Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm currently playing an engineer, but I'm only level 12 so its not really meaningfully different from other less complicated classes currently.

Still very playable and doesn't chew up a ton of power or anything.

If you give it a shot make sure to check the "auto login" checkbox on the launcher because that thing absolutely chugs for some weird reason. Runs way worse than the game itself oddly.

code:

-autologin -provider Portal

For your launch option will let you log in with your arenanet creds then skip it going forward if you don't have a steam account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have always said GW2 was the MMO most suited to a controller and it's such a great shame they never attempted a console version. Having now played FF14 on a controller for a couple of months has done nothing but reinforce that opinion tenfold.

FF14 on a controller is great. It's possible to play every job on the hardest content at the highest level. There are videos out there of players healing ultimate raid content with controllers. It takes some time and understanding but it's worth it. Some players make the switch and swear it is better than kbm.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

outside of gamepad on FFXIV I always feel like I must be doing something wrong with how hard a time I have simultaneously moving and pressing skill buttons. It shouldn't be that hard but it feels like playing piano, I've been doing this for ages and never got it down

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have always said GW2 was the MMO most suited to a controller and it's such a great shame they never attempted a console version. Having now played FF14 on a controller for a couple of months has done nothing but reinforce that opinion tenfold.

A well known commander in WvW, Bullyfoot of [Hate], commands using a controller. Here's a video of him talking about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8s6UUItUQA&t=6135s

He uses an xbox elite controller and uses a program called xpadder to map the keys.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yesterday I buckled down and spent 6 hours and completed Tangled Depths without Blish HUD as a personal challenge. :smug:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Old Boot posted:

This is partly why I stick with Necro. Complicated control schemes make my brain fritz out

It means classes with a ridiculously huge suite of options like Engineer

Engineer has a lot of options but once you are in combat your button selection is fairly limited.
I play engineer and i am garbage at these games, but fair decently well on engineer, which should say a lot about how easy it is.

With mech you don't have F1-F5 abilities, you don't have weapon swap, your special skills all give passive boosts so you try to avoid using them, so a grand total of 5 bottons to use. Necro has 20 (weapon x 2, F1-F5, specials)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Yeah but what if you're scrappin?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm currently playing an engineer, but I'm only level 12 so its not really meaningfully different from other less complicated classes currently.

Still very playable and doesn't chew up a ton of power or anything.

If you give it a shot make sure to check the "auto login" checkbox on the launcher because that thing absolutely chugs for some weird reason. Runs way worse than the game itself oddly.

code:
-autologin -provider Portal
For your launch option will let you log in with your arenanet creds then skip it going forward if you don't have a steam account.

The “-provider Portal” bit is only necessary if launching from Steam. As a warning, it will prevent access to any content bought through Steam, as Portal (first party anet accounts) and Steam accounts are separate.

e: Separate as in they’re different accounts. Steam and Portal users still play together on the same servers.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 10, 2023

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Reposting my Tyria Mastery effortpost from the previous thread, as someine in guild chat was asking how/where to get mastery points?
The list is out of date in that it does not have the Central Tyria mastery points added with PoF (or somewhere around there)

Incoming Tyria mastery effort post:

Here is the list of mastery points.

I categorized them below.
Easy ones are ones that you either get with little effort, you get "for free" from completing the story or ones that can easily be soloed they just take time
Medium are ones that require a bit more effort and planning but shouldn't be too difficult to complete.
Hard are ones that are actually hard
Stay away are masteries that are extremely difficult and/or expensive

You will need 49 Tyria points in total. If you do all the easy and medium ones you will get 53 which is more than enough. I recommend not doing Koutalophile, the Tequatl meta achievement and skip the fractal ones you aren't able to do in a few tries. Personally i was able to knock out all the fractal ones in a couple of hours in a SFD/GOON group.

