Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But it doesn’t have playable Agate and looking it up apparently it’s unlock requirement doesn’t even involve Agate.

Clearly that is the delinquent trio door. And yeah it is cool.

But Agate features heavily in the door and you have to fight him to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just mean that if I had to call one door an Agate door it'd be the one where you play as Agate and that's unlock requirement is "having Agate".

Like, y'know Richard's the boss of the door where you play as Anelace and i'd still call that an Anelace door and not a Richard door.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

Counter point: It sucks that Old Class 7 has to sit on the sidelines again during Mech battles. You can handwave it by saying that part of the timeskip was getting Soldat training; probably with Jusis and Elliot pulling strings

The mech battles are still only a relatively small part of the story though, and the Old Class 7 folks got 2 whole games to themselves. If anything the games are too eager to always try and let everyone participate, so it was nice to have things make more sense. They already let people like Elliot and Machias fight, lol.

I'm biased because I like Crow though and was happy that he and Rean got to be special partners who had their own connection separate from the broader "Class 7" group. I liked the non-True CS4 end where Rean, Crow, and Millum spend their last moments together after flying into the sky.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I do wonder if the "non-true" ending was originally the intended true ending but they either got terrible focus group reviews or panicked that they might face a backlash.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I liked the non-True CS4 end where Rean, Crow, and Millum spend their last moments together after flying into the sky.

RIP Team Whatever

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Terper posted:

https://twitter.com/_sikiha/status/1668763681457602560

They also pump out a game every year, so yeah they're working with a lot of reused assets and try to cut corners where they can. It's just the way it goes.

That's a lot of people to make pachinko machines, what is Konami doing with 9000 staff?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I do wonder if the "non-true" ending was originally the intended true ending but they either got terrible focus group reviews or panicked that they might face a backlash.

No chance that was ever going to be the actual ending

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

That's a lot of people to make pachinko machines, what is Konami doing with 9000 staff?

laundering money

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sir Tonk posted:

1000 for every Silent Hill game they currently have in production

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In Sky SC, a certain person once said "Humanity split into seven factions, each centered around a treasure, to pursue an ideal based on the powers of the given treasure." That seems to make some sense.

Was it ever said what the "ideals" were of (CS 3/4) the clan of Fire and the Clan of Earth? I don't recall anything along those lines getting mentioned. The closest that the games came was the people of fire and earth decided that they wanted to either destroy the other or prove their faction was superior, but what either faction stood for is unclear. We can only guess based on the characteristics which are associated with certain elements.

It's also a little unusual for people to refer to THE Great Collapse, when - as protagonists actually learn about it - seems to actually be a series of separate isolated incidents which all happened about the same time coincidentally despite each collapse being described entirely in terms of an internal problem, unrelated to any external pressures.

It's possible that there was one inciting incident, one collapse, which started a chain of dominoes by putting pressure on another society, which collapsed, putting pressure on other societies, but the games have yet to put forth that notion. Possibly that is because no one on the protagonist's side has a picture of the cause of any collapse which happened outside their homeland, but the omission seems notable.

EDITED because some people are failing to understand what I'm saying.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 10, 2023

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

finished Chapter 1 of Trails from Zero and im pissed at all this DP that I lost, after reading a proper walkthrough of it, hate that poo poo :argh:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

frajaq posted:

finished Chapter 1 of Trails from Zero and im pissed at all this DP that I lost, after reading a proper walkthrough of it, hate that poo poo :argh:

Just accept that you’ll lose an assload of DP/BP/whatever the school points are in Cold Steel unless you talk to literally every available NPC at every point their dialogue changes, and that if you do that you’ll still miss out on some unless you’re reading a guide every step of the way. Embrace being imperfect.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In Sky SC, a certain person once said "Humanity split into seven factions, each centered around a treasure, to pursue an ideal based on the powers of the given treasure." That seems to make some sense.

Was it ever said what the "ideals" were of (CS 3/4) the clan of Fire and the Clan of Earth? I don't recall anything along those lines getting mentioned. The closest that the games came was the people of fire and earth decided that they wanted to either destroy the other or prove their faction was superior, but what either faction stood for is unclear. We can only guess based on the characteristics which are associated with certain elements.

