Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm hoping Romero isn't secretly a piece of poo poo.

We went over this a while back but Romero’s sketchiest behavior appears to be marrying that 18 year old Romanian teenager when he was 37.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

david_a posted:

We went over this a while back but Romero’s sketchiest behavior appears to be marrying that 18 year old Romanian teenager when he was 37.

Ew.

C'mon man, "half your age + 7" AT LEAST.

:negative:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Jfc, Carmack too? Ugh.

Then again, he should also be thought of as an rear end in a top hat over the whole cat deal.

Carmack’s always been a tech libertarian but before this dumb convention I thought he was just oblivious and rich. Here’s hoping he doesn’t actively curdle. But what’s the cat thing?

After Ion Storm fell apart and Killcreek left him, Romero was married to a conspicuously young Romanian woman for a while, but I think life did enough to sandblast his ego into rubble that he seemed to emerge a humble, thoughtful person. Time will tell, but it seems like he’s genuinely in a better place.

Edit: beaten like Daikatana’s Metacritic score.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jfc, Carmack too? Ugh.

Then again, he should also be thought of as an rear end in a top hat over the whole cat deal.

What cat deal :catstare:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

david_a posted:

Ok that's not ideal.

Also to the thread in general, please spoiler the cat thing if it's bad as a favor to me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The cat anecdote was from Masters of Doom. Passage spoilered at request.

quote:

Scott Miller wasn’t the only one to go before id began working on Doom. Mitzi would suffer a similar fate. Carmack’s cat had been a thorn in the side of the id employees, beginning with the days of her overflowing litter box back at the lake house. Since then she had grown more irascible, lashing out at passersby and relieving herself freely around his apartment. The final straw came when she peed all over a brand-new leather couch that Carmack had bought with the Wolfenstein cash. Carmack broke the news to the guys.

“Mitzi was having a net negative impact on my life,” he said. “I took her to the animal shelter. Mmm.”

“What?” Romero asked. The cat had become such a sidekick of Carmack’s that the guys had even listed her on the company directory as his significant other–and now she was just gone? “You know what this means?” Romero said. “They’re going to put her to sleep! No one’s going to want to claim her. She’s going down! Down to Chinatown!”

Carmack shrugged it off and returned to work. The same rule applied to a cat, a computer program, or, for that matter, a person. When something becomes a problem, let it go or, if necessary, have it surgically removed.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I read Masters of Doom but had forgotten about that. Can’t say I’m surprised.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I will accept most of Masters of Doom as gospel, but I will never believe that Romero scuppered iD's in-house D&D game because his character wanted a sword called the Daikatana. Reality does not foreshadow itself, I won't have it.

HellaSecure
Aug 12, 2023

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:confused: the new remaster doesn't have ray tracing

My mistake, assumptions were made.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

HellaSecure posted:

My mistake, assumptions were made.

you know what they say happens when you assume.
That's right. You make an rear end out of u and MAKRON, HAIL HIS CYBERNETIC GLORY.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

LvK posted:

you know what they say happens when you assume.

you make a strogg out of glue and meat.

hm.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Carmack has always been an rear end in a top hat there are just more opportunities to out yourself as one these days.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

1stGear posted:

I will accept most of Masters of Doom as gospel, but I will never believe that Romero scuppered iD's in-house D&D game because his character wanted a sword called the Daikatana. Reality does not foreshadow itself, I won't have it.

big sword

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the man made doom and the fps genre and yall care about some cat he gave away... smdh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You concern yourself with the cat he gave away yet say nothing of all the cats he didn't give away- the buddha

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

A good parent knows after crawling and walking phases comes ripping and tearing

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Pft I was ripping and tearing before I was out of diapers

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Romero's autobiography Doom Guy is pretty good. There's some things he doesn't mention, like his whole thing with Stevie Case, but he does mention that he asked for permission from everyone featured if he could talk about them and didn't include the people that didn't give it. Lots of neat details and he doesn't downplay his his own actions in is fall from stardom. Carmack sounds like a twat from day fucken 1 though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I heard about the Carmack basedcon thing awhile back, but I assumed the "inverse" thing implied that he did something to reverse course since I thought "milkshake ducking" was the process of destroying your fame because you're a shitlord? (Become popular, we regret to inform you milkshake duck is a nazi)

I feel like I've mostly heard good things about Romero in recent years, or at least got the vibe he's fairly chill and approachable about stuff.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's reference to Carmack's Fast Inverse Square Root, a floating-point trick for calculating 1/sqrt(x) quickly, found in the Quake 3 source code that has been (incorrectly) attributed to Carmack.

Romero seems cool even though he had some major bro energy back in the day. I think his current wife has had a positive influence on him. He's always been pretty chill and approachable though. I remember talking to him about Doom on ICQ in like 1998 when I was 11.

Volte fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 12, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ew.

C'mon man, "half your age + 7" AT LEAST.

:negative:

What kind of rule is that? At least he married a 18 year old, in europe being the age of majority.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Carmack has very little understanding of how humans feel or react to things and just sort of applies "logic" to everything. He was able to make himself a millionaire by working hard in his 20s and therefore it's just a thing you can do if you're smart enough and work hard enough, luck is not a factor. I don't think he really understands why the basedcon bullshit is bullshit, the surface level "logic" thing makes sense to him and he went and "oh yes I remember early small conventions like this, this pleases me." It's not an excuse, just an explanation.

