Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man.

Now we have to meme about Project: Dark

Yeah I backed that too. It was a more innocent time.

Speaking of which, Land of 1,000 Nations shipped this week, wrapping up 7th Sea 2nd Ed.

I think we can meme about the “transmedia” projects though. Skarka says they’re still coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Blades in the Dark is still, technically, in progress as a Kickstarter and around the 8.5 year old mark. Last update was in 2020 though.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Splicer posted:

Is there such a thing as a preconstructed deck builder? Where you build a card pool before the game and then buy them into your deck as you play?

I guess kind of like dominions but you each have your own card stacks.

Nightfall does something like this, you draft public and private supply piles before the game proper.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

BlackIronHeart posted:

Blades in the Dark is still, technically, in progress as a Kickstarter and around the 8.5 year old mark. Last update was in 2020 though.
I hold project creators much less responsible for guest written stretch goals than for the main products.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love my Vlad Taltos rpg.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

BlackIronHeart posted:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

I hold project creators much less responsible for guest written stretch goals than for the main products.

Maybe it's for the best.

HopperUK posted:

Do I recall Steven Brust turning out to be an rear end in a top hat of some kind? Annoying.

Kesper North posted:

Yes, he is a sex pest who was banned from the 4th Street writers group for stalking a friend of mine.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe it's for the best.
Oh poo poo!

TIL

That sucks!

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Man — I wouldn’t be surprised to hear it of Brust because he’s an author who was active in fandom and that wasn’t a healthy world. Also there are a couple of reports of his name on whisper networks. But that sounds awfully close to a mangled version of this incident and I’m not sure there is a 4th Street writers group other than the 4th Street Fantasy convention.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Splicer posted:

Is there such a thing as a preconstructed deck builder? Where you build a card pool before the game and then buy them into your deck as you play?

I guess kind of like dominions but you each have your own card stacks.

Oh man, I'm actually working on a game like that (set in my own fantasy world inspired by Dune, but with lizardfolk), though I'm having a hell of a time with balancing it, it's either way too slow, or if I reduce the price of cards way too fast and there's no reason to ever buy resource cards.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Foolster41 posted:

Oh man, I'm actually working on a game like that (set in my own fantasy world inspired by Dune, but with lizardfolk), though I'm having a hell of a time with balancing it, it's either way too slow, or if I reduce the price of cards way too fast and there's no reason to ever buy resource cards.
So take out the resource cards

E: or make them all resource +thing, or add alternate uses for the resource

E2: do you have many burn mechanics? Stripping out the cruft is half the deck build process and what speeds up the mid/late game

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 9, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BlackIronHeart posted:

This one still ticks me off. I backed specifically because of a few of the 40k adjacent stretchgoal settings. And all we ever got were 3 pages of untested notes. And then told not to complain because he didn’t even pay the writers. And that was supposed to be okay?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dwarf74 posted:

On top of everything else, we got a very short playset for crimin' in Adrilankha. So it technically happened.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It is still one of the great tragedies of modern RPG design that we’ve never gotten a full-fledged literary cyberpunk game Forged the Dark, made under Harper’s supervision and thus up to his standards. How we ended up with just Hack the Planet and Neon Black, I will never know. It’s such a slam-dunk perfect fit, but it apparently isn’t a genre that interests the people who could do it justice.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just happy Blades in the Dark is a take on Dishonored (and to a lesser extent Thief). I loved those games, and it baffles me that their TTRPG spiritual successor is so good.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
I wanna check out Blades in the Dark, I've heard good things.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Kestral posted:

It is still one of the great tragedies of modern RPG design that we’ve never gotten a full-fledged literary cyberpunk game Forged the Dark, made under Harper’s supervision and thus up to his standards. How we ended up with just Hack the Planet and Neon Black, I will never know. It’s such a slam-dunk perfect fit, but it apparently isn’t a genre that interests the people who could do it justice.

I’ve been reading a|state and am liking it so far but I just got to the part where you create your Corner of The City, which is the shared group character in the game. I may be overly into that concept because when I ran Cyberpunk RED I did a Microscope session 0 to build out where the team all lived and my players loved it.

