Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Blowing hundreds of billions of dollars to be losing territory basically every day since day 3 of the war? Wow Russia is WINNING!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

mllaneza posted:

It's one company of tanks and three companies of IFVs. A Russian armored company is three platoons of three, plus the company commander's track. Ukraine also uses this organization, and it's why the US is sending 31 Abrams, three companies plus the battalion CO's vehicle. US/NATO use a 14-vehicle company, 3 platoons of four, plus the company CO and XO in their own vehicles.

The BTG will also have some organic artillery and air defense as available. That's a fairly dense concentration of firepower, but they're brittle. A BMP-3 only carries 7 troopers, so a company is 63 rifles. The BTG as a whole only has 189 infantry, which you can run out of pretty quickly in an assault. They're good for one hard blow, and then they need rebuilding

(*iirc) It's also been reported for a while that their BTGs often aren't "full" - they're reformed into a "BTG" that doesn't have its usual paper strength in vehicles or men at arms. I don't know how widespread that is but I can't imagine it's been getting better.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
The counteroffensive is pushing through a point people were skeptics about them getting past a point they already got past ago if memory serves.

This thread has been on-point throughout with specifics and forecasts and predictions and such, but no one here should really know how effective a counteroffensive is going, especially if it’s really going well.

I would guess.

Modern day war is weird…

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

weg posted:

Has anyone said Tsarlink yet?
Thread title mods..?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Just spitballing here, can anyone imagine a viable out for Putin at this point, other than death of course.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

redshirt posted:

Just spitballing here, can anyone imagine a viable out for Putin at this point, other than death of course.

you want me to drive a nail into some wood but I'm not allowed to use anything like a hammer? c'mon

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

mllaneza posted:

It's one company of tanks and three companies of IFVs. A Russian armored company is three platoons of three, plus the company commander's track. Ukraine also uses this organization, and it's why the US is sending 31 Abrams, three companies plus the battalion CO's vehicle. US/NATO use a 14-vehicle company, 3 platoons of four, plus the company CO and XO in their own vehicles.

The BTG will also have some organic artillery and air defense as available. That's a fairly dense concentration of firepower, but they're brittle. A BMP-3 only carries 7 troopers, so a company is 63 rifles. The BTG as a whole only has 189 infantry, which you can run out of pretty quickly in an assault. They're good for one hard blow, and then they need rebuilding

Thanks! I have retained my knowledge of overall military structure of the US military from my time in it. But poo poo about tank structure, I just have no loving clue of. Thank you for also explaining this and what I'd call infantryman terms which is just telling me there's 63 rifles in a companyx3 for a BTG Which is like you said miniscule for a loving assault.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

redshirt posted:

Maybe PRC would take him :xd:

But realistically we’re going to get Death of Stalin 2

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

tiaz posted:

you want me to drive a nail into some wood but I'm not allowed to use anything like a hammer? c'mon

Again, "spitballing". Is there ANY out for Putin at this point other than victory or death?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redshirt posted:

Again, "spitballing". Is there ANY out for Putin at this point other than victory or death?

He could just leave Ukraine.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

He could just leave Ukraine.

Would he survive that move?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How do I start a conspiracy where Putin is hiding out on Pyongyang

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

spiritual bypass posted:

It sounds like this war is not only going badly for Russia, but will leave Russia defenseless for a good while in its aftermath

china is literally already renaming territories in the russian far east back to their chinese names

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

The counteroffensive is pushing through a point people were skeptics about them getting past a point they already got past ago if memory serves.

This thread has been on-point throughout with specifics and forecasts and predictions and such, but no one here should really know how effective a counteroffensive is going, especially if it’s really going well.

I would guess.

