Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

That's the same thing that was said in every other historic moral dog panic. The hard-nosed Teuton breeds his dogs not to feel pain and to love the taste of Belgian infants.

Mastiffs have a massively higher bite force than pitbulls, over 550 psi against 240-330, were bred for baiting lions, and also instinctively lock, but we haven't had a mastiff dog panic since the 70s.

These American Bully XLs are Pitbulls bred with Mastiffs, such as Cane Corsos, or American Bulldogs.

One of the traits pitbulls were historically selected for in their breeding was resistance to pain and determination to stay on the bull.

e: fakesnipe have a Cane Corso

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
One time I was walking my parents' dog, a little king charles spaniel, and this other dog about twice its size (so still fairly small) came absolutely bolting towards her and I quickly put myself between them so the other dog skidded to a halt against my shin then wandered off when I shooed it away.

After that whenever the kids who'd been walking that dog saw me they'd point me out as "That's the guy who kicked our dog!" :(

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

My clueless lap dog Pomeranian (see my av) still has a prey drive. And also tries to get all up in other dog’s faces because they’re bigger than her and she wants to scare them off.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Well Trained Dogs Act. You have to be either able to show your dog is well trained (eg responds to commands, not excessively aggressive, etc) or you are actively attending dog training. If your dog is reported as an issue and fails an obedience test then you have a defined period to attend classes and pass a retest, or you lose the dog.

Oh I see, a new paper bag test

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

ah yes, the minority of people who have issues with dogs because of past incidents should just go gently caress themselves

Yes that calm reflective post on a poster's worries about dog control definitely seemed worthy of this analysis and response!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

ah yes, the minority of people who have issues with dogs because of past incidents should just go gently caress themselves

What’s your alternative suggestion? I’m sorry if my extremely tame, literally never nipped or growled at anyone in her life, 8 year old Labrador coming up to give you a sniff scares you, genuinely, but that’s life. Sometimes you’ll have to go through things you don’t love because society can’t be expected to adapt to every single fear people have.

Make people who are scared of dogs walk round in big cages like an armoured zorb is what I’m really saying

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

What’s your alternative suggestion? I’m sorry if my extremely tame, literally never nipped or growled at anyone in her life, 8 year old Labrador coming up to give you a sniff scares you, genuinely, but that’s life. Sometimes you’ll have to go through things you don’t love because society can’t be expected to adapt to every single fear people have.

Make people who are scared of dogs walk round in big cages like an armoured zorb is what I’m really saying

uh keep your dog on a lead? it’s not exactly a hard alternative to come up with

thinking that your freedom to let your dog roam is more important than other peoples’ freedoms to not have panic attacks is really making you sound like a Tory

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jippa posted:

Content Warning: Dog attack/ Don't click unless you want to be depressed.

I wish I hadn’t clicked that :cry:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

All this chat has reminded me of a BBC "documentary" called something like 'my dog is my weapon'.

Most of the owners were prime dickheads but one lad has a rottie who would return on command even if the other dogs were being aggressive towards it. Later in the show you saw why, the owner loved his dog, took care of it, and trained it.

Again, no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Is it legal to genetically modify my dog to spit Fluoroantimonic acid? Obviously it is morally correct as all dogs are the same, but what does the law say?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

uh keep your dog on a lead? it’s not exactly a hard alternative to come up with

thinking that your freedom to let your dog roam is more important than other peoples’ freedoms to not have panic attacks is really making you sound like a Tory

Knew that was coming. No, sorry, my dog’s happiness at being able to run around in the park is more important to me than that, particularly if they’re going to act like a oval office about it like you do about almost everything.

E: particularly given that in my lifetime of dog ownership this has never happened. I’m sure it does but the fact you want all dogs leashed because an extreme minority are scared of them is beyond ridiculous.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

Knew that was coming. No, sorry, my dog’s happiness at being able to run around in the park is more important to me than that, particularly if they’re going to act like a oval office about it like you do about almost everything.