So far it seems like a pretty good Cyberpunk skin. I think I like it better than Hack the Planet but I want to run both someday. I think I’d prefer either to RED’s crunch especially away from a VTT that handles the math for everyone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

trapstar posted:

It's really great but I think OG Blades doesn't explain the core mechanics very well. It's a bit scattered across the book. Scum & Villainy, the not-Star Wars implementation and one of the actually completed stretch goals that went above and beyond, is better at grounding you in the main system I think, plus it's a good game in its own right. They're both really affordable too, and high quality print products (as with most Evil Hat publications) that are probably still available at Evil Hat or IPR.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Splicer posted:

So take out the resource cards

E: or make them all resource +thing, or add alternate uses for the resource

E2: do you have many burn mechanics? Stripping out the cruft is half the deck build process and what speeds up the mid/late game

I appreciate the suggestions. I guess one of my main inspirations was Dominion and the mechanical skill of knowing when to stop building up resources/engine and going for the win, so I feel like removing resources all together would too drastically change how the game works.

There is one extra use for resources. In the game the resource is water, and when you send units out to attack, you have to spend resources or they start to take damage, but even with that mechanic it feels like you can get by alright without purchasing more resources. Maybe I just need to turn up the cost/penalty for. It's one thing that makes this game pretty unique and I really like it.

There are a few burn/exile cards.

I should check out how the star wars deckbuilding game and the others mentioned here works. The main problem i have is in dominion the VP you gain is all at once, but an attacking unit the VP gain is effectively cumulative, you can attack face/enemies every turn, so valuing a 1/1 unit at 1 cost seems a bit low, so I probably just undercosted my units maybe.

I'd been a bit discouraged (and also working on other games), but I should pick this up again.

Blades in the dark looks really cool, I'd been enjoying the adventure zone campaign using BitD set in an amusement park city.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That Old Tree posted:

It's really great but I think OG Blades doesn't explain the core mechanics very well. It's a bit scattered across the book. Scum & Villainy, the not-Star Wars implementation and one of the actually completed stretch goals that went above and beyond, is better at grounding you in the main system I think, plus it's a good game in its own right. They're both really affordable too, and high quality print products (as with most Evil Hat publications) that are probably still available at Evil Hat or IPR.

I thought it did a good job but I'd already played a fair amount of Apocalypse World using advice from John Harper's blog that definitely also shaped the design of Blades, so I wasn't exactly coming to it fresh. Actually teaching it though, I always find the devil's bargain one rule too many so I just end up holding that one back until someone has to roll and looks sad about how few dice they have

Kestral posted:

I played his two page game Ghost Echo and it seemed really cool but we struggled to come up with a setting that felt substantial. Now you've got me thinking about smushing that together with the city generation stuff in Cities Without Number. Faction clocks always sort of felt like a rules light version of the faction turn in SWN anyway

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 9, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

trapstar posted:

Yeah it's a blast

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's draining to run in my experience.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My players just could not get a handle on the clock concept and half of them hated the idea of playbooks. It's a fantastic game, but not for everybody.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My players just could not get a handle on the clock concept and half of them hated the idea of playbooks. It's a fantastic game, but not for everybody.

I can't imagine not getting clocks, they're literally just progress bars. They're circles because drawing a circle and two lines to make a 4-clock is easier than drawing a 4-segment progress bar. Hit points in DnD are clocks.

The rules around clocks basically boil down to:

Sometimes you can measure the progress of things narratively with a progress bar.
Sometimes you can do it mechanically too.
If the GM thinks something should take more than one roll to resolve they'll make a progress bar about it.
A standard success fills up two notches, great effect fills up three, limited effect fills up one.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

That Old Tree posted:

https://bladesinthedark.com/basics

I think the SRD on the website does a much better job of organizing and presenting the rules than the book itself.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I, too, hate character classes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The lack of nearly any non narrative structure could be a bit challenging. Like my dudes fight someone, it's basically over when I say it is so it requires a lot of gm trust

In practice it just kind of works though

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
My biggest problem with Blades was Downtime and the split of Heist/Non-Heist narration. It seems like you're either Heisting or in Downtime with no other options and everyone would plan out their Downtime activities to be ready for the next Heist. This is all well and good but it felt like it was pushing out all other non-Heist/non-Downtime activities. When can my character, like, visit a contact or a loved one? Does that have to be a Downtime activity? Do I really need to start a clock to see if my wife is buying my cover story still? It became this thing of 'I want to RP but the system isn't making it easy for me to do so' and that rubbed me the wrong way, made the world feel kind of empty.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

My biggest problem with Blades was Downtime and the split of Heist/Non-Heist narration. It seems like you're either Heisting or in Downtime with no other options and everyone would plan out their Downtime activities to be ready for the next Heist. This is all well and good but it felt like it was pushing out all other non-Heist/non-Downtime activities. When can my character, like, visit a contact or a loved one? Does that have to be a Downtime activity? Do I really need to start a clock to see if my wife is buying my cover story still? It became this thing of 'I want to RP but the system isn't making it easy for me to do so' and that rubbed me the wrong way, made the world feel kind of empty.

