Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

kalel posted:

forgot to mention eminem's recruiter but yeah, utterly insane. crescendo is playable if you need it but recruiter is such an upgrade. my first or second draft I had three of the fuckers, you can guess the record on that one (6-3 :argh:)

e: acknowledging a voice to text error but I'm leaving it in

There's four rats on the board already, mom's spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed my raid bombardment/impact tremors RB rats trophy deck recently, but a big part of that was really just Totentanz’s song in conjunction with those two enchantments hitting my opponent for 8-12 damage out of nowhere

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LORDS OF LIMITED - WOE EARLY ACCESS DISCUSSION
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-BzOx6FUPI
Based on 6 or 7 drafts’ worth of experience.

Updated Thoughts
Role tokens are important. Curse of the Werefox “is incredible.” Besotted Knight is “not super thrilled.” Watch out for rate, but more role tokens is usually better. Cheap threats are better because putting a role token on them is a value add. Gingerbrute is “so incredible” for its evasion. Anything that can come down on turn 1 means you can usually put a role via adventure on turn 2 and then cast the creature on 3.

Young Hero might be the best role token. Put it on Gingerbrute, a flier, or Ratcatcher Trainee. Having an x/4 and then having a free bargain fodder is great value. Sometimes Cursed can be good but it’s generally underwhelming since creatures keep their abilities.

Bargain fodder is incredibly plentiful, but the payoffs are the chokepoint. Hamlet Glutton is powerful, especially if you can have it come down on turn 4. Return from the Wilds is a key accelerator. Princess Takes Flight is also great (also PTF has synergy with Stockpiling Celebrant). Back for Seconds is also great. Even middling Bargain cards like Troublemaker Ouphe are playable.

All the gold adventure cards are great. (Note that Callous Sell-Sword/Burn Together is one of the only ways to sac from steal effects in the set). Edgewall Inn and Crystal Grotto smooth things out for the gold cards.

In the mono-colors, blue has weak adventure creatures. Vantress Transmuter is very bad – you don’t want to cast the sorcery on a creature in the first couple of turns because the creature is already not much more powerful than 1/1 and/or has abilities which Curse doesn’t affect.

Remember that you can get blown out by trying to cast an instant adventure as a combat trick and getting it countered or fizzled. If the opponent has open mana, you have to be conscious of it.

The Color Rankings / Format

B (undisputed power cards, removal is incredibly important and this has the best) >
G (deep common pool) >
W (any of these three colors have commons that you could first pick) >
R (has good uncommons and rares, the commons are powerful but very linear and narrow compared to the others) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
U (absolute trash)

This is a rare-driven, bomby format (though not as much as MOM). The bonus sheet is mostly trash, some clear bombs, and some cards that could be build-arounds with more format experience. You want a low curve, but it isn’t a “speedy” format - UG has enough time to stabilize.

When drafting this set, you want to “Delay the decision” as much as possible. There’s only enough cards in a pod for one UB faeries, for example, so you want to make sure it’s open and not fighting for it. You want fixing to splash bombs that you open in P2 and P3. There are a lot of “secret gold” cards, so you have to discern this even if you see a lot of cards of the same color. Barrow Naughty is basically a UB card. Sweettooth Witch is basically BG card. Unruly Catapult is a UR card. Slumbering Keepguard is basically a WG (maybe BW) card. When data analyzing, you need to filter by color pairs lol!

Color pair tier list
A: Black + X (all pairs are good) / UR (if you can monopolize the pod) / G-centered multicolor
B: WG / Mono-R / RG / UG
C: UW (the signpost common is going to get sniped by decks with good fixing) / WR

Movers up and movers down
Armory mice and all 2/1s and 3/1s are not as low as they thought. Once you put a role on them, they get pushed out of hate range.

Celebration: black is actually the best color at turning this on lol. (this is why WR is in the dumps)

Gingerbrute is better here than it was in the previous format! Put a role on it. Put Dragon Mantle on it.

