Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

And moving poo poo between parry members loving sucks.

Before release, one of the game’s producers tweeted the best approach was to pick a fixed party and ignore everyone else. I started trying to use everyone, but once I started following that advice I liked the game much more. As you say the inventory management is horrible, and so is constantly adjusting party composition to make sure you can fight properly.

Second play through and I’ve completely ignored Laezel and Gale (who leaves in act 3 if you do this). I staked Astarion, to see what would happen he dies. I still have those 2 druids too, but they can like, talk to trees or whatever while Wyll, Karlach, Shadow and me save the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, trying to play BG3 as a completionist would be a nightmare. The game is just not designed to facilitate that. Just use the people you like and ignore everyone else outside of forced interactions.

Also, you can equip items from another character's inventory by clicking on the equipment slot. It will show a pop-up with items for that slot across your entire party's inventories.

And you can control+click to select more than one item to move at once.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rockman Reserve posted:

freelancer mode in hitman seems really loving cool but it adds so much weird new poo poo in scenarios that are ridiculously high-stakes that it's hard to actually figure some of it out before accidentally losing a campaign. i wish there was some kind of training mode where you could choose a level and type of scenario with a few complications if you feel spicy and run through it without tying it into the reward system

Doesn't Hitman have user created "Contracts" where you make scenarios like Kill person X using weapon (or weapon type) Y while wearing costume Z. Don't get spotted. Don't knock out anyone who is not the target. Final Destination. Slappers only.?

Couldn't you use that to make up a similar scenario like a freelancer stage? Yes, there are freelancer specific mechanics like find the npc with these attributes, and don't kill the wrong one, but for learning layouts of people and weapons, it should be useful

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Yea, trying to play BG3 as a completionist would be a nightmare. The game is just not designed to facilitate that. Just use the people you like and ignore everyone else outside of forced interactions.

Also, you can equip items from another character's inventory by clicking on the equipment slot. It will show a pop-up with items for that slot across your entire party's inventories.

Even with the QOL things like ctrl-click, shift-click and all that it's still a lot of time trying to move all the stuff over, since party members can't have items on their hotbars unless they're in their inventories. I started having all the weapons + jewelry + boots/gloves/hat on Tav since they're all pretty light, and click on the equipment slots to equip stuff since it'll grab stuff out of bags. It still won't grab stuff that you've forgotten other people have on their inventories who aren't in the party itself, or grab stuff out of the camp chest, which is where most of the heavy armor goes so it isn't taking up carry weight.

The inventory also doesn't like it if you have too many things on one person, or try to shift-click-drag too much stuff at once, so trying to change equipment around can sometimes take 4 or 5 tries before it actually swaps the items. I thought it was a RAM problem or a hard drive problem at first, but I've got BG3 running exclusive fullscreen, no other programs open, with 16GB of RAM and an SSD, so :shrug: inventory management is a just a little buggy

"Just use the people you like" is good advice, but the problem with the game is that they're all pretty interesting and fun to be around. I like 'em all! I wanna see where their stories go with their reactions/dialogue about it. I'd feel stupid to (Act 3/individual party member spoilers) Confront Cazador without Astarion, enter the House of Shar where Shadowheart lost her memories without her, or knock over the Foundry containing the same material component's as Karlach's hell engine without her, but I also really like Jaheira and Minsc talking with each other/the Guild/other people in the city as we wander around. I could just say "well all these people can shove off and I'll just do Astarion/Shadowheart/Karlach this time around" but I think I've only got one more full playthrough in me to do a Durge run, and I wanna pick some opposite options for characters and I don't know if Jaheira/Halsin/Minsc/Galewould necessarily jive with that. The last one especially, from what I understand, probably won't make it out of Act I.

