Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

Just be rich and buy their most expensive plan that includes basically every feature imaginable!

My employer has two of them, for some reason. In actual Gucci cases :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I kinda like the International Pass AT&T has. It’s something like $10 a day max and I can make calls and use data. Used it for a trip to Paris and it worked out pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I kinda like the International Pass AT&T has. It’s something like $10 a day max and I can make calls and use data. Used it for a trip to Paris and it worked out pretty good.

That's what Verizon's is

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Endless Mike posted:

That's what Verizon's is

Verizon’s would be fine if the first international text they sent was “do you want to turn on TravelPass?” instead of “ha! Gothcha! :10bux:

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

The last time I went abroad was March 16th, and the message from Verizon at that time was the same as all the other times I traveled -- that I have TravelPass, and that I pay only on days that I use the mobile service, and that was how it worked out. If I leave data roaming off and use an ESIM, then it's just voice and SMS to watch out for, as others have mentioned. Unless Verizon has changed their policy, I think people are misunderstanding the message.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

MyronMulch posted:

The last time I went abroad was March 16th, and the message from Verizon at that time was the same as all the other times I traveled -- that I have TravelPass, and that I pay only on days that I use the mobile service, and that was how it worked out. If I leave data roaming off and use an ESIM, then it's just voice and SMS to watch out for, as others have mentioned. Unless Verizon has changed their policy, I think people are misunderstanding the message.

Yes if you turn off data roaming or the whole esim before you land you won’t pay. If you forget, you pay without warning. To me that sucks but I I won’t harp on it anymore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Will this fast charge an iPhone 13 or 14?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

Yes if you turn off data roaming or the whole esim before you land you won’t pay. If you forget, you pay without warning. To me that sucks but I I won’t harp on it anymore.
Nah you're definitely right. It's a lovely gotcha they're not particularly forward about. Like I said, I thought it was good to have, but I totally get preferring not using it when there's alternatives.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It should yeah.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Endless Mike posted:

Nah you're definitely right. It's a lovely gotcha they're not particularly forward about. Like I said, I thought it was good to have, but I totally get preferring not using it when there's alternatives.

It should yeah.

Thanks much!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looks like official Anker, so it should.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

OldSenileGuy posted:

I actually have Verizon but I’m using Airalo in another country RIGHT NOW.

I’ve found that the magic combination to keep iMessage working is to make sure that data roaming on your Primary (Verizon) line is turned OFF, and that your cellular data is set to use the Airalo eSim and make sure “allow cellular data switching” is OFF. But you need to keep your Primary line on and your “default voice line” set to Primary.

With this combo, I can still iMessage people using my regular USA phone number, as long as they are iPhone users of course. I can also call them using FaceTime Audio. I also have a Google Voice number set up in case I need to make any calls to hotels or restaurants or anything else that’s local to the place I’m traveling to. I only found out recently that Google Voice won’t send or receive international SMS messages, which threw me for a loop when I first got here.

I just need to make sure I don’t A) place or answer any phone calls from the Phone app, and B) don’t send any SMS messages - strictly stick to iMessage. Doing either of those things would trigger a TravelPass day. And since I haven’t gotten any texts from Verizon letting me know that my 24-hour Travel Pass session has started, I think it’s working out well for me?

Thanks for this; I'm going to Cambodia soon so I will refer back to it then.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MyronMulch posted:

Yeah, when I landed I got the standard “Welcome to Australia! You have Travel Pass which means you can use your domestic plan for $10 per day. Pay only on the days you use it” text. As I understand it, that text is fine.

If you receive any further texts that say something like “you have activated your Travel Pass! You can now use your domestic plan for 24 hours”, then something got screwed up and they’re gonna make you pay 10 bucks. You then need to figure out what it was and fix it before you get charged again on the next day.

You can always use the nuclear option of turning off your Verizon eSim entirely, but that’s gonna screw up your iMessage. If you and everyone you know uses WhatsApp or Signal or something then that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, my friends and family do not.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Upgrade your phone to 16.6.1

Thx

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Unfortunately, my friends and family do not.

See, having friends and family is your first mistake right here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

See, having friends and family is your first mistake right here.

what about friends and family cellphone plans

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Goons don’t need minutes. Lol.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Duckman2008 posted:

Goons don’t need minutes. Lol.

