Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If they take Opytne then Bakhmut will be kindly screwed and shouldn't last the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

the popes toes posted:

If they take Opytne then Bakhmut will be kindly screwed and shouldn't last the year.

Wrong Opytne. This one is just north of Donetsk.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Different one, there's at least two Opytne

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

the popes toes posted:

this is the Opytne which if captured allows Ukraine to move on the donetsk airport and cause an irreversible escalation of pants making GBS threads

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

this is the Opytne which if captured allows Ukraine to move on the donetsk airport and cause an irreversible escalation of pants making GBS threads

What’s so important about the Donetsk airport?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Arivia posted:

What’s so important about the Donetsk airport?

Extremely important symbolic victory for Ukraine if captured. The Ukrainian fighters that fought against the Russians there in 2014-2015 got the nickname among the population as "Cyborgs" and get treated with a level of reverence in Ukrainian society that you see with things like the veterans that landed on Normandy, Battle of Britain pilots, etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Battle_of_Donetsk_Airport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Donetsk_Airport

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 11, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Extremely important symbolic victory for Ukraine if captured. The Ukrainian fighters that fought against the Russians there in 2014-2015 got the nickname among the population as "Cyborgs"

How likekly is it?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ukraine made a movie about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyborgs_(film)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

redshirt posted:

How likekly is it?

DeepState has confirmed Ukraine at least partially controls Opytne so I'd say it's a lot more likely than I would have said last week, or any point from 2015 until now

E: these are areas Ukraine has not controlled since 2014/2015. They've been out of Ukrainian control for a long time and that Ukraine is making significant advances and liberating places there is itself significant

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 11, 2023

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Ikasuhito posted:

Flavahbeast posted:

Ah, that's too bad. I sure would like to see Bakhmut go blue and yellow again. It would be a thing.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

any good? available on FREEVEE

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Runa posted:

Lula's position would be more understandable if Russia and Putin in particular had any value as an ally right now

Gotta sell out ahead of time, get the good seats for when Russia actually isn't just leaving their closest allies in the cold and making them run to Russia's rivals.

Of course Lula is a pathetic sack of poo poo with zero principles.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I remember watching the video of the last holdouts at donetsk in 2014, surrounded and being shot to hell, singing in unison in defiance of their coming defeat.

Taking it back is an incredibly important emotional victory.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

Extremely important symbolic victory for Ukraine if captured. The Ukrainian fighters that fought against the Russians there in 2014-2015 got the nickname among the population as "Cyborgs" and get treated with a level of reverence in Ukrainian society that you see with things like the veterans that landed on Normandy, Battle of Britain pilots, etc

Lieutenant General Yevhen Moisiuk, now the Deputy C-in-C of the Ukrainian armed forces, was the commander responsible for the staunch defense of the airport to the last. He got his promotion just the year before Puccia invaded the country.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There appears to be a string of lakes between Opytne and Donetsk airport. I think it's going to be a serious fight getting past those

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Nessus posted:

Sounds like Ukraine should send their greatest warrior or crafter on the "Orlanth Discovers Economical AA Technology" heroquest imo.

Everyone should contribute cows to this vital quest as soon as possible.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Everyone should contribute cows to this vital quest as soon as possible.

Does this include the goon who wanted to kill and eat a cow in a backyard?

Shitfucker posted:

You know how people have pig roasts with a pig on a stick over a fire? Well I want to do that but with a cow, in my backyard, in suburban columbus,OH for a party. I can obtain a reasonably healthy cow from a friend for $200 and I know some hunters who would be willing to dress the carcass. So i guess, what would be the lagality of doing this in my backyard, I have no where else to do it.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

that soccer thing was dumb as gently caress

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nessus posted:

Sounds like Ukraine should send their greatest warrior or crafter on the "Orlanth Discovers Economical AA Technology" heroquest imo.

