Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hwurmp posted:

Katana Zero
Solid fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxiIA6fCnew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Velocity Raptor posted:

It's Genesis, but Sword of Sodan?

Don't think so, but thanks for trying!

Pulsarcat posted:

It wasn't King Arthur and the Knights of Justice was it?

...This is a solid maybe. I dunno if I'll ever be able to be certain about it, but this seems vaguely familiar. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

Katana Zero

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

quote:

Katana Zero

Yes it was this, thanks! Turns out I had weird filtering enabled in my Steam library for some reason.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

ponzicar posted:

ChatGPT type programs are not sources of information. Their job is to spit out text based on what's statistically likely to follow the previous words. Any accurate information they convey is merely the result of that information being present in the text they were trained on. It's like asking a bullshitter with dementia to read you the first page of google search results.

I know this, I just thought it was interesting and funny how specific the response was

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember reading the previews for Dungeon Siege, and how the devs were claiming that it was a truly connected world, where there were no loading screens after the initial loading of the game. If you were walking across a fallen tree that spanned a ravine and saw a cave down below you you could eventually make it down to that cave and walk right in.

Is that how it ended up working out?

It's true, you could go through the entire game without seeing a single loading screen. It did, however, have 60 second elevator rides, and gates that took a suspiciously long time to open.

All in all, Dungeon Siege was a bunch of innovative ideas crammed into a mediocre game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I remember reading the previews for Dungeon Siege, and how the devs were claiming that it was a truly connected world, where there were no loading screens after the initial loading of the game. If you were walking across a fallen tree that spanned a ravine and saw a cave down below you you could eventually make it down to that cave and walk right in.

Yeah, you could walk all the way back from the chamber where you battled the final boss to your still burning farmhouse, if you wanted. It really felt like a step up from 2D isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Diablo 2 or whatever. The game itself was just kind of ok, and the story was pretty perfunctory. Someone must have really been flogging the IP for it to spawn two sequels and a movie.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I remember being amazed at the seamless level traversal in Dungeon Siege. I think it might also have had a "follow this other player" button in coop which was great.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, you could walk all the way back from the chamber where you battled the final boss to your still burning farmhouse, if you wanted. It really felt like a step up from 2D isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Diablo 2 or whatever. The game itself was just kind of ok, and the story was pretty perfunctory. Someone must have really been flogging the IP for it to spawn two sequels and a movie.

Assuming you don't count the PSP spin-off, the amount of Dungeon Siege games and movies is equal!

That's the Uwe Boll magic at work.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

IIRC, it was more like "the western limit of the world is a farm. From that farm starts the only road in the universe. That road goes through all the other locations in the game, going through forest, monster infested mines, dungeons, passing through a castle and it's throne room, and eventually the place of the final battle."

The no load screens thing was true, it was just that the game was one big corridor.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Chris Taylor: Hey everyone, I just had an idea. Let's take what we've learned from Total Annihilation, and make an RPG using the control scheme from an RTS! And, we'll use all sorts of neat ideas I came up with to streamline the experience, like giving the player a button which hoovers up all the gold and drops, and a spell which turns trash drops into gold! And... get this... you can hire a pack mule to increase your inventory!

Someone: Brilliant! Revolutionary!

Chris Taylor: To make sure the player sees everything, we'll make the game entirely linear. And we'll slap on some half-assed multiplayer to create the illusion of replay value.

Someone: Awesome! I'll start right away on creating a deep, compelling setting and an epic story wherein-

Chris Taylor: Nah, don't bother, I'll bang out something next time I'm on the can.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And then Obsidian did a second sequel with way too much story

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jeyne Kassynder

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chris Taylor.... of Rollercoaster Tycoon fame? THAT Chris Taylor?!

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rollercoaster and Transport Tycoon are Chris Sawyer, not Taylor.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yeha man, DS is a Gas Powered Games joint. And in multiplayer you can turn on auto follow the other player, auto attack, auto loot and auto heal and you barely have to play at all! (I may be exaggerating, I played it on release and mostly remember that my contribution was negligible and it played itself)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Xerophyte posted:

Rollercoaster and Transport Tycoon are Chris Sawyer, not Taylor.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks!