It's also a little unusual for people to refer to THE Great Collapse, when - as protagonists actually learn about it - seems to actually be a series of separate isolated incidents which all happened about the same time coincidentally. It's possible that there was one inciting incident, one collapse, which started a chain of dominoes by putting pressure on another society, which collapsed, putting pressure on other societies, but the games have yet to put forth that notion, possibly because no one on the protagonist's side has a picture of the cause of any collapse which happened outside their homeland.

Wouldn't that make it sort of like The Great Depression?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Great Kerfuffle

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So as of Chapter 4 in Kuro, Van's party consists of a 13yo, 15yo, 16yo, 19yo, 20yo, and 24yo (Van himself). And I think the remaining two (that I'm aware of, at least) might fit into the gap between 20 and 24 (Judith is almost certainly at least 20, and I'm guessing Elaine is 23). I think it creates a very distinct dynamic from other Trails games (maybe most similar to the party from the Sky games, but the Kuro group is more tight/coherent due to actually being coworkers, while the Sky group sort of comes and goes outside of the core duo).

I definitely like Risette more now. It's nice to have someone else in the party who is an adult, though still noticeably younger than Van. I also equip her casual wear costume because the maid suit is kind of silly and her casual wear (or whatever the costume with the white pants is called) is cool and stylish.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think that surprisingly, the average age of the Sky party is 20 (skewed mostly due to Zin). Cold Steel 1 is unsurprisingly the youngest skew.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wouldn't that make it sort of like The Great Depression?

It's that the domino effect isn't mentioned in these games, the incidents seem to be separate and isolated, with specific internal causes which are unrelated to any external factors. I'm only guessing at a possible domino effect, but the games themselves aren't speaking about one.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 10, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Great Fall of Rome

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So as of Chapter 4 in Kuro, Van's party consists of a 13yo, 15yo, 16yo, 19yo, 20yo, and 24yo (Van himself). And I think the remaining two (that I'm aware of, at least) might fit into the gap between 20 and 24 (Judith is almost certainly at least 20, and I'm guessing Elaine is 23). I think it creates a very distinct dynamic from other Trails games (maybe most similar to the party from the Sky games, but the Kuro group is more tight/coherent due to actually being coworkers, while the Sky group sort of comes and goes outside of the core duo).

I definitely like Risette more now. It's nice to have someone else in the party who is an adult, though still noticeably younger than Van. I also equip her casual wear costume because the maid suit is kind of silly and her casual wear (or whatever the costume with the white pants is called) is cool and stylish.

The last party member isn’t who you think it is. They’re also in their 60s.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

I think that surprisingly, the average age of the Sky party is 20 (skewed mostly due to Zin). Cold Steel 1 is unsurprisingly the youngest skew.

It's that the domino effect isn't mentioned in these games, the incidents seem to be separate and isolated, with specific internal causes which are unrelated to any external factors. I'm only guessing at a possible domino effect, but the games themselves aren't speaking about one.

My assumption is that the Septian Church, which we know was established shortly after The Great Collapse, has been teaching about it as a "singular" event. We also know there aren't any records from that period for whatever reason.

We know that Zemuria is not really big on history anyway, considering that Rean was able to become Thors' history teacher right after he graduated with no higher education.

Also, the more time that takes place after a string of events, the more people tend to think of those as a single event.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The last party member isn’t who you think it is. They’re also in their 60s.

Now I'm curious! Guess I'll find out soon-ish.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Made it to the Summer Festival in Cold Steel 3 and got to see some final bonding events. Does the platonic/romantic dialogue option remain a thing in Cold Steel IV? I thought that was a nice addition.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

unimportantguy posted:

Made it to the Summer Festival in Cold Steel 3 and got to see some final bonding events. Does the platonic/romantic dialogue option remain a thing in Cold Steel IV? I thought that was a nice addition.

Haha. gently caress no.

Basically you string along any girl you take on both bonding events. Except for the one without the hearts, so see all hers.

But if you don't do the first bonding event, the second bonding event is less romantic.

I'd still watch at least Laura's first and both of Alfin's, anyhow. You can always reload if you don't want to, but those and Machias's are some of the best in the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm also pretty sure that, outside of bonding events, CS4 repeatedly references the fact that all the Old Class 7 girls (minus Millium) are in love with Rean. So it's just canon that Fie/Laura/Emma/Alisa are all in love with Rean and mutually aware of it. It's pretty goofy.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Haha. gently caress no.

