Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

12+ for the old one. Eligibility has still not been determined for any of the new ones.

it owns that my v. young kids could be SOL into middle school because the most important thing in contemporary public health is memoryholing covid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Both Pfizer and Moderna released bivalent BA.1/BA.5 vaccines in fall 2022 since the antibodies generated from their original mRNA vaccines could no longer neutralize these newer Omicron variants. 12/

Novavax however did not release a bivalent vaccine because their original vaccine formula with Matrix-M still worked with the BA.1 and BA.5 variants. 13/

Yeah nah.

The first generation of the Novavax vaccine was probably less bad than the first generation Pfizer/Moderna vaccines at protecting against Omicron (with sparse data), but he’s going too far with this creative rewriting of history.

The reason that Novavax did not “release” a bivalent vaccine is that their manufacturing was not up to the task, not that their product was so good that they simply didn’t need to.

And I would further argue that “need” is a value judgement, and that even a tiny improvement in protection against the world’s foremost infectious disease is worth doing.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:09 on Sep 11, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Insanite posted:

it owns that my v. young kids could be SOL into middle school because the most important thing in contemporary public health is memoryholing covid

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1701018433159336445?s=46

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

free cpu toucher, down with the bourgeouis elements in the samples section

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Why did they make the COVID look delicious

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

So I should get novovax then instead of these new modified vaccines?

Can kids get Novavax? When can I get the shot after having COVID?

I had to do crimes to get novavax, last I checked you're only eligible if you are unvaccinated, they won't give it to you after an mrna, at least in the USA

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

covid has the crunch kids love

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
gently caress samples!

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

nexous posted:

cpu abuser was right?

The assaulter was that SAD poster

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-situation-room-50-million-facelift-new-cutting-edge-tech

Heeeey did they just installed UVC lights in the ceiling?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol yes they did, someone pointed it out when that first got posted about

https://twitter.com/Harvard/status/1700940202670260572so much immunity, filled to the brim with immunity from all these infections

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Some people were speculating that but other sources were saying the space had “color changing LED lights”, so who knows what those fixtures actually are.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Thanks, just ordered the free tests :shrug:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
isn't being exposed to uvc bad

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

spiritual bypass posted:

technically yes! which is why you install it in the ceiling and mainly point it upward to take advantage of inverse square intensity and also the fact that humans live on the floor

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

icantfindaname posted:

I had to do crimes to get novavax, last I checked you're only eligible if you are unvaccinated, they won't give it to you after an mrna, at least in the USA

Very cool and normal country

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DominoKitten posted:

Some people were speculating that but other sources were saying the space had “color changing LED lights”, so who knows what those fixtures actually are.

It looks kind of stupid for a UVC setup, but a mood lighting setup for the president is also stupid, so who knows?

spiritual bypass posted:

If you get too much exposure in too short a time you will be in pain, but the long term safety profile is fine.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

DominoKitten posted:

Govee RGBIC LED Strip Lights, Smart LED Lights for White House Situation Room, Bluetooth LED Lights APP Control, DIY Multiple Colors on One Line, Color Changing LED Lights Music Sync for Gaming Room, Halloween, 16.4ft

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

from that harvard news interview,

covid killed 100k this year so far (probably undercounted) and that's considered double what a 'bad' flu year is. now let's put those 100k deaths on top of a bad flu year which is 60k deaths, now that's what i call 'things are, relatively speaking, pretty good.'
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

surge? increase? protection? immunity? words? whats the point of them??

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

.... other sources were saying the space had “color changing LED lights”....

Laughing at the thought of the White House situation room blinking like a 12 year old's gaming rig, as they show missile cam videos.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

mask wearing is mentioned in the final exchange but still lmao

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nexous posted:

cpu abuser was right

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tzen posted:

jesus this is dire

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Defending yourself from an assault that would take your eye out is pretty far from being heckled by a cheesemonger.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

lol those are absolutely 222nm uvc lights

spiritual bypass posted:

seems to depend on the specific wavelength. historically 254nm uvc was used for sterilization and such, which definitely is harsh re: exposure, but 222nm seems to be significantly better re: exposure risk / not really able to penetrate past the first [dead] layer of skin nor into the eye

supposedly

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

coworker friend of mine has been taking covid seriously since day 1, never got infected. just had a baby three weeks ago. her 6-year-old son got covid at kindergarten and has possibly infected the entire household, including the three-week old baby.

things are, relatively speaking, pretty good

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Defending yourself from an assault that would take your eye out is pretty far from being heckled by a cheesemonger.

problems solved by always open carrying

the only thing sick about me are my twin desert eagles

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
C-SPAM › [Pestilence] Things are, relatively speaking, pretty good.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

tuyop posted:

this for me too. also hearing about people’s kids having strokes and poo poo is really upsetting and hard!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Tzen posted:

covid killed 100k this year so far (probably undercounted) and that's considered double what a 'bad' flu year is. now let's put those 100k deaths on top of a bad flu year which is 60k deaths, now that's what i call 'things are, relatively speaking, pretty good.'
lmao

Hearing this statistic reminds me of "Getting to and Sustaining the Next Normal - A Roadmap for Living with COVID", that publication from March 2022 written in part by one of the thread's favorite geronticidal assholes, Dr. Ezekiel "dying at 75 will not be a tragedy" Emanuel.

