Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

It's so loving refreshing hearing a band say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

I found the face of danger

Breathe attacks are perfidious, but if you equip the right materia you can learn them yourself

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Why Am I So Tired posted:

badass

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
deerhoof good

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Now with video
https://twitter.com/frozen/status/1700699889624306107?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Anywhere good to buy KF94s these days? I'm almost out of my ancient stock of BOTNs, and they're still my go-to for quick ins and outs, outdoor stuff if unexpectedly crowded, etc.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Neighbors have Covid.

Covid is over.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Animal-Mother posted:

Covid is just over the fence.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Teenage Riot posted:

Anywhere good to buy KF94s these days? I'm almost out of my ancient stock of BOTNs, and they're still my go-to for quick ins and outs, outdoor stuff if unexpectedly crowded, etc.

Breatheteq: https://breatheteq.com/

ooh, they have lavender now, just bought a pack for the new quarter.

Strep Vote has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Sep 10, 2023

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
Deerhoof has been consistently posting good all pandemic and also consistently putting out great music their near 30 years

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Why Am I So Tired posted:

This is why I support the don't speculate bands have covid thing, albeit for the opposite reason:

It's redundant, chances are it's COVID lmao.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

As someone with workaholic parents, it's all kinds of horrifying seeing people with covid literally work themselves to death. Nothing in the world is worth doing that to yourself but our culture is so poisoned by capitalism that it's almost like people are fighting to be the next one to die.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
ayyyyyyyy

https://twitter.com/fangoria/status/1700870954014933324?s=46

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Strep Vote posted:

Breatheteq: https://breatheteq.com/

ooh, they have lavender now, just bought a pack for the new quarter.

Thanks! Thread consensus seems very positive, bought a 10 pack to try out

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

This is why you should wear a full face

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

cpu abuser was right?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

God I hope dog antivaxxing doesn't take off, I don't want to live in the timeline where Facetouchering is a thing that we just say happens instead of widespread disgust on the forums.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

fuckin hell

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

can we really speculate about this being over the n95 without independent confirmation and a randomized controlled trial

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Insanite posted:

can we really speculate about this being over the n95 without independent confirmation and a randomized controlled trial

no. there’s no evidence that n95s cause Will Keenan’s to get assaulted in public. stop spreading antivaxxxx misinformation and start being normal.

I can’t stress that last part enough. no matter what else you do, shut the gently caress up and act normal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/senduckworth/status/1700939798574137736?s=46

she was last infected 8 months ago

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
this long COVID / Post-COVID Condition (PCC) study was released recently, it's been mentioned in one or two articles but i don't think anyone's posted the study results itt directly

Mateu et al. (2023) - Determinants of the Onset and Prognosis of the Post-COVID-19 Condition: A 2-Year Prospective Cohort Study

it's a longitudinal study, 2 year duration starting May 2020, with medical staff doing the questionnaires, physical examinations and follow-up diagnostic imaging (just for cardio issues afaict). visits took place at 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months post-infection. recovery was defined as being the remission of all persistent symptoms for three consecutive months; or return to baseline status if the patient had pre-existing symptoms before COVID. almost all the cohort were unvaccinated at time of infection, they also all self-presented to a particular Long COVID Unit, so there may be some sample bias towards worse infections and worse PCC symptoms

quote:

Preexisting conditions associated with the PCC included fibromyalgia, history of headache or insomnia, comorbidities, autoimmune diseases and prior arrythmia episodes.

quote:

A plethora of symptoms at COVID-19 onset were associated with an increased risk of PCC. Those with the highest magnitude of association were dysphonia, tinnitus, visual alterations, insomnia, neurocognitive complaints, neurosensitive alterations, mucosal dryness, tachycardia, dizziness, and abdominal and chest pain.

quote:

male sex (Risk ratio, RR = 3.24, 95% CI: 1.56–6.75), prior ICU admission (RR = 8.3, 95% CI: 2.84–24.27), a tertiary educational level (RR = 2.34, 95% CI: 1.08–5.09) and the presence of cardiovascular comorbidities (hypertension, diabetes and/or dyslipidemia) during the acute COVID-19 episode (RR = 1.99, 95% CI: 1.01–3.92) were associated with a higher likelihood of subsequent recovery from the PCC. Importantly, subjects with smell and taste alterations and hyporexia during the acute COVID-19 episode were also more likely to recover from the PCC thereafter (RR = 2.53, 95% CI: 1.16–5E51). Conversely, the presence of muscle pain, impaired attention, dyspnea, or tachycardia during acute COVID-19 was associated with a reduced likeliness of recovering from the PCC (RR = 0.28, 95% CI: 0.14–0.57).

PCC symptoms were split into 3 heavily-overlapping clusters A, B, and C
  • cluster A primarily fatigue; median 6 symptoms. predominantly male, had required hospitalisation and ICU admission during acute disease. most likely to recover.
  • cluster B fatigue plus dyspnea, neurocognitive complaints, headache, myalgia, arthralgia, chest pain and tachycardia; median 10 symptoms
  • cluster C as cluster B plus skin and smell alterations, dysphagia, diarrhea, neurosensitive symptoms; median 14 symptoms

quote:

