Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I just killed Ibis with the lance/bunker wombo combo

How does this work? Whenever I try it they just fly away after I hit them with the lance. Do you only do it when the lance hit will stagger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

johnny park posted:

How does this work? Whenever I try it they just fly away after I hit them with the lance. Do you only do it when the lance hit will stagger?

Yeah pretty much, i guess? Also you can switch earlier than you might think you can

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah, doing charged lance after dodging the uh... sweeping move along the ground that it stands still at the end of, is the easiest opening for that.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Captain Foo posted:

hell yeah

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I've decided to swap to 6-cell missile launchers to better build stagger for my laser pistol build. Don't remember the part name, but it's a later unlock that kinda launches them almost simultaneously at higher Velocity than the standard missiles. Haven't actually tested it out yet though. Not really sure what else would be good for building stagger that wouldn't force me to stop zooming. Well, unless I go Wheelchair Tank.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

ZeusCannon posted:

Those chase laser drones you get (Not the turret and not the orbit) are honestly pretty good for keeping pressure on. And the charged shot hits pretty hard

I only learned you can charge them the other day. All of a sudden they started slapping.

Also, holy hell the difference on the charged Coral missiles. ≈800 to 4999

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I've been trying to find the energy build that works for me - but I don't think the VE-20B (the highest energy weapon stat, painfully low EN output) can possibly work with four energy weapons. Dual laser pistol + laser cannon is the lowest energy weapon en load possible, but the compromises everywhere else leave you picking at least two of fragile, slow and inaccurate. To get even a middling booster and FCS in the build I got railroaded into the Tian-Qiang head, Tool arms and Orbiter legs. So just barely functional.

Energy weapons seem like great matches for the wheelchair tank legs though, making use of no charge-shot slowdown stability and fantastic ground speed to stay at preferred ranges.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
it looks like the patch rolled back my save an entire chapter.

I have AC data saved with the laser lance equipped (unlocks at the beginning of chapter 4) and I'm looking at surveying Xylem and taking on the cataphract again.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Grayshift posted:

I've been trying to find the energy build that works for me - but I don't think the VE-20B (the highest energy weapon stat, painfully low EN output) can possibly work with four energy weapons. Dual laser pistol + laser cannon is the lowest energy weapon en load possible, but the compromises everywhere else leave you picking at least two of fragile, slow and inaccurate. To get even a middling booster and FCS in the build I got railroaded into the Tian-Qiang head, Tool arms and Orbiter legs. So just barely functional.

Energy weapons seem like great matches for the wheelchair tank legs though, making use of no charge-shot slowdown stability and fantastic ground speed to stay at preferred ranges.

Yeah, the highest energy firearm spec is hard to use with more than 2 energy weapons. I've seen builds using it and carrying only 2 of the larger laser rifle. Don't forget to pick a Core with a large EN Output efficiency.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

drat they killed him rip

https://twitter.com/Ekuborz/status/1701184661454807188

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Captain Foo posted:

Probably the most fun way to do it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I've decided to swap to 6-cell missile launchers to better build stagger for my laser pistol build. Don't remember the part name, but it's a later unlock that kinda launches them almost simultaneously at higher Velocity than the standard missiles. Haven't actually tested it out yet though. Not really sure what else would be good for building stagger that wouldn't force me to stop zooming. Well, unless I go Wheelchair Tank.

The 6-cell horizontal missile launcher has kind of become my favorite missile shoulder launcher lately too. It sits in a great spot between damage per volley, relatively fast reload time to keep the pressure on, and weight.

Vertical launchers always seem better for fast moving targets though. The x8 verts seem kind of ideal there as the x12 almost always feels like overkill except if you’re going full pvp missileboat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 12, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Holy poo poo that’s so slow haha

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I used 2x SMGs + 6 horizontals for like 90% of the game

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Doing ng++. Balteus is a fuckin joke now.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Currently cruising through NG+ with two gun orbits, Ransetsu-RF, and whatever flavour melee feels right at the time. The orbits plus Ransetsu make for easy and frequent staggers (until the orbits overheat).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Look at how they massacred my boy

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

This patch was the worst thing to ever happen on 9/11

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

This patch was the worst thing to ever happen on 9/11

A second Songbird has hit BALTEUS

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Downloading the "I beat pre nerf balteus" decal

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Pre 9/11 attack the watchpoint cheevo post

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jerkface posted:

Downloading the "I beat pre nerf balteus" decal

The last thing enemy MT's see before death is a pile bunker to the face followed by "YOU CHEATED NOT ONLY THE GAME, BUT YOURSELF" emblazed across my AC torso.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

does balteus even shoot missiles after the first barrage? like why people are malding about this change or acting like it's a nerf to the boss