Given the great dronening of Pskov airbase, I'm pretty sure that quest succeeded beyond all expectations bro

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Buy more arrows

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Molothecat posted:

No, you are confused it's the other football.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Molothecat posted:

:haw:, but also I thought it was fine, I'm not a handegg guy but I enjoy seeing things through other lenses. and I certainly don't want to discourage effortposts in here!

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
This has probably already been answered in this huge thread I have not followed, BUT...

That planned Ukrainian naval drone attack that failed because the internet went down: Do we have any idea of the intended scale of it and what success might have meant wrt concrete damage done and its likely effect on Russian sea power and overall strength?

I.e., was it a bfd that it failed, or a relatively small one? In the best case scenario, could it have weakened Russia's position significantly and for some time, or would it have been more of a blip on the radar, at best?

A link of any kind would be great, because I'm sure these sorts of questions would already have been answered, if possible. Or do we not really know anything about the operation in question beyond what Isaacson reported?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

marshalljim posted:

This has probably already been answered in this huge thread I have not followed, BUT...

That planned Ukrainian naval drone attack that failed because the internet went down: Do we have any idea of the intended scale of it and what success might have meant wrt concrete damage done and its likely effect on Russian sea power and overall strength?

I.e., was it a bfd that it failed, or a relatively small one? In the best case scenario, could it have weakened Russia's position significantly and for some time, or would it have been more of a blip on the radar, at best?

A link of any kind would be great, because I'm sure these sorts of questions would already have been answered, if possible. Or do we not really know anything about the operation in question beyond what Isaacson reported?

Nobody knows because the Ukrainians never said anything about it. It was a mystery at the time and people largely forgot about it until Musk started bragging that he had defeated the Ukrainians at Russian request.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Blistex posted:

If I were Putin, I'd abandon all occupied territory and fall back to Crimea. Fortify the poo poo out of it, and put every free SAM along its coast, and hope that Western support wanes, and people start telling Ukraine to just forget about Crimea and sign something. Then declare victory and have a fatal poop related fall.

What I think Putin will do is bleed his military dry and Ukraine will take Crimea at a heavy cost instead of an abhorrent cost.

The problem for Russia is that everybody knows by now that it's just a pause while they regain strength. In a few years they'll be back for round two three.
Russia takes a slice of salami every few years. This is just the first time they got more than a "tut-tut" from the west. And even then, only because Ukraine resisted better than expected AND the UK pushed the rest of NATO into providing actual help, instead of 5k helmets and some bandages.

Western support isn't going away and Ukraine isn't goin to stop until they get all their land back. "Letting the nazi's have the Sudetenland and then they'll stop." Didn't work for Hitler and hasn't worked for stopping Putin.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 11, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

And russia/pucia already did the "pullback and fortify" thing and Ukraine is currently smashing through that.

Piling up all their AA in Crimea just puts it all in HIMARS and future F-16 HARM range.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The problem for Russia is that everybody knows by now that it's just a pause while they regain strength. In a few years they'll be back for round two three.
Russia takes a slice of salami every few years. This is just the first time they got more than a "tut-tut" from the west. And even then, only because Ukraine resisted better than expected AND the UK pushed the rest of NATO into providing actual help, instead of 5k helmets and some bandages.

Western support isn't going away and Ukraine isn't goin to stop until they get all their land back. "Letting the nazi's have the Sudetenland and then they'll stop." Didn't work for Hitler and hasn't worked for stopping Putin.

reminder that germany did actually send 5000 helmets and had to be shamed heavily into sending actual arms

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/26/russia-ukraine-germany-under-pressure-to-back-eu-military-training-mission-in-ukraine

just to give some context for why anyone curious why specifically 5000 helmets was mentioned

quote:

This article is more than 1 year old
Germany’s offer to Ukraine of 5,000 helmets is ‘joke’, says Vitali Klitschko
This article is more than 1 year old
Kyiv mayor ‘left speechless’ as Berlin faces pressure from other EU members to back military training mission

Daniel Boffey in Brussels and Philip Oltermann in Berlin
Wed 26 Jan 2022 13.23 EST
Germany’s approach to the Russian threat to Ukraine has been described as a “joke” after Berlin responded to requests for arms by offering 5,000 protective helmets.

