Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

biceps crimes posted:

very funny. i'm cooking up a villain speech that i will soon post

i'm gonna add it to the list when you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

sounds stressful af for your friend god drat but glad he escaped unscathed on the trip. any chance you know the general class of mask he wears? like p100 / n95 / kn95 / etc

Breatheteq KN95.

FWIW, I also daily-drive a KN95 (BNX) and it fits me like a glove, while KF94s don't fit snuggly and most N95s strangle my huge head. Interesting how fit varies person to person.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

I found the face of danger

Hit da bricks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

the obviously correct answer doesn't make them feel smart. lots of these people have been trained that the obviously correct answer has some fatal trap, and the wrong answer is actually the correct answer for ~I'm smart~ reasons. This mentality pervades law, business, etc. and bleeds into everything else, especially in the US. Conceding that the obviously correct answer is correct feels like a betrayal of some dipshit professor they had who convinced them that every good thing is actually bad because of unintended consequences that make all good things bad

lol yeah

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Sep 9, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jort Fortress posted:

(..)
it fits me like a glove
(..)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wtf is a toilet mask is that for covering your face so nobody sees the unflattering expression you make while taking a mad poo poo

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fur20 posted:

wtf is a toilet mask
(..)

It's a face glove.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Lib and let die posted:

I found the face of danger

Costco free samples suck because they have stuff like "Libby's vienna sausages" or "tyson chicken nuggets", who doesn't already know what these products are. It just creates a giant shopping cart clusterfuck of dipshits who are incapable of spatial awereness.

When it's some random new/niche thing it's whatever, like maybe you want to try that prepackaged item before committing to buying 10 pounds of it, completely reasonable, most people just walk past it anyways as they're not interested free or not so it doesn't have the same impact.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

Breatheteq KN95.

oh nice, that's what my partner wears to work every day, switched to them maybe 8 months ago when someone posted a sample pack discount and realized they fit her better than Powecoms. nice to hear they passed at least one real world stress test :')

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
save your drat meat cylinders, mary. the little glass cake things are almost gone

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Platystemon posted:

It’s pretty funny that people wanted a forums rule that we can’t discuss science unless it’s been peer-reviewed.

remember like a month ago when they were all losing their minds over COLD FUSION FINALLY ACHIEVED, YES ITS REAL

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does anyone find that iota carrageenan gives them post nasal drip? I feel so gross the day after I use it but I don't know how much of that has been wildfire smoke and/or various other non-respiratory virus reasons.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Jyrraeth posted:

Does anyone find that iota carrageenan gives them post nasal drip? I feel so gross the day after I use it but I don't know how much of that has been wildfire smoke and/or various other non-respiratory virus reasons.

post-nasal drip is a symptom of damaged tissue, because dripping is normal but you're never supposed to perceive it unless the nerves got sensitized somehow. can happen with upper respiratory acid reflux i think

has anyone ever investigated the long term safety of these cold sprays? most seem marketed for short term, not daily prophylaxis forever. never seen any potential harms of them talked about. are there any long term?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Covid positive vomiting blood? Mild

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

maxwellhill posted:

post-nasal drip is a symptom of damaged tissue, because dripping is normal but you're never supposed to perceive it unless the nerves got sensitized somehow. can happen with upper respiratory acid reflux i think

has anyone ever investigated the long term safety of these cold sprays? most seem marketed for short term, not daily prophylaxis forever. never seen any potential harms of them talked about. are there any long term?

All mine says on the bottle is USE AS OFTEN AS NEEDED.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR, however in terms of ingredients I don't see how spraying your nostrils once or twice a day is fundamentally different from swimming in the ocean daily. It's just salt and water and occasionally a binding compound

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

timestamped to the relevant part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9isN27dMO8&t=1157s

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
ive used flo travel 2-3 times a day for months and have experienced zero issues and zero covid.

