Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Zimmerman telegram but it’s Ukraine offering China traditional lands back

On the telegram app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

BrassRoots posted:

Wait, English is your first language? Could have fooled me.

gigolo writes like someone accustomed to working in a second language the majority of their time when they are on the clock

Afakasi
Jul 9, 2009

redshirt posted:

Just spitballing here, can anyone imagine a viable out for Putin at this point, other than death of course.

Russia accidentally nukes itself.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

putin one out into the toilet

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Afakasi posted:

Russia accidentally nukes itself.

A country with a natural character that's suicidal on a good day, and Chekhov's gun nuke

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Not to mention things like the T-90 being dogshit

I thought that Ukrainian testimony pointed towards the T-90's actually being a pretty big deal on the battlefield that could take way more abuse than it's predecessors, and the FCS being much better than the T-72s and T80's? But yeah iirc those interviews were from before the Leopards had really started being fielded, I can see DU or tungsten darts from a superior FCS completely wiping a T-90 where a T-72 would struggle.

E:

BrassRoots posted:

WCG clearly uses voice to text typing, and talks in a very stream of conscience type, chatting style rather than a typed out and more considered post. He's got his finger on the pulse of a lot of chatgroups with literal Frontline sources and usually brings interesting news to the thread a few days before it hits the news so it's not that bad

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 10, 2023

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

haha get his rear end

Hide yo balls. I'm poppin off nukes here.

E: yeah I like the giggolo. Just posting. Nothing to see here.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 10, 2023

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Putin is gonna be found dead on the shitter elvis style, and during the autopsy they will will find his entire body cavity is packed with horse cum.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Drone_Fragger posted:

Putin is gonna be found dead on the shitter elvis style, and during the autopsy they will will find his entire body cavity is packed with horse cum.

Well it's one of the most valuable substances on earth if you get the right lineage going on and he probably knows people in stud services, top men

Where do you keep your riches comrade smart guy?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Blowing hundreds of billions of dollars to be losing territory basically every day since day 3 of the war? Wow Russia is WINNING!!!

I must apologize for Wimp Lo. He is an idiot. We trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1700583259518709905
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1700583259518709905.html

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Trapped in the trenches - Russia appears to be covertly recruiting Cuban men for the war with Ukraine. Like the two teens in this story, many of them cannot read their contracts.

spineless Lula

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It should basically get you kicked out of the ICC to refuse to arrest a war criminal like Putin

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BrassRoots posted:

Dictation software.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

redshirt posted:

Just spitballing here, can anyone imagine a viable out for Putin at this point, other than death of course.

Put on a fake moustache and flee to south america.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I always figured the most obvious out would be simply to fake a loss in the fake elections in the annexed areas, say "well they want to be independent and not part of Russia," and then just bounce.

continue doing low-level insurgency there like 2014-2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I know perfectly well why Lula is inherently sceptical of any party the US supports, but drat if he isn't on the wrong side of history today.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I know perfectly well why Lula is inherently sceptical of any party the US supports, but drat if he isn't on the wrong side of history today.

january 8th 2023 probably is a lot fresher on his mind frankly

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

january 8th 2023 probably is a lot fresher on his mind frankly

An attack by folks that the current American administration hates?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
bannon was apparently heavily involved in convincing bolsonaro that lula stole the election and that he should try to overturn the election

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SRQ posted:

I always figured the most obvious out would be simply to fake a loss in the fake elections in the annexed areas, say "well they want to be independent and not part of Russia," and then just bounce.

continue doing low-level insurgency there like 2014-2022

That seems like it would both undermine the initial invasion, and embolden other regions of Russia to actually try and use democracy to get more freedom. A big part of the strength and powerbase of authoritarians like Putin is the fact they can keep up just enough of a sham veneer of democracy while their backers know they actually have complete control.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Good thing then that Lula is on the other prong of the horseshoe

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Mederlock posted:

I thought that Ukrainian testimony pointed towards the T-90's actually being a pretty big deal on the battlefield that could take way more abuse than it's predecessors, and the FCS being much better than the T-72s and T80's?
Not a pretty big deal and its not any better at taking abuse than any other T72 equipped with ERA.

That is because its hull, tracks, turret, suspension, etc. are all still largely the same, or outright identical, to a T72.

The motor had some improvements in terms of power (but not reliability) but the gear box is largely the same (somewhat more durable though) as the T72's so its a little faster going forward and some turns but still kinda blah and slow at backing up which matters a whole lot for survivability. The Thales FCS/sights are probably the biggest improvement and are generally said to be somewhere between the M1A1 and M1A2's in terms of effectiveness.

The gun and the aiming/stabilizing hydraulics are the same as a T72 but they did upgrade the AFPDS ammo it can fire so that is where some of the firepower claims are true but still over hyped massively in terms of battlefield effect. Note that a regular T72 can fire the same ammo as well.

