Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fon Spaak is terrible in pretty much every way but kind of hilarious in Cross Rays where he has a like Kefka laugh thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I just skimmed over this guy's wiki entry and it said something about him just being able to forcibly pilot every gundam even every version of the 00 :shepface:

Also, he apparently started his mercenary career by getting dishonourably discharged from one of Ali al-Saachez's terrorism-for-hire outfits.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Fon Spaak just makes me think of Star Trek and then I wonder how that whole melding of universes would go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He makes me think of Coldsteel the Hedgehog

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

That is an incredibly accurate description of the character.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

This tracks. He's very "Original Character Do Not Steal."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, he apparently started his mercenary career by getting dishonourably discharged from one of Ali al-Saachez's terrorism-for-hire outfits.

"He's too crazy even for Ali! He doesn't play by the rules!" lmfao come the gently caress on

In terms of side stories, this is why I'll stick over where Astray is; no one there seems to take themselves nearly as seriously as Fon Spaak does (Well, Gina Sahaku almost did and he got dunked straight into the afterlife for it and his sister still makes fun of how much of a loser he was while stealing his Gundam).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

"He's too crazy even for Ali! He doesn't play by the rules!" lmfao come the gently caress on

In terms of side stories, this is why I'll stick over where Astray is; no one there seems to take themselves nearly as seriously as Fon Spaak does (Well, Gina Sahaku almost did and he got dunked straight into the afterlife for it and his sister still makes fun of how much of a loser he was while stealing his Gundam).

Gai Murakumo is close but he's also just a more likable character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/IsabellaRosner/status/1658554043927601152?t=TDNYoGz1BDr2gTK4CgBVoQ&s=19

Gundam names

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't see Bobson Dugnut on there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m pretty sure there’s a guy named Love Beer in Xabungle

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Job Bland, ancestor of Job John

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Gai Murakumo is close but he's also just a more likable character.

Gai Murakumo also isn't Forest Gumping his way through the series and they don't constantly talk about how he's the bestest pilot who has ever piloted the best and used every single mech ever and did all those things. Gai's just a really good pilot with a signature MS that has about a dozen configurations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Kakarot197/status/1699876826326106584?t=RqPxGicwlofXQxNEX967aw&s=19

Battlelogue shockingly did not meet the kickstartet goal.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fon is almost a fun character. The idea of a Gundam Meister that is nominally on Celestial Being's side but in reality is just a crazy fucker that loves violence could be good, and his give no fucks attitude is fun in a vacuum.

The issue is that he's also perfect in every way, the ultimate Gundam pilot who can pilot every unit way better than anyone else and also a super genius strategist that's always two steps ahead and also he's somehow capable of befriending the rest of the cast in spite of him treating everyone terribly and never showing even the slightest bit of regret about it.

It makes him intolerable since you know no one else really matters in his stories. He's Poochy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They had another couple of weeks to run, but they were pretty transparently running the KS as a popularity poll and the results weren't good. Maybe next time around the art will be a bit less poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If it had been a sidestory to any Gundam series that had actually been on American TV, instead of a sidestory to an obscure ONA, it would have hit the goal in the first hour. If there had been a unique Gunpla, even just a recolor, available as a reward for this Gunpla-based comic, it would've met it's goal easily. If it had described the plot and characters so there was literally any selling point to the comic itself beyond "Remember Gundam Breaker Battlogue? Well this is more of that, kinda maybe, not really!" It would have done much better

But instead they had this product no one really wanted, and sold it incredibly poorly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

If it had been a sidestory to any Gundam series that had actually been on American TV, instead of a sidestory to an obscure ONA, it would have hit the goal in the first hour.

I suspect that this is probably because Bandai wouldn't let them touch any of the actual mainline Gundam series.

Which begs the question of why bother? I'm guessing Legendary was maybe trying to work their way up by getting a successful project under their belt?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gripweed posted:

If it had been a sidestory to any Gundam series that had actually been on American TV, instead of a sidestory to an obscure ONA, it would have hit the goal in the first hour. If there had been a unique Gunpla, even just a recolor, available as a reward for this Gunpla-based comic, it would've met it's goal easily. If it had described the plot and characters so there was literally any selling point to the comic itself beyond "Remember Gundam Breaker Battlogue? Well this is more of that, kinda maybe, not really!" It would have done much better

But instead they had this product no one really wanted, and sold it incredibly poorly

Also like, maybe if it'd been a kickstarter for a new breaker game of some kind it'd have done better. Maybe I'm weird, but I know a bunch of people with fond memories of the breaker mobile game, and a few who really liked the breaker games (Except new gundam breaker) but almost none of those same people want to watch an anime about gundam breaker.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I suspect that this is probably because Bandai wouldn't let them touch any of the actual mainline Gundam series.

