Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zone posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/russian-general-admits-ukraine-just-stepping-stone-invade-europe-1825776

From denazification of Ukraine to "let's try and conquer all of Europe." Any tankies at all want to weigh in on this one? I thought this was all about saving the so-called republics from the evil Ukrainians?

Goddamn, this is such a stupid thing to say out aloud for a general. They are not putting their best and brightest into these positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1700937210919309654#m

quote:

⚡️russian tactical aviation has become more active in the direction of Zmiynyi Island, operational command Pivden (South) speaker Nataliia Humenyuk has said.

According to her, guided bombs are occasionally dropped on the island.

This is done to pressure and intimidate civilian vessels in the Black Sea, which use the humanitarian corridor.

What exactly do they gain from randomly dropping bombs on Snake Island of all places? I know they're remarkably stupid but loving Christ, this sad attempt at intimidation isn't fooling anyone.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

What exactly do they gain from randomly dropping bombs on Snake Island of all places? I know they're remarkably stupid but loving Christ, this sad attempt at intimidation isn't fooling anyone.

The very strong masculine Christian warriors hate locations where people told them to go gently caress themselves and cannot comprehend letting things go but if they waste weapons blowing up snake island where nobody is probably there that is better than dropping weapons on Ukrainian tank crews or Kyiv hospitals

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

They are not putting their best and brightest into these positions
Perhaps they are

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

EorayMel posted:

The very strong masculine Christian warriors hate locations where people told them to go gently caress themselves and cannot comprehend letting things go but if they waste weapons blowing up snake island where nobody is probably there that is better than dropping weapons on Ukrainian tank crews or Kyiv hospitals

lol yeah let them expend materiel on a natural fortification nobody is inhabiting, great use of resources for a prolonged military campaign that proxied NATO

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

"There must be some mistake, why am I bombing an uninhabited island?"
"Drop the loving bomb!!"

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Better for them to bomb empty land than a place with people around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Even better would be to hide some AA there and pop those fuckers when they show up next time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The_Franz posted:

"There must be some mistake, why am I bombing an uninhabited island?"
"Drop the loving bomb!!"

"To scare off the ships!"
"How is bombing an island going to do that?"
"Well we can't let them know that we aren't able to hit a ship, but if we get lucky, we may actually score a hit on an island from time to time... which is kinda like a ship if you think about it"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EorayMel posted:

I love cheerleading dictators that plan to conquer Europe and this time everybody will be happy for it by doing it right

rishi sunak is having a bad enough time already, you don't need to kick him while he's down

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mobby_6kl posted:

Even better would be to hide some AA there and pop those fuckers when they show up next time

What, and discourage them wasting munitions? I see through your cunning plan, General Mordvichev!

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

The X-man cometh posted:

Lula isn't thinking straight because Bolsonaro was close to Putin, just like Trump.

One of the biggest leftist brainworms is the idea that US foreign policy doesn't change with the party in power.

The timelines for international diplomacy are generally measured in hours (will the helicopter get here before the army breaks down the gate) and decades (can we rebuild our navy before China decides it's ready to rumble). No one gives a poo poo who is in charge right now because it's impossible to make things better quickly, only much worse.

You don't just get to throw out the last guy and unilaterally claim all is forgiven (especially if you're a democracy where that other team could be back in charge in four years time.)

Surely you don't think Ukraine is going to roll out the welcome wagon for Russia once Putin is gone?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I love cheerleading dictators that plan to conquer Europe and this time everybody will be happy for it by doing it right

Just suggest that the people cheerleading these dictators actually go live in the countries run by them. That tends to shut them up quickly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So did, like, anything much change beyond "general grinding advance of Ukraine as Russia engages in boobery and clown country actions, healthily interspersed with shooting rockets into civilian areas" in the last like week, I had to actually not read as much GBS. :(

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Sashimi posted:

lmao that Russia is still posturing about invading the rest of Europe after the crippling losses they continue to take in Ukraine. I wonder how K2s and M1s would fare against formations of T-62 Obr. 2022...