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It does, though the more dangerous attacks were always the grenade and flame swords imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's just weird to me that they bothered at all. I haven't gotten to Ibis yet so no comment there but Balteus and Sea Spider aren't really that hard. Use pulse guns or rapid fire weapons then time your big boy shots for Stargazer Gundam, go above or into CS Lewis's attacks and boost away from the spinning bird kick (or facetank it if you're a bad like me idk) and go all in on ballistics and explosives or the piledriver.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

Vertical launchers always seem better for fast moving targets though. The x8 verts seem kind of ideal there as the x12 almost always feels like overkill except if you’re going full pvp missileboat.

x8 is usually exactly enough to kill a shield MT over their shield. While still enough to multi kill drones, or at least do 90% damage to chump MT. Meanwhile the x12 takes what feels like forever to multilock even with a good missile FCS.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just got to (what i think is the final boss) -------------------on the satellite for the first time and this seems like a doozy

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 12, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

imo nerfing the missile tracking is a good thing because it will help players learn the most important lesson in this game: bosses cannot hit you if you are directly above them. AFAIK balteus is the only exception to that rule

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RBA Starblade posted:

It's just weird to me that they bothered at all. I haven't gotten to Ibis yet so no comment there but Balteus and Sea Spider aren't really that hard.
Feels like spider's changes were mostly the resists, it used to heavily resist energy and explosive. If you were using something like double laser pistols it looked like it kinda sucked, so that's understandable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

It's just weird to me that they bothered at all. I haven't gotten to Ibis yet so no comment there but Balteus and Sea Spider aren't really that hard. Use pulse guns or rapid fire weapons then time your big boy shots for Stargazer Gundam, go above or into CS Lewis's attacks and boost away from the spinning bird kick (or facetank it if you're a bad like me idk) and go all in on ballistics and explosives or the piledriver.

It feels very unrewarding for new players to boost at Balteus correctly and still have the missles swing in and hit you either during the attempt or afterwards while you're right up next to Balteus. It's a good change.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^agreeing with this

the missiles weren't even the part of balteus that kicks your rear end, they just psyche people out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Grayshift posted:

With the ve-20b generator and bipedal legs I usually g with dual pistols and dual wuergers (the fisty shotguns) on the back. You'll have to use one of the cores with a high generator output adjustment like the HAL, Ephemera, or the VE-40A.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I wish all the bosses were available to fight any time in the arena so you could skip the boss run when you wanted to try out builds on them.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I've done it. I've legally become Armored Core.

Last pics of my sweet mech before I uninstall.

NG++ thoughts: lmao loving iguazu you god drat dweeb

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a reason the patch is like 45 gigs to download?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Usually I don't care if they make bosses easier or whatever, but in this case I really wanted specifically my older brothers to suffer through Balteus like I did. Everyone else is fine to deal with the easier version, but I wanted those two to be in the same state of misery as I was that forced me to start actually getting good at the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a reason the patch is like 45 gigs to download?
It's not. The download is tiny but the game's data files are 10 or 20 gigs and it seems like modifying them requires rewriting the whole thing.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
I've just entered chapter 3 of NG++ and I couldn't be happier with the AC I've settled on.

First play was an increasingly heavy middleweight, NG+ I tried it with a lighter speed frame, but I realized I'm having the most fun by strapping on the biggest guns. Those Spring Chicken legs are putting in the work, since jumping around gives me just enough mobility to stay alive while taking huge chunks out of everything. There's something to be said about skillful maneuvering or getting in a massive charged piledriver hit, but blowing everything away with overwhelming firepower is a helluva power fantasy. That laser rifle is pretty ridiculous to try to use on a non-tank build, weighing in at 7600, but it was totally worth it.

Just be careful about charging shots, since it's already been established that the AI is reading your controller. The Sea Spider was not having any of it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Usually I don't care if they make bosses easier or whatever, but in this case I really wanted specifically my older brothers to suffer through Balteus like I did. Everyone else is fine to deal with the easier version, but I wanted those two to be in the same state of misery as I was that forced me to start actually getting good at the game.

You could always get a hard copy of the console version and force them to play offline on the 1.0 version until they beat Balteus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It feels very unrewarding for new players to boost at Balteus correctly and still have the missles swing in and hit you either during the attempt or afterwards while you're right up next to Balteus. It's a good change.

I just boosted in a straight line and the missiles did like 200 damage :shrug: