know what's cooler than types? reflection

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cant do reflection without types

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

idk i feel like u can but its friday and im not gonna think about it any more

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you dont have types then theres nothing to reflect on

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like reflection and good editing experiences

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef posted:

you know what's cooler than types? reflection

shove this in your type hole and reflect it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

sure, but it's funny that reflection is usually something restricted to dynamic languages, when it's really, really useful

like, go makes heavy use of reflection to handle serialization and deserialization

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bloody posted:

I like reflection and good editing experiences

reflection is great, big reflection fan here, but im not sure what definition of “reflection” implies strong typing

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if a language is turing-complete you can't prove nontrivial properties of its programs

you can write lots of interesting and even useful programs in languages that are carefully designed to not be turing-complete, and prove things about them

alternatively, you can use a type system to create a simplified model of the constraints in a turing-complete program, and then prove things about that model

if the type system is sufficiently powerful you wind up even worse than you started, unable to conclusively prove things about a simplified model of something you can't conclusively prove things about

some type-checking is very handy, but there's a diminishing return, and you can easily invent hideously complicated problems for yourself that don't actually need to exist

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bad news nerdlingers: aint no one doing proofs and poo poo

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

getting so mad at all of u

Shaggar posted:

types are cool and good

except for shaggar, shaggar was right

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

tef posted:

also i do want to mention the paper "threesomes: with and without blame" because you need to understand that type theorists are not serious people

without looking it up I knew this was gonna be some phil wadler horseshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

sure, but it's funny that reflection is usually something restricted to dynamic languages, when it's really, really useful

like, go makes heavy use of reflection to handle serialization and deserialization

.net also uses reflection for serialization

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or code generators which are like reflection except Sooner

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

leper khan posted:

Ruby has a thing like obj-c swizzle too

well yeah it’s basically just Smalltalk with much worse syntax

just use Smalltalk or ObjC

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Internet Janitor posted:

if a language is turing-complete you can't prove nontrivial properties of its programs

you can't build a general method for finding a proof that's deterministic (terminates)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef posted:

you can't build a general method for finding a proof that's deterministic (terminates)

maybe we just havent tried hard enough

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

tef posted:

the thing that gets me about type brained people is that they go on and on about safety, when the actually useful thing about types is being able to do safe transformations of code, in your editor

this is the wisdom imparted to me by spj

this is why automapper drives me nuts

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Internet Janitor posted:

This is wrong. It is a basic school exercise to prove soundness ("absence of crashes") for toy Turing complete typed languages. (Which I guess is a trivial property in the theoretical sense if the language is well designed.) People also prove nontrivial properties of languages written in Turing-complete languages... not all the time because it is a chore, but it's hardly never, and certainly not impossible. Rice's theorem is really not as big a problem as that.

Athas fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 9, 2023

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i did meet someone who went on about determinism and proofs in software, but i found out they did total functional programming

so i gotta appreciate them commiting to the bit

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

susan b buffering posted:

this is why automapper drives me nuts

the guy who wrote automapper wrote a lengthy explanation of why his company pragmatically came up with it to efficiently solve a very specific production issue in their particular codebase

in the spirit of chesterton's fence, after reading that explanation i now feel vastly more confident in declaring that automapper is wrong and nobody should use it ever, including the original author and his company

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
been thinking a lot lately about how chestertons fence is only a useful parable if your predecessors aren’t morons with a penchant for fence building

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is total function programming where you literally type a lambda on your typewriter

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my homie dhall posted:

been thinking a lot lately about how chestertons fence is only a useful parable if your predecessors aren’t morons with a penchant for fence building

so you figured out why the fence was there

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

NihilCredo posted:

the guy who wrote automapper wrote a lengthy explanation of why his company pragmatically came up with it to efficiently solve a very specific production issue in their particular codebase

in the spirit of chesterton's fence, after reading that explanation i now feel vastly more confident in declaring that automapper is wrong and nobody should use it ever, including the original author and his company

i gotta ask what the gently caress people are doing

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

rotor posted:

bad news nerdlingers: aint no one doing proofs and poo poo

This continues to make me sad on an ongoing basis. Most people don't even read papers.

Bloody posted:

or code generators which are like reflection except Sooner

I see people code gen reflection in performance sensitive contexts and it makes me very upset.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

leper khan posted:

This continues to make me sad on an ongoing basis. Most people don't even read papers.

hey, some of us can’t read

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
if reading papers is so important maybe they shouldnt all be formatted as two column pdfs that are annoying as gently caress to read on a computer or phone

also they should be written in language me, a college dropout, can understand. none of these drat weird symbols either. dont know how im supposed to just remember what poo poo the half-life logo means in computers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

if reading papers is so important maybe they shouldnt all be formatted as two column pdfs that are annoying as gently caress to read on a computer or phone

also they should be written in language me, a college dropout, can understand. none of these drat weird symbols either. dont know how im supposed to just remember what poo poo the half-life logo means in computers

don't worry about it, all the good papers are behind a paywall

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

:eng101: PLDI papers are single-column

abraham linksys posted:

honestly this is a problem even for us programming language PhD-doers: the phrase "how's Figure 2" is shorthand for "how much inscrutable nonsense in symbol form am I going to have to parse", saying nothing of everyone else who hasn't had training or experience in even the simple things like reading typing rules, etc :(

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

yeah that article is good. thankfully replacing it is the sort of menial activity meetings were invented for

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Dijkstracula posted:

:eng101: PLDI papers are single-column

honestly this is a problem even for us programming language PhD-doers: the phrase "how's Figure 2" is shorthand for "how much inscrutable nonsense in symbol form am I going to have to parse", saying nothing of everyone else who hasn't had training or experience in even the simple things like reading typing rules, etc :(

parsing papers deserve a special shoutout

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

Thinking about this a bit more: there have been a few talks at places like Papers We Love Conf that do a good job of explaining the basics of reading PL papers: Ron Garcia's keynote is an especially good, broad survey of "what even are all these greek symbols"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyz3lWH2bA

It focuses primary on how to read papers with type theory in it because Ron's a type guy - I could have sworn I'd come across a broader one but damned if I can find it now. Nonetheless it's still a good talk imho

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dijkstracula posted:

Thinking about this a bit more: there have been a few talks at places like Papers We Love Conf that do a good job of explaining the basics of reading PL papers: Ron Garcia's keynote is an especially good, broad survey of "what even are all these greek symbols"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVyz3lWH2bA

It focuses primary on how to read papers with type theory in it because Ron's a type guy - I could have sworn I'd come across a broader one but damned if I can find it now. Nonetheless it's still a good talk imho

gonna watch this during my ketamine infusion today, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if you dont have types then theres nothing to reflect on

in javascript you simply call Function.prototype.toString() then use an npm hosted library to parse the function you're "reflecting" on