Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I can't even get past the "A verification code has been sent to your email" boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:pressf:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah it, uh, does not bode well for the release which is rapidly approaching that they're still having these problems. Had a hell of a time making an account and managing to get signed into it yesterday, too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

don't get me wrong, the game will guaranteed have server issues on launch. that is to be expected with any online game. that said it is a months old build and not at all updated since the closed beta so i don't know how telling it is that there's "still" connections issues and such. on the other hand maybe the issues are all server side in rich case yeah that would be bad but also what the point of a stress test is so idk, guess we'll have to wait and see.

also i don't really think using a way old build for the beta in order to prevent or minimize leaks, or whatever their reasons were, is a worth the worse first impressions it inevitably leaves on people but maybe they had good reasons. i'm not a professional developer or marketer

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Got in about an hour ago and played the single heist available. Quite nice, didn't have login issues. If this is an early build I can't wait to play the full version with Goons

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah the games themselves have been fine so I'm not super concerned, I actually just had a great one with a crew who all knew what to do and felt awesome to clear it with minimal trouble.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
How does the special deposit box work? Does only the player who finds the intel know which box is the special one? We opened the whole room yesterday and got nothing that seemed out of the ordinary.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

PantsOptional posted:

How does the special deposit box work? Does only the player who finds the intel know which box is the special one? We opened the whole room yesterday and got nothing that seemed out of the ordinary.

Yeah, uh... when you get the intel, the correct box is outlined. Not spawned in, just outlined. You can grab the special loot without finding the intel on it and the announcer will still go "man these guys have some interesting security things, keep that handy". It's also loose loot, so no throwing it around like bags.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I got into a heist lobby and there was a dude who clearly hacked himself up to level 231,895

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The overkill weapon concept is growing on me, it's fun having the grenade launcher airdropped in for the last big holdout. Also the ragdolls good in this, running around popping headshots with the shotgun is pretty satisfying.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The changes in how armor works now is going to be absolute hell to balance but I like it, you're a lot more durable before you go down and then when you drop you go down harder. Trading hostages for time and resources is pretty cool now, stops you from having just a dragon's hoard of hostages sitting around. Unlimited cable ties is great too, should have been there from the start so that solo stealth isn't just a murder spree.

The guns seem weaker overall but also they're unmodded so...

I do hope that the rest of the heists match up with the first where they aren't all a game of "where do we put the drill and wait".

I'll buy it but I swear to god if they try to do "The Big Secret" poo poo again I'm not even going to look at it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 10, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Is anyone willing to make a payday 3 thread OP?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'll buy it but I swear to god if they try to do "The Big Secret" poo poo again I'm not even going to look at it.

Even I'm pretty sick of the ARG stuff by this point.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

If you don't think they are going to have a secret, I don't know what to tell you. They are gonna have a secret. It was reasonably popular through two of the two paydays. It's very likely they will want to continue that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Legit Businessman posted:

If you don't think they are going to have a secret, I don't know what to tell you. They are gonna have a secret. It was reasonably popular through two of the two paydays. It's very likely they will want to continue that.

It might have been popular but I can't comprehend why. It was cool at the start when it was hinting these things from a tarot book and level design and then in reality it wasn't even possible to solve til several years of paid DLC went by.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i really quite dislike when a game is said to have a huge hidden secret or easter egg and it turns out that oh yeah it's not implemented yet maybe in the future! :)

just really hard to get invested in that, especially when players (and people who make videos) keep referring to it as a huge mystery that's been unsolved for X years! like yeah because there is no solution yet or possibly ever

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Did about 10 runs of the one map in the demo and I liked it. There should be some sort of tutorial on how to do things in silent mode but all in all a solid game. It shows what a difference coordination does, some runs were utter shitshows, some were smooth.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

It might have been popular but I can't comprehend why. It was cool at the start when it was hinting these things from a tarot book and level design and then in reality it wasn't even possible to solve til several years of paid DLC went by.

Everyone wants to feel smart and clever. All of these ARGS always promise that, and then by the time it becomes a slog, you're too invested in it to back out.

And for the very few on the cutting edge, you actually do feel smart and clever. Right, Finale? :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The ARG must have not really affected the game that much because I have no idea what you all are talking about.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

explosivo posted:

The ARG must have not really affected the game that much because I have no idea what you all are talking about.

in payday 1 the secret is overdrill, in payday 2 it's the secret ending. now that it exists it's pretty fun but extremely obtuse to even attempt without a guide and a mod unless you like translating conlangs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Legit Businessman posted:

Everyone wants to feel smart and clever. All of these ARGS always promise that, and then by the time it becomes a slog, you're too invested in it to back out.