The document was pretty explicit about how we'd know when we finally exited the pandemic and reached the New Normal

quote:

Combined deaths from major respiratory viruses

The prior chapter outlined that public health leaders must strive for an interim goal of less than 0.5 deaths per million people per day in the next normal from major respiratory viruses. To stay below this threshold, the country must keep combined deaths from Covid, RSV, and flu equal to or below 60,000. This is possible. The lower end of the intermediate Covid scenario, combined with average annual flu and RSV-related deaths, would yield approximately 60,000 deaths —but it is far from guaranteed.

Huh, turns out we are...living in the pessimistic scenario??? Now that can't be right!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
lol an IFR of 0.1% you're shootin low there

at least, if you don't consider people over the age of 50 to be human, I guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tzen posted:

lmao

A hundred thousand deaths in the year to date puts the U.S. at about twice the what the Biden administration wanted to sell the American public on.

How many Covid deaths are acceptable? Some Biden officials tried to guess.

By RACHAEL LEVY
06/06/2022 04:30 AM EDT

Biden officials in recent months privately discussed how many daily Covid-19 deaths it would take to declare the virus tamed, three people familiar with the conversations told POLITICO.

The discussions, which took place across the administration, and have not been previously disclosed, involved a scenario in which 200 or fewer Americans die per day, a target kicked around before officials ultimately decided not to incorporate it into pandemic planning, according to the people. The discussions were described as exploratory, said the people, who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about internal deliberations.

One U.S. health official told POLITICO the number was “aspirational ... a general metric people have bounced around a lot” that would signal that “the pandemic would be under control.” But, this person added, the figure “never passed the hurdles to be a formal metric.”

The sensitive nature of the conversations and the decision not to bring any hard number to the most senior members of the coronavirus task force or top Biden officials demonstrates the longstanding struggle to articulate when the country has controlled a pandemic that has already killed more than 1 million Americans and is still claiming nearly 300 lives every day.

Fewer than 200 people dead a day would translate to about 73,000 deaths per year, slightly more than what the U.S. experiences during a bad flu season.

Because the virus continues to evolve, officials have largely shied away from promoting any metric, especially after the administration appeared to herald Covid’s end last summer, just ahead of the Delta and Omicron waves, which led to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

“They don’t want to say that it’s tolerable for 200 Americans a day to die,” added one of the three people familiar with the matter, who personally discussed the number with administration officials.

Still, the discussions represented at least a nascent effort to create a framework for a post-Covid world.

One of the three people involved in the conversations last year said it was an effort to gauge what the American public would “tolerate.”

“Five hundred a day is a lot. You still have 9/11 numbers in a week,” the person said. “People generally felt like 100 [a day] or less, or maybe 200, would be OK.”

With fewer than 200 people dead per day, the person added, hospitals wouldn’t be overrun and infection rates would be comparatively low, allowing Americans to live closer to pre-pandemic times with less threat of infection.

“When you spread 100 to 200 [deaths] around the country, then it’s minimal around your [geographic] area,” the person said.

But the idea never became official.

Cyrus Shahpar, the White House’s pandemic data director, told POLITICO that pinpointing a number “doesn’t make sense from a public health perspective because it’s also about how long you’re able to maintain low numbers or low severity of illness,” and the virus can evolve quickly.

“Because these things are all changing, I think most experts would tell you it’s hard to have any kind of durable number … because the overarching goal for us is to drive down deaths,” he said. “There’s no point at which you give up trying to drive down deaths.”

“We’re not satisfied with the number of deaths we have now,” he added. “I don’t really know why 200 would be a number that would be magically OK.”

At no point since the pandemic’s first weeks have fewer than 200 Americans died per day at a sustained rate. During the country’s best stretch, last summer, an average of 230 Americans died daily. A few months later, Omicron killed more than 2,600 Americans per day, many of whom were vaccinated.

The White House for months has focused more on hospitalizations and deaths than infections, telling Americans that Covid-19 is more manageable because of vaccines and therapeutics.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidance so that mask recommendations were tied to hospitalizations instead of infections and let mask mandates on public transportation lapse. Inside the White House, there has been debate over how vigilant the public should be considering roughly 2,000 Americans are dying every week and the CDC expects deaths to rise in the weeks ahead as cases are forecast to surge nationwide.