It would take our air force like 30 minutes to completely cripple Russia's. It would be a slaughter

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

A lot of countries are perfectly happy to sit on the fence and keep doing business with Russia, either because they hold a grudge against one or more of the countries backing Ukraine or because this war is happening so far away that it doesn't register.

Is it stupid, self-centred and a bit petty? Yes. Is it true? Also yes. Welcome to international relations.

Plenty of goons seem to have confused "international relations" with "football" so I wrote a short primer that is absolutely the worst thing I've ever written but might help some goons understand why countries act the way they do.

In the top league, there are three big players: The USA Manifest Destinies, the Chinese Reeducators, and the Russian Genociders. Lately, the Russian squad has been slipping and both their players and equipment are far below what you'd expect. They'd probably face relegation if not for their nuclear arsenal — a relic from the old league rules. And of course, as the newest addition to the top tier, the Chinese team is trying to prove itself by making moves in SE Asia, leaving many teams there wary of potential takeovers.

The American MDs have a few subsidiaries: the UK Sunset Empires (who somehow got sidelined despite having nukes), the Australian "White Australia Policy's," and the oddly named Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Not all of Taiwan, because, well, the US doesn't actually give a poo poo about the people just the chips.

Since the TSMC, UK, and Australia are essentially playing for Team USA, they can freely critique Russia and China but they absolutely cannot criticise Team USA otherwise there's a risk that the US board of directors might tell their head coach he can't play with them anymore. (As an aside, Australia also has some intricate sponsorship deals with China — so mark that relationship as "It's complicated.")

But TSMC has a problem: They are very vulnerable to Chinese expansion and are banking on the US having their back. Except, most teams (including the US) are now heavily investing in their own semiconductor infrastructure, and as the US need for TSMC products drops, this protection is slowly turning into kayfabe rather than a genuine commitment for support. Even so, there's zero chance of TSMC, UK or Australia ever criticising anything the US team does because they need that support. And remember, the US recently dropped the Afghani "Women's Rights" team for not meeting expectations, leaving it vulnerable to takeover so it's not like this is a theoretical risk.

This is the first key point. Countries support the one of the big three because it's in their interests to do so and often they have no other choice.

Now consider the shaky state of Team USA — with the head coach being an 80-year-old strike breaker showing signs of dementia and the alternate being an 80-year-old lunatic showing signs of fascism (and also dementia) — it's no wonder that even the affiliate teams are getting a bit nervous. And when you start drilling down on the internal poo poo happening in places like Florida, I'm sure plenty of teams are going "maybe a religious buyout of the largest nuclear arsenal in the world would be bad".

This is the second key point: the US team has been acting really weird since it elected a black man as president and half its players went insane.

Now, let's check out the Brazilian team specifically, the "Operation Brother Sam's". They've had their run-ins with the US in the past, so let's explore what that means:

1. Swapping your head coach doesn't wipe the slate clean or rebuild trust. For instance, even if Putin "retired" tomorrow, Ukraine isn't going to throw a welcome party for the new coach.
2. Much like how the TSMC is forced to rely on the US despite it not being sustainable long term, Brazil doesn't have too many teams that will give it support against a US team who it views as increasingly unstable and which has a history of loving with them.

So given all this, I hope you can see that even though we all agree it would be best for everyone if Putin was convicted in the Hague and hanged, it's equally understandable Brazil might be hesitant to sever ties with one of the two teams that might be willing to push back against the US MD's if they are bought out by the fundamentalists.

----

Now I've written a lot of bad posts in my life but this is absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever written. But I am hoping it will be worth it, if it helps even one goon understand why minor and middle powers aren't taking on a country that they might need support from in a few years time.

International politics is a complex web of obligations, opportunities, threats and promises where doing the right thing by arresting a genocidal dictator might come back to bite you in ten years time when you discover your country has enormous rare earth mineral deposits and Elon Musk convinces Trump 2.0 that the country is full of the "trans agenda" to get access to them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was not ready for International Realist Football.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like Ukraine should send their greatest warrior or crafter on the "Orlanth Discovers Economical AA Technology" heroquest imo.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Party Ape posted:

Plenty of goons seem to have confused "international relations" with "football" so I wrote a short primer that is absolutely the worst thing I've ever written but might help some goons understand why countries act the way they do.