Black players: Collector’s Vault is a good artifact in a BW sac/recursive deck. There’s no incidental mill in this format so if you want to put things in your graveyard, it’s one of the better ones. Also Faerie Dreamthief. Back for Seconds “is real good.” Any card that directly puts something on the battlefield for 3 is powerful. Neva, Stalked by Nightmares “is excellent” and synergizes with Hopeless Nightmare and Hopeful vigil [cf note: i guess they’re right because i trophied with her doing that lol] Also synergizes with Woodland Acolyte + Edgewall Inn [??? this sounds super clunky lol]. Oversold Cemetery is a premium grind card.

Red players: Frantic Firebolt is good… yeah. Minecart Daredevil, greater than the sum of its parts. Merry Bards is impressive – Young Hero, and doesn’t need another creature. Unruly Catapult is the UR finisher – Put Curiosity on It. Hearth Elemental is a UR finisher. You can sometimes cast it for R lol. Dragon Mantle is good.

Green players: Utopia Sprawl is the best non-rare G card. Skipping the 2-mana slot is better than skipping the 3-mana slot. It turbos Hamlet Glutton all-in-one. Season of Growth and Garruk’s Uprising are great G enchantments. Redtooth Vanguard wears roles well and has trample. Mosswood Dreadknight is a bomb, draws cards and is difficult to deal with! Troublemaker Ouphe has good incidental value. Return from the Wilds is very versatile. Up the Beanstalk is basically free and draws cards. Tanglespan Lookout “is incredible” and “kill on sight.” Agatha’s Champion picks off most creatures.

White players: Unassuming Sage: They thought it was a D but this is actually good, play on turn 2 or turn 4 in a role deck (the other dude disagrees) Cursed Courtier is good. You don’t need to bargain the curse off – remember that placing another role on it will replace it. Also, Stockpiling Celebrant can remove the role ETB. Princess Takes Flight is a “premium” recurring removal with Stockpiling Celebrant.

No Blue Players lmao

Movers down: Redcap Thief is fine but not really great. Rootrider Faun is badly positioned, you don’t want to skip the 3 mana slot. (The other guy disagrees, any non-aggro G deck wants it). Twisted Sewer-Witch doesn’t feel great to pick up, this is a secret BR Rats-only card. Warehouse Tabby is decent but not an engine. Ferocious Werefox is awkward. Into the Fae Court is too expensive and there are better ways to get card advantage. Vantress Transmuter and Obyra’s Attendants have bad adventure/creature anti-synergy. It’s never a 2-for-1. Gadwick’s First Duel is finicky since you don’t want to play it on 2 (the problem of the curse token). Discerning Financier gives too much control to the opponent.

Revisiting Top Commons
W: Hopeful Vigil, Stockpiling Celebrant, Return Triumphant (like Recommission in BRO though there aren’t millers), Cooped Up (triggers enchantment matters stuff), Kellan’s Lightbades is easy to turn on.

U: They are largely guessing because they hate U. Snaremaster Sprite. Spell Stutter (good in UB). Johann’s Stopgap.

B: Hopeless Nightmare [I agree with this] (there are a lot of synergies to make this more powerful than just the initial effect). Candy Grapple is efficient straightforward removal. Conceited Witch “is excellent.” Voracious Vermin is “impressive”. The list of commons you want to pick in B is very deep, like 9.

R: Ratcatcher Trainee wears role tokens well. Torch the Tower. Cut In is a big tempo swing (other guy disagrees, Edgewall Pack seems better?), Grand Ball Guest in WR or Mono-R, Witch’s Mark, Flip a Coin, Frantic Firebolt in UR. Gnawing Crescendo in RB. Bellowing Bruiser in R aggro.

G: Hamlet Glutton “feels unfair,” Trample means “answer or die.” Curse of the Werefox. Redtooth Genealogist, Hollow Scavenger, Troublemaker Ouphe. Spider Food might be maindeckable.