on a few occasions ive used it dozens of times in a single day due to being forced to work unmasked during special events :thumbsup:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

maxwellhill posted:

i'm not aware of any studies of long-term impacts of nasal use of any of the active ingredients the thread has mentioned. for iota carrageenan specifically, it's been widely present in gelatinous foods for decades with no seemingly noticeable negative effects, although it hasn't been studied super closely. my understanding of how it works nasally is that it forms large, charged chains inside your nose which are not permeable through your cell membranes, so then mucosal clearing eventually takes those chains down to your stomach, where it's digested the same way it would be as if you'd eaten it in a gelatinous food. so probably it's no worse than consuming iota carrageenan in like, vegan jell-o or whatever.

again though just my understanding and not deeply studied afaik

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Putting just about anything up your nose may or may not cause irritation. Carrageenan is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated, but some people do have allergies or sensitivities to it, including some people with alpha-gal allergy (which, incidentally, is more prevalent in many places than people appreciate)

But if you've been breathing wildfire smoke or had a respiratory infection I don't think you can really pin it on the nasal spray

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Morbus posted:

Putting just about anything up your nose may or may not cause irritation. Carrageenan is generally regarded as safe and well-tolerated, but some people do have allergies or sensitivities to it, including some people with alpha-gal allergy (which, incidentally, is more prevalent in many places than people appreciate)

But if you've been breathing wildfire smoke or had a respiratory infection I don't think you can really pin it on the nasal spray

Yeah that's what I figured. I tend to have sensitive passageways even in the beforetimes (double beforetimes of before the pandemic and before garunteed smoke season). Sometimes regular saline nasal rinses just don't feel great.

Is alpha-gal allergy something you can get without the tick bite?

I also don't use it daily. Just a hermit and I use it once or twice a week for groceries/etc. I probably wouldnt be able to tolerate it for more than a day BUT beats getting covid again.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

in my day job I have to deal with a lot of suppliers and vendors. never have to meet them but need to talk to them and send and receive emails from them. one of the suppliers had not been responding to emails for 3+ weeks. then suddenly and somewhat unexpectedly I get a reply. rep says they have been bedridden for weeks with a "mysterious illness" and since coming back to work they are having difficulty concentrating and remembering things and needed more than usual help in preparing for what we were going to talk about. we setup a video call meeting for the next day. the rep looks a bit beat up, like physically bruised, when I see them on the webcam. I don't ask about this but while we are doing our opening chatting before getting to business they mention that just the other day, the rep had been outside and suddenly felt a bit queasy. next thing they remember is waking up on the ground after apparently losing consciousness. thankfully there was no permanent damage beyond some bruises

was this a result and consequence of covid? they didn't say nor did I ask. this isn't the first time I've heard a story like this. it is not even the first time I've posted something like this. never in my career have I had so many sales reps tell me about unexpected, mysterious health problems they or their immediate family have developed. I do know that our corporate purchasing manager was a few months ago out for 10 days with what people told me was covid, so covid is definitely circulating in those networks and in the buying and selling positions you see a lot of people face to face in small rooms.

a bit worried about people I know and deal with suddenly contracting, and at unheard of rates, illnesses that are really walloping them and giving them lingering issues.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 02:50 on Sep 11, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

maxwellhill posted:

dripping is normal

big dripper found

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
how long until a AAA video game has Covid as a plot point the way tuberculosis pops up in red dead redemption 2

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Steve Yun posted:

how long until a AAA video game has Covid as a plot point the way tuberculosis pops up in red dead redemption 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood_incident

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

OVER

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's going to be extremely funny rolling into the fall and winter with nothing left except wastewater reporting

Death of Innocence
Jan 12, 2006

PoundSand posted:

Costco free samples suck because they have stuff like "Libby's vienna sausages" or "tyson chicken nuggets", who doesn't already know what these products are. It just creates a giant shopping cart clusterfuck of dipshits who are incapable of spatial awereness.

When it's some random new/niche thing it's whatever, like maybe you want to try that prepackaged item before committing to buying 10 pounds of it, completely reasonable, most people just walk past it anyways as they're not interested free or not so it doesn't have the same impact.

Costco free samples are just shopping hors d'oeuvres. Sometimes the stuff being sampled sells a little better than it would have otherwise, but the main point of it is that it rewards people for coming in and making a lap of the store. It’s especially effective on kids too. Go to Costco and maybe buy some stuff, and you can have some free snacks and a $1.50 hot dog while you’re there. From what I’ve seen and heard there’s a lot of people who associate shopping at Costco with getting free samples. The second biggest reason to do samples is to spur impulse purchases, and in both cases it doesn’t matter if people already know what chicken nuggets taste like, the point is to influence their behavior by giving them a treat they’re going to like.