Basically you string along any girl you take on both bonding events. Except for the one without the hearts, so see all hers.
Dammit.

quote:

I'd still watch at least Laura's first and both of Alfin's, anyhow. You can always reload if you don't want to, but those and Machias's are some of the best in the series.

I have never passed up a Laura or Machias bonding event and never will.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Huh
I wonder if CS1 really is lowest.
Fie's older than Tio, Sara's older than Randy and what age do we even use for Millium.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

MythosDragon posted:

Huh
Fie's older than Tio, Sara's older than Randy and what age do we even use for Millium.

I feel like the massive average at ~17 cuts the ages hard. Even if isolated members outage them, averaging hard.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

unimportantguy posted:

Sort-of. Bonding Events will now specify whether they will advance a romance or not, and doing all the events is required to qualify someone for romance. So if you do NOT do those events which give you a Heart, it will lock you out of romance options, turning later bonding events into platonic events.

I watched all the events, but reloaded and skipped the ones I didn't care to do romance for (all except one character). I also skipped Emma's second event for still cutting too close to romance for my preference.

MythosDragon posted:

Huh

I wasn't counting Sara as a party member in CS 1, as she was temporary for just one dungeon, which left Crow as the oldest at 19. Millium I think is stated to be 13.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

This is probably a moot point in these games that cover an entire year and we only know like 4 birthdays. Pretty sure all of Class VII hits 18 by the end of CS2, no clue if Wazy or Rixia just turned 17 in Zero before becoming party members or if they turn 18 in Azure somehow.
It's also a crime to not include Sara.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure Chapter 3: i can’t believe Wald took the breakup with his boyfriend this hard. Turning to drugs and senseless violence after he beat up Dino for doing the same thing, smdh.

Jokes aside, “gang leader turns to magic cultist drugs after it turned out his rival was just sandbagging the entire time and emasculated him” isn’t something you see every day. And it does make the end of the prologue in Zero kinda funny, the mafia had this whole plan to get the gang leaders to fight to the death but that was always a one-sided match.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

This is wrong

Basically each girl gives their confession and then amends by saying “you don’t need to give a reply now, I can wait until you’re ready and understand if there’s someone else; but this is the end of the world and we don’t know what will happen in the end so I’d rather say my piece now than never say it.”

Rean never “strings them along” and at the point of no return to lock in a romance he’ll, admittedly, make an awkward phone call to gently let down each of the ladies you didn’t pick

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 11, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

Azure Chapter 3: i can’t believe Wald took the breakup with his boyfriend this hard. Turning to drugs and senseless violence after he beat up Dino for doing the same thing, smdh.

Jokes aside, “gang leader turns to magic cultist drugs after it turned out his rival was just sandbagging the entire time and emasculated him” isn’t something you see every day. And it does make the end of the prologue in Zero kinda funny, the mafia had this whole plan to get the gang leaders to fight to the death but that was always a one-sided match.

Keep an eye on this, it goes hard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh hey, now we have Saejima's (and I think also Takamura from Ippo, plus a ton of other characters) VA in Kuro.

Edit: Feri has been my MVP (which is something the game notifies you about at the end of each chapter) in every chapter where she's been in my party. She just has a bunch of useful buff/debuff skills.

BTW, what does Van's "gleaming blade" buff do?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 11, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure Chapter 3: it’s kinda interesting looking at the differences between Rixia and “Yin”; up until now you’d assume the aloof, formal curt persona is just kayfabe she keeps up so no one notices the super athletic not-Chinese girl who emigrated to Crossbell at the same time the legendary not-Chinese jaeger rolled in, and it probably is mostly that, but it gets more ambiguous when Rixia’s reaction to someone being stronger than her is to go “there is no one stronger than me, Yin, the greatest warrior to have ever lived”.

And like, I haven’t beaten the Chapter 3 chimera thing yet, but I know enough about Arianhod to know this is probably gonna be peak shonen, specifically Zoro vs Mihawk.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

Azure Chapter 3: it’s kinda interesting looking at the differences between Rixia and “Yin”; up until now you’d assume the aloof, formal curt persona is just kayfabe she keeps up so no one notices the super athletic not-Chinese girl who emigrated to Crossbell at the same time the legendary not-Chinese jaeger rolled in, and it probably is mostly that, but it gets more ambiguous when Rixia’s reaction to someone being stronger than her is to go “there is no one stronger than me, Yin, the greatest warrior to have ever lived”.