Takeaways
Force black and stay black if you can. A lot of cards seem “unassuming” and you can build an “insane” deck in these early days.

wei
Jul 27, 2006
Early access isn't a great point of reference now that the set's been out a few days.

The lords usually bias against red and aggro in general. I'm sure Ethan will move it up after I saw him tweet a few Boros trophies. I have R as the best colour atm since B tends to be overdrafted early on.

Blue is 5th yes but not by that far, main weakness is depth so it can't support many drafters. UB (emphasis on control and not faeries) is fine and UR is good if built correctly.

Kashuno posted:

I enjoyed my raid bombardment/impact tremors RB rats trophy deck recently, but a big part of that was really just Totentanz’s song in conjunction with those two enchantments hitting my opponent for 8-12 damage out of nowhere

Bombardment I think has its place in some decks, like yeah that red rare is a good reason to run it. I'm still out on Tremors

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
4-0 a traditional sealed with this one. Nothing too bomby in rare department, though the rare man lands are p good. Stall n stomp. Its always a nail biter waiting to see if I can stabilize in the face of a lot of these agro rat piles but its v satisfying once it happens.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yiggy posted:

4-0 a traditional sealed with this one. Nothing too bomby in rare department, though the rare man lands are p good. Stall n stomp. Its always a nail biter waiting to see if I can stabilize in the face of a lot of these agro rat piles but its v satisfying once it happens.

There's gotta be something in your sideboard that's better than Virtue. Grats on the 4-0!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Lone Goat posted:

There's gotta be something in your sideboard that's better than Virtue. Grats on the 4-0!

Yeah it frequently came out, I think I cast the sorcery side once. But you're not wrong it was always the item that budged on the sideboard first, once even for the crappy lectern just because I needed two drops badly enough and didn't want to complicate the plan with splashing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Second Arena draft after having gone more than a decade since I last played Magic. Any major gaffes?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think generally I would have done mostly the same thing. Hopeful Vigils in pack 2 over those picks, I think? Slumbering Keepguard seems more powerful than Garruk's Uprising by pack 3, Hamlet Glutton would be better than Up the Beanstalk too. If you were angling to get to 4 and 5 then Rootrider Faun at P3P4 over the Intangible Virtue which had exactly 0.5 hits when you picked it?

Edit: oh I definitely would not splash for stab wound, probably werefox over it. I'd play the Hopeful Vigil and Stockpiling Celebrant over the Prophetic Prism and Intangible Virtue

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 9, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hopeful Vigils in pack 2 over those picks, I think?

Pack 2 Pick 4 you're probably right. Pack 2 Pick 1 I figured I was heavy white anyway and wanted the big evasive body.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Slumbering Keepguard seems more powerful than Garruk's Uprising by pack 3, Hamlet Glutton would be better than Up the Beanstalk too. If you were angling to get to 4 and 5 then Rootrider Faun at P3P4 over the Intangible Virtue which had exactly 0.5 hits when you picked it?

Yeah I kinda drafted for upside with the Uprising hoping to get a few more fatties in this round - ended up busting especially with the incorrect pick after.

I think my lesson learned in this draft is that I need to be more focused on filling areas of improvement in Pack 3.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: oh I definitely would not splash for stab wound

Can I manually add a couple of swamps to the deck? I do want access to black mana for Shrouded Shepherd.

E: disregard the previous question. Adding then removing the Stab Wound allowed me to keep the three swamps in the deck.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 9, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh lol I forgot about the adventure... I think that might be worth the splash then (at least i have gotten completely destroyed by it once lol). I guess then maybe 2 swamps and the Prophetic prism?

Yeah you can manually add lands by hitting the lands icon in the deckbuilder. Once you modify the land count manually it will stop auto-including lands. Multiple double pips on 3 just seems like it would be rough to have a swamp in hand though

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh lol I forgot about the adventure... I think that might be worth the splash then (at least i have gotten completely destroyed by it once lol). I guess then maybe 2 swamps and the Prophetic prism?

