Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol "you"re a sperm led by its waving flagellum, mistaking its random motion for complexity"

Demerzel spending her 5000 years in solitary workshopping insults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Demerzel: Your wiggly penis, Lebowski!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was a fun episode. I'm looking forward to seeing what plans Demerzel has for Empire. Her explaining to Day that she molds him and him not getting it was great.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Foundation 1 could indeed be over but like you all said that planet was undeveloped for the technical progress they had made otherwise. I do think that Terminus was just the decoy

Or that was really it and now on to foundation 2

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Foundation 2: Electric Hari Boogaloo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Episode was cool. The thing that stuck out to me the most was the Beggar shouting a warning about an “isothermal” event. What did the writers think this meant because isothermal literally means “constant temperature” so there was no risk of explosion or fire, and the ship’s hatch was open so there’s no risk of (de)pressurization.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 9, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For that matter I lolled at "vent all the oxygen in the airlock". Dude you're at ground level, venting does not do that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I read the scene at the end where Dermerzel paused for a moment before owning Day as her getting a message from her home security system saying Dusk was found snooping around, not as her realizing her programming had changed.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Hi I’m Salvor Hardin, I fall for the same trick repeatedly no matter how many times I am fooled by it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fight was ruined for me because Salvor kept falling for that stupid trick. She's fighting the guy and then "oh no, now it's my old boyfriend" I get falling for it once or twice but she fell for it every time.

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
Fighting psychics is hard, because they are using your own mind against you. Her reactions seemed to improve as the fight progressed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Data Graham posted:

For that matter I lolled at "vent all the oxygen in the airlock". Dude you're at ground level, venting does not do that

Both doors were closed so venting the airlock would remove all the air.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Both doors were closed so venting the airlock would remove all the air.

Go sit in your car and close the doors and then open the windows to vent the air. What happens?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Go sit in your car and close the doors and then open the windows to vent the air. What happens?

That's not how an airlock works. Airlocks have to be able to remove the air from the room so they're not constantly just blasting it out into space whenever someone leaves.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

That's not how an airlock works. Airlocks have to be able to remove the air from the room so they're not constantly just blasting it out into space whenever someone leaves.

I think the nit being picked is the word vent, instead of suck or displace or whatever.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 9, 2023

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think the nit being picked is the word vent, instead of suck or displace or whatever.

Vent is the correct verb to use here. The air in the airlock is being mechanically vented to the exterior using fans etc. Not sure what you’re imagining.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah you're being really pedantic over a thing that every airlock in every sci-fi show does. Every airlock in everything sucks the air out and saves it for later. It doesn't just shoot the air out into space.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Cojawfee posted:

The fight was ruined for me because Salvor kept falling for that stupid trick. She's fighting the guy and then "oh no, now it's my old boyfriend" I get falling for it once or twice but she fell for it every time.
Yeah this bothered me a lot, she's even falling for it as he's dying, but the fight choreography was so good it sorta overwrote that stupidity and ended as enjoyable.
To help lessen the blow of stupidity, I would be OK imagining that she isn't just seeing her dead boyfriend, she's also mentally being convinced that it is him. That kind of psychic attack would result in what her actor is portraying.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, they've established that the mentallics aren't just projecting illusions or whatever, they're actively pressuring people to their will. She's not being tricked, she's being compelled.
Yeah this. It's not exactly easy to get this across to the viewer.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 9, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Dead on Arrival posted:

Fighting psychics is hard, because they are using your own mind against you. Her reactions seemed to improve as the fight progressed.

Yeah, they've established that the mentallics aren't just projecting illusions or whatever, they're actively pressuring people to their will. She's not being tricked, she's being compelled.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this was incredibly dumb, plus that fight went on WAY too long, come on this is some random mental shapeshifter not the season boss. Blemish on an otherwise fantastic episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Did Demerzel mess up when she told Bel Riose that’s why SHE chose him? He seemed sorta confused and like he was piecing together that Day isn’t in control, it’s her.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DaveKap posted:

As far as the battle being a performance... I am pretty sure they mentioned last episode that when the Invictus warps, it creates a black hole. There is the possibility that it did actually warp as it crashed into the planet because that was always the plan. You could say Psychohistory knew that Day would want to throw it into the planet, they were always prepared for it, and the black hole left behind by a warp caused all the destruction we saw. The thing was certainly spinning the way it's supposed to when it warps and the black hole was right there inside it as it crashed. Doesn't really make sense it would form from just being shot at a bunch. Finally, perhaps the reason Terminus looked so poorly developed was because most of the actual development was happening somewhere else anyway. Maybe at the Second Foundation?

A performance as in an intentional sacrificial play to fool the empire a second time. The first was using the Invictus to mimic the signal of a stellar phenomenon that made empire think they had been destroyed for almost a century.

It makes more sense that the three groups of people joining forces with decades to prepare didn't just spend that time to stay exactly the same size in that one city with the one big ship they had exactly where Empire sent them. The size of the Foundation in this timeline has never been established one way or the other so unless it's bad writing that doesn't consider points like this then they wouldn't be gone, they just made a really convincing performance to get Empire to leave them the gently caress alone.