And for the very few on the cutting edge, you actually do feel smart and clever. Right, Finale? :v:

I felt smart when I figured out the algol connection, when the Diamond Heist DLC came out and I worked out the thematic connections there. But that was nine loving years ago, and the last part of the secret that was actually deliberately designed from the start that wasn't immediately worked out. Because it's GaaS, everything afterward was a horrendous improvised mess that made no sense and served as streamer bait (not even very good streamer bait). "Algol" wound up being a randomly chosen answer for a giant, repetitive puzzle wheel implemented four years after it was solved. It sucked.

Similarly with Payday the Heist, I figured out the pillar positions thing, but the other requirements and bad implementation meant that no one realized that I'd solved the remaining puzzle already- including me. Bo Andersson was literally begging people to go back and read my posts, and it's believed the devs had to leak the solution to some content creators to actually resolve that catastrophic mess.

ARGs for larger games are solved within hours by players hacking the game apart or googling/bruteforcing any involved puzzle elements. At the same time, they also draw in (and may worsen/cause) actual mental illness in people predisposed to it - "ARG" reddits and such are incredibly depressing repositories of false attribution and schizophrenia. We had to sort of talk around a whole stack of those people during the PD2 ARG. So, no, thanks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 10, 2023

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i think the mount chilliad "mystery" in GTA V is a prime example of that because by all accounts it's "solved", and if there is more to it then it isn't in the game and never will be. however almost a decade later there's still a dedicated community out there turning over stones and coming up with increasingly desperate and out there theories. beware the dog killer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I think the secret/"true" ending in payday 2 is bad writing and idiot poo poo for fuckers and that overkill didn't actually plan it from day 1. Overdrill was better and it didn't need 6 years of false hype that felt like the devs had to cobble something together to make a payoff instead of forgetting about it or saying it was all a ruse all along.

Also now I wonder if the walking dead had a secret/ARG and nobody found it because that game failed miserably.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

It really didn't, it was just a bonus thing.

The issue with it is that the devs put a lot of effort into all these documents and riddles at the start of the game in 2013 and heavily implied that it was a solvable puzzle if you were able to put all the pieces together. This turned out to be utter nonsense. You can't even attempt to solve the puzzle unless you play through the White House level, which was released in 2018. So it was a puzzle that wasn't solvable because the devs hadn't sold you all the pieces yet.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 10, 2023

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Actually the original planned ending for PD2 had the heisters getting teleported to another planet and having to solve some kind of trial or test while seperated. But I think they realized that creating four different trials and an entire set of alien planet temple assets for a level most players would never see was insane and cut it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The part of the it where there's a secret thing under the white house, where bain is resurrected and becomes president, appears to have always been planned. It's likely that the Elephant was going to play the role that the Dentist ultimately did; the Hope Diamond was probably going to be the only key/macguffin needed to get into the secret vault. The whole additional layer of the Dentist, Locke, Kataru and Three Kings, etc etc was improvised and stacked atop what had already been developed as the game kept getting DLC.

It appears likely that Bo Andersson was a personal fan of the paranormal poo poo; bear in mind that Bain was in some respects a self-insert for the guy. So we're hopefully not running into any of that in payday 3.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 10, 2023

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Vlad should come back even angrier/more insane than before and have a cryptocurrency heist IMO

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh yeah; Vlad being Cagliostro or something similar was probably always the plan, and Murkywater were always going to be the personal troops of the antagonist. A lot of those parts were set out at launch or shortly thereafter.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i just hope that maybe the commissar will have a chance to outsmart us again,

rear end in a top hat

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh yeah; Vlad being Cagliostro or something similar was probably always the plan, and Murkywater were always going to be the personal troops of the antagonist. A lot of those parts were set out at launch or shortly thereafter.

the murkywater people going from shady mercs to generic villain goons has always been the worst part of the supernatural storyline to me. just completely ruined any sort of appeal they had as a faction

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears likely that Bo Andersson was a personal fan of the paranormal poo poo; bear in mind that Bain was in some respects a self-insert for the guy. So we're hopefully not running into any of that in payday 3.
isn't bo out of the picture because of the whole insider trading thing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Yes, he left starbreeze years ago, although the criminal investigation didn't stick. He was actually involved at some level with wannabe game Crime Boss: Rockay City.

