Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Which he walked off. Just got out of the exploded car bleeding from the face like it wasn't a big deal.

In Dozel's defense, Sasro was the one sitting on the reactant mass. Dozel was just close.

This, when combined with the fact Dozel was standing on the exploding Big Zam when he died, suggests that the only way to kill Dozel was for him to actually be on top of the explosive. Proximity isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Quark visits G Witch and attempts to buy out Peil. Rom hangs out with the goat. Worf goes four rounds with Chu Chu (TKO).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nessus posted:

Quark visits G Witch and attempts to buy out Peil. Rom hangs out with the goat. Worf goes four rounds with Chu Chu (TKO).

Look if it's DS9 Worf then he does have a fighting chance to win that match.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Waffleman_ posted:

Who the gently caress is Sasro

My face when someone doesn't know who Sasro Zabi is

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1700611198444798382?t=1_M0_cPUEKWOqGWsngXS2w&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/PrimateNemesis/status/1700572490962268310?t=Bu2F9K1rwmT2Mb4xRoYGyw&s=19

Mmmmm, newtypes...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Degwin's second eldest son after Gihren. Doesn't show up in the original series IIRC but is mentioned. Had a brief appearance in The Origin where Kycelia planted a bomb in his car as payback for slapping her.

Sasro first gets mention in the Gunboy proposals:

quote:

YEAR 2059

Daikun faction assassinates Sasro Zabi, the second son of Gimro Sodo Zabi. Purge by wiping out of the Daikun faction (Sunday)

He doesn't get mention in the original show, but he is briefly mentioned in the Tomino novelization.

quote:

Whether Degwin Zabi was aware of all his son's machinations at the time was unclear, but Gihren Zabi soon became Supreme Commander and managed to gain control of the Zeon military and the police, placing his brother, Dozle, and sister, Kycilia, in positions of power. In the few years since the founding of the Archduchy, he had finally come within sight of achieving all his immediate ambitions. If there was anything he regretted, it was that his younger brother, Sasro, had been assassinated in the early struggle with the Deikun faction, for Sasro would have been ideally suited to work in government administration.

It's worth noting that Tomino had several different ideas for Zabi siblings, and the production notes for the show as it (mostly) exists also mention a "Miharu Zabi" as the youngest Zabi (yes, younger than Garma); trying to grab the link for that gave me the unfortunate realization that Mark Simmons "Ultimatemark" site is no longer active, by the way. It seems to have gone down in June or early July, which is rather sad, since it was a good hub for supplementary information of various kinds. Going back to the point though, Tomino likes reusing names or concepts regularly, so the name Miharu got recycled when making a Kai storyline, while Sasro never got expanded upon or reused in the Tomino stuff, which is probably why Yaz felt comfortable expanding on it for his vision of the original story.

As to Kycilia, it's also worth pointing out that Kycilia in those production notes is only 24 but Yaz's design appears to have leant into an older sibling, so is seems like Tomino ran with that and in his novelization she's actually the second Zabi sibling, and older than Dozle. Which is probably why you get things like ImpAtom mentioned, where Naliss Zabi is mentioned as both Gihren and Dozle's mother despite Kycilia being born between them according to most material, since originally Tomino would have planned on Kycilia being born after Dozle, and then changing his mind, seemingly based on Yaz' character design making her look older than he'd pictured.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

Sasro first gets mention in the Gunboy proposals:

He doesn't get mention in the original show, but he is briefly mentioned in the Tomino novelization.

It's worth noting that Tomino had several different ideas for Zabi siblings, and the production notes for the show as it (mostly) exists also mention a "Miharu Zabi" as the youngest Zabi (yes, younger than Garma); trying to grab the link for that gave me the unfortunate realization that Mark Simmons "Ultimatemark" site is no longer active, by the way. It seems to have gone down in June or early July, which is rather sad, since it was a good hub for supplementary information of various kinds. Going back to the point though, Tomino likes reusing names or concepts regularly, so the name Miharu got recycled when making a Kai storyline, while Sasro never got expanded upon or reused in the Tomino stuff, which is probably why Yaz felt comfortable expanding on it for his vision of the original story.

