Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Julias, if you hadn't already made this joke at some prior ridiculous point, Autumn 2023: THE FINAL SEASON PART 3 (PART 2) is right there for the taking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

with flcl i'm reminded of lilo & stitch, where it got 3 additional DTV movies (one of which was a pilot for a TV show, the third of which was a finale for the TV show), and all of them were bad and had none of the charm of the original

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I was actually obsessed with that TV show as a kid but never saw either DTV movie, so Stitch's lazy long lost brother being a part of the main cast was a very "here's Toadsworth" moment

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

with flcl i'm reminded of lilo & stitch, where it got 3 additional DTV movies (one of which was a pilot for a TV show, the third of which was a finale for the TV show), and all of them were bad and had none of the charm of the original

Was the show itself any good?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not really. it was trying to imitate pokemon by having a 'gotta catch 'em all' element where every episode introduced a new failed & escaped experiment, of which there were supposed to be hundreds

the glue that held the original film together was the fact that despite the science-fiction premise, the actual setting and family dynamics were down-to-earth (no pun intended) and had real personal stakes to them, so a TV show was never going to be a good followup anyway

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 11, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

I seem to recall there being a Stich anime series that also completely missed the point of the movie (the first episode involves Stich just abandoning Lilo bringing in a new cast instead)
this isnt true at all. its the same premise as the original movie just with okinawa instead of hawaii. theres no lilo in this universe he just crashlands in okinawa instead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

this isnt true at all. its the same premise as the original movie just with okinawa instead of hawaii. theres no lilo in this universe he just crashlands in okinawa instead.

Ah, I never actually saw it but thought I heard something along those lines, nevermind (I also heard somewhere that Japanese audiences thought Lilo was kind of a brat but I’m not sure how true that is either)

Is the anime any good in that case?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is a middling childrens anime that misses the point of the anime in a different way by having it be about a magic thing that makes stitch have to do 50 good deeds to pad out the episode count - i mean prove he is good, rather than it just being a natural development that stems from him finding a family

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So the only decent Lilo & Stitch related thing is the original movie then, good to know

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The one interesting idea in the American TV cartoon is that the villain from the original movie is basically in a living hell by being stuck on Earth and desperately wants to leave. It's kind of like if Team Rocket actively hated their jobs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A live action remake without Ving Rhames is pointless yet that's what we get with new Lilo and Stitch material.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As a kid I liked the idea that the experiment made just before Stitch was basically perfect except the only thing he ever wanted to do was make sandwiches, but that's kind of a one-joke premise

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

They actually retconned it later to be that the anime takes place long after Lilo and Stitch, where Lilo is an adult with a kid that looks exactly the same as her.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arist posted:

As a kid I liked the idea that the experiment made just before Stitch was basically perfect except the only thing he ever wanted to do was make sandwiches, but that's kind of a one-joke premise

Nice gag. I like that he later gets the name "Reuben"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vsAuf23l7o

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And then there was a girl Stitch that was pink and had curves so you'd know she was a girl and that Stitch wasn't gay

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

And then there was a girl Stitch that was pink and had curves so you'd know she was a girl and that Stitch wasn't gay

Speaking of Lilo and Stitch, I wonder what the Japanese thought of the crossover episodes with Kim Possible, Proud Family, American Dragon and Recess

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Waffleman_ posted:

But Angel is another of his cousins, and potentially a genetic donor used in the creation of Stitch in the laboratory, so gay he is not. Incestuous, though...

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Kvantum posted:

But Angel is another of his cousins, and potentially a genetic donor used in the creation of Stitch in the laboratory, so gay he is not. Incestuous, though...
So it's selfcest

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

10 year old me liked the Stitch show and I have good taste so it is probably still ok.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SyntheticPolygon posted:

10 year old me liked the Stitch show and I have good taste so it is probably still ok.

This

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how weird does Japanese Stitch sound and did any of the movie actors return for the dub of the anime (assuming it got one)?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bro you can just watch it

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how weird does Japanese Stitch sound and did any of the movie actors return for the dub of the anime (assuming it got one)?

Stitch is voiced by Spike Spiegel and Kaji. He also does Donald Duck in Japanese and from what footage of the Japanese KH2 he sounds close to him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Stitch is voiced by Spike Spiegel and Kaji. He also does Donald Duck in Japanese and from what footage of the Japanese KH2 he sounds close to him.

That makes a lot of sense honestly

Strange Quark posted:

Bro you can just watch it

Endorph’s description didn’t really paint a great picture for me honestly but maybe

Also what was the remaining DTV movie between the ones that started and ended the US series?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Also what was the remaining DTV movie between the ones that started and ended the US series?

idk

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

ok i googled it

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i watch the anime for men not babies

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Namtab posted:

i watch the anime for men not babies

Whats the difference?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if the main character is 12 or 16

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
up to Kenshin ep10.
seeing a lot more differences now compared to the old series, bunch of little scene differences and outright different from the other.
wonder which was more loyal to the source material, have to check later.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Because there's no such thing as too much Shanfro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HpOvyY4sDw

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-09-12/buronson-tetsuo-hara-fist-of-the-north-star-manga-gets-new-anime/.202260

quote:

Warner Bros. Japan announced on Wednesday that it is producing a new anime adaptation of Buronson and Tetsuo Hara's landmark manga Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken). The anime will have an all-new cast. Warner Bros. Japan will announce more details about the project at a later date.

The new anime announcement commemorates the series' 40th anniversary.

This could be good.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I know its a bit of a meme where you gotta watch 10 hours of a show before it gets to the good point, but next episodes of Helck is pretty much the point where the story starts to pick up. You can easily just watch a couple early episodes and just skip to the upcoming ones and not miss a whole lot.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Watched flcl grunge and it kept me p engaged. I'm on board, it's style is rad, on some 00's suda 51 tip

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Undead Murder Farce setting up something good this week. I think I figured it out The werewolf daughter survived because she’s immune to fire and stole the identity of both the wheelchair girl and appeared as “Nora” to the werewolves. She’s killing girls in both villages to drive them into destroying each other as revenge for her mother.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
If you were waiting for MyGO to end to start watching it, well, it's wrapped up now. They also announced it's going to continue into a sequel season called "BanG Dream! Ave Mujica", but we don't have an airdate on that just yet. So now's a great time to hop on!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1701989117700210872

Looks pretty sick!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
As the season draws to a close, it's time again to ask for title suggestions for next season's thread.

https://anichart.net/Fall-2023

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2023/fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fall Season 2023: The 100 Shows You Really Really Wanna Watch