Yeah ended up swapping Prism for Up the Beanstalk and adding two swamps along with 9 plains and 6 forests. Realistically, I'm drawing the same number cards if I play the latter anyway.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I don't bomb out lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

anakha posted:

Yeah ended up swapping Prism for Up the Beanstalk and adding two swamps along with 9 plains and 6 forests. Realistically, I'm drawing the same number cards if I play the latter anyway.

Thanks for the advice! Hopefully I don't bomb out lol.

You don't need the second swamp with Prism and two Return From the Wild.

Seemed like you were taking cards for a deck that didn't exist, and would be very hard to execute in your colours (Garruk's Uprising, Up the Beanstalk) instead of much better cards for your deck. Hopeful Vigil is the best white common and plays very well with Stockpiling Celebrant and Bargain cards.

Stab Wound (and most removal in general) is much worse than it it was a decade ago. Cheap, efficient removal is still good (Torch the Tower, Candy Grapple, Cooped Up at common, for example). These days creatures are just too efficient and usually provide value when you play them, so when you're spending 3 mana on Stab to kill a 2mana creature that also also made a token or food or was an adventure, you're going to fall behind quickly.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

You don't need the second swamp with Prism and two Return From the Wild.

Seemed like you were taking cards for a deck that didn't exist, and would be very hard to execute in your colours (Garruk's Uprising, Up the Beanstalk) instead of much better cards for your deck. Hopeful Vigil is the best white common and plays very well with Stockpiling Celebrant and Bargain cards.

Stab Wound (and most removal in general) is much worse than it it was a decade ago. Cheap, efficient removal is still good (Torch the Tower, Candy Grapple, Cooped Up at common, for example). These days creatures are just too efficient and usually provide value when you play them, so when you're spending 3 mana on Stab to kill a 2mana creature that also also made a token or food or was an adventure, you're going to fall behind quickly.
The idea with Stab Wound isn't to kill a cheap creature, it's to turn a mid-sized creature or an utility creature like the 1/3 mana dork into a liability that slowly kills your opponent. I agree though that it's worse than it was in RtR, games of limited are much faster these days. Wouldn't be surprised if Stab Wound ends up being one of those cards that's way stronger in the hands of top drafters.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
the base red or base green decks have seemed stronger to me than black, but maybe I was sleeping on the color.. I see looking for the first time on 17 lands that outside of UB the black color pairings are rocking it...

I guess that's why I kept losing all those games forcing red and green base decks heh heh... gently caress me lol. Probably explains why red and green seemed to be so open every draft and I was 12th picking Hamlet Gluttons... That's why I play on my alt first, get more information for when I play on my main and get the silly mistakes out of the way :)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Retcon posted:

The idea with Stab Wound isn't to kill a cheap creature, it's to turn a mid-sized creature or an utility creature like the 1/3 mana dork into a liability that slowly kills your opponent. I agree though that it's worse than it was in RtR, games of limited are much faster these days. Wouldn't be surprised if Stab Wound ends up being one of those cards that's way stronger in the hands of top drafters.

Yeah but do you stop attacking at that point? Because they can just block with it to stop the bleeding. So yeah if you've got a weirdo control deck that wins with just Stab Wounds and fliers then you have a game plan, but that's not going to happen 99% of the time.

Stab Wound's stats right now are basically at or just below par with the win percentages, and even when you filter by top players it's extremely replacement level, but people are taking it higher than every single common except Candy Grapple which is ridiculous for a C- level card.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Starsfan posted:

the base red or base green decks have seemed stronger to me than black, but maybe I was sleeping on the color.. I see looking for the first time on 17 lands that outside of UB the black color pairings are rocking it...

I've been able to find good results in every black color pairing except UB just because I find it hard to get the critical mass of good fairies. My favorite has probably been UG,, but black is deep. Blue white is really fun if you get hilda or sharae.