Romero is (or was I guess) kind of gross and he made one very lovely and somewhat racist game, but he seems pretty cool now and seems to be doing a good job of just being cool old gamedad. I like that his stepchild drew his incredible hair in that picture.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

I think this Romero guy has his heart in the right place, or he at least HAS a heart, not so sure about Carmack

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Carmack has a heart, it’s just made of stone.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Less of a "heart" and more of a "core."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SkeletonHero posted:

Less of a "heart" and more of a "core."

A learning computer, if you will.

at least arnold learns to be human by the end

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Carmack has very little understanding of how humans feel or react to things and just sort of applies "logic" to everything. He was able to make himself a millionaire by working hard in his 20s and therefore it's just a thing you can do if you're smart enough and work hard enough, luck is not a factor. I don't think he really understands why the basedcon bullshit is bullshit, the surface level "logic" thing makes sense to him and he went and "oh yes I remember early small conventions like this, this pleases me." It's not an excuse, just an explanation.

Romero is (or was I guess) kind of gross and he made one very lovely and somewhat racist game, but he seems pretty cool now and seems to be doing a good job of just being cool old gamedad. I like that his stepchild drew his incredible hair in that picture.

Carmack has aspergers and struggles to understand empathy or, to an extent, morality. Masters of Doom detailed how he got in trouble as a teenager for dissolving a window to steal some computer equipment, which he didn't see anything wrong with as windows alone are a stupid security mechanism

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

A tale of two Johns.

I appreciate how Masters of Doom just lays most of it out plainly for both.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
A guy who is supernaturally talented in one specific area having bad takes about literally everything else is pretty par for the course imo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Carmack bonded with his wife over a common interest in Ayn Rand’s beliefs, which are also superficially logical.

His appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience was also… not great. He seemed to really resist the idea of worker protections in the gaming industry. He made it by working 100 hour weeks, so why would you deny people that opportunity??? I don’t think he really comprehends that outside of indie games, a single developer on a modern game isn’t going to make much of a difference. And, of course, nobody was forcing Carmack to work those insane hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

david_a posted:

Carmack bonded with his wife over a common interest in Ayn Rand’s beliefs, which are also superficially logical.

His appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience was also… not great. He seemed to really resist the idea of worker protections in the gaming industry. He made it by working 100 hour weeks, so why would you deny people that opportunity??? I don’t think he really comprehends that outside of indie games, a single developer on a modern game isn’t going to make much of a difference. And, of course, nobody was forcing Carmack to work those insane hours.

I have seen lots of interviews with him, and yeah, you can see how Carmack understand life and society in a specific way that that been informed from his own perspective (being a self made millionaire, having a job he loves, being a workaholic, being very logical and kind of asocial, and in a way living in a bubble that is pretty different from most people, etc). He is smart enough to understand he isn't a 'representative sample of the average human', in both good and bad, so he knows his experience doesn't translate to everyone and he knows his isn't the appropriate person for lots of things, but imo him knowing he has a biased perspective is at the end of the day just a logical data point in his head, he still acts and thinks in his logical libertarian ways. I have the feeling he hasn't made any efforts of reaching out outside his bubble, you know.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

My ex's dad worked with Carmack for a bit on Quake. He said he was a nice guy, but my ex's family was also rich as poo poo and now I'm starting to think that probably helped a lot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm sure he's very nice, in a very specific kind of way and in very specific situations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Carmack is currently designing the AGI that will enslave all of humanity, and for that, I have nothing bud good things to say about Mr. John Carmack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Flinger posted:

I think this Romero guy has his heart in the right place, or he at least HAS a heart, not so sure about Carmack

Man that kind of adds an extra unfortunate element to how everyone used to make fun of his hair back in the late 90's

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So are there any reports of anything Carmack did or said at the convention? It was a couple of days ago now. Going is bad enough on its own. The cat stuff is enough to write him off as a lovely person in my book but him committing to a dumb alt-right convention admittedly surprised me a bit.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Casimir Radon posted:

So are there any reports of anything Carmack did or said at the convention? It was a couple of days ago now. Going is bad enough on its own. The cat stuff is enough to write him off as a lovely person in my book but him committing to a dumb alt-right convention admittedly surprised me a bit.

I wrote him off around the time he a) went on Joe Rogan and b) I learned around the same time he bonded with his then wife over a love of Ayn Rand.

I still think you can enjoy the 'art' (I use the word very broadly here) of a problematic person, or you'd quickly run out of good books, music, films etc to enjoy, but it's still a downer.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Carmack's got extremely bad opinions but I don't think it's anything like supporting someone like Roman Polanski or Mel Gibson, he's just a garden variety rich neurodivergent libertarian. I'm not going to daydream about hanging out with him but I don't feel conflicted about playing Doom or Quake 2 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sorry to get too off topic, but I randomly decided to boot up Project Warlock and it's pretty rad? It's got some obvious rough edges, but I appreciate the creativity and variety of the levels. I've missed shooters that really lean into different aesthetics.

Seems a bit on the short side, but also honestly that's probably for the best. I could see its charm wearing off if every chapter was, say, twice as long just for the sake of it.