Still can't believe dude wrote those tycoon games in assembly.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
I'm trying to find this old (probably came out before 2000) RPG that had this very memorable NPC guard with spiky blue hair who had a voiced line "Got a pass?"
I think it had a first person perspective.

Nevermind, found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B39Lqcx5DU
Turns out nostalgia gave this guy blue hair in my memories :P

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 12, 2023

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Asking for someone else. It was an edutainment game. Math game. By solving problems you could get coins to watch movies in a movie theater. Maybe western themed. The theater or the game contained the word "matinee" (This was the first time she'd ever seen that word)

There might have been multiple CDs with different subjects

Andorra fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 13, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Andorra posted:

Asking for someone else. It was an edutainment game. Math game. By solving problems you could get coins to watch movies in a movie theater. Maybe western themed. The theater or the game contained the word "matinee" (This was the first time she'd ever seen that word)

There might have been multiple CDs with different subjects

My Personal Tutor - Mathopolis?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
This is an old game I only half remember for the PC. It was a game where you build a 3D castle/castle town from above then you have the ability to load into the area and actually walk around inside and explore. I think there was also a court jester that walked you through the mechanics. I'm pretty sure there was more to the game than that, but I put a ton of time into making castles and then poking around, so that's the only part I really remember.
Also, this would have been mid to late 90s

Pomme de Terror fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 13, 2023

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm betting it's Crayola 3D Castle Creator.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

drat that was fast, that's definitely it. Thanks friend! :tipshat:

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

You got it, thanks!

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In terms of educational math games: mid nineties game, came on cd rom, ran on Windows 95. You played a spaceman who has to solve math puzzles to save the day. There was a part with leaky pipes and green slime, and a part where you shot lasers at asteroids. All of this by solving simple equations.

No idea what it was called, though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might be Math Blaster?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah that definitely sounds like one of the Math Blaster games

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Donkey Kong Jr. Math

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

aniviron posted:

Might be Math Blaster?

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Yeah that definitely sounds like one of the Math Blaster games

This is definitely it! It was Math Blaster Episode 1: In Search of Spot, to be precise.

Man, that was a white whale for a LONG time!

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

A game where you fly around as a severed head and there are also levels where you have a body and have to solve puzzles? Definitely an old game, maybe 80's?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

My first thought was Zombie Nation which has you playing as a severed head, but that's a shmup with no body levels to my knowledge.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Decap Attack?

Br3instyrm
Jan 3, 2013
Wizkid.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
On the extremely far chance you have the date wrong, Headlander? It's 2016 but wanted to throw it out there.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I remember in the 90s, some of my classmates installed a bunch of games on the school computer. One of them was a very basic 2d fps (wolfenstein graphics) where you ventured into a haunted mansion i think, to save your girlfriend(?). I remember when you defeated the enemies, they turned into a flower pot. Among the enemy types were witches and zombies if i recall.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GyverMac posted:

I remember in the 90s, some of my classmates installed a bunch of games on the school computer. One of them was a very basic 2d fps (wolfenstein graphics) where you ventured into a haunted mansion i think, to save your girlfriend(?). I remember when you defeated the enemies, they turned into a flower pot. Among the enemy types were witches and zombies if i recall.

Nitemare 3D, maybe

it has a girlfriend but no flower pots

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For some reason I felt like mentioning Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, even though it is nowhere near close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72FJeUXBgDU

Be sure to peep those credits 12 seconds in tho.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 17, 2023

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hwurmp posted:

Nitemare 3D, maybe

it has a girlfriend but no flower pots

Wow! That was quick, thank you!

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I’ve got one- an old school edutainment series that was themed around math/reading/maybe one more? Main character had a red baseball cap and the villain was a mad scientist type with a bunch of robot helpers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Super Solvers