In the top league, there are three big players: The USA Manifest Destinies, the Chinese Reeducators, and the Russian Genociders. Lately, the Russian squad has been slipping and both their players and equipment are far below what you'd expect. They'd probably face relegation if not for their nuclear arsenal — a relic from the old league rules. And of course, as the newest addition to the top tier, the Chinese team is trying to prove itself by making moves in SE Asia, leaving many teams there wary of potential takeovers.

The American MDs have a few subsidiaries: the UK Sunset Empires (who somehow got sidelined despite having nukes), the Australian "White Australia Policy's," and the oddly named Taiwanese Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Not all of Taiwan, because, well, the US doesn't actually give a poo poo about the people just the chips.

Since the TSMC, UK, and Australia are essentially playing for Team USA, they can freely critique Russia and China but they absolutely cannot criticise Team USA otherwise there's a risk that the US board of directors might tell their head coach he can't play with them anymore. (As an aside, Australia also has some intricate sponsorship deals with China — so mark that relationship as "It's complicated.")

But TSMC has a problem: They are very vulnerable to Chinese expansion and are banking on the US having their back. Except, most teams (including the US) are now heavily investing in their own semiconductor infrastructure, and as the US need for TSMC products drops, this protection is slowly turning into kayfabe rather than a genuine commitment for support. Even so, there's zero chance of TSMC, UK or Australia ever criticising anything the US team does because they need that support. And remember, the US recently dropped the Afghani "Women's Rights" team for not meeting expectations, leaving it vulnerable to takeover so it's not like this is a theoretical risk.

This is the first key point. Countries support the one of the big three because it's in their interests to do so and often they have no other choice.

Now consider the shaky state of Team USA — with the head coach being an 80-year-old strike breaker showing signs of dementia and the alternate being an 80-year-old lunatic showing signs of fascism (and also dementia) — it's no wonder that even the affiliate teams are getting a bit nervous. And when you start drilling down on the internal poo poo happening in places like Florida, I'm sure plenty of teams are going "maybe a religious buyout of the largest nuclear arsenal in the world would be bad".

This is the second key point: the US team has been acting really weird since it elected a black man as president and half its players went insane.

Now, let's check out the Brazilian team specifically, the "Operation Brother Sam's". They've had their run-ins with the US in the past, so let's explore what that means:

1. Swapping your head coach doesn't wipe the slate clean or rebuild trust. For instance, even if Putin "retired" tomorrow, Ukraine isn't going to throw a welcome party for the new coach.
2. Much like how the TSMC is forced to rely on the US despite it not being sustainable long term, Brazil doesn't have too many teams that will give it support against a US team who it views as increasingly unstable and which has a history of loving with them.

So given all this, I hope you can see that even though we all agree it would be best for everyone if Putin was convicted in the Hague and hanged, it's equally understandable Brazil might be hesitant to sever ties with one of the two teams that might be willing to push back against the US MD's if they are bought out by the fundamentalists.

----

Now I've written a lot of bad posts in my life but this is absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever written. But I am hoping it will be worth it, if it helps even one goon understand why minor and middle powers aren't taking on a country that they might need support from in a few years time.

International politics is a complex web of obligations, opportunities, threats and promises where doing the right thing by arresting a genocidal dictator might come back to bite you in ten years time when you discover your country has enormous rare earth mineral deposits and Elon Musk convinces Trump 2.0 that the country is full of the "trans agenda" to get access to them.

The understanding of this position from Brazil, or anyone, hangs on the implication that Russia is able to support anyone in a meaningful way. Did Lula watch the farce that is Russian support in the CSTO and think 'Nah but I can absolutely rely on this nation when I need them'? This is the equivalent of 'I won't bench my 47-year-old goalkeeper because what if next season I really need a goalkeeper and they don't want to play anymore?'