Or friends and families

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

OldSenileGuy posted:

You can always use the nuclear option of turning off your Verizon eSim entirely, but that’s gonna screw up your iMessage. If you and everyone you know uses WhatsApp or Signal or something then that shouldn’t be a problem. Unfortunately, my friends and family do not.

Pretty sure WhatsApp is 100% tied to your phone number so turning off your Verizon esim and turning on a different sim would break it just the same.

Arivia posted:

Still probably not worth it when you can get unlimited call/text/data (with 5GB high speed) for $15/month.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Boris Galerkin posted:

Pretty sure WhatsApp is 100% tied to your phone number so turning off your Verizon esim and turning on a different sim would break it just the same.

Nah WhatsApp will pick up that your number has changed and ask if you want to change your number or not, and if you don’t then it’ll just carry on working with your foreign eSIM and your original number. I guess it’s more to give you an easy way to just migrate your account if you change numbers or move countries but there’s no requirement that your WhatsApp number needs to be active on your phone in order to work

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Whatsapp doesn't give a gently caress about the esim being disabled, just that a second phone is doing an attempted enroll. It will throw an hissy fit if it launches without connectivity.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here use Home kit and have it just, not work well lately ? It keeps not finding my Ecobee thermostat and some of my smart plugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No trouble here that I can think of

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have approx 8 million HomeKit devices and they’ve all worked well since the new architecture update 1-2 years ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rumored $100 price bump for iPhone Pros. Titanium (lighter) will be nice. I realized earlier this year that I'm actually on a 36 month upgrade cycle (yay trade in credits over 36 months), so it looks like I'll be waiting until next year to upgrade anyways.

I would pick up a pair of AirPod Pro Gen 3 with USB C, whenever those drop. Definitely due for an upgrade, and I hear the sound quality between gen 1/gen 2 is pretty significant. It will also be nice to finally have a case that can charge with MagSafe too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 10, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AirPods Max with usb c and a non poo poo case please

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What you don’t like the 1970s handbag aesthetic? The headphone brassiere?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

AirPods Max with usb c and a non poo poo case please

Monkeys paw: price goes from $550 to $850.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a powerbeats pro refresh that has ANC. I want something that won't fall off my head on bike rides but I also crave that noise cancellation.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hatty posted:

What you don’t like the 1970s handbag aesthetic? The headphone brassiere?

lol I remember that thing. the only way to turn it off is to put its bra back on, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

How about a powerbeats pro refresh that has ANC. I want something that won't fall off my head on bike rides but I also crave that noise cancellation.

Omg I would buy these tomorrow.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

xzzy posted:

Yeah, don’t use any in ear headphone or anything with ANC on a bike, you will die.

Shockz are the best solution for all sports.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wooger posted:

Yeah, don’t use any in ear headphone or anything with ANC on a bike, you will die.

I didn't say I'd use ANC on a bike. I said I want headphones I can use on my bike AND have ANC available. It can be turned off with a toggle, and the transparency mode is actually super awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

NGL I’ve stopped using my AirPod pros in favor of these

The ANC isn’t quite as good and no transparency mode but they stay in so drat much better it’s not even funny.

That being said I paid $100 for them and that’s about what I think they are worth. $200 is a bit much.

The case isn’t very large either.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

but they stay in so drat much better it’s not even funny.

This can't be said enough. It's like they were designed to stay in a variety of different ears instead of just Steve Jobs'.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

MarcusSA posted:

NGL I’ve stopped using my AirPod pros in favor of these

The ANC isn’t quite as good and no transparency mode but they stay in so drat much better it’s not even funny.

That being said I paid $100 for them and that’s about what I think they are worth. $200 is a bit much.

The case isn’t very large either.

These have transparency mode, just hold the button down until it activates.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iPhone event tomorrow! :dance:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would pay good money for a toggle that let my music keep playing when I record a video.

I don’t even want the music on the video but it’s annoying AF that it stops if I want to record some dumb poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should I get the new iPhone

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

Should I get the new iPhone
What new iPhone? Nothing’s been announced, we have no idea what they’re going to talk about at the event tomorrow :applesay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Right, maybe it is just new headphones.