Modern day war is weird…

This thread is filled with people who are subject matter experts so I'm not surprised we are setting the bar for analysis and conversation compared to like, reddit or twitter

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Why aren't all the libertarians going and carving out new micronations in Russia's east or luscious center? Now's the time, fellas.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

sleepy gary posted:

Why aren't all the libertarians going and carving out new micronations in Russia's east or luscious center? Now's the time, fellas.

they already lost one town to the bears, do you think they're eager to try again?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

redshirt posted:

Would he survive that move?

Better odds than if he doesn't leave imo. Not like there's much internal opposition at the moment.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

redshirt posted:

Pay insane amounts of reparations; not promises to pay, but fork over gold and platinum and real assets like that to Ukraine and anyone killed individually’ s families AND apologize to everyone AND resign AND fake his own death after all that maybe but I doubt it because he is a real piece of poo poo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

sleepy gary posted:

If one were to invade Russia in the winter...

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

HonorableTB posted:

china is literally already renaming territories in the russian far east back to their chinese names

This thread is filled with people who are subject matter experts so I'm not surprised we are setting the bar for analysis and conversation compared to like, reddit or twitter

I could not agree more

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

quote:

Note that this is for the "bolt a receiver to a building to see if it moves" use case, where you have hours or more to let the position settle. It could be that their equivalent of AGPS sucks, and it could be that the variance over shorter timespans is huge. I'll see if I can find something more relevant.

I’ve used GLONASS for work. It worked alright for keeping track of slow moving objects down to about 15’ accuracy most days. It wasn’t always dependable but served as a good supplement to the ole GPS network as part of GNSS.

I wouldn’t knock it for basic use cases.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HonorableTB posted:

Lol wait til you find out about GLONASS

Garmin
Loaner
Onboard,
No
Alternative
Sattelite
Suitable

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Doesn't Putin have like 7 mcmansions scattered about the countryside why not simply turn one of them into a giant armed compound with 100 rosguardia guys who don't care about overtime

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Blistex posted:

If I were Putin, I'd abandon all occupied territory and fall back to Crimea. Fortify the poo poo out of it, and put every free SAM along its coast, and hope that Western support wanes, and people start telling Ukraine to just forget about Crimea and sign something. Then declare victory and have a fatal poop related fall.
Putin annexed several oblasts last year into Russia proper. If he abandons them he is basically seceding Russian territory and that would be a bad look, to say the least.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Budzilla posted:

Putin annexed several oblasts last year into Russia proper. If he abandons them he is basically seceding Russian territory and that would be a bad look, to say the least.

"annexed"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Budzilla posted:

I was roleplaying a more reasonable Putin. There's no way they're holding on to those oblasts.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RDM posted:

I don't know why anyone thinks any western intelligence agency gives a poo poo about captured Russian gear. They got everything they needed by buying a couple dachas for people in the 90s and early 2000s.

This was a few pages back but Ukraine managed to find some completely pristine PENAIDS that I pretty much gurantee the US getting their hands on them was part and parcel of the arms deal. That kind of poo poo is the crown jewel that Russia threw away.

Not to mention things like the T-90 being dogshit and their "hypersonic" missile not being so hypersonic after all. The US intelligence branches in the end vastly overestimated Russia. Which to be fair, even Russia's own politicians vastly overestimated their own military.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 10, 2023

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

I doubted the counteroffensive was going poorly, UA was way too quick to spread that narrative - there were saying things weren't going well from the start, really before they could have even known. Also a suspicious lack of gloating from RU, who would cherish any opportunity to celebrate a victory to demoralize western support and make recruiting easier. And you can't trust anything from either side anyway.

I think we're gonna get some good news this year.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was a few pages back but Ukraine managed to find some completely pristine PENAIDS that I pretty much gurantee the US getting their hands on them was part and parcel of the arms deal. That kind of poo poo is the crown jewel that Russia threw away.

Not to mention things like the T-90 being dogshit and their "hypersonic" missile not being so hypersonic after all. The US intelligence branches in the end vastly overestimated Russia. Which to be fair, even Russia's own politicians vastly overestimated their own military.