E: particularly given that in my lifetime of dog ownership this has never happened. I’m sure it does but the fact you want all dogs leashed because an extreme minority are scared of them is beyond ridiculous.

lol wanting people who might have PTSD because of a previous dog attack to feel safe is “acting like a oval office”, got it got it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is a part of it, they are bought by people who want a dangerous dog. But there is another important part that is often forgotten and has me rolling my eyes at all the poo poo people say about "little dogs being more likely to bite" or pointing to historic moral panics about dogs:

Ok here he go, I'm gonna go by the American Pitbull here as while no breed exists called the Pitbull but the American Pitbull it probably what you meant and there is lots of data we can look at.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

When worst comes to worst, If a little dog, or a German Shepard, or a Doberman bites someone, they can be pulled away, or fought against, or even recalled by their owner. It is rarely going to be a big deal. Maybe a few stitches at most.

A German Shepard has a stronger PSI bite than an American Pitbulls, a Doberman a tiny bit less. We have lots of fatality figures from both German Shepard's and Dobermans are you just gonna pretend they didn't happen?There was a strong push to ban both in the 80s because of it.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Physically, their jaws lock on and they have incredibly overstrength jaws,

Complete myth. Jaws are similar to other breeds of their size , they don't have some special lock on mechanism and their PSI is similar to that of similar size breeds

Brendan Rodgers posted:

which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*.

There is effective no dog that exists today that was used for bullbaiting, many of them have ancestors that were, but those breeds effectively don't exist anymore , dogs are incredibly maluable when it comes to breeding, the barely able to breath English bulldog also share that ancestor as do a lot of others that no one brings up as dangerous.

There are breeds that were breed for dog fighting though, some still are including the American Pitbull.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.

Myth. Its nonsense, It's a tenatious breed but so are hundreds of other similar guard and police dogs. You can find hundreds of videos of people trying to hit a police dog off them to no avail.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

*There are genuinely people who believe they were bred for nannying children. Nannying them right into the grave perhaps. Insane propaganda.

Now this is true, the nanny stuff is silly and made up.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The private hairdresser my mum goes to has two big dogs who are among the more aggressive/less chill big dog breeds, but genuinely loves them a lot and does lots of training courses with them and takes them to dog spas and whatnot. Anyway one time apparently she was walking the dogs on a leash in the wild, but unmuzzled because it was too hot, and one of them got scared by a slowly passing cyclist and bit him in the leg, making him crash and drawing blood to the point where he needed stitches.

The funny part of the story is that she got upset at the guy for being a big baby who was freaking out and made her drive him to a hospital. He didn't even report it to police or anything lmbo.

In summary some dog owners can be pretty unreasonable.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 11, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dog owners, tenfold, tend to be worse in every single aspect than cat owners. Namaste.

Without doubt, half of the dog owning population are utter cunts who shouldn't have pets.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

lol wanting people who might have PTSD because of a previous dog attack to feel safe is “acting like a oval office”, got it got it

You’re one of those people who also want to ban fireworks and balloons aren’t you.

E: My PTSD is triggered by the police, which actually should be banned.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Jakabite posted:

You’re one of those people who also want to ban fireworks and balloons aren’t you.

E: My PTSD is triggered by the police, which actually should be banned.
To be fair I have heard of dog owners who want to ban fireworks.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jakabite posted:

Maybe you should have trained your dog to have good recall, and not to approach strangers. This is dog training 101 ffs.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I've never run anyone over while drink driving, so I should be allowed to do it and if that scares you that's your problem.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

keep punching joe posted:

I dunno, papillons or chihuahuas or something else that's small and weak.