Had a 4-0 trad sealed on BR and a 3-0 trad draft on BG.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #6

https://www.17lands.com/draft/200c132dfbc24b3e9263f140cd45dc76
Found my way into GB, though if I picked one Greta up I probably should have gotten the second lol, I guess I was dissuaded by it being legendary but I have to remember that I play multiples of legends in constructed and it's fine lol. I think vinestalk might be worth playing for the manland off grottos? And I can always get most of it off a Brave the Wilds I suppose.

I also found some of my picks warped around just having listend to the "Lords of Limited" crowing over certain cards (Back for Seconds, Return from the Wilds) and then looking at the data and seeing those at D-level lmao, I guess we'll see how they shake out and how badly their early access thoughts have aged. I also deprioritized Twisted Sewer-Witch because this didn't seem like a go-off rats deck but also because the "Lords" were down on it, even though it has a B- in the stats lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 9, 2023

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fritzler posted:

I just played my first draft - b/g and I think rat out and feed the cauldron are both insane. Don’t cut them.
Thank you for that advice, I kept Rat Out and one of the Cauldrons and they were key in many matches. I ended up going with this build:

...which went 7-2 for my first WOE trophy (of two events lol) and my first ever Sealed trophy! A much better pool than the first one, but also some very cool and tense matches, super grindy.

I am extremely impressed with the landmaking of Into the Wilds; having a 3/3 in this format is nothing to sneeze at, and it's not THAT bad if they kill it because you got a land from the other mode anyway. The early aggression and sometimes up to 6 damage from the land were key to a lot of the tenser matches.

The Troll wasn't as super bomby as I expected - lots of 4 power creatures that just trade in the fight after you sac the aura, and lots of 2/3s with ETB where you don't particularly care to kill them. Of course, if you can make role after role it's insane, but that's a bit of a setup.

Huntsman's Redemption was phenomenal and people kept putting Stab Wounds, Cooped Up etc. onto my creatures after I played it. Like, I will get a free creature from that, thanks?!

For the record, my two losses were to an Agatha's Cauldron (nothing in the GY, I attack with two 3/2s, they kill one with a Grapple and block the other with their 1/3 turned 2/4 after the cauldron pump enabled by the first dead creature of mine. Brutal. Couldn't come back from that, also they kept pumpin'), and a Wrath + Dark Tutelage combo - the latter only cost them 3 life in total while enabling a huge board (including Three Blind Mice to finish me off). I did win against another wrath tho!

EDIT:

Sealed really HAS been terrible to me, but I guess I went full circle. Golgari lyfe yo (btw: lots of mirror matches. Easy to get enough playables in those colors!)

to be exact:

Single opp not playing G, but they did play B (and won, with their wrath)

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 9, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I just fought Emry with my Ragavan deck, hit them, stole a Stone Brain off the top of their deck (why would they even have that in singleton?) and then just for funsies I activated it on the spot and guessed Paradox Engine, which they happened to have in their hand (more like BIG BRAIN). How they didn't concede from that skill I have no idea, but I beat them later anyway.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I just fought Emry with my Ragavan deck, hit them, stole a Stone Brain off the top of their deck (why would they even have that in singleton?) and then just for funsies I activated it on the spot and guessed Paradox Engine, which they happened to have in their hand (more like BIG BRAIN). How they didn't concede from that skill I have no idea, but I beat them later anyway.

Might be there for Colony Rat/Nazgul/Persistent Petitioners etc

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

Might be there for Colony Rat/Nazgul/Persistent Petitioners etc

I guess but Rat decks are unusual for Emry to match against, Petitioners I've only seen in little-played Bruvac, and Nazgul aren't critical.