There is an entire third phase you've forgotten about, which is explicitly where people freely roleplay character scenes:

Downtime is generally a handful of rolls that shouldn't take much more than 20-30 minutes to resolve, and Freeplay should generally be the post-Score phase that takes the longest because it's where you'll spend all your time breathing life into the city and your scoundrels' lives.

As with everything else in fiction-first, Freeplay scenes change the narrative and will have whatever effect on or interaction with the mechanical bits which everyone agrees they should logically have for the narrative to stay consistent and coherent.

e; people missing the importance of Freeplay is not new or rare; the book really spends most of its page count on the other two phases because those are conceptually new and mechanically complex, and as a result ends up giving much less book space to Freeplay (since hey, you know how roleplaying works, right?) and giving people the impression it's the shortest and least important phase, which leads to people making horrible mistakes and ending up with very flat, mechanical games. Band of Blades has the same issue.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 9, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Foolster41 posted:

I appreciate the suggestions. I guess one of my main inspirations was Dominion and the mechanical skill of knowing when to stop building up resources/engine and going for the win, so I feel like removing resources all together would too drastically change how the game works.

There is one extra use for resources. In the game the resource is water, and when you send units out to attack, you have to spend resources or they start to take damage, but even with that mechanic it feels like you can get by alright without purchasing more resources. Maybe I just need to turn up the cost/penalty for. It's one thing that makes this game pretty unique and I really like it.

There are a few burn/exile cards.

I should check out how the star wars deckbuilding game and the others mentioned here works. The main problem i have is in dominion the VP you gain is all at once, but an attacking unit the VP gain is effectively cumulative, you can attack face/enemies every turn, so valuing a 1/1 unit at 1 cost seems a bit low, so I probably just undercosted my units maybe.

I'd been a bit discouraged (and also working on other games), but I should pick this up again.

Blades in the dark looks really cool, I'd been enjoying the adventure zone campaign using BitD set in an amusement park city.
If you're looking for idea mines check our Star Realms and Legendary Encounters: Predator.

The main thing that encourages resource buying is thresholds. If you have a 5 card hand size and the base resource cards are worth 1 then you're unlikely to draw what's needed for a cost 4 or 5 card and you flat out cannot afford a cost 6. Buying a single resource (2) card massively boosts your ability to buy the game winners, and that's assuming the base deck even has 5 resource cards. And yeah with what you've described I wouldn't make anything attacky cost 1 (assuming you mean the "buy into your deck" cost) except for cards where "cost 1" is their gimmick. Being stuck with a single res point is a big driver to stop relying on the single res cards.

If there's ongoing costs to having units in the field then you could make the base res cards one-shots (only resources for that turn before going back to the deck) while many of the buyables persist in play providing passive resources. A player could still do stuff turn 1 and 2 but they'd need some big generators by their second shuffle unless they're exclusively running weenies. You could also do things like combat units gaining bonuses for having the right categories of resource generators in play.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 9, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I, too, hate character classes.

The effect of your 'class' in BitD is entirely just your starting gear, your choice of ability, and (the only lingering thing) one of your XP sources.
You can literally take your pick of cross class abilities with zero penalty.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

The effect of your 'class' in BitD is entirely just your starting gear, your choice of ability, and (the only lingering thing) one of your XP sources.
You can literally take your pick of cross class abilities with zero penalty.

I was pointing out it was kind of a silly thing to hate, since pretty much every TTRPG of note where you play as a single character has them (yes, shadowrun does too)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lemon-Lime posted:

There is an entire third phase you've forgotten about, which is explicitly where people freely roleplay character scenes:

The trick is that there are presumably things you can’t do in free play, only because they are on the list of things that are listed for downtime. That then has to be worked around in fiction.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

hyphz posted:

The trick is that there are presumably things you can’t do in free play, only because they are on the list of things that are listed for downtime. That then has to be worked around in fiction.

No. Like the game that inspired it, Apocalypse World, mechanics are both prescriptive and descriptive. If I make a clock that says it takes 6 segments to do a thing and you approach it the way I envisioned when I drew the clock then it takes 3 partial successes or two full successes to complete. If you come up with a clever way that I hadn't thought of to get 5/6 of the way there, then I mark 5 segments.