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Nessus posted:

So did, like, anything much change beyond "general grinding advance of Ukraine as Russia engages in boobery and clown country actions, healthily interspersed with shooting rockets into civilian areas" in the last like week, I had to actually not read as much GBS. :(

Not really. There are some good indications that Ukraine has been doing better with the counteroffensive lately, but it's too soon to tell how significant it is.

Party Ape posted:

----

Oh my god never post again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Party Ape posted:

Now I've written a lot of bad posts in my life but this is absolutely one of the dumbest things I've ever written.

You wrote 10k words to condescend to the GBS Ukraine thread like the true simpletons we all are, and then took time out of your busy day at the end to lament how difficult it was on your psyche to do so.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I liked it

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

steinrokkan posted:

"To scare off the ships!"
"How is bombing an island going to do that?"
"Well we can't let them know that we aren't able to hit a ship, but if we get lucky, we may actually score a hit on an island from time to time... which is kinda like a ship if you think about it"

Well, you see, Snake Island rests on the bottom of the Black Sea, just like the Moskva, so I can see why the Russians would be confused... :hmmyes:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should come together and build some football stadiums on the contact line.

The Russians in ukrainians could fight over there who gets to have a flag on the pitch

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: that is a 22lb chunk of depleted uranium that when fired is moving 25% faster than a bullet from a hunting rifle. You don't use that for infantry, but it will make a very precise hole in up to 800mm (!!!) of RHA.

Thats the duder that would make me pack it up and call it a day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Party Ape posted:

----

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*drunk russian diplomat bursts out of a dumpster and smashes through window into thread waving a dossier written by germany in WW1* USING TANK SHOTGUN ROUNDS IS A WARCRIME AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION!!!!!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dwesa posted:

soldiers forgot to peel the foil off the optics?
Oh man, peeling off the plastic film from the screens feels SO GOOD

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's kind of amazing to me that a camera can track it that well, probably 20 years ago (at least 15).

Also that bit at 1:20.... :staredog:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
that was quite a post

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Party Ape posted:

Plenty of goons seem to have confused "international relations" with "football" so I wrote a short primer that is absolutely the worst thing I've ever written...

I kinda like reading people's various weird ways of explaining things. More perspectives are welcome as far as I'm concerned and the writing quality of the GBS Ukraine thread isn't exactly a tough bar to pass.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Medvedevs son lost the US open lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
btw the reason ukraine is able to advance on the donetsk airport is because they trolled russians into revealing their positions when they released the giant ukrainian flag over donetsk using balloons, according to the head of the avdiivka military administration. the russians opened fire on the flag and got HIMARS'd

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

btw the reason ukraine is able to advance on the donetsk airport is because they trolled russians into revealing their positions when they released the giant ukrainian flag over donetsk using balloons, according to the head of the avdiivka military administration. the russians opened fire on the flag and got HIMARS'd

This was also my favorite strategy in just cause 3

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hahaha holy gently caress the ukrainians have decided they aren't content with drone dropping grenades anymore, they've upgraded to drone-dropped anti-tank mines rigged for contact detonation rather than pressure plate triggers

https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-rejigging-russian-mines-dropping-on-putins-army-from-drones-2023-9?utm_source=reddit.com

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

*drunk russian diplomat bursts out of a dumpster and smashes through window into thread waving a dossier written by germany in WW1* USING TANK SHOTGUN ROUNDS IS A WARCRIME AGAINST THE GENEVA CONVENTION!!!!!

The Vodka Aid Man
"OH BLYAT!!!!!!!"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

good things follow when russians start posting that 'situation is difficult' on telegram

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lula's position would be more understandable if Russia and Putin in particular had any value as an ally right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sedgr posted:

I kinda like reading people's various weird ways of explaining things. More perspectives are welcome as far as I'm concerned and the writing quality of the GBS Ukraine thread isn't exactly a tough bar to pass.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

I feel like the complaint is that for all the effort the metaphor doesn't do a better job of explaining things than just explaining them without the football words added in. It's just a pedantic and simplistic (if fairly accurate to my limited knowledge) take on things that no one needed.

ml;mp

defenestrate putin all day erryday, hail seitan