As to Kycilia, it's also worth pointing out that Kycilia in those production notes is only 24 but Yaz's design appears to have leant into an older sibling, so is seems like Tomino ran with that and in his novelization she's actually the second Zabi sibling, and older than Dozle. Which is probably why you get things like ImpAtom mentioned, where Naliss Zabi is mentioned as both Gihren and Dozle's mother despite Kycilia being born between them according to most material, since originally Tomino would have planned on Kycilia being born after Dozle, and then changing his mind, seemingly based on Yaz' character design making her look older than he'd pictured.

Mark has been falling apart for a while now. I first noticed a few years ago after going back to a bookmark I'd made of the site for it's very thorough UC timeline and noticing that the timeline just wasn't there anymore. Which is a shame, because if you really just wanted to see all the big events in chronological order, it was the best place to look.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Ultimatemark still exists, it's right there: http://ultimatemark.com/gundam/

His note on the UC timeline currently is:

"Special Feature: Universal Century Timeline

Formerly an interactive timeline of the Universal Century. I haven't maintained this, because the official timeline is frankly a bit of a mess at this point. When time permits, I'll build something new from scratch."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That link is dead when I click it, with a Dreamhost notice that the site cannot be found.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tsob posted:

That link is dead when I click it, with a Dreamhost notice that the site cannot be found.

Worked for me

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's coming up for me as well, and I've never seen the place to have it cached, so this smacks of ISP fuckery

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Works for me too. Tsob has been banned from mark.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can get on. I think the certificates are not correct

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

Works for me too. Tsob has been banned from mark.

Huh, so it turns out that *I* am the ultimate mark in this case; what a twist.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Certificate buggery shouldn't throw ISP messages. Just security warnings if the site is forcing HTTPS or... I dunno, can you make a browser require HTTPS on all connections? I never thought about that.

edit: Some wayback machine sleuthing suggests he took the timeline down sometime after December 2, 2016.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161202031211/http://www.ultimatemark.com/gundam/timeline.php

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 10, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/nanopocalypse/status/1700681152577605690?s=20

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh gently caress

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Runa posted:

oh gently caress

https://twitter.com/nanopocalypse/status/1700681158378377254?s=20

Two of Them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Diana and Kihel aren't even featured here???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Diana and Kihel aren't even featured here???

https://twitter.com/nanopocalypse/status/1700681164611023104?s=20

Two More of Them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V90yloBeenA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I can't come up with a better joke than the first line on a project with the word 'Metaverse' in the name being "It's okay to make mistakes."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also a lesser Model Shop Mom, smdh

Caros
May 14, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Also a lesser Model Shop Mom, smdh

A metaphor for build series as a whole.

Build everything is so strange because thry nailed the concept in the first go. (gundam builders beginning was an ova it doesn't count Damnit) and then made inferior copy after inferior copy because they insisted on trying to be different.

Tri with the team angle that rarely worked. Divers nixing to actual models in favor of dumb vr bullshit and so forth.

That said, I'd be lying if seeing Build Burning gundam with a master Asia Cape doesn't get a moderate hype on principle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
IMO, Re:Rise is pretty much as good as the original Build Fighters.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Caros posted:

A metaphor for build series as a whole.

Build everything is so strange because thry nailed the concept in the first go. (gundam builders beginning was an ova it doesn't count Damnit) and then made inferior copy after inferior copy because they insisted on trying to be different.

Tri with the team angle that rarely worked. Divers nixing to actual models in favor of dumb vr bullshit and so forth.

That said, I'd be lying if seeing Build Burning gundam with a master Asia Cape doesn't get a moderate hype on principle.

It sorta fell into the same problem as Yu-Gi-Oh in that way, really. Granted, I think Yu-Gi-Oh series have a higher average quality than Build, all those at least turn out watchable, albeit sometimes in a 'trainwreck appeal' way.