It probably lost the game for the opponent by letting me nail them with it too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

maybe not a revelation to anyone who actually RTFC but I was surprised to see the UG Restless land can indeed target and shrink down opposing creatures, which is a neat way to force through damage or just make a sheoldred manageable for an attack.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I feel like people are sleeping on Selesnya in Draft. I've had two drafts in that pair so far and you get three synergies in one deck - auras, bargain, and celebration. I had 8 cards that give me multiple permanents in one deck and almost everything else was payoffs or bombs

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

I had a ton of gold since I couldn't be bothered to draft the LotR set, so have blown it all (and some gems) on 12 drafts, and I think I improved slightly over time?
(Also 1 abysmal sealed attempt - I always tank my 1 attempt at doing sealed each new set, I don't know why I keep trying)

Trophied twice, in the two drafts I opened the Gruff Triplets, so my recommendation is for everyone to try and open packs with the Gruff Triplets in.
Got to send the Bramble Familiar on a Fetch Quest a couple of times as well which was fun, especially since I remembered to stop before I decked myself.

Otherwise I think people have mostly covered my takeways that Imodane's Recruiter is a bomb and B & R are the top colors, probably the top color pair. Hamlet Glutton is also v. strong; the 3 lifegain mattered a lot when I played it, and bargaining it is pretty doable.
B/U faeries and U/G ramp seem like decent decks but I think you pretty much need to be the only one drafting them in your pod.
I'm sure there's a good deck in B/W somewhere but I couldn't find it even when I got the relevant legendries; either got blown out by G or outpaced by B/R. Never really got a chance to try the U/W tapping deck, but I think I lost against it a couple of times. I think the G/W enchantments deck might be a bit of a sleeper, especially if people start trying to force B/R.

I think I've had my fill of drafting for a while, so think I'm going to focus on trying to make something WOE-based work in standard; it doesn't seem like many cards will make a huge impact especially with the longer rotation (seems wild that there are still cards from Innistrad in the mix), but contenders might be B/U faeries, R/B rats, or something with G/W that gets the Gruff Triplets to EtB multiple times.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Just opened a sealed pool with 2 redcap gutter dwellers, song of totentanz, and defense of the heart from the bonus sheet to go get the gutter guys. Can’t wait to go 1-3

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy poo poo, I'm at 6 wins right now, still my first draft of the set. 2 losses, only 1 was my fault the other one I drew nonstop land after decent opening hand, lost with 6 lands and nothing else in hand. About to start the last one, I'm just really excited to have made it past the 4 win barrier and with a 41 card deck made from forcing blue/black bc my first pack rare was UB!

edit okay 6 wins. final boss was a higher rank and had the game winning counter on hand to defeat my lethal sugar rush. the ice sentry thing is really nice.

edit:nvm ii cut em

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 9, 2023

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

First draft of the set :stare:

This felt like one of those tables where I was getting nothing but cards for the deck I needed. I guess it's time to retire on top.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've had that exact experience twice with that deck. I literally got Slumbering Keepguard as the last card in a pack

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Welp, draft number 2 and I feel like I got absolutely bodied. I felt like I was forced into heavy blue, which I am well aware is the worst color. The worse thing is I don't even have a strong second color, some sort of Grixis mess.

Here's the deck I have so far. Any suggestions?

Here's also my draft if anyone can tell me where I went wrong:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3d7c98c6225545e98accd160ee282c41

At least I'm not gonna be going into these games with any high expectations.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 9, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I played a couple matches on each of the edlraine limited modes, trying to draft more this set before opening any packs. Helps that basically 4 rares are the only things I could use to upgrade a standard deck right now, shook my rare drafting habit knowing I can't really play em anyway.

The games are all longer than I usually like but the cards are tricksy and it's fun weaving traps and taking gambits on theirs so far.

Standard wise I wanna force a rat deck, they're a fun theme I've not really messed with on any format yet. Brawl might be the better place for it but my rank is still low enough this month I can probably have some fun with rat jank.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Event #6

https://www.17lands.com/draft/200c132dfbc24b3e9263f140cd45dc76
Found my way into GB, though if I picked one Greta up I probably should have gotten the second lol, I guess I was dissuaded by it being legendary but I have to remember that I play multiples of legends in constructed and it's fine lol. I think vinestalk might be worth playing for the manland off grottos? And I can always get most of it off a Brave the Wilds I suppose.