E: on the opposite side of this problem, I installed Starfield last night and am finding it extremely difficult to give a poo poo about anything that's happening. I'm gonna give it a try in a couple of days when I'm not hot-on-the-heels of BG3, but the environments and UI through the intro were extremely gray and boring, and I've been spoiled on how good the voice-acting is in BG3 in general that a Bethesda game just does not hold a candle :sigh:

bawk has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Sep 9, 2023

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

For as middling as the Outer W

This is the point where I was about to have some very strong words for you.

quote:

orlds

And this is the point where I didn't.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

More like Outer L

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

still on BG3: the cutscene for Gale blowing up at the end of Act II sucks so much I thought it had failed to load the explosion effect for Moonrise Towers, but no, there just isn't one. even just having the camera fade to white on Elminster's horrified face as the distant roar increases would've been better than what we actually got

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Schubalts posted:

You can use items directly from other party members' inventories, can have every inventory open at once with tab, can send stuff directly to the camp's chest, and can have a container to store all your potions or scrolls in, which can then be placed on that character's quickbar. I can't call it flawless, but I also can't think of any game in the genre that does it better.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whenever I need a character to drink a potion I just hit tab and have them use it from my MC's inventory because it's way faster than trying to track them down on your own toolbar. There probably needs to better priority sorting so that "actually useful throwable object" shows up before "weird looking seashell I found on the ground" on the item list.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

unpopular opinion, but imo, the "true" ending in sea of stars ends up cheapening the whole experience.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Baulder’s Gate 3 is a lot of fun, with great characters and gameplay and everything.

But it just did the thing where you have a dramatic confrontation with the bad guy in his lair, and start kicking his rear end in the boss battle, and then when he gets down to half health it triggers a cutscene where everyone in the party stands at a respectful distance and does nothing while he slowly escapes. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Starfield has a truly staggering number of arachnoid enemies. It's... kind of pathetic? There is such a wide variety of xenobiology but no small number of the enemy types are just a spider, but there's a plant on its head/butt. They've got fangs, and eyes, and chitin and all the usual movement and noise. One type even does the Skyrim spider animations.

Why, is my question? Why base your space game enemies so closely on things that exist in our reality?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Sep 10, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

Why, is my question?

CJacobs posted:

One type even does the Skyrim spider animations.

There's your answer.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

Whenever I need a character to drink a potion I just hit tab and have them use it from my MC's inventory

WHAT

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In case you didn't already know this, all consumables will be used by the character you are presently controlling, regardless of whoever's inventory holds it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Having used the chargen in Starfield a few times now, it's not just bad as it is sometimes downright baffling. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by really good chargens in other games, but some of these choices make no drat sense. It's lacking some pretty common features like rotation of the eyes and eyebrows, eyelids up/down, default shape of the mouth (smile/frown), and so on. That's the kind of stuff you can even find in some random f2p or indie games.

Yet at the same time it throws a bunch of seemingly pointless options at you as well. You can blend between the default shapes of various presets which does... something, but is pretty unintuitive when you're trying to get a particular result. You got a whole bunch of presets for forehead, cheeks and ears where a few basic sliders would've sufficed. Perhaps worst of all, any color selection is just a horizontal slider with numbered options, instead of something like a RGB picker or even a simple dropdown list with labeled options.

If it was just a matter of missing options it'd be one thing, but they evidently put a fairly substantial amount of effort into this thing while completely neglecting the basics. :psyduck:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Breetai posted:

My 43 year old rear end liking Boomer shooters, soulslikes and fighting games may be an aberration I guess. Here's to my reflexes and muscle memory crumbling into dust at some indeterminate point in the future. 😅

I always liked the slower shooters even way back when. I'd take Counter-Strike and Battlefield over Quake and UT any day.

Even when it comes to original Doom I treat it much more like a tactical shooter, using cover and lines of fire, rather than the run and gun game people seem to view it as being.

And soulslikes have gotten worse since DS1 because they got faster.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phigs posted:

I always liked the slower shooters even way back when. I'd take Counter-Strike and Battlefield over Quake and UT any day.

Even when it comes to original Doom I treat it much more like a tactical shooter, using cover and lines of fire, rather than the run and gun game people seem to view it as being.

And soulslikes have gotten worse since DS1 because they got faster.

Doom is very arcade-y in that respect. Depending upon the level layout, enemies and weapons you’ve got, staying behind cover and taking careful shots is the only way to progress. Sometimes that will get you destroyed and you have to run for it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Perestroika posted:

but they evidently put a fairly substantial amount of effort into this thing while completely neglecting the basics. :psyduck:

Ah yes, Bethesda.