A good example is vices. Satisfying your vice is a downtime activity. This does not mean that your booze-seeking scoundrel can't plan a heist to boost a crate of gutrot from the local distillery

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm not the biggest fan of fiction-first games in general, but I like the structure of actual PBTA games a great deal better than BitD. Good PBTA games give you incredibly explicit structure on when and how to act as a GM. Blades felt like it was leaving absolutely everything up to your discretion, which was even weirder to me because the game has a lot of resource management and strategic decision-making on the player side. For that management to mean anything, it needs to be measured against some consistent standard, but the game doesn't give you any tools to do that except your own best judgment.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That Old Tree posted:

I've run S&V but not BitD, but only because buy-in would be easier from my group for the former. Mechanically, they're mostly the same game (though gambits really do add a lot of pulp feel for their low rules weight, especially with a scoundrel in the group), yet atmospherically (no pun intended) they're quite different: you don't have to play common criminals in S&V (while bounty hunters ride the edge, rebels are something different altogether), the Force Way really pokes its nose in to an extent the supernatural doesn't in BitD (the mystic is effective anywhere while the whisper seems more situational with their ghost-talking powers), you can lay low by jetting to another system and dodge heat more easily, I feel there's a lot more GM fiat to the setting (how long does it take to get from point A to point B? We have a more grounded idea in BitD), and so on.

That's not to say S&V isn't great, and I think you might be right about it explaining the mechanics better. But though they're basically the same game mechanically, they're very different in feel and setting, and unless your players really want to play Firefly/the Mandalorian/you rebel scum, S&V isn't easily adaptable to other sorts of sci-fi. (Then again, BitD has a very specific milieu and would be a terrible system as presented for running, e.g., Oceans Five or whatever -- a whole new setting would have to be developed to meet the rules unless it were a one-shot that didn't care about repercussions.)

Agree on the high quality for both print versions as well as the quality of online resources (primarily the SRD) that another poster mentioned for BitD. One more thing that I liked about S&V was that it was easy to find Stras' streamed play sessions that, while not perfect and I think used a 0.8 version of the rules IIRC, we're instrumental to being able to jump into effective GMing from session zero. I couldn't find good BitD plays online at the time (2020). This may have changed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Admiralty Flag posted:

I've run S&V but not BitD, but only because buy-in would be easier from my group for the former. Mechanically, they're mostly the same game (though gambits really do add a lot of pulp feel for their low rules weight, especially with a scoundrel in the group), yet atmospherically (no pun intended) they're quite different: you don't have to play common criminals in S&V (while bounty hunters ride the edge, rebels are something different altogether), the Force Way really pokes its nose in to an extent the supernatural doesn't in BitD (the mystic is effective anywhere while the whisper seems more situational with their ghost-talking powers), you can lay low by jetting to another system and dodge heat more easily, I feel there's a lot more GM fiat to the setting (how long does it take to get from point A to point B? We have a more grounded idea in BitD), and so on.

That's not to say S&V isn't great, and I think you might be right about it explaining the mechanics better. But though they're basically the same game mechanically, they're very different in feel and setting, and unless your players really want to play Firefly/the Mandalorian/you rebel scum, S&V isn't easily adaptable to other sorts of sci-fi. (Then again, BitD has a very specific milieu and would be a terrible system as presented for running, e.g., Oceans Five or whatever -- a whole new setting would have to be developed to meet the rules unless it were a one-shot that didn't care about repercussions.)

Agree on the high quality for both print versions as well as the quality of online resources (primarily the SRD) that another poster mentioned for BitD. One more thing that I liked about S&V was that it was easy to find Stras' streamed play sessions that, while not perfect and I think used a 0.8 version of the rules IIRC, we're instrumental to being able to jump into effective GMing from session zero. I couldn't find good BitD plays online at the time (2020). This may have changed.

Friends at the Table did a pretty good play-through of a slightly earlier than release version of the rules, that’s how I got into it.

Also pretty surprised people had problems running it. I found it really easy because the players have so much agency.

Never hosed with the default setting though. We were either making our own, or just stealing from a book or something we all read that had similar enough themes. (e.g. it does stuff in Mieville’s Bas Lag setting really easily)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Believe it or not, there are players out there who really don't like having a large amount of narrative agency. They like hard rails for many parts of a game, and that's fine.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I found Blades to be pretty adaptable to both kinds of player. If you know exactly which faction you want to target for a heist and what you're trying to steal, the game has you covered. If you prefer to be given quests by an NPC, there are a whole bunch of factions more powerful than your gang that have explicit goals and a system to manage their progress towards those goals, who will pay you to do jobs for them

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/452473/Far-West?src=hottest

Hey, guys, you aren't going to believe what just happened.

This game was a meme about never releasing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Admiralty Flag posted:

I couldn't find good BitD plays online at the time (2020). This may have changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lwxp-5QxR0

I like the Oxventure series. They do very brisk, well-run scores.