Easy: (26 in total)
Koutalophile - can be time consuming depending on luck. One of the items requires spending a bunch of Laurels so save this one for later. I personally do not have this mastery.
Amber Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Cobalt Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Crimson Wurmslayer* - just show up to Triple Trouble meta event and kill the corresponding jungle worm head
Karka Queen Killer - just show up for the event and kill her
Ruler of Shinies - just show up for the event and kill her
Dive Master - just run around and do all the dives
Been There, Done That - explore the map!
Dungeons Discovered - do the dungeons!
Master of Heroics - get to level 80
Hidden Garden - do a easy jumping puzzle
Slaughter in the Swamp - just show up and kill Tequatl
The Annihilator - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Demolisher - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Executioner - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
The Tormentor - Just kill this dude in Silverwastes when he spawns
Triple Trouble* - Easy to do while you do the great jungle worm
Wurmicidal Maniac* - You get this for free when you have killed 3 different great jungle worm heads.
Story - 8 possible in total - I did not list all these are there are a ton. You will get 8 mastery points in total, out of 25 possible, as you will only get credit for completing the story on 1 race. Playing through the story once will gget you 8 mastery points "for free".

Medium (27 in total)
Living Season 2 (8 in total): Echoes of the Past Episode, Entanglement Episode, Gates of Maguuma Episode, Point of No Return Episode, Seeds of Truth Episode, Tangled Paths Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Episode, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Completed! - While this is PVE content a few of the encounters can be challenging if your build isn't very good.
Lion's Arch Exterminator - Requires a few tricky jumps, and to complete one of the Lion's Arch jumping puzzles
The Fractal ones (14 in total): Carrier Cacophony, Fancy Footwork, Flawless Fins Foil Foes, Holo-Hornpipe, Hop, Skip, and Jump, Horrik's Horror, If We Only Had Marshmallows, Open Grave, Out of Cluck, Shockwave Skipper, Subject 6 Deep-Sixer, Take a Bow, The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It., Weapons Tester - medium because they requires a group, some of them are only available for a short time, and some require you to get a group to want to do it.
Go for the Gold - Requires lots of creative jumps in Silverwastes (and a guide) (can't be done at the same time as the JP)
Retrospective Runaround - A jumping puzzle in Silverwastes with several challenging sections
The Be-All and the End-All - Kill all 4 different bosses in the Silverwastes, can be time consuming.
Tequatl the Sunless - requires you to do a difficult achievement to dodge Tequatls tail swipe. It is completely random whether you get it or not.

Hard (8 in total)
Living Season 2 meta achievements: Echoes of the Past Mastery, Entanglement Mastery, Gates of Maguuma Mastery, Point of No Return Mastery, Seeds of Truth Mastery, Tangled Paths Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 1 Mastery, The Dragon's Reach, Part 2 Mastery - Hard because many of the achievements are very hard, some are nigh impossible. You do not need to do any of the LS2 meta achievements if you do all the easy and medium masteries.

Stay away (6 in total)
The Emperor's New Wardrobe - It is like 500 gold + other resources to finish this one
Ambrite Weapon Collection - extremely time consuming
Ascended Accoutrement - extremely expensive
Bioluminescence - very time consuming
Fractal Master - mama mia
Gold Fractal Master - oh no, just don't

*I listed the great jungle worm masteries under easy. If you find an organized group to do this event these masteries are easy. The event itself is diffucult however and is not possible to do with people randomly showing up. The guild RnT organizes this event twice per day (on US realms). The event that is in the evenings for US time/morning for EU time was always successful in my experience, while the event in US mornings/EU evenings NEVER succeeded.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FlapYoJacks posted:

That’s not true. GW2 used to be floating bodies with no movement.

They were better because I didn't have to stand around for ten minutes waiting for voice lines to end

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I liked the novel art style too.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Also re: Mastery Points remember that you can add filters to the achievement panel to see only whatever MPs you want to see. It's very handy!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah the floating models in visual novel style scenes owned, both because you'd actually see big models and it was skippable

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah bring back the core cutscenes. As well as being skippable and getting to see the models, it had cool background art and you didn't have to watch them awkwardly try to animate stuff in engine.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Ineptitude posted:

Engineer has a lot of options but once you are in combat your button selection is fairly limited.
I play engineer and i am garbage at these games, but fair decently well on engineer, which should say a lot about how easy it is.