That would firmly establish in the mind of Empire that the Foundation is dead and they exist nowhere. He won. He blew up their entire planet. There is no certainty now that Empire can just go "Hey, what about the home base of those assholes that hate us? When was the last time we swung by there? Trillions of people know their address."

With the shows writing though they really could have just been lazy idiots that got genocided and "Foundation" is a mantle carried forth by different people in the next crisis or something. Hari could be the one that killed them all like that for the greater good and the Terminus people really thought they were doing a good job or something. They wouldn't be aware of the performance at that point and sticking around their home base after Hober Mallow literally attacked the palace in one of their ships is because they are dumb and didn't think to fly away in the Invictus to literally anywhere else.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 9, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If it was part of their plan to just get killed as a show, that must have sucked to be selected to be one of the people that gets to die.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard to believe that they were dumb enough to hang around their single home base with their single ship after Seldon's plan 9/11'd the Empire. They had scenes where the militarized scientific portion of Foundation outright said they were up to other things in preparation while the priests went around tricking people.

The space scientists would either have to have spent all that time devising a plan where they thought a single older ship could handle an entire Empire of millions of worlds with entire waves of fleets of ships so well that the women and children could still watch their victory in orbit from space starbucks ...or literally anything else. They already hid their presence once before and were founded by scientists and their children focused exclusively on the tens of millenia view so it makes sense at least.

Either way Seldon destroyed Terminus. If they did populate it with religious volunteers to buy time then he is a little less of an rear end in a top hat than exploding a populated planet because it helped him collapse Empire for the Plan.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 9, 2023

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I agree with Terminus being a decoy. Its eerily similar to how in the books the second foundation mollified the Mule in the end. By tricking him to visit and then glass some backwater planet, believing it was where they were based. That part was p cool so im sure they wanted to reuse it - as the Mule probably has another end planned for him here.

e: Hell its almost like theyre mashing the stories of the first and second foundations together here. By that guess theyre actually based on Trantor by now :rolleyes:

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 9, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

They wouldn't be aware of the performance at that point
Our major clue is the line the Invictus captain gives his crewmate about the company performing, which indicates they are aware of the performance. That's all I'm working with, really.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

If it was part of their plan to just get killed as a show, that must have sucked to be selected to be one of the people that gets to die.

Harry’s kind of a dick

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So do we pretty much all agree that was the best episode of the series?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I like Gaal and Salvor's reaction to Hari crushing the psykers skull.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

So wait, if the plan has always been for Demerzel to be secretly running things, why is she hard coded to follow Day’s orders? Like, why did she have to kill that lady priest last season? Empire are literally designed to be dipshits who don’t know poo poo about poo poo, why would they be given that power when she could just pretend?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.withfanfare.com/p/foundation-the-official-podcast/long-ago-not-far-away

Reading the transcript to the podcast right now and there’s a question for the woman who plays Dermerzel on whether Dermerzel knows about the existence of psychics:

quote:

Q: Laura, I wonder if you thought about how Demerzel would react to the knowledge that these beings exist. Mentalics that can read minds, implant memories, have pitched psychic battles.

Goyer: She can't talk about that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Trying posted:

So wait, if the plan has always been for Demerzel to be secretly running things, why is she hard coded to follow Day’s orders? Like, why did she have to kill that lady priest last season? Empire are literally designed to be dipshits who don’t know poo poo about poo poo, why would they be given that power when she could just pretend?

She's a function of Empire. When the Cleons act in accordance with Empire, they're in charge. When they don't, she has more latitude to act.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
I understand it as Demerzel not really being free to fully rule herself, she has to do so through the Cleons. She's with them since birth, there to shape them and have them act in a way she desires. It fits in with what Demerzel told Day at the end about trying to correct his behavior.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I feel like the whole alchemy trick Polly does is probably foreshadowing the larger trick being played at Terminus. Not exactly sure what it is yet, but of all the science to show off picking that one must be significant. Either that or it's an allusion to the way scientists/magicians have long tried to seduce power with promises of alchemy.
Either way, very excellent episode and I'm really enjoying the show this season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Trying posted:

She is thousands of years old. Doing as she's told here and there doesn't really matter in the long run.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Are you people all forgetting that the show reminded us about the castling device for absolutely no reason at the beginning of this episode

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Are you people all forgetting that the show reminded us about the castling device for absolutely no reason at the beginning of this episode

The rings of Trantor are embiggend castling devices- Day just inadvertently switched Trantor and Terminus.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 9, 2023

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Either Terminus isn't destroyed because it's a hallucination/illusion/dream or whatever and Cleons mind is being messed with in Hari's magic quantum office or Terminus is destroyed but the Foundation is more than a planet or physical space - it's an unstoppable force or idea that spreads like an infection through the decaying corpse of Empire and Terminus was just where the seed was planted and is no longer important.

The writers have been completely disinterested in showing what Foundation society is like and exploring how its little empire works so the latter option makes a certain kind of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I like the idea this is all in Cleon’s head, but then I don’t think we’d see scenes of the planet’s decimation, including Poly getting blown to bits. However it could be some mass mentalics fuckery.