Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's not just SU. Almost every serious MoC fight is multi-target against targets that don't die quickly/for free, meaning that characters who do tons of splash attacks like Blade, Daniel, or Jing Yuan punch way above their single target weight at all times. Full AoE is a little bit less awesome because full AoE tends to have poo poo multipliers to compensate for being full AoE, but it still generally gets solid value against 2-3 targets.

Seele isn't particularly hurting because her modifiers are extremely high and her stats are great, but Hunt as a class is a little wanting in this scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Seele also gets the free turn on kill thing which isn't as good as splash but does help her contribute a lot more in fights with adds.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, it's pretty trivially easy to give Seele 4 turns in a row, which is exactly the number of turns you need to wipe out all four of a boss's adds

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ok destruction is pretty cool I guess

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DancingShade posted:

I don't have Blade but high five fellow Jing Yuan enjoyer. Not sure what team to build? Spare slot? Jing Yuan'll fix it.

JY can get pretty silly with Elation in SU, since Lightning Lord already does a lot of damage.

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, it's pretty trivially easy to give Seele 4 turns in a row, which is exactly the number of turns you need to wipe out all four of a boss's adds

That requires lots of skill points, though (and you also need to be able to one-shot the adds, which can be a high ask in certain scenarios).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

JY can get pretty silly with Elation in SU, since Lightning Lord already does a lot of damage.

I like when LL breaks Gepard's invincibility shield and everything just explodes for a million damage and dies

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
anyway after exhaustive testing, hunt feels like the weakest path in swarm, which is super great when there's a challenge that requires it and also for you to be running on level 4 or higher

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

so if i cant' kill all the bugs in one cycle, that pretty much means i can't pass at all cause they just keep respawning right, and i'm screwed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

GateOfD posted:

so if i cant' kill all the bugs in one cycle, that pretty much means i can't pass at all cause they just keep respawning right, and i'm screwed.

Because they blow up when killed, as long as you're able to last long enough to grind them down you can let them fill up to 5 enemies, get them all relatively low, then kill one and let the chain reaction clear them.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
turns out the answer to world 7 was more elation

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

78?!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

GateOfD posted:

No.

Zurai posted:

The key I've found for non-boss Swarms is to just let them propagate/reinforce to 5 units, then AOE them down. You don't have to do it perfectly evenly as long as the highest HP Sting is less than like 80% HP and the others are low enough to set off a chain reaction. Then just kill the lowest-HP one and watch the booms.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Finally managed to build the Welt I got from losing a 50/50 like two months ago, and man, Seele, Silver Wolf, him and Luocha kinda tear through the Swarm SU

He's not even perfectly built, traced and whatever, and he just has a 4-star lightcone (good night and sleep well), but he does way more damage than I expected

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Leraika posted:

anyway after exhaustive testing, hunt feels like the weakest path in swarm, which is super great when there's a challenge that requires it and also for you to be running on level 4 or higher

Vaguely related, but can you get multiple dual-path blessing things in a run (or higher levels for one pair of paths)?

Or do you just get the one for the first other path you get 3 blessings for?

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Vaguely related, but can you get multiple dual-path blessing things in a run (or higher levels for one pair of paths)?

Or do you just get the one for the first other path you get 3 blessings for?

You can get both dual resonances in a run and actually one of the objectives requires both in one run.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I got both dual destructions with my Blade team, which is how I got my world 3 clear.

I really hope they update the swarm or do another SU event and just keep throwing in wilder and more gamebreaking blessings. I’ve already seen stuff like Luocha soloing the final deer, the better Daniel getting 7 turns in a row, people hitting millions with the power of gambling, etc.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

im broke irl and in-game

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Leraika posted:

Hunt doesn't feel bad to me at all. I had no problems breezing through that challenge. The hunt blessings that give you extra actions when you break or kill an enemy, combined with the path of resonance that advances the turn of your character with the highest attack, can cause you to combo off on almost anything. I do think that the trotters moving around the grid can be a little annoying sometimes, but it's worth it for everything else it does for you. Just note that supports like Tingyun lose a bit of value when your main dps is taking eight turns in a row; their buffs fall off too quickly. Nihility debuffers work better, or Asta.

I think I've cleared Difficulty 4 with everything at least once, except Preservation, because I don't have Gepard. Feeling very confident at that difficulty now, but 5 is still extremely tough.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BearPlayingGuitar posted:

You can get both dual resonances in a run and actually one of the objectives requires both in one run.

Wait, what do you mean "both dual resonances"?

My understanding (that is probably wrong) is that it works like this - you choose your path at the beginning of the run, and the first other path you get 3 blessings for grants you a dual resonance blessing. Do you get a second at 6 or something?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can get both as long as you fulfill the requirements (3 of your base and 3 of the secondary path)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I had 3 elation and 3 preservation, and the minute I got 3 destruction (my primary) I got both the dual resonances.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AshtonDragon posted:

Hunt doesn't feel bad to me at all. I had no problems breezing through that challenge. The hunt blessings that give you extra actions when you break or kill an enemy, combined with the path of resonance that advances the turn of your character with the highest attack, can cause you to combo off on almost anything. I do think that the trotters moving around the grid can be a little annoying sometimes, but it's worth it for everything else it does for you. Just note that supports like Tingyun lose a bit of value when your main dps is taking eight turns in a row; their buffs fall off too quickly. Nihility debuffers work better, or Asta.

I think I've cleared Difficulty 4 with everything at least once, except Preservation, because I don't have Gepard. Feeling very confident at that difficulty now, but 5 is still extremely tough.

You absolutely don't need Gepard to make Preservation good. I've been doing it with March and MC.