Also I've played it more, and christ is some of the mission design just doesn't respect your time at all.
I'm doing a questline where I go undercover in a faction... And it regularly forces me to stop everything I'm doing there, hop over to a different system, just to have a quick conversation with a handler, and then I hop back to be able to continue it.
Because they couldn't just have a person locally to work as an intermediary, or have any kind of long distance communication.
(That would be hard, y'know? Knowing Bethesda they'd probably just spawn in the npc into the region, slap on a 'hologram effect'. And there'd be 50:50 odds he'd forget his logic and start shooting at pirates instead of talk to me.)

But also the ""temples"" are dogshit.
In Skyrim the dragon shouts would often be accompanied by a boss, and almost always be at the end of some dungeon or similar.
In Starfield you go talk to a fake space russian, fast travel to the temple, walk a bit, and get another power you'll immediately forget about.
Zero exploration or anything involved, feels massively underwhelming.

Someone else in the thread mentioned this: But exploration in TES or Fallout both feel more natural and like actual exploration, since you'll often get distracted and pulled away from whatever you were doing to go out on another adventure.
In Starfield most of it is just selecting a thing on a list, fast travelling there, and then completing it.

Also the game stutters every time you switch weapons if you have a lot in your inventory, or the weapon has a lot of perks. (Dunno if that has gotten patched or what.)
Entirely possible that the rear end-low encumberance limit is because the game runs slower the more you have in the inventory.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Playing Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga and I applaud it for being one of the best tactics games I've ever played. That said using a controller on the tactical map is unnecessarily fiddly because it's frustratingly imprecise; it's very easy to overshoot the square you were aiming for because the cursor doesn't move a consistent number of squares when you tap a direction. Usually it's one square a tap, but about 1/4 of the time it's two, and it's just enough to bug the hell out of me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Biomutant is an alright game, but I sure wish the narrator would shut the gently caress up. He just interjects constantly, and often times it's utter nonsense. Like, you'll just be heading from point A to B and suddenly he'll say, "This is important!"

Or "You're on an adventure!"

And the dialogue is so weird. Nothing lines up. I'll have the option to say something like, "You must know more than you're telling me," but then the response is something bizarre like "Regards you and wishes you well." What?

When I get out of my mech he sometimes says something relevant like, "It's on your feet for now!" but sometimes he says "You'd better get back, quick!" which makes me think... I need to get back, quick? But no, it's just more Random Things The Narrator Constantly Says

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm playing Sea of Stars and boy oh boy these random battles take forever and are not very fun. One of my team members has poison powers but doesn't actually poison anything. It just hits for weak damage. Nobody has enough MP to do anything but get one magic hit off and then spend the rest of the fight trying to regain it.

I've been playing with the same four characters for what feels like 30 hours despite at least 10 cool side characters floating around who just do nothing. I have two party slots left WHERE ARE YOU.

Also each enemy has a special move you can break to cancel the move by hitting between two and six weak points. The problem is that the party compositions I have can't hit them all with any combos of their abilities before the enemies act.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The game is beautiful as hell though, but the soundtrack kinda sucks. Too many synth pan pipes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking off annoying narration, I'm doing endgame stuff in Midnight Suns to finish off the achievements and it's absurd that Caretaker explains every objective to you, including zooming in on it and taking your control away for a few seconds. Yes thanks, I've dealt with a few dozen Nest Mothers, you don't need to explain them again while I try to grind out these last few friendships.
Apparently you can turn the tutorials off, but only at the start of a game, so it's essentially a NG+ feature

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
Something I've noticed lately that really annoys me across multiple games and genres: attacks or abilities missing. I don't understand why every attack needs to have a chance to have some crazy unpredictable variance. And when they do, I don't understand why the probability always seems to be set so high, especially in older games. It's really egregious in action RPGs where your attacks can naturally miss because you just didn't line it up right.