While vaccines greatly reduce the risk of death, only 67 percent of Americans meet the CDC’s definition of fully vaccinated, a figure that doesn’t include boosters, placing the U.S. 68th globally, behind countries like Bangladesh and Rwanda, according to Our World In Data. Less than one-third of Americans have received a booster shot.

Using daily deaths as a metric of success is not a new idea. The administration’s external advisers proposed a similar figure in recent months and public health experts have debated what death toll policymakers should target throughout the pandemic.

Communication around the pandemic and its eventual end, however, have long presented a challenge for the White House, which has nudged vaccinated Americans toward pre-pandemic life while also extending a public health emergency declaration that grants state and federal government a host of special powers.

Meanwhile, the administration is asking Congress for billions of dollars to purchase additional vaccines and therapeutics ahead of an expected fall surge in cases.

“So if you’re wondering what is it that really worries me — I think we have the tools for the summer,” Covid coordinator Ashish Jha told a largely maskless crowd of journalists inside the White House on Thursday. “We will not have the tools for the fall and winter, unless Congress steps up and funds us.”

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Platystemon posted:

A hundred thousand deaths in the year to date puts the U.S. at about twice the what the Biden administration wanted to sell the American public on.

How many Covid deaths are acceptable? Some Biden officials tried to guess.

By RACHAEL LEVY
06/06/2022 04:30 AM EDT

Biden officials in recent months privately discussed how many daily Covid-19 deaths it would take to declare the virus tamed, three people familiar with the conversations told POLITICO.

The discussions, which took place across the administration, and have not been previously disclosed, involved a scenario in which 200 or fewer Americans die per day, a target kicked around before officials ultimately decided not to incorporate it into pandemic planning, according to the people. The discussions were described as exploratory, said the people, who were granted anonymity so they could speak freely about internal deliberations.

One U.S. health official told POLITICO the number was “aspirational ... a general metric people have bounced around a lot” that would signal that “the pandemic would be under control.” But, this person added, the figure “never passed the hurdles to be a formal metric.”

The sensitive nature of the conversations and the decision not to bring any hard number to the most senior members of the coronavirus task force or top Biden officials demonstrates the longstanding struggle to articulate when the country has controlled a pandemic that has already killed more than 1 million Americans and is still claiming nearly 300 lives every day.

Fewer than 200 people dead a day would translate to about 73,000 deaths per year, slightly more than what the U.S. experiences during a bad flu season.

Because the virus continues to evolve, officials have largely shied away from promoting any metric, especially after the administration appeared to herald Covid’s end last summer, just ahead of the Delta and Omicron waves, which led to hundreds of thousands of deaths.

“They don’t want to say that it’s tolerable for 200 Americans a day to die,” added one of the three people familiar with the matter, who personally discussed the number with administration officials.

Still, the discussions represented at least a nascent effort to create a framework for a post-Covid world.

One of the three people involved in the conversations last year said it was an effort to gauge what the American public would “tolerate.”

“Five hundred a day is a lot. You still have 9/11 numbers in a week,” the person said. “People generally felt like 100 [a day] or less, or maybe 200, would be OK.”

With fewer than 200 people dead per day, the person added, hospitals wouldn’t be overrun and infection rates would be comparatively low, allowing Americans to live closer to pre-pandemic times with less threat of infection.

“When you spread 100 to 200 [deaths] around the country, then it’s minimal around your [geographic] area,” the person said.

But the idea never became official.

Cyrus Shahpar, the White House’s pandemic data director, told POLITICO that pinpointing a number “doesn’t make sense from a public health perspective because it’s also about how long you’re able to maintain low numbers or low severity of illness,” and the virus can evolve quickly.

“Because these things are all changing, I think most experts would tell you it’s hard to have any kind of durable number … because the overarching goal for us is to drive down deaths,” he said. “There’s no point at which you give up trying to drive down deaths.”

“We’re not satisfied with the number of deaths we have now,” he added. “I don’t really know why 200 would be a number that would be magically OK.”

At no point since the pandemic’s first weeks have fewer than 200 Americans died per day at a sustained rate. During the country’s best stretch, last summer, an average of 230 Americans died daily. A few months later, Omicron killed more than 2,600 Americans per day, many of whom were vaccinated.

The White House for months has focused more on hospitalizations and deaths than infections, telling Americans that Covid-19 is more manageable because of vaccines and therapeutics.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidance so that mask recommendations were tied to hospitalizations instead of infections and let mask mandates on public transportation lapse. Inside the White House, there has been debate over how vigilant the public should be considering roughly 2,000 Americans are dying every week and the CDC expects deaths to rise in the weeks ahead as cases are forecast to surge nationwide.