Which begs the question of why bother? I'm guessing Legendary was maybe trying to work their way up by getting a successful project under their belt?

My instinct would be that the Gundam movie was already stuck in development, and the writer's strike meant it wasn't going to unstick itself any time soon. Like, they were so far away from having a usable script that they can't even do any other preproduction stuff yet. So they figured they might as well get some use out of the license. But yeah, as you said, Sunrise wouldn't let them touch any of the big titles, and they didn't want to do anything original because then people would assume it was tied to the movie in some way.

But loving hell, Chinese anime conventions have managed to get unique Gunpla recolors, and they couldn't even get one for this first American Gundam comic? No one had their heart in this.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Fon Spaak just makes me think of Star Trek and then I wonder how that whole melding of universes would go.

Depends on how exactly the crossover is setup, is it the Star Trek universe but the usual Earth is replaced by one of the Gundam ones, or is there just a Gundam Earth hanging around like how the original Star Trek just had random worlds where everyone was Romans or Cowboys or whatever

For the former it would probably be 00 that would work best, for the latter probably either Turn A or G-Reco, though it might be best to not use a preexisting Gundam setting at all and come up with a new one to better fit with the setting

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Depends on how exactly the crossover is setup, is it the Star Trek universe but the usual Earth is replaced by one of the Gundam ones, or is there just a Gundam Earth hanging around like how the original Star Trek just had random worlds where everyone was Romans or Cowboys or whatever

For the former it would probably be 00 that would work best, for the latter probably either Turn A or G-Reco, though it might be best to not use a preexisting Gundam setting at all and come up with a new one to better fit with the setting

The Fardain Colony from Gundam Age was basically a planet they come across in one episode of Star Trek already

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Also like, maybe if it'd been a kickstarter for a new breaker game of some kind it'd have done better. Maybe I'm weird, but I know a bunch of people with fond memories of the breaker mobile game, and a few who really liked the breaker games (Except new gundam breaker) but almost none of those same people want to watch an anime about gundam breaker.

It was designed to suck your money through a bendy straw, but it was legitimately fun, and I had a blast fighting raid event bosses like Big Zam, Hashmal, and the PG Perfect Strike. It needed a better decal system, but the customization and part mix/match was good enough to scratch that itch. Didn't look half bad either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The Fardain Colony from Gundam Age was basically a planet they come across in one episode of Star Trek already

If you're going for that angle, Mobile Suit Breakdown talked about how Moon Moon was an earlier Gundam take on the same premise. Full on wacky human colony where the away team is captured and split up between the rebels and the authorities.

As for the kickstarter, I'm as far from shocked as anyone. One thing that stood out to me, other than the art being bad enough that I'm not sure Wing Vs. Iron Blooded Orphans Guest Starring Char Aznable would have hit the target, was that it didn't even make much use of the license it had.

You'd think that, if you were trying to appeal to the fans of the ONA and/or the games, you'd have a pretty easy leadin. Show some of the characters in a new situation, maybe show a dream match against each other or some past Gundam characters, and you've got a little bit of interest.

Instead, though, the comic shows a bunch of new characters we don't know from Adam in a setting that seems more based off Build Divers than Breaker. Considering you don't have new MS designs to show off, or any animation, the characters are the main draw from the Battlogue. Not using them immediately is just odd.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jLv_j-m8F4

00 is back up

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

It was designed to suck your money through a bendy straw, but it was legitimately fun, and I had a blast fighting raid event bosses like Big Zam, Hashmal, and the PG Perfect Strike. It needed a better decal system, but the customization and part mix/match was good enough to scratch that itch. Didn't look half bad either.

The monetization is what made me bail, and I wish it was better for that because it was fun. I would do dirty, dark, deeds to get a Gundam Breaker 4 on steam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The monetization is what made me bail, and I wish it was better for that because it was fun. I would do dirty, dark, deeds to get a Gundam Breaker 4 on steam.

The last few months were absurdly generous. They regularly had banners where a standard priced ten pull got you 10 guaranteed max rarity parts and a coupon to get any one part of your choice as a bonus.

Wasn't happy to see the game go, but it went out well. Finished the main plot, did a last sideplot mission where the protagonist and the main heroine enjoy a date together, and then spent a few months releasing the last few suits they had ready, along with a bunch of events to make it easy to pick up anything you liked that was missing, including all the past event suits.