With mech you don't have F1-F5 abilities, you don't have weapon swap, your special skills all give passive boosts so you try to avoid using them, so a grand total of 5 bottons to use. Necro has 20 (weapon x 2, F1-F5, specials)

Yeah, you can play a low-intensity signet Mech (power or power /alac). Even set your pet skills to autocast if you want. Hammer mech is quite fun now, and does more damage than rifle.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I am in no way a fan of PvP but I absolutely agree it was leagues better in Guild Wars 1 vs 2. If only for the alliance battles alone.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Lonk posted:

I am in no way a fan of PvP but I absolutely agree it was leagues better in Guild Wars 1 vs 2. If only for the alliance battles alone.

:hmmyes:

Isgarren kinda looks like a High Templar. And he talks like a Protoss too. And the Kryptis do give off some Zerg vibes. Just some random thoughts I had while finishing the epilogue on my Ele.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
At this point I just assume that if something feels like a reference, it probably is one.

From Stargate: SG1/etc to Werewolf: the Apocalypse the nerd references in the game and overall plot are Notable and mostly appreciated. Mostly.

EDIT: also good to hear about Mechanist, ty. Messing around w keysticks I did find some means of making the f-key garbage more viable, but it's not necessarily reliable just yet.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 11, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I've been hating the dialogue cutscenes because they take like ten seconds to load in the first line of dialogue. Good to know it apparently gets worse. :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wvw is really really good imo, so gw2 wins on that note, but everything else pvp was way better in gw1

idk how much time i wasted in aspenwood but it was a lot

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Haven't played in a long while but i see i don't get the free login rewards any more, that stuff removed or shuffled of to a tab i can't find?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
It's been replaced by the Wizard's Vault, which has better rewards, but generally requires you to engage with the game a little more to claim them. Default key combo is shift+H, or there's an icon on the bar for it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

..btt posted:

It's been replaced by the Wizard's Vault, which has better rewards, but generally requires you to engage with the game a little more to claim them. Default key combo is shift+H, or there's an icon on the bar for it.

Thanks for the reply. :tipshat:

That change just makes me even less interested in even logging on. :lol:

I just wanted to footer about for a while, maybe i'll get into the mood for it sometime again in the future. :shrug:

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Thanks for the reply. :tipshat:

That change just makes me even less interested in even logging on. :lol:

I just wanted to footer about for a while, maybe i'll get into the mood for it sometime again in the future. :shrug:

Doesn't sound like you were invested in playing if a reward login was your only incentive :confused:

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

chglcu posted:

The “-provider Portal” bit is only necessary if launching from Steam. As a warning, it will prevent access to any content bought through Steam, as Portal (first party anet accounts) and Steam accounts are separate.

e: Separate as in they’re different accounts. Steam and Portal users still play together on the same servers.

I think he's talking about playing it on the steam deck in particular, so it's necessary

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’ve been playing a few hours recently on my steam deck and the game runs well. There are a couple of really good control schemes you can choose from (a souls-like one and an one that uses the face buttons more). All you gotta do is bind the action camera key to the appropriate button on the deck the scheme says to.

I’d recommend giving it a shot if you have a deck.

I'm glad to hear the game runs well on a Steam deck, it sounds super cool, maybe I'll try that. On the other hand, I have a gaming PC that runs games like Doom Eternal or Cyberpunk 2077 (99 FPS on maximum settings) and still get these ridiculously long loading screens between zones. GW2 is installed on an SSD.

We're talking several minutes to load into Eye of the North, Arborstone, Wizard's Tower, various instances, etc. It makes doing any organized squad content and strike missions/raids quite annoying. Any content where you're zoning in and out of instances back-to-back is super slow. It was never like this a few months ago, it became significantly worse with the last few patches/expansion. Come to find out on Goon Squad guild chat, other folks with gaming PCs are running into the same issues.