My papillon absolutely has prey instincts, and the neighborhood chihuahuas are the meanest bunch, don't trust any of them. Small and weak is true though (please don't let that mean goon kick my dog).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TACD posted:

I wish I hadn’t clicked that :cry:

It wasn't the first time either. Also attacked a person during that. It should've been put down the first time it happened IMO.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JoylessJester posted:

I've never run anyone over while drink driving, so I should be allowed to do it and if that scares you that's your problem.

A dog in a park = drunk driving :rolleyes:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jakabite posted:

I'm all for off leash walking. But it is fair that people expect you should have good recall so you can call them away from anyone who doesn't look comfortable.

JoylessJester posted:

This made me chuckle though, don't know if genuine or parodying Daily Mail but funny regardless.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I think it’s unreasonable to ask all dog owners to only walk on lead all the time, but it’s also pretty lovely as a dog owner to not understand that some people are poo poo scared of dogs.

If you’re a dog owner, train your dog not to approach random people and don’t let them off lead when there’s loads of people about

If you’re fearful of dogs or have PTSD, maybe don’t hang around in the parks that people walk their dogs off lead in

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I think it’s unreasonable to ask all dog owners to only walk on lead all the time, but it’s also pretty lovely as a dog owner to not understand that some people are poo poo scared of dogs.

If you’re a dog owner, train your dog not to approach random people and don’t let them off lead when there’s loads of people about

If you’re fearful of dogs or have PTSD, maybe don’t hang around in the parks that people walk their dogs off lead in

This is my take summed up more calmly than if JC hadn’t blustered in being an aggro prick as usual.

My dog has good recall, and if someone doesn’t look like they want to be approached they won’t be. A lot of people do in fact want to be approached though :woof:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jakabite posted:

A lot of people do in fact want to be approached though :woof:

And this is the flipside of things. People need to be more aware that they should be asking the dog owner if they can come up and pet them first, rather than automatically going OOH DOGGY COME HERE!!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Aphex- posted:

And this is the flipside of things. People need to be more aware that they should be asking the dog owner if they can come up and pet them first, rather than automatically going OOH DOGGY COME HERE!!

My partner did this while we were out day drinking once. German shepherd nipped them and put a small hole in their hand. We reassured the owner and the dog it was fine and then got a bus to the hospital. Oh how we laughed

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

From whatever the West is threatened by of course. You can probably BYOB (last B for bigotry)

rampant canine mischief from what i can gather itt

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Aphex- posted:

Absolutely, plus generally people are total poo poo at reading dog body language. There’s generally a lot of warning signs leading up to a dog doing something aggressive or bad, but most people don’t read the behaviour beforehand so they think it’s out of the blue.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Aphex- posted:

I had a little girl ask this the other day. It was very sweet and I commended her on her manners asking first. She giggled with delight when I put a treat in her hand and showed her some simple commands my dog will do.

On the flip side complete adult strangers will bend right down to my dogs face to pet her and make a fuss without asking or even acknowledging me. Putting your face next to a dog's mouth you do not know without checking with the owner is colossally stupid thing to do, but it happens a few times a week.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Almost as if there's an entire sub-forum for people to talk about dogs & other pets.

So to at least try & take the thread away from what will end up being an 18 page, 3 day long diversion where everyone talks past everyone else, I see the HMV bid to take over half of the Wilkos stores has been turned down, so that's the workers hosed.

And also Lord Agnew has come out and said that when he was a Minister during the May years the Treasury refused to front up money outside of the standard Education budget for the schools that desperately needed to replace RAAC. What a farce.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Diet Crack posted:

Dog owners, tenfold, tend to be worse in every single aspect than cat owners. Namaste.

Dogs have owners; cats have staff.

forkboy84 posted:

I see the HMV bid to take over half of the Wilkos stores has been turned down, so that's the workers hosed.