Just wish I'd grabbed a few pictures on the way out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
By standard gacha pricing, even a banner that gives you all rare things is still like 20-30 dollars spent on a few pieces of in-game gear, which isn't what I'd call "generous" by any terms other than pure gacha exploitation, especially in the context of a game where they're being "generous" because they know they're shutting it down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

By standard gacha pricing, even a banner that gives you all rare things is still like 20-30 dollars spent on a few pieces of in-game gear, which isn't what I'd call "generous" by any terms other than pure gacha exploitation, especially in the context of a game where they're being "generous" because they know they're shutting it down.

Oh, the chips were overpriced. But considering you get enough for a pull of that every week with standard drop rates, ignoring event bonuses, it was enough to get you up to speed.

Only put a buck into the game to make sure I could recover lost data, and I got pretty much every part I wanted.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

drrockso20 posted:

I think it also depends on which era of Star Trek. If I'm taking the angle of 'a Star Trek episode is just a Gundam crossover somehow' and finding the Gundam universe that fits the best with that particular Trek series...

TOS and the overall Kirk era (so, including Strange New Worlds) probably links up the best with Turn-A, not because of tremendously linking themes, but generally copacetic tones and the fact that TOS had an established history with 'we visit aliens and it turns out it's just a weird version of a real Earth thing'; the fact Turn-A borrows a lot from War of the Worlds gives them a lot.

TNG is actually the hardest; it's the one that just fundamentally doesn't want to fight, so it probably more wants to do something on the sidelines of the setting rather than the core. The best I can think of is actually letting Worf lead a G Gundam story; Trek as a whole would do well with G Gundam's themes around war and environmentalism, but Worf's the one that provides the ability to actually do a story about Great Warriors Fighting For Dominance, and why would you do a G Gundam story without that part?

DS9 is probably the best suited for Gundam in general, if you take the angle of 'some cast members somehow time travel to Gundam Times' and it's just a weirder version of the Past Tense two-parter that just lets them get super political. 00 probably does it best, especially if you make it an episode with some combination of Sisko, Odo and Worf and make the whole thing about their views on peace and conflict. (Alternatively: throw Quark at Witch from Mercury and just do a whole thing about that setting's 'capitalist hellscape' element.)

And I can't speak for Voyager and Enterprise since I don't know enough about them, but Alex Kurtzman-era Trek with Discovery and Picard would probably feel at home in something like Unicorn-era UC.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 8, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The music in Gundam 0080 is way too peppy for something this dark

also where the gently caress is this kids parents, jeez

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

bowmore posted:

The music in Gundam 0080 is way too peppy for something this dark

also where the gently caress is this kids parents, jeez

They're getting divorced

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The last time 0080’s music was brought up, someone mentioned it’s Al’s score, doing some cool robot adventures with your new big bro! It’s very fitting for Al’s POV, but it places it in its time less gracefully than other synth-heavy scores of the 80s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How many wives did Degwin Zabi have? I might be blanking on my memory but Garma at least was supposed to have a different mother than Gihren and Dozle, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

How many wives did Degwin Zabi have? I might be blanking on my memory but Garma at least was supposed to have a different mother than Gihren and Dozle, right?

The information on this is largely limited. Naliss Zabi is stated in some sources to be Degwin's second wife, but also to be the mother of Dozel and Garma, despite Kycilia being born between them she is never particularly clarified. There is precious little information on his first wife.

The most likely outcome based off that little bit of info is that Gihren, Sasro and Kycilia were from his first wife, Dozel was born from his second wife as a mistress, and Garma was born after he married his mistress (and then she died in childbirth) but there's absolutely nothing backing that up. All we really know is that Degwin had two official wives and nothing indicates he remarried after Naliss died.

(Also the Dozel and Garma thing could easily just be wrong, which would mean his first wife is the child of everyone prior to Garma and Garma was his special little boy.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Who the gently caress is Sasro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Degwin's second eldest son after Gihren. Doesn't show up in the original series IIRC but is mentioned. Had a brief appearance in The Origin where Kycelia planted a bomb in his car as payback for slapping her.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

A Spanish Zabi Astronaut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Degwin's second eldest son after Gihren. Doesn't show up in the original series IIRC but is mentioned. Had a brief appearance in The Origin where Kycelia planted a bomb in his car as payback for slapping her.

Yeah, Sasro's entire thing is basically "was a Zabi kid, was assassinated in a car bombing, odds are extremely good one of his siblings killed him, with Kycelia being the one most strongly hinted in The Origin."

TO also says that Dozel got his scar in the bombing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Sasro's entire thing is basically "was a Zabi kid, was assassinated in a car bombing, odds are extremely good one of his siblings killed him, with Kycelia being the one most strongly hinted in The Origin."

TO also says that Dozel got his scar in the bombing as well.

Which he walked off. Just got out of the exploded car bleeding from the face like it wasn't a big deal.