I also found some of my picks warped around just having listend to the "Lords of Limited" crowing over certain cards (Back for Seconds, Return from the Wilds) and then looking at the data and seeing those at D-level lmao, I guess we'll see how they shake out and how badly their early access thoughts have aged. I also deprioritized Twisted Sewer-Witch because this didn't seem like a go-off rats deck but also because the "Lords" were down on it, even though it has a B- in the stats lol

Muddling 3-3, didn't feel great to play, trying to work with the manland was just too slow. Gingerbrute was a real carry though in a lot of games, also clutched out a game with Sweettooth Witch's ability. I got crushed by two BG decks that were better constructed than mine, every time I got my Hamlet Glutton it was either after theirs or they would suit their own up or they had an even better uncommon/rare monster after that lol. The last loss was against another BW deck that machine gunned Hopeful Vigils lmao... the "Lords of Limited" might be streets behind?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

drainpipe posted:

Welp, draft number 2 and I feel like I got absolutely bodied. I felt like I was forced into heavy blue, which I am well aware is the worst color. The worse thing is I don't even have a strong second color, some sort of Grixis mess.

Here's the deck I have so far. Any suggestions?

Here's also my draft if anyone can tell me where I went wrong:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/3d7c98c6225545e98accd160ee282c41

At least I'm not gonna be going into these games with any high expectations.

Color me surprised. At least I'm not 0-3'ing. I won my first game against UB control. Had to fight through early flood and a grave pact by the opponent. Top decked a stab wound on my opponent's sole Spellscorn Coven finished out the game.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

kalel presents another episode of kalel's explorer brewing adventures (not a woe pun)

I was inspired by this video to brew some kind of control deck around invasion of tolvada and shark typhoon for explorer. originally I conceived of an esper control deck, which included the usual suspects of azorius control (teferi 5, wandering emperor, counterspells, wipes, etc) plus invasion of tolvada, thoughtseize and fatal push. it didn't feel very good in practice. then I switched it up to be more of a aggro-control deck (deck list here), using noncreature cards to create token creatures, which could flip a tolvada battle and which could trigger shark typhoon. there was too much tension between the control elements and the aggressive elements, however.

eventually, I scrapped the tolvada-typhoon idea when I thought about the synergy in this deck between rite of oblivion and the newly-printed hopeful vigil. and it reminded me of the classic grindy value deck centered around doom foretold. so I decided to just do a doom foretold deck (list here). not very original but it's a lot of fun; those of you who were around when this card was the scourge of standard and historic may remember how hopeless it feels once this engine gets going. and now we get to play with even more copies thanks to beseech the mirror! other new cards for this old archetype include hopeless nightmare, restoration of eiganjo, and spirit sister's call. I'm still playing around with numbers and the sideboard configuration but it feels really good. I'm getting a lot of evil cackle practice for when the opponent concedes at 15 life with no cards or permanents.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Event #7

https://www.17lands.com/draft/92510c829a294494834d5a4eed20c704

Opening the BG manland made me consider forcing that pair again but green looked cut hard, at least the black was headed my way. I wonder if I missed the path to BW but I didn't see any hopes of either color, and the blue rare I opened in 2 looked worthwhile. I picked up Sharae to fill, the splash seems supportable even though she doesn't have much synergy here. Vampiric Rites with rats, perhaps? This one is a pile lol

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I want to do multi-coloured nonsense but people just keep passing me Imodane's Recruiters, dammit

4 trophies and a 6-3 in my last 5 drafts, all base red

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Today's been a lot of losing to fast aggro decks. Jeez this run.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that sort of thing always brings me back around to "how can you make going first and on the draw more equal". I still don't know

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

that sort of thing always brings me back around to "how can you make going first and on the draw more equal". I still don't know

stop printing cheap cards that give too much of a swing in advantage for the starting player

...oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I guess making one drops suck again is a type of solution.