Wife is incredibly excited that the nearest Wilko has something like a 1-in-8 chance of becoming a B&M.
Places like B&M started doing hardware and DIY stuff and did it okay, whereas places like Wilko started doing general bargain poo poo and didn't do it as well as the others.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mega Comrade posted:

People were screaming for the Staffordshire bull terrier to be banned a couple years ago. Now the number of incidents linked to them has fallen despite their ownership numbers barely moving. Its now the Bully XL that has caught the Daily Mails eye.
It was Rottweilers and dobermans when I was growing up that was the evil dog breed.

There are certain types of owners who want strong powerful breeds and want them to act aggressive. You can't solve that problem with a banned breed list.

Yeah, I was watching one of those "what would happen if human beings magically vanished from the face of the earth" documentaries which had some Texan bloke slobbering on about how his favourite super awesome dog breed (the Lacy) was part wolf and would totally survive and thrive and eat all the other domestic pets then mcgyver its way out of the house and become a nuclear power in its own right etc etc. It was the dog owner equivalent of the uzi-fondling loons who can't wait until they can get a chance to mow down the shambling urban zombie hordes.

Those docs are usually just fun to watch streets flood and buildings collapse, but I'd rather not think about the fate of the vast majority of pets in that scenario thanks. Though the ex-Royal corgi packs hunting through crumbling London were amusing.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

From whatever the West is threatened by of course. You can probably BYOB (last B for bigotry)

I miss the era when the West was in a fundamental clash of civilisations with militant Islam and all the gobshite commentators on TV were constantly holding forth about how, unlike Europe, the Arab world never had a Reformation, which helps to explain why etc etc etc.

A simpler, easier time :)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

10 years to save the west from what?
'woke'

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Almost as if there's an entire sub-forum for people to talk about dogs & other pets.

So to at least try & take the thread away from what will end up being an 18 page, 3 day long diversion where everyone talks past everyone else,

Spoil sport!!!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

I got the gift of Clostridium tetani from a cat puncture. Fortunately my vaccines are up to date so it just made the area of my leg swell up.

I got bit by a furry little shithead who sneaked into my kitchen then freaked out when the catflap jammed behind him. Arm swelled up like he was a cobra not a fat little ginger cat.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

If a pitbull does that to you, you will lose a limb, or you will die, and the same for anyone trying to help you. They can chew off a bodybuilders arm at the bicep. Physically, their jaws lock on, and they have incredibly overstrength jaws, which they needed for the bloodsport known as "bull baiting", which was their purpose*. Psychologically, they will not stop, they will only become more determined the more you try to stop them. They don't even really feel pain like other dogs do.

*There are genuinely people who believe they were bred for nannying children. Nannying them right into the grave perhaps. Insane propaganda.

There used to be a lot of trouble with bulls attacking children you see. Herds of them, roaming the streets, hunting for kids to trample and china shops to ruin. Do you want to see those days again? Save our pit bulls!

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 11, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There's also a real issue with dog owners systematically going to nature reserves (not dog parks) and refusing to keep their dog on the lead. It causes real disturbance to wildlife. All 'keep on lease' signs will at best be ignore, but most likely vandalized. It's not even a minority - in 'dogs on leads' areas it's almost impossible to find dogs on leads.

Plus dogs are doused in ultra potent anti-flea chemicals, then let loose in ponds and rivers, killing off masses of invertebrates.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/17/pet-flea-treatments-poisoning-rivers-across-england-scientists-find

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rylan bumps up against the shambles of the Tory NHS…

https://twitter.com/rylan/status/1701219552401428969?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

This is my take summed up more calmly than if JC hadn’t blustered in being an aggro prick as usual.

My dog has good recall, and if someone doesn’t look like they want to be approached they won’t be. A lot of people do in fact want to be approached though :woof:

I’m sure your dog is the goodest bestest dog on the whole loving planet but sadly there are other dogs who aren’t and if they’re all allowed to go rushing around everywhere off lead then bad things *will* happen

sorry that encouraging you to maybe spend half a second thinking about people and situations that aren’t you and yours is “being a aggro prick” I guess