watho posted:

the murkywater people going from shady mercs to generic villain goons has always been the worst part of the supernatural storyline to me. just completely ruined any sort of appeal they had as a faction

Believe it or not the idea appears to have originally been that the Murkies were the elephant's freemason-eqsue government deniable ops people (back when the elephant was going to be the big bad). Word from the devs was that, even back in Shadow Raid, the Artifact loot was apparently a deliberate choice to point toward the ancient aliens garbage.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Coolguye posted:

now to be fair, he was the insider information that was being used to trade, he wasn't doing the insider trading. now that whole situation was caused by him using overkill stock that he knew was gonna tank as collateral for loans for his other company which the bankers who issued the loan then decided to do said insider trading with.

it's a lot

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

watho posted:

The whole game's logic is so surreal that adding explicit supernatural elements is kind of like a hat-on-a-hat.

I still like my headcanon: the characters are all trapped inside Payday as the result of a twilight zone/monkey's paw/layer of hell ironic punishment, where they are the greatest most dangerous immortal heisters of all time and the storyline becoming more off the wall is either the punishment sphere losing respect for the heisters and just throwing less coherent poo poo at them or the heisters brains decaying as they become more and more detached from reality after killing hundreds of guys to steal 15,000 dollars of junk from a coffee shop for the 1,000th time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hey I played payday 2 for the first time today in like 2 years. A couple different people all got disconnected at various points and then couldn't rejoin the game afterwards. This didn't happen years and years ago when I used to play. Is this a new thing that happens now?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hey I played payday 2 for the first time today in like 2 years. A couple different people all got disconnected at various points and then couldn't rejoin the game afterwards. This didn't happen years and years ago when I used to play. Is this a new thing that happens now?

Sounds like the secret to me. :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Nah, the network code has always been held together by thoughts and prayers unfortunately. I've had issues in my group where if two specific players joined a heist, the whole lobby fell apart. Patched out, patched in, we just took the risk every time. We always assumed that it was something to do with their ISP, since they lived close to eachother so maybe they had the same public IP, but no other games had this issue.

I am glad to see that Payday 3 still has connection issues :v: As we had to reset the game twice to even get 4 people into a lobby. I know this was an early build with the idea to stress test the servers and it was a solid foundation to build on, I just loving hope they DID build on it. The guns felt nice, except for the pistol, which felt a bit too dinky, the game ran fine, the animations are very nice, the AI is clearly improved and back to being a threat, overall the heist felt a bit more like Payday 1 than 2. Yeah the hostage mechanics and the callouts for assaults are back, and this time the AI doesn't get lost and run over the map like headless chickens in the calm moments, they actually gently caress off. Overall the game feels more engaging without being annoying, a good direction to go.
Here's hoping!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hi all, as we venture into a bold new world of clicking law enforcement, don't forget the Co-op goons Discord server has been set up to provide a common space to find fellow goon cop clickers- a far more pleasant experience than touching the public lobby stove.

Co-op goons Discord
https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi all, as we venture into a bold new world of clicking law enforcement, don't forget the Co-op goons Discord server has been set up to provide a common space to find fellow goon cop clickers- a far more pleasant experience than touching the public lobby stove.

Co-op goons Discord
https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Oh you know, follow the OP:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
At least the AI carry the things I throw at them.

I played some of the old VR PayDay2 and it was still pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also a Dev diary dropped last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQK7qekPsc

The structure feels very Payday 1-like, there's an order to heists, something that was added wayyyyy to late into PD2, but it seems to take inspiration from the new Hitman where there are small cutscenes between each heist. Also the music is supposed to be 50% Payday 1, 20% Payday 2 and 30% Gustavo :v:

As release draws near I am kinda on the fence if six big heists will be enough content at the start. I hope we don't only get bank and gallery robbery, I liked the more out-there heists as well. Mallcrashers, Watchdogs or the first 2 days of Framing Frame were great changes of pace to the formula of "show up to a joint, case and clear it". Hell, despite all their shotcomings, most of which were adressed and improved with time, the Transport heists were a great addition and what really pulled me into the game.
I also hope the escapes are back, noone mentioned them, I know they got mixed reception, but the extra tension they add to a heist was great! Now that Pro jobs are a thing of the past we could repeat them, especially with seeded RNG you could pull through with enough grit.

I am getting unreasonably hyped for this, gently caress.