Only 26 (7.6%) of study participants recovered from the PCC during follow-up. The median time to recovery among these subjects was 11·4 months (IQR 6·1 – 13·3). Almost all of them (n=24) belonged to cluster A; only one individual belonged to each cluster B and C
Worryingly, recovery from the PCC was rare during the first two years, which poses a major challenge to European healthcare systems. As long as SARS-CoV-2 transmission continues and few people are cured from the PCC, subjects with such disabling post-viral syndrome will continue to accumulate and will have to be properly absorbed and managed by currently unprepared systems
Cardiovascular and/or cognitive disorders were particularly prevalent in at least one of the clusters. Symptoms like fatigue and dyspnea were highly prevalent across the three clusters, whereas others like tachycardia or cough had a high prevalence only in cluster C, which also showed a high prevalence of other symptoms. Interestingly, chest pain, identified in approximately 45% of individuals in clusters B and C, correlated with heart abnormalities on MRI in a significant proportion of these patients. The frequency of MRI-confirmed perfusion abnormalities was higher among individuals in cluster C (5/50 individuals; 10%)
than in the other clusters: 2.6% (4/142) in cluster B and 0 in cluster A
. Although limited in number, these findings add to previous knowledge indicating cardiovascular damage in the PCC.
The observed clusters in all studies are largely driven by a discrete set of dominant symptoms that show a cumulative pattern and frequently correlate among themselves. This implies that the number and specific composition of the PCC clusters will be highly dependent on the characteristics (i.e., size and nature) of the patient group analyzed. As a consequence, specific symptom clustering is unlikely to be sufficiently consistent and reproducible across cohorts to become useful for daily clinical management or reliable clinical trial design. It is thus urgent to advance our knowledge to identify reliable, objective biomarkers of the PCC.

there was also a passing look at whether being vaccinated after PCC affected symptoms at all: very few improved, very few made permanently worse, a few experienced transient symptom worsening (but this may just have been the nature of PCC), but largely no effect

quote:

Importantly, our study design does not allow to establish any causal relationship between SARS-CoV-2 vaccination and PCC symptoms, and should be interpreted strictly as a descriptive exercise. We cannot rule out that any modification of symptoms could be related to the relapsing nature of the PCC, or to any other confounding factor.

all in all, an odd one. i'm not sure how to square "very few people recover from PCC" with stuff like the ONS Long COVID statistics showing a decline somewhat larger than just 7% over 2 years - this is ~16% over 7 months (methodology aside for a moment)

when we know COVID is generally around and infecting people regularly

one thing i did notice was no mention of reinfection, multiple infection, or re-testing - maybe members of the cohort were getting reinfected and that was causing relapses in their PCC? that, or methodology, or maybe n=341 just isn't enough for a condition this diverse. anyone got any better ideas? idk, without proper biomarkers or standardisation the whole thing's a mess

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Covid is over why do these people keep announcing it

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nexous posted:

Covid is over why do these people keep announcing it

my semi-annual "i got COVID and it's mild" tweet has absolutely nobody, not a single person, asking any questions whatsoever

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

saw them play in july, masks required. no enforcement past the door but golf clap for effort in usa in 2023. the band took the stage in masks but didn't play in them

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

CGI Stardust posted:

(..)
all in all, an odd one. i'm not sure how to square "very few people recover from PCC" with stuff like the ONS Long COVID statistics showing a decline somewhat larger than just 7% over 2 years - this is ~16% over 7 months (methodology aside for a moment)

when we know COVID is generally around and infecting people regularly
(..)

Thank you for the rundown!

To try and answer your question, ONS and this Long COVID Unit works with very different definitions of long COVID and very different cohorts.

The ONS cohort is people answering yes to the following question:
"Would you describe yourself as having 'long COVID', that is, you are still experiencing symptoms more than 4 weeks after you first had COVID-19, that are not explained by something else?"

A lot of people with relatively short term after-effects of COVID are going to truthfully answer yes. Some of these would even still be infected at the time. Considering people start at the sickest, a single month is cutting it short (it is also the first month most of the heart issues are really dire).
It doesn't re-up the percentage with continuing waves, but this can simply be due to this being self-reported, combined with a lack of testing (can't have long COVID if you can't be sure you even had COVID).

Meanwhile the Long COVID Unit requires people to have symptoms after 3 months and there is (or appears to be) an actual team of professionals to diagnose ailments. How exactly they ended up at the clinic in the first place is ill-defined, but likely they have been referred from a PCP, which is another gate-keeper on severity. Subsequently the long COVID cohort in the study is having a fairly rough go at it (from the appendix):

The cohort is more sick and have been sick for longer, than the ONS cohort. We would expect this group to be much more confidently comprised of people with long-term damage.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

My “mild” symptoms lasted 3 loving weeks. The first week was hell with a fever of 104 for 6 days then a break followed by a sinus infection for a week.

Mild my rear end.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

corona familiar posted:

my semi-annual "i got COVID and it's mild" tweet has absolutely nobody, not a single person, asking any questions whatsoever
no one bats an eye when they mention their 4th, 5th infection, it's insane
'oh yeah #5 really hosed me up' 'i was out for like 2 weeks' 'but whatever, i got over it, it's just like the flu'
lmao

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Thread about Novavax vs. mRNA

https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1700854098755563660

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
are the new monovalent vaccines being released later this year Novavax, or just Pfizer and Moderna brands?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

maxwellhill posted:

are the new monovalent vaccines being released later this year Novavax, or just Pfizer and Moderna brands?

In the US, it should be Novavax as well.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

So I should get novovax then instead of these new modified vaccines?

Can kids get Novavax? When can I get the shot after having COVID?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

So I should get novovax then instead of these new modified vaccines?

Can kids get Novavax? When can I get the shot after having COVID?

Novavax is also getting updated to target XBB.1.5.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

corona familiar posted:

Everyone's dead.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Insanite posted:

uh

https://twitter.com/willkeenan/status/1699783637867327948?s=21

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Pingui posted:

Novavax is also getting updated to target XBB.1.5.

Can kids get it?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Glumwheels posted:

Can kids get it?

12+ for the old one. Eligibility has still not been determined for any of the new ones.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

more irresponsible speculation from covid thread

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

nexous posted:

cpu abuser was right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

Pingui posted:

12+ for the old one. Eligibility has still not been determined for any of the new ones.

Well poo poo