Vitali Klitschko, the mayor of Kyiv and a former world heavyweight boxing champion, who previously lived in Germany, said he could not understand the lack of support.

“The behaviour of the German government leaves me speechless,” he told the newspaper Bild. “The defence ministry apparently hasn’t realised that we are confronted with perfectly equipped Russian forces that can start another invasion of Ukraine at any time. What kind of support will Germany send next, pillows?”

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

marshalljim posted:

This was one of the drones that washed ashore after the failed Starlink comms allowing the Russians to study it intact. It allowed them time to set up naval nets around Sevastopol, other ports, and the bridges to avert more drone attacks.

The Black Sea fleet launches cruise missiles at Ukrainian cities, guards the naval supply lines to the southern theater, and blockades the shipping corridor that's continuing to cause food crises in Africa. So yeah, sinking it in a surprise attack would have been a bfd.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Ah, but have you considered how Russia conveniently fits into my grievance structures?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Western support isn't going away and Ukraine isn't going to stop until they get all their land back.

I wish those two things were carved in stone but they are very much not. Just for one (and the most important) there's an election in the US next November and if one side wins then that's it for Ukraine - They're hosed. There's already a fair bit of western pressure for a negotiated settlement that sees Ukraine go back to something like the pre 2020 border and while they won't accept it now who can say what they'll accept after another year or two of war?

This war is not likely to end any time soon and democracies can be fickle. Fingers crossed both of things remain true but they're not things we can just assume beyond the near future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RBA-Wintrow posted:

This is just the first time they got more than a "tut-tut" from the west. And even then, only because Ukraine resisted better than expected AND the UK pushed the rest of NATO into providing actual help, instead of 5k helmets and some bandages.

While the UK was definitely at the forefront of providing lethal aid to Ukraine, this is a mischaracterization of events. They absolutely weren't the only ones in NATO doing it or advocating for it.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Ikasuhito posted:

Flavahbeast posted:

An Opytne-al illusion? :dadjoke:

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Nessus posted:

Ukraine just did the Issaries heroquest and they united pretty much the entire western faction. They should probably wait at least 2 years before their next one or they might get lost in time and space.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Modi 4D capture of russian oil reserves == Hero of Ukraine??

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 11, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

HonorableTB posted:

What the gently caress, these articles are written terribly and without a pretense of neutrality. I read them despite being aware of the battles because I thought I might learn something. The first is especially galling because it goes out of its way to repeatedly talk about the "pro-russian forces" and then in the last paragraph is like "oh btw the ~pro-russian forces~ lost about 40 people, 34 of whom were confirmed to be russian." Ahhh yes, I see now, they supported russia because they were loving russian invaders almost exclusively, good work calling them insurgents and separatists and "pro-russian forces" throughout the article.

Second isn't any better, someone shoehorns in poo poo like "30 people died, including one member of the right brigade" over and over in the article. :rolleyes:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
such a principled and unconstitutional stance against US imperialism :shrek:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dwesa posted:

such a principled and unconstitutional stance against US imperialism :shrek:

lol

anyway,

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao

lula: "sorry sorry im deleting it sorry"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, and clearly it was the "thickheaded goons who do not understand world politics" who said that Lula was an idiot to say something like that in the first place.

Maybe Party Ape can write another 5000-word epic using NASCAR and wrestling as metaphors for explaining us lesser beings how Lula being sorry for saying stupid Putin-supporting things actually means Lula isn't sorry and how this just makes Putin's regime and bitcoin stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL
It's obvious that Lula just needs to sit down with the judiciary and explain why it is really important for Brazil FC that Russia Rovers don't go down this season.