Some of them come with a thermal blanket system that covers the whole tank which can actually work pretty well at making them invisible to thermal optics but they're rarely seen in use for some reason. The Ukrainians are lucky the Russians can't seem to produce many of them and only a few seem to be in the field.

edit: ammo storage and the auto loader is also the same too so they blow up about the same as any other T72. There is supposed to be a better fire suppression system but rumors are it doesn't work as well as claimed. Not that it matters much when you're practically sitting on the ammo and propellant inside of it. That and some of the fuel tanks also double as ammo storage. Its not supposed to matter because diesel is harder to ignite than gas but when a armor piercing round or a HEAT round goes through the plate reality is they burn or blow up all too well.

Basically the T90M is a mild-moderate upgrade to a T72 and anything else is just hype for sales. They were originally going to pitch it as a upgraded T72 (google T-72BU which was the original branding for it) but after watching hundreds of T72's get smoked by Bradley's and everything else in 90's during Gulf War I they went on a rebranding campaign to hype it for foreign sales. Which is where all the "breakthrough" hype and T90M rebranding came from.

Its not at all a bad tank but its been hyped to the moon (much as with the Su75, S400, Armata, etc) and that hype is nonsense.

The biggest problem the Ukrainians have with Russian tanks in general is A) there are still huge numbers of them and B) they're usually backed up artillery fire which makes attacking them dangerous.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 10, 2023

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This was a few pages back but Ukraine managed to find some completely pristine PENAIDS that I pretty much gurantee the US getting their hands on them was part and parcel of the arms deal. That kind of poo poo is the crown jewel that Russia threw away.

How TF are there a million jokes about "penetration cum blast" but I had never heard about Russians developing PENIS AIDS as a weapon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i made one

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

imagine if a military power started a fake uprising by providing weapons, men and funding, only to later fully invade when you don't get everything you want.

I'm glad Brazil and anti-imperialistists have learned from history and would oppose it, not side with the invader and cry about why the target doesn't just unconditionally surrender like they're supposed to

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We should probably liberate the Amazon region at least, you know, to protect the trees.

quote:

On Saturday, September 9, soldiers from the Romanian Naval Forces, deployed for research missions in the area of ​​Plauru, Tulcea county, carried out search activities in the area of ​​responsibility, as a result of receiving information from the local authorities, sent by the command of the Tulcea garrison , regarding the possible existence of drone elements approximately 2.5 kilometers southeast of Plauru.

Following the execution of the research in the field, fragments of a drone similar to those used by the Russian army were discovered. The area has been secured by the military, and the discovered elements will be picked up for analysis and technical expertise.

The Ministry of National Defense strongly condemns the attacks carried out by the Russian Federation against some objectives and elements of civil infrastructure in the Ukrainian ports on the Danube. These attacks are unjustified and in serious contradiction with the rules of international humanitarian law, being war crimes.

MApN forces remain on alert and will continue investigations in the areas in the vicinity of the locations where Russian forces are carrying out attacks on the Ukrainian port infrastructure on the Danube. Also, MApN remains in permanent contact with allied structures, which are informed in real time.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

poor waif posted:

imagine if a military power started a fake uprising by providing weapons, men and funding, only to later fully invade when you don't get everything you want.

I'm glad Brazil and anti-imperialistists have learned from history and would oppose it, not side with the invader and cry about why the target doesn't just unconditionally surrender like they're supposed to

Let's be real; their definition of anti-imperialism only amounts to America and Europe bad. If Puccia and China do it, then it's good. I wish they would all gently caress off to Puccia, China, and North Korea instead of staying in their own countries to be problems there.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Nah, that is literally "US and west bad, Russia and China good" politics and Lula should be condemned for being a loyal little helper to the Putin's regime.

You don't have to like west, NATO, or US to hate Putin for his crimes against humanity and his attempted imperialistic land grab in Ukraine. And Lula is doing nothing of sorts, instead he says again and again that Putin gets a free pass in his mind, and Brazil is glad to work more trade deals with Russians.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Nah, that is literally "US and west bad, Russia and China good" politics and Lula should be condemned for being a loyal little helper to the Putin's regime.

You don't have to like west, NATO, or US to hate Putin for his crimes against humanity and his attempted imperialistic land grab in Ukraine. And Lula is doing nothing of sorts, instead he says again and again that Putin gets a free pass in his mind, and Brazil is glad to work more trade deals with Russians.

Hell, Glenn Greenwald was angry at Biden for supporting Lula. Ironically one of the few times the United States has opposed a right-wing coup in Latin America.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Puccia made a new discovery. Cope hangars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can lay so many tires on those cables

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Brazil is a great example of what multipolar means. Everyone bands together to support their sovereign right to devour the weak.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I wonder if there's a solution to this new development.

:hmmyes:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

RU Twitter is blowing up about rumors that Kadyrov killed his minister of healthcare. Buried alive they say, due to someone being poisoned

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

have you considered that countries can do things for reasons other than as a reaction to something the US did at some point in history

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

zone posted:

Puccia made a new discovery. Cope hangars.

Ironically, it's made of Coat Hangers.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Is there some reason airplanes are sitting out in the open like that, instead of under at least a simple roof or something?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Is there some reason airplanes are sitting out in the open like that, instead of under at least a simple roof or something?

Russian does have hardened hangers like any other military power. Most of them are in murmansk hiding the nuclear strat bombers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

as long as you have a reason to not arrest a war criminal, I guess it's ok