I wonder if taking a Pokemon sort of approach to just keep stretching that first concept would've actually worked for Build, though; Pokemon could just keep doing the same formula with new Pokemon because every few years, there's 100+ new ones to introduce and do new stuff with, but with gunpla that's basically what new main Gundam shows are for. You don't need a new Build series just to showcase new Witch from Mercury suits, because we already got a show that filled that need, it was called Witch from Mercury!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there are enough gundam robots to showcase that i think we'd be pretty far down the line before we hit "oh no the only models we can advertise are the ones we are already advertising"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kanos posted:

IMO, Re:Rise is pretty much as good as the original Build Fighters.

Re Rise is the secret best Gundam series. What makes it and the original Build Fighters work is that they are both built around a strong emotional core of a sad person becoming happy by connecting with other people through Gunpla.

In Try and Divers, the main character is perfectly fine and happy already and Gunpla is just a fun hobby they pick up. Hell, in Divers the main guy already has a strong friend group, they could have done literally any other activity and had basically the same fun time.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

i think re:rise has some standout moments for gundam as a whole and it does become a genuinely good show a bit in but the beginning is so generic and slowly paced that i commited the unthinkable sin of watching the first 10 episodes at 1.5x speed and it felt genuinely natural. to the point that i would sometimes forget the show was sped up at all until the music was off or the subs vanished in a second, which i think really speaks of how engaging that whole section was.

after that point i stopped being an anime criminal because it was genuinely enjoyable but i know people who dropped it during the first few episodes and i dont blame them

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Re:Rise beginning isn't that bad or that slow and in fact it works when we get to the moment where it reveals it's full hand. It's just if you came to it from watching the first full build divers it obsoletely felt like it was going to be more of the same at the start

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

early rerise is nothing anybody browsing an anime forum hasn't already seen a dozen times in other videogame-themed (or inspired) adventure or battle manga series. it absolutely does pay off later but it also doesn't do anything really unique until then, IMO.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m not a huge rewatcher, but I’ve watched the penultimate episode of Re Rise multiple times. It’s easily one of my favorite episodes of television ever.

GimmickMan posted:

early rerise is nothing anybody browsing an anime forum hasn't already seen a dozen times in other videogame-themed (or inspired) adventure or battle manga series. it absolutely does pay off later but it also doesn't do anything really unique until then, IMO.

That’s why Re Rise is the secret best Gundam. Not only is it not talked about much in the fandom, the show itself hides how good it is from the viewer for a long loving time.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 15, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm not sure where I rank Re:Rise in terms of Gundams I like but it is the best at melding the strengths of kids anime with a story that feels like an actual Gundam story

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Cleretic posted:

It sorta fell into the same problem as Yu-Gi-Oh in that way, really.

Building Gunpla on motorcycles?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ojjeorago posted:

Building Gunpla on motorcycles?

Wasn't Mao introduced building a model while sitting in the cabin of a truck he hitched a ride in? Gunplay on motorbikes seems up his alley.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1703100881355620567?t=zsN2S8bw1PkbySpAylgMbA&s=19

When they said some Gundams had a face under the Samurai mask this isn't what I had in mind.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/DeltyThe73rd/status/1703100881355620567?t=zsN2S8bw1PkbySpAylgMbA&s=19

When they said some Gundams had a face under the Samurai mask this isn't what I had in mind.

I think I saw this Christmas special.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

This is what makes it unique OP. It's that instead of checkboxing arbitrary VRMMO anime checkboxes, the whole 'team bonding and learning to work with each other' bit serves to inform how the characters will process their individual traumas and the bonds built there explain how 4 people who have never met and don't really like each other grow to like each other and develop a life long friendship that helps each of them move past their individual traumas and hangups and reach a kind of self-actualization through Gunpla.

If what you're arguing is that the immense amount of cheap shovelware out there poisons the well... then sure. But uh... that's literally anime and media in general right there. Companies will run a concept into the ground if they think they might be the special one to restart the money printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I might rewatch Gundam 00 if nothing grabs me this fall season.