Anyway, the basic Hunt gameplan of speed and big crits isn't bad, but I do think the Resonance sucks a whole lot in Swarm, because it doesn't scale with the increased enemy HP at all. It scales off of the ATK of your characters, but very little in the Path actually raises their ATK by much, and I'm not sure the Trotter crit boosts even apply to it? It's certainly a lot less impressive than it is in normal SU where you can trivially wipe out waves of adds while simultaneously replenishing itself.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what do you mean "both dual resonances"?

My understanding (that is probably wrong) is that it works like this - you choose your path at the beginning of the run, and the first other path you get 3 blessings for grants you a dual resonance blessing. Do you get a second at 6 or something?

Each path has two options for Resonance Interplay. They require your normal Path Resonance (which is 3 of the path you chose) and 3 of a specific other path. You can get both interplays if you meet the requirements for both.

It does not work for any combination of paths, each path works with just 2 others. You can check what they are in the list of blessings before you start or during your run.

For example, Nihility has an interplay with Hunt and with Propagation. If you have 3 Nihility blessings you will get Path Resonance: Nihility that does the DoTs on the enemy. If you have 3 Hunt blessings you get Resonance Interplay: Off the Beaten Track and if you have 3 Propagation blessings you get Resonance Interplay: White Nights. It is also possible to get your normal resonance formations from getting 6, 10, and 14 Nihility blessings.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

does anyone know what the trace level boosting eidolons are about, the ones with a phrasing like "Skill Lv. +2, up to a maximum of Lv. 15. Basic ATK Lv. +1, up to a maximum of Lv. 10."

max level ive seen is 12 for skills on a level 80 character, is there a way to boost trace levels even more in SU or something

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Erg posted:

does anyone know what the trace level boosting eidolons are about, the ones with a phrasing like "Skill Lv. +2, up to a maximum of Lv. 15. Basic ATK Lv. +1, up to a maximum of Lv. 10."

max level ive seen is 12 for skills on a level 80 character, is there a way to boost trace levels even more in SU or something

In the main game, this increases your max trace level so you can increase stuff higher. I think the way the costs work mean that you go up 2 levels automatically so you don't waste materials if you're already maxed out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Genovera posted:

Each path has two options for Resonance Interplay. They require your normal Path Resonance (which is 3 of the path you chose) and 3 of a specific other path. You can get both interplays if you meet the requirements for both.

It does not work for any combination of paths, each path works with just 2 others. You can check what they are in the list of blessings before you start or during your run.

For example, Nihility has an interplay with Hunt and with Propagation. If you have 3 Nihility blessings you will get Path Resonance: Nihility that does the DoTs on the enemy. If you have 3 Hunt blessings you get Resonance Interplay: Off the Beaten Track and if you have 3 Propagation blessings you get Resonance Interplay: White Nights. It is also possible to get your normal resonance formations from getting 6, 10, and 14 Nihility blessings.

And in Swarm mode it's not even unlikely that you'll unlock both Resonance Interplays and all 3 normal Resonance bonuses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Erg posted:

You cannot get above 12 normally, but they include scaling for 13-15 because there can theoretically be like SU bonuses or whatever that increase trace levels. Not that I'm aware of any that exist right now.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

its gonna be that. in genshin there's characters where their talent is that they give +1 level boost to each skill ability that can push it beyond the max. you can usually level to.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

God drat it. I had a perfect start to a run, managed to get two 3 star blessing, 6 curios (trotter on a regular combat domain that somehow had three enemies) unlocked both path interaction resonance and had around 500 credit at the end of the first plane.

Then I met Ix for the first time as my aeon audience. Game over.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

God drat it. I had a perfect start to a run, managed to get two 3 star blessing, 6 curios (trotter on a regular combat domain that somehow had three enemies) unlocked both path interaction resonance and had around 500 credit at the end of the first plane.

Then I met Ix for the first time as my aeon audience. Game over.

Oh this happened to me earlier ! Ended my run after the first plane in a similarly well going run.

Definitely felt the pain on that.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, I also got hosed over by IX on a promising-looking run. I'd tell it to go gently caress itself, but it wouldn't care.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

You absolutely don't need Gepard to make Preservation good. I've been doing it with March and MC.

Anyway, the basic Hunt gameplan of speed and big crits isn't bad, but I do think the Resonance sucks a whole lot in Swarm, because it doesn't scale with the increased enemy HP at all. It scales off of the ATK of your characters, but very little in the Path actually raises their ATK by much, and I'm not sure the Trotter crit boosts even apply to it? It's certainly a lot less impressive than it is in normal SU where you can trivially wipe out waves of adds while simultaneously replenishing itself.

Instead of leaning on the path to do damage, it's all about using it to advance the action of your DPS. Giving them multiple actions can really allow you to tear through stuff in a hurry.

It's entirely possible that Hunt is one of the weaker paths in Swarm, but I at least felt the need to test if it's effective in difficulty 5, and got my first clear of that difficulty on my first attempt. That's... something?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Throw me into the pile of good run ended by IX. Honestly it was probably my luckiest SU run ever, I'm still salty about it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Zeron posted:

Throw me into the pile of good run ended by IX. Honestly it was probably my luckiest SU run ever, I'm still salty about it.

Same. Both resonance paths, showered in lucky curios from occurrences, annihilating the elites… oh look it’s IX yay I unlocked another aeon, and this’ll be my first clear run I can’t lose —

Oh no

God no

:magical:

hi herta

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

lol what does it do, deletes all your stuff?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It ends the run immediately. The explanation is basically that you stop caring and give up because Nihility.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Ends the run automatically, IX kicks you straight out of SU for a nap.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my favorite game over is the kind that happened not because i earned it through bad decisions but because the dice said i'm done now

this is fun and quirky

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think it's random, it's part of the mandatory story progression. It's a forced event as part of the meta-narrative, and can only ever happen once afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

that still sucks though