I've tried so many different things to repair and optimize the game, it's almost at bare minimum settings and still does this. I think it's the nature of a 10+ year old game not being optimized. If I understand correctly, GW2 runs off a single processor core and doesn't support multi-core processing?

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 11, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jedah posted:

We're talking several minutes to load into Eye of the North, Arborstone, Wizard's Tower, various instances, etc. It makes doing any organized squad content and strike missions/raids quite annoying.

I've tried so many different things to repair and optimize the game, it's almost at bare minimum settings and still does this. I think it's the nature of a 10+ year old game not being optimized. If I understand correctly, GW2 runs off a single processor core and doesn't support multi-core processing?

The game is indeed borderline unplayable on anything beyond low settings on the new maps but I haven't experienced any such issues with loading times. They do take a couple of seconds longer than core maps but definitely not minutes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zeg posted:

Doesn't sound like you were invested in playing if a reward login was your only incentive :confused:

Truth.

Bought the game years ago and made the mistake of more or less starting off with the lvl 80 character... honestly think that tainted everything thereafter. :suicide101:

It should be listed as a warning tbh; the free lvl 80 is not meant for newbies.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

The description on the level 80 boost literally says "For advanced players" :v:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

ptroll posted:

The description on the level 80 boost literally says "For advanced players" :v:

At that stage in my life i "advanced" it with my credit card instead. :colbert:

My mistake. :lol:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mr. Neutron posted:

The game is indeed borderline unplayable on anything beyond low settings on the new maps but I haven't experienced any such issues with loading times. They do take a couple of seconds longer than core maps but definitely not minutes.

For sure, I always seem to be one of the last folks to fully zone into instances these days. I guess I could upgrade my PC again and see if that helps. I’ll report back if I see an improvement. The game is quite beautiful on high settings and it’s a shame to run it on low.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Honestly, disagree. Levelling to 80 doesn't really teach you anything about what you'll be doing post-80, or how your character will play.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Jedah posted:

For sure, I always seem to be one of the last folks to fully zone into instances these days. I guess I could upgrade my PC again and see if that helps. I’ll report back if I see an improvement. The game is quite beautiful on high settings and it’s a shame to run it on low.
Have you tried removing your GW2 cache folders and/or the Local.dat?
I do this every 2-3 months or whenever loading times become too slow.
I run on a 10 y.o. gaming laptop with a GeForce MX 960, so it very likely isn't a hardware problem on your end.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Boosting to 80 sucks, it doesn't even take that long to level anymore.

Level your dudes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thanks, but no thanks. Someone needs to bust through these hundreds of XP tomes and lvl 60 boosts

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've never played an MMO at max level for more than like a week until I lose interest. I don't see the appeal of blasting to max level instantly.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Meowywitch posted:

Boosting to 80 sucks, it doesn't even take that long to level anymore.

Level your dudes

But I've got a shared inventory slot that has two more boosts and I don't get it back until I boost them. Also I'm in the middle of world completion so I'm getting enough of the leveling experience again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've never played an MMO at max level for more than like a week until I lose interest. I don't see the appeal of blasting to max level instantly.

In GW2, playing at level 10 and playing at level 80 are essentially the exact same, except at 80 you have more poo poo you can do

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Totally agree, MMOs are about the journey and not the destination, EXCEPT GUILD WARS 2!
Get your rear end to 80 asap!The game is worthless before that.

Before 80 you don’t meet any challenging content, cannot participate in most memorable meta events, don’t have elite specs, don’t have masteries, etc.
This game starts at level cap.
Best of all is the game does a great job of scaling you down to lower level zones so you don’t miss out on any low level content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Man my GPU poo poo the bed Saturday morning and I've been trying stuff and testing stuff and finally called it. Money's tight though so I ordered an open box from eBay. But it won't get here until Thursday at the earliest and next Tuesday at the latest. So I'm out all those dailies and likely a weekly too. And my CPU doesn't even have an iGPU for me to suffer through in the meantime.