Death of Innocence has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Sep 10, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

it's fine, it's normal, it's mild

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I 100% got exposed at work yesterday. This dumbass company has still not even uttered the word COVID other than that bullshit "slow the spread" campaign from like March 2020.

This guy texted me after working with us for the morning and said the clinic "told him to go home (you have COVID)" around noon. I saw him still in his office with a lovely surgical mask just sitting on his desk (unused of course) while he continued to talk with everyone unmasked in the 15x15 office for hours until close at 5.

Not a peep from HR, everyone went to some big rear end company lunch thing too so literally everyone in the office has been exposed.

Stupid diseased nation.

i shared a car with and kissed someone less than 24 hours from when they started feeling symptoms and popped poz on a rapid test and i somehow avoided it, that has been my closest known contact.

this was last summer. so... delta? i can't keep track anymore.

anyway maybe you'll magically dodge it like i have.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

this was last summer. so... delta? i can't keep track anymore.

Last Summer was still Omicron (mild). Delta was Summer 2021.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's an uncropped ad if anyone was wondering wtf was going on there:

Olde timey facial treatment devices are hilarious :buddy:

They also double as luchador costumes in case a pro-wrestling match suddenly breaks out in your house

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
haha, thank god we're not weird about our physical appearance anymore

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bedpan posted:

a bit worried about people I know and deal with suddenly contracting, and at unheard of rates, illnesses that are really walloping them and giving them lingering issues.

this for me too. also hearing about people’s kids having strokes and poo poo is really upsetting and hard!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So uh, vomiting is now a fairly common symptom of Covid? Cool cool

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Can't wait for the inevitable: ":actually: a tsunami is technically..."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/covid-numbers-rising-fauci-predicting-tsunami-hospitalizations-deaths/story?id=103056079 posted:

COVID numbers are rising again, but Fauci not predicting another 'tsunami of hospitalizations and deaths'
He also encouraged vulnerable people to get the next booster shot.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

NeonPunk posted:

So uh, vomiting is now a fairly common symptom of Covid? Cool cool

There's always been a less common but not rare set of GI symptoms with covid.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some more BA.2.86.x stuff from the UK, particularly highlighting the care home outbreak:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...cal-briefing-53 posted:

(..)
Situational assessment BA.2.86 (Variant Technical Group of 5 September 2023)
  • There is a continued slow accumulation of cases globally including cases reported from new countries. The rate of detection of new sequenced cases cannot be used as an indicator of growth due to limited and lagging genomic surveillance globally.
  • BA.2.86 is now more globally dispersed than other lineages of similar age in 2023. This may have been the result of international seeding from one or more unknown sources through mass travel. However, with apparent established transmission chains now in many countries, these seeding events are now unlikely to be the key driver of spread.
  • The data suggest established community transmission of BA.2.86 within the UK. This is based on the detection of multiple unlinked cases in different regions of the UK, without identified travel links, and phylogeny (the relationship between cases as determined by viral genomic data). This finding does not confirm that BA.2.86 has a growth advantage within the UK compared to other circulating variants.
  • A single care home outbreak was investigated due to a high attack rate and found to be BA.2.86. This cannot be used to make an assessment of the variant’s fitness but in contrast to recent laboratory data suggesting lower infectivity in vitro, this is an early indicator that the variant may be sufficiently transmissible to have impact in close contact settings.
  • Pseudovirus neutralisation data is available from several laboratories. Whilst this data has limitations, antigenic cartography based on mouse sera is mostly consistent with the antigenic distances estimated from the mutational profile. The potential UK population impact after several vaccines and waves cannot be extrapolated from the available data.
  • Some early indicators of increasing COVID-19 transmission in the UK were noted and behavioural, immunological and virological factors may all be contributing. We cannot confirm that BA.2.86 is contributing to any increase given available data.
  • There is an insufficient number of cases to make an assessment of outcome or severity. In the UK, the current surveillance systems do not support an assessment of comparative severity between variants but trends in severity and outcomes can be monitored over time through hospital data. It is likely that any such signal will take weeks to be visible and confirmed through sequencing.
(..)
Of 34 cases, 5 cases were hospitalised, 2 cases had unknown hospitalisation status, and there were no deaths due to COVID-19 among these cases (note that this will not be representative of all BA.2.86 cases as most genomic surveillance is among people tested in hospital).
(..)
Care home outbreak
On 21 August 2023 UKHSA was notified of an outbreak in a care home in the East of England with reports of an increased number of cases and increased severity compared to previous outbreaks at the home. All residents and symptomatic or lateral flow device (LFD) positive staff members were polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tested and PCR positive samples were referred to UKHSA for sequencing.