For example, in Secret of Evermore your weapons do pitiful damage unless you hold the attack button to charge them up for quite a while. With the way enemies sporadically move, when you finally let it fly, there's a good chance the enemy will have moved and the spear you just chucked won't hit them. Ok, fine. But when you do line it up right there's another (and annoyingly high) chance you'll just see "Miss" appear above the enemy's head instead of the glorious red damage numbers. Why? It's just really annoying and slows down the pace of battle. Every third battle turns into "oops I missed, oops I missed, oops I missed, AHA GOT HIM -- oh bullshit."

The NES Fire Emblem games would be completely unplayable without save states. How am I supposed to plan in a tactics game when simply attacking an enemy can have wildly different outcomes from "I crit, the enemy misses, I crit again" to "I miss, the enemy crits, I miss again"? These aren't small chances that keep you on your toes either, the variance is insanely high and the games don't seem to be balanced to allow for it. Fire Emblem Gaiden is really bad in this regard, I swear every other attack misses, and certain parts are just ridiculous without scumming save states. I've been playing with my own rules - save state before each battle, reload if there's any crit or miss by anybody - and it's so much more enjoyable.

Final Fantasy Tactics I enjoyed quite a bit but was extremely annoyed several times I had to redo entire 45min+ battles because my 70-80% chance to revive someone keeps missing. Oh neat, I got screwed, the guy still isn't alive, and I wasted that character's turn. There's also a ton of abilities that just seem useless because they always have like 30% chance to hit -- I'm not going to waste four turns trying to get "Break Shield" to work, thanks.

Even the board game Gloomhaven has that stupid yellow card where your attack is completely nullified. I put those and the 2x's straight into the dead card pile.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda feels like a decent chunk of games struggled with the whole idea of translating conventional JRPG mechanics to action ones, like as an example of something that sucks in a lot of them: why is MP rationing a thing? More and more games do the smart thing of just making it so your MP or MP analogue is a cooldown meter that functions more like a stamina bar of some kind instead of something that only came back at save points, but it took a while for devs to realize that not letting the player use their super cool sword move (or fire/water balls in Kingdom Hearts) every fight is fine for turnbased combat, it just feels lame when you’re stuck with the three hit combo in an ARPG for a lot of the earlygame and your mages kinda just sit there after they run out of magic.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My brother lent me Elden Ring but I'm having trouble getting into it. It feels that the freeform aspect kind of hurts the pacing as in other souls-like games you had a more curated experience so you'd find all kinds of neat treasures that required exploring but due to the nature of the game the more limited exploration felt more precise. As it is I'm stuck on the first real boss with a dex-build character and a tiny knife that happens to have decent bleed, but because of how dangerous most of the enemies are it's hard to get points to upgrade stuff, and it's next to impossible to tell where anything is as there are a ton of ruins and things but some of them just aren't anything.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The thing about Elden Ring is that you can just leave. Go fight something else. The area to the south of Limgrave is easier than the castle, and there's a good weapon about halfway through that area.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The first “real” boss, if you’re talking about Margitt, is tuned to tell you to gently caress off and explore the rest of Limgrave, and maybe the region above it if you’re feeling spicy. and the region to the right if you wanna have a bad time. Elden Ring isnt really shy about help pop ups compared to every other non-Sekiro Soulsborne though, so they should really tell you as much after you inevitably get smoked by him; most open world games tend to have a “linear” period where your experience is somewhat curated but ER really will let you just go to 70% of the world map ten minutes after booting up.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm very bad at videogames, and I've managed to play ER for about 20 hours so far.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There's no way to tell if you're getting wrecked because you are meant to go somewhere else, or if you're getting wrecked because it's Dark Souls.

See also, everybody who bashed their head against the graveyard.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

There's no way to tell if you're getting wrecked because you are meant to go somewhere else, or if you're getting wrecked because it's Dark Souls.

See also, everybody who bashed their head against the graveyard.