While vaccines greatly reduce the risk of death, only 67 percent of Americans meet the CDC’s definition of fully vaccinated, a figure that doesn’t include boosters, placing the U.S. 68th globally, behind countries like Bangladesh and Rwanda, according to Our World In Data. Less than one-third of Americans have received a booster shot.

Using daily deaths as a metric of success is not a new idea. The administration’s external advisers proposed a similar figure in recent months and public health experts have debated what death toll policymakers should target throughout the pandemic.

Communication around the pandemic and its eventual end, however, have long presented a challenge for the White House, which has nudged vaccinated Americans toward pre-pandemic life while also extending a public health emergency declaration that grants state and federal government a host of special powers.

Meanwhile, the administration is asking Congress for billions of dollars to purchase additional vaccines and therapeutics ahead of an expected fall surge in cases.

“So if you’re wondering what is it that really worries me — I think we have the tools for the summer,” Covid coordinator Ashish Jha told a largely maskless crowd of journalists inside the White House on Thursday. “We will not have the tools for the fall and winter, unless Congress steps up and funds us.”

Mainline/establishment liberal support of and interest in addressing COVID was only ever a measure to organize opposition to Trump for the 2020 election. Once that was over, the main motivating force was gone and the problem became when do we declare victory and complete the triumph over trump.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Is alpha-gal allergy something you can get without the tick bite?

Nobody knows for sure. Empirically, tick bites, or lifestyle/location factors that predispose one to them, are definitely a risk factor. Some other parasites and vector-borne diseases have been implicated, and even bee stings, but tick bites are the best supported cause right now. Some people with alpha-gal allergy have no known history of being bitten by a tick, but of course many (most?) tick bites go unnoticed.

Many people have anti alpha-gal antibodies, and these are believed/known to be protective against many vector-borne diseases and even some non vector-borne diseases (funnily enough, there is even a paper or two out there indicating a protective effect against SARS-CoV-2, but idk). It is believed that new world apes including humans lost the ability to make alpha-gal specifically so their immune systems could safely produce such antibodies. This makes it possible to develop an alpha-gal allergy, but nobody entirely understands the mechanism by which that happens, when it happens, or why it happens sometimes and not other times.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I was walking around last night and it seemed like every fourth or fifth person had a super hosed up cough. Normal!

Tzen posted:

And as always it's in that weird "if you see somebody wearing a mask, it's probably because they're all hosed up and sad" framing. You can't just not want to get covid on its own merits, there's got to be more to the story

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Morbus posted:

It is believed that new world apes including humans

Morbus slipping on taxonomy.

Sad!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

i think this was only for the original series. According to this site (linked from the CDC’s page):

quote:

authorized for use under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to provide a two-dose primary series for active immunization to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in individuals 12 years of age and older. The Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted is also authorized to provide a first booster dose at least 6 months after completion of primary vaccination with an authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine to individuals 18 years of age and older for whom an FDA-authorized mRNA bivalent COVID-19 booster vaccine is not accessible or clinically appropriate, and to individuals 18 years of age and older who elect to receive the Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted because they would otherwise not receive a booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
So you can get a single dose of Novavax if you would otherwise refuse any other booster at all (at least back when the only boosters were bivalent mrna or nothing). So just tell your doc ‘the mRNA kicked my rear end I’m not getting another one if I have to use that’ and you should be good.

quote:

If you're an adult who can't get or doesn't want an mRNA bivalent booster, the Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine, Adjuvanted is available as a first booster, no matter which primary vaccine you received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Morbus posted:

Nobody knows for sure. Empirically, tick bites, or lifestyle/location factors that predispose one to them, are definitely a risk factor. Some other parasites and vector-borne diseases have been implicated, and even bee stings, but tick bites are the best supported cause right now. Some people with alpha-gal allergy have no known history of being bitten by a tick, but of course many (most?) tick bites go unnoticed.

Many people have anti alpha-gal antibodies, and these are believed/known to be protective against many vector-borne diseases and even some non vector-borne diseases (funnily enough, there is even a paper or two out there indicating a protective effect against SARS-CoV-2, but idk). It is believed that new world apes including humans lost the ability to make alpha-gal specifically so their immune systems could safely produce such antibodies. This makes it possible to develop an alpha-gal allergy, but nobody entirely understands the mechanism by which that happens, when it happens, or why it happens sometimes and not other times.

One of life's many, many mysteries.

While reading more about the allergy I found out about a similar allergy called Pork-Cat syndrome which I only bring up because of its name is silly.