And like, I haven’t beaten the Chapter 3 chimera thing yet, but I know enough about Arianhod to know this is probably gonna be peak shonen, specifically Zoro vs Mihawk.

This is actually a very, very minor plot hole in that (Azure endgame spoilers) given that in order to maintain the illusion of being an immortal assassin, each retirement-approaching Yin would pass down as much of their knowledge as possible to their successor and given that (if you take Rixia to Stargazer Tower), it's revealed her father once faced off against Arianhrod and even managed to hold out long enough to break her mask, Rixia should have absolutely known about the Steel Maiden, even if it was as brief as "don't screw with someone who wields an oversized jousting lance as if it's a switchblade. In addition, given that Rixia considers herself to be nowhere near her father's level, it made no sense to for her to try and provoke Arianrhod, who was an adversary even her father presumably couldn't defeat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I like that we didnt even bother with a cutscene, Arianhod just beat everyone except Rixia down in five seconds, and it’s pretty obvious that yeah, she was just gonna get smoked in an extended battle.

Also I kinda wanna lol that Duvalie was the only stahlritter to get a portrait when they gave another CS3 character one, but Duvalie is just the best so I can’t really point out any missteps there.

Edit: literally laughing out loud at ”I was so convinced that Yin was a man” like goddamn how dense can you be, even if the original game didn’t have full voiceover there’s still the battle clips.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 11, 2023

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Last Celebration posted:

I like that we didnt even bother with a cutscene, Arianhod just beat everyone except Rixia down in five seconds, and it’s pretty obvious that yeah, she was just gonna get smoked in an extended battle.

Also I kinda wanna lol that Duvalie was the only stahlritter to get a portrait when they gave another CS3 character one, but Duvalie is just the best so I can’t really point out any missteps there.

Edit: literally laughing out loud at ”I was so convinced that Yin was a man” like goddamn how dense can you be, even if the original game didn’t have full voiceover there’s still the battle clips.

In a universe where both Wazy and Joshua could conceivably pass as women if they dressed up the right way, I can overlook that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I still haven't finished Reverie.

Last Celebration posted:

The portrait you mentioned was added by NISA, later. They didn't have one in the original game. I use a mod which adds more portraits to people in Zero and Azure.

Re: your last point - it's explicitly stated that Yin is using "special techniques" to "somehow" disguise the shape of her body and voice. Which means that you cannot see the outline of big honkers through the cloak to give it away.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 11, 2023

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

The portrait you mentioned was added by NISA, they didn't have one in the original game.

The portrait was added in the Kai PS4 release from Falcom. NISA had nothing to do with that, other than licensing that version for international release and porting.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I still haven't finished Reverie.

The portrait you mentioned was added by NISA, later. They didn't have one in the original game. I use a mod which adds more portraits to people in Zero and Azure.

Re: your last point - it's explicitly stated that Yin is using "special techniques" to "somehow" disguise the shape of her body and voice. Which means that you cannot see the outline of big honkers through the cloak to give it away.

The Duvalie portrait stands out because like Curtiss mentions, it’s from the Kai PS4 rerelease, which also adds in Juna as an NPC, so why don’t the other two Stahritter have portraits to be consistent is what I’m getting at, since CS3 gives them names and all.

And yeah, i get that Rixia’s using ninja magic to hide her figure, but it’s still obviously a cool husky woman voice coming out of there no matter which version you’re playing. Which in a way makes it even goofier, why not just use the filter thing C did, or make her sound like her predecessor if it’s meant to be a complete facade that can even fool Tio’s sound-based ESP.

But I’m putting too much effort into scrutinizing something I don’t think I’m supposed to think too much about anyway and just made me lol a little. :v: in other news though, man, that Mainz Mountain Path poo poo was brutal, good thing we’ve well and truly hit the point where Shirley is no longer gonna be written as a “comedic” character going forward after mowing down retreating border guards with her gunsawblade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Azure: does the timed Siegmund fight make a difference between them going “heh, that wasn’t half bad but you’re out of time” and actually getting them down to 0 HP?