Yeah, the PENAIDS find is still paying for arms deliveries to Ukraine. That's insanely valuable intel.

Oh, their hypersonic stuff is hypersonic, it's just that Patriot can handle it at an absurdly high interception rate.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

vaginite posted:

I doubted the counteroffensive was going poorly, UA was way too quick to spread that narrative - there were saying things weren't going well from the start, really before they could have even known. Also a suspicious lack of gloating from RU, who would cherish any opportunity to celebrate a victory to demoralize western support and make recruiting easier. And you can't trust anything from either side anyway.

I think we're gonna get some good news this year.

Dunno about that - I think there was an initial attempt at a flashy dramatic advance, and I think there's a fair amount of western politicians who were expecting that part to succeed who got spooked when it failed. To Russia's credit they did a good job of building up fortifications and minefields that are difficult to crack. Unfortunately for Russia you have a ton of NATO militaries that have war gamed this type of poo poo out and who were happy to help shift Ukraine into an attrition based campaign that is now paying off. Meanwhile their Russian counterparts have taken the rubles meant for those war games and bought gold toilets and dachas.

Overall time is not on Russia's side here because NATO is slowly ramping up the level of equipment they're willing to give Ukraine, and meanwhile Russia is burning through their poo poo from the 80's and is now begging North Korea and Iran for increasingly worse garbage. For comparison's sake Russia's GDP is about 13 times lower than the US and is lower than Germany, the UK, France, Italy, and Canada, and is just a bit ahead of Australia, Spain, and the Netherlands. The combined forces of NATO and friends can easily drip equipment and funds into Ukraine at a rate much higher rate than Russia can replace.

I feel bad for the Russian citizens that will get called up in this and the subsequent drafts, as their equipment is going to get shittier and shittier just as they're running off to face better and better equipped Ukrainians.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Today I had a haircut done by a very nice Ukrainian woman. We talked quite a bit about Ukraine and she talked about how much she misses it. She left in 2016. Our conversation was a lot about geography and where I wanted to travel post war. The lady was astounded at my level of geographical knowledge of the country. She was from Kharkiv, so family there.

She mentioned her family fleeing from Kharkiv to Kyiv then getting a ride with someone to Poland.

For a second there I thought about the idea that Mokotow could have driven this person's family to safety in the early days. And that would be a very very strange concept.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Thanks! I have retained my knowledge of overall military structure of the US military from my time in it. But poo poo about tank structure, I just have no loving clue of. Thank you for also explaining this and what I'd call infantryman terms which is just telling me there's 63 rifles in a companyx3 for a BTG Which is like you said miniscule for a loving assault.

Wait, English is your first language? Could have fooled me.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Dunno about that - I think there was an initial attempt at a flashy dramatic advance, and I think there's a fair amount of western politicians who were expecting that part to succeed who got spooked when it failed. To Russia's credit they did a good job of building up fortifications and minefields that are difficult to crack. Unfortunately for Russia you have a ton of NATO militaries that have war gamed this type of poo poo out and who were happy to help shift Ukraine into an attrition based campaign that is now paying off. Meanwhile their Russian counterparts have taken the rubles meant for those war games and bought gold toilets and dachas.

Overall time is not on Russia's side here because NATO is slowly ramping up the level of equipment they're willing to give Ukraine, and meanwhile Russia is burning through their poo poo from the 80's and is now begging North Korea and Iran for increasingly worse garbage. For comparison's sake Russia's GDP is about 13 times lower than the US and is lower than Germany, the UK, France, Italy, and Canada, and is just a bit ahead of Australia, Spain, and the Netherlands. The combined forces of NATO and friends can easily drip equipment and funds into Ukraine at a rate much higher rate than Russia can replace.

I feel bad for the Russian citizens that will get called up in this and the subsequent drafts, as their equipment is going to get shittier and shittier just as they're running off to face better and better equipped Ukrainians.