Outside of like the final boss, there's always somewhere else to go in Elden Ring and it gives you a fast travel system from the jump to make that even easier. That's ER's main selling point.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

People have built up this huge mythos about Dark Souls being stupid impossible difficulty and it just...isn't

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got to the third act in BG3 and... you know, scale is impressive and all. But for as much as everyone wants to clown on Bethesda games for having capitals with a population of 20 people, that means there is at most 20 houses I can break into and rob and 20 NPCs to chat with. Me seeing 50 different enter-able buildings and hundreds of NPCs that you can talk to makes me go "Oh gently caress this"

And on the subject of NPCs, if the character only has a one or two line bit of throwaway dialogue, its completely fine to just have that dialogue appear above their head. You don't have to make the game lag for a second or two as it loads up the scene to show off the wicked cool mocap animation while they say their 2 line bit of dialogue.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

credburn posted:

Biomutant is an alright game, but I sure wish the narrator would shut the gently caress up. He just interjects constantly, and often times it's utter nonsense. Like, you'll just be heading from point A to B and suddenly he'll say, "This is important!"

Or "You're on an adventure!"

And the dialogue is so weird. Nothing lines up. I'll have the option to say something like, "You must know more than you're telling me," but then the response is something bizarre like "Regards you and wishes you well." What?

When I get out of my mech he sometimes says something relevant like, "It's on your feet for now!" but sometimes he says "You'd better get back, quick!" which makes me think... I need to get back, quick? But no, it's just more Random Things The Narrator Constantly Says

It's kind of amazing how badly the decision to have an overly chatty narrator dragged the game down for me.

The fact that he speaks for everyone means that everyone talks in the same voice,
And I don't just mean in the literal sense, but he pretty much never changes his tone or intensity.

So you meet someone who gives you a quest to pick up some random scrap and then later someone who wants you to kill a monster who ate one of their children. And he voices them in the exact same storyteller way.

This also is also part of the reason why only like 2 maybe 3 characters in the game are memorable.
They all have the same voice, they were all created using the generic cute monster creator and they all have the same adorable nonsense names.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll probably go back to ER at some point but it's the kind of game that I really have to be in the mood for. Thanks for the advice though on going elsewhere.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

People have built up this huge mythos about Dark Souls being stupid impossible difficulty and it just...isn't

Monster Hunter feels like a much harder game to learn how to play than Dark Souls ever did. Dark Souls just wants you to pay attention to it and assume there's a guy waiting to ambush you around every corner. I know it's not the most accurate description of the series but knights in armor fighting around in ruins and cathedrals while the sky's got a Mexico filter going on was never my type of game.

As someone who's not into the series, I've got one question. Is it ever annoying about enemy resistance as I imagine? I have this assumption that there're some situations like the graveyard in 1 where you wanna swap to crushing damage instead of slash or piercing. But since you need materials to upgrade weapons and the movesets between a mace a flail and a morningstar might all be different on top of them being like 7 hours away from being obtainable does it ever get annoying trying to keep multiple weapons at the same level?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pulsarcat posted:

It's kind of amazing how badly the decision to have an overly chatty narrator dragged the game down for me.

The fact that he speaks for everyone means that everyone talks in the same voice,
And I don't just mean in the literal sense, but he pretty much never changes his tone or intensity.

It's also bananas how sometimes in the same dialogue tree, he'll speak as a narrator ("He says you'd better get going...") but other times he speaks as the NPC ("I think you should be going now.") Also, is he supposed to be the grasshopper? Because sometimes the focus is on the grasshopper while the narrator is speaking. So is that the conceit? That actually everything I'm hearing is what the grasshopper is telling the protagonist?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kazanski posted:

Something I've noticed lately that really annoys me across multiple games and genres: attacks or abilities missing. I don't understand why every attack needs to have a chance to have some crazy unpredictable variance. And when they do, I don't understand why the probability always seems to be set so high, especially in older games. It's really egregious in action RPGs where your attacks can naturally miss because you just didn't line it up right.

This becomes perhaps even more annoying in action-y games where there's an element of skill to connecting in the first place, only to then have your hit nullified by RNG. That was a thing that really soured me on Kingdom Come back then. The game made so much noise about it supposedly detailed combat system, but at some point I realised that even if I did all the poo poo with feints and combos and whatnot, whether my attack actually connected or got parried was still fundamentally a question of an RNG behind the scenes. That just flattened all the depth in the system to just about nothing, and combat mostly just turned into waiting for the enemy to attack and fish for a particular unblockable counterattack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BioEnchanted posted:

My brother lent me Elden Ring but I'm having trouble getting into it. .

That's because it already existed and came out this decade