As of 5 September 2023, 33 out of 38 residents have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 (attack rate 86.6%). Of the 33 positive residents, 19 (57.6%) were symptomatic with symptom onset between the 20 August 2023 and 28 August 2023; 29 of the residents have now recovered, while 4 remain unwell. One resident was hospitalised as a result of their illness (hospitalisation rate, 3.0%), and no deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported. Twelve staff tested positive either by LFD and/or PCR, and all have now recovered. No staff members were hospitalised.

A total of 43 samples were sent for sequencing (33 care home samples and 10 staff samples) of which 28 of the samples were identified as BA.2.86 (22 care home residents and 6 staff). Of the remaining 15 samples sent for sequencing, 11 were not suitable for sequencing, one failed and 3 are low quality and being further investigated.

At least 29 out of 33 the residents who tested positive had received a dose of COVID-19 vaccination as part of the spring booster campaign around 4 months prior to the outbreak and all 4 of the residents who tested negative had received a spring booster. Known information about confirmed cases among care home residents is summarised in table 1.

The sequences from the care home cluster together and are distinct from other UK cases. All sequences from this cluster share 2 mutations that are not seen in any other BA.2.86 genomes to date: a synonymous mutation in nsp2 (2527 G>A); and a non-synonymous change in nsp3 (P153L).

The sequences in this cluster are most closely related to sequences from France (n=2) and Sweden (n=4). They share a non-synonymous mutation in nsp2 (Y441C) with these European sequences that is not observed in other BA.2.86 sequences. There are 3 mutations observed within the cluster that are not seen in all sequences. Two are each observed in a single sequence: nsp2 A318V and nsp2 F406C. The other mutation (S D1139N) is observed in 5 sequences in this cluster and the nucleotide change is observed as a mixed base in an additional sequence.
(..)

This seems like a variant still in the process of optimizing point mutations (e.g. the easy low-hanging fitness optimization).

The eye-popping number of people having received the spring booster is bad news, but also it is always worth remembering that the UK vaccination program is atypical:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-spring-booster-resources/a-guide-to-the-covid-19-spring-booster-2023 posted:

(..)
Vaccines in use this spring
You will be given a booster dose of a vaccine made by Pfizer, Moderna or Sanofi and approved in the UK. These vaccines have been updated since the original vaccines and target different COVID-19 variants. For a very small number of people another vaccine product may be advised by your doctor.
(..)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Steve Yun posted:

An unusual wave of sickness has broken out in the overcrowded metropolis of [city name]. The origin of the illness is unknown. Some speculate it could be related to smog and pollution, while others say it could be something more dangerous. Or it could just be a spike in flu. In any case, more elderly are filling the city's hospital wards. Do you institute quarantine measures now or wait for longer?

Quarantine: +20 Science, -15 Money for 10 turns in [city name]

Wait: A deathly silence falls upon [city name] as the city is locked-down. Every sector of the economy suffers. -25 Industry for 10 turns

(From the 4X game Humankind)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Cao has some updates out on BA.2.86, some of which is not based on pseudovirus assays, though it is a bit opaque to me which is or isn't based on pseudovirus:
https://twitter.com/yunlong_cao/status/1700676053457658140

https://nitter.net/yunlong_cao/status/1700676053457658140

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1700894167633658201?s=20

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1700894791003705738?s=20

show yourself, deerhoof