Yeah that makes sense, was confused about how the narrative shifted and incorrectly assumed it was some kind of stratagem

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Putin will still be there, and is, until he stops believing there is something to be gained.

The Russians are not entirely stupid. The Kherson retreat was a smart move - not that they had any choice, but it was a fairly well performed as such thing go. But they switched strategic gears fairly quickly and now have a not entirely tenuous hold on %17 of Ukrainian territory.

I don't know if the Russia-verse on all the media reflects Russian thinking, but it likely does. Russia believes that the Ukrainian losses are so high that they'll culminate at some point. I don't believe that's true, but I believe Russia believes this (or hopes).

Ukraine's offense has not yet been dramatic enough to change that thinking. In August, they recaptured only about 352 kilometers. "Only" is a relative term and shouldn't denigrate the achievement. But it's not particularly dramatic.

Unless Ukraine can recapture at a more impressive (to Russia) rate, Russia will continue to believe that they can do toe to toe attrition until Ukraine is forced to come to the table. If it's only 352 kilometers a month, Russia figures just about anything can happen over a long time frame they think they can afford and they won't give up.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

BrassRoots posted:

Wait, English is your first language? Could have fooled me.

haha get his rear end

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

the popes toes posted:

Putin will still be there, and is, until he stops believing there is something to be gained.

The Russians are not entirely stupid. The Kherson retreat was a smart move - not that they had any choice, but it was a fairly well performed as such thing go. But they switched strategic gears fairly quickly and now have a not entirely tenuous hold on %17 of Ukrainian territory.

I don't know if the Russia-verse on all the media reflects Russian thinking, but it likely does. Russia believes that the Ukrainian losses are so high that they'll culminate at some point. I don't believe that's true, but I believe Russia believes this (or hopes).

Ukraine's offense has not yet been dramatic enough to change that thinking. In August, they recaptured only about 352 kilometers. "Only" is a relative term and shouldn't denigrate the achievement. But it's not particularly dramatic.

Unless Ukraine can recapture at a more impressive (to Russia) rate, Russia will continue to believe that they can do toe to toe attrition until Ukraine is forced to come to the table. If it's only 352 kilometers a month, Russia figures just about anything can happen over a long time frame they think they can afford and they won't give up.

That might speed up a wee bit if Ukraine breaks through the defense lines and starts attacking Russian positions from behind.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine should conduct an amphibious invasion of Vladivostok

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

No, but there wasn't an out for Putin even before the invasion. IIRC he enacted a bunch of legal poo poo a few years back that would potentially allow him to retire while still maintaining some legal power, but I'm guessing the inner reality of Russia showed that was never going to happen.

One way or another, it was always a one-way trip for Poot Poot when he took office in 2000.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukraine should conduct an amphibious invasion of Vladivostok

Is the opposite of a Tankie a Clancy?

Cuz while I sympathize with Ukraine and want them to strike back in some fashion this somehow seems a bit much. Maybe it is reasonable though, that Vladimir Putin fellow is quite the piece of poo poo.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, the PENAIDS find is still paying for arms deliveries to Ukraine. That's insanely valuable intel.

Oh, their hypersonic stuff is hypersonic, it's just that Patriot can handle it at an absurdly high interception rate.

Kinzhal is technically capable of traveling at hypersonic speeds, but that's a common feature of long range ballistic missiles and not particularly new or noteworthy. The big selling point of a true "hypersonic missile" is the supposed to be the ability to maneuver at hypersonic speeds, not just accelerate through a ballistic arc. Kinzhal categorically can't, which is why Patriot racked up so many interceptions--moving slightly faster doesn't help that much when you're still following a completely predictable flight path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Is the opposite of a Tankie a Clancy?

Cuz while I sympathize with Ukraine and want them to strike back in some fashion this somehow seems a bit much. Maybe it is reasonable though, that Vladimir Putin fellow is quite the piece of poo poo.

Listen, step 1 is to return Königsberg. Once the King's Mountain is restored to service everything else will fall into place.