Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

But...there's nothing stopping him from looking for any of those three when they AREN'T at the hideout, then tracking them, and seeing where they stop being tracked. Voila, hideout found.

I mean, he's not hooked up to Cerebro all the time, he does also have a school to administer. And he probably also has to occasionally use the toilet or eat food. And sleep, sleep is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

So, this movie Freaked from the early 90's, I saw as a kid and thought was weird, I watched again like 20(some) years ago and still thought it was weird. I started a watch of it today and as I'm finishing something I hear Mr. T. What the gently caress? Into his IMDB I go to confirm that I'm not just thinking some dude looks&sounds like him. Flippin' is him.

This IIMM is less on the film specifically and has to be shared with me not noticing that I didn't notice him in a lot of stuff. Clubber and B.A. are his big roles and after looking at imdb I can remember characters he played in stuff, but why didn't they let the character Mr. T harder?

E: Also, this movie is weird.

nesamdoom has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Sep 11, 2023

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

DrBouvenstein posted:

There's also the scene where they kidnap Rogue and as they're carrying her away, Xavier does mind control Sabertooth and Toad to get Magneto to stop, but then Magneto aims all the guns at the cops so Xavier lets them go.

In the time Xavier was in control of the other two goons, why didn't he just have Sabertooth kniock Magneto's helmet off? Or make Toad use his gross tongue to remove it? Then he could just mind control Magneto.

quote:

Magneto aims all the guns at the cops

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Yeah, BEFORE that. Like, the instant Magneto walks out of the train station.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

nesamdoom posted:

So, this movie Freaked from the early 90's, I saw as a kid and thought was weird, I watched again like 20(some) years ago and still thought it was weird. I started a watch of it today and as I'm finishing something I hear Mr. T. What the gently caress? Into his IMDB I go to confirm that I'm not just thinking some dude looks&sounds like him. Flippin' is him.

This IIMM is less on the film specifically and has to be shared with me not noticing that I didn't notice him in a lot of stuff. Clubber and B.A. are his big roles and after looking at imdb I can remember characters he played in stuff, but why didn't they let the character Mr. T harder?

Wait until you find out who played the Dog Boy.

Freaked was a good movie and it's available on YouTube for free.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Magneto holds his helmet down with magnetism. I’ll take my no-prize.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, BEFORE that. Like, the instant Magneto walks out of the train station.

No, they meant "Why would X-Prof stop Magneto while he is pointing guns at cops?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like the idea of counter surveillance or stealth actually revealing where you are. supposedly there was a cold war sub that was tooo quiet and its sonic "shadow" revealed itself. its one of those counter intuitive funny things.

not sure if the superman comics did this, but I like the joke idea of Supes just doing occasional xray sweeps, and catching a new supa lab by Lex because of massive lead plates somewhere, or repeatedly catching the same low level crooks because they keep lining their high floored apartments with lead foil.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

"Sure glad that wasn't our plane."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

not sure if the superman comics did this, but I like the joke idea of Supes just doing occasional xray sweeps, and catching a new supa lab by Lex because of massive lead plates somewhere, or repeatedly catching the same low level crooks because they keep lining their high floored apartments with lead foil.

They did exactly that:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Push El Burrito posted:

Wait until you find out who played the Dog Boy.

Freaked was a good movie and it's available on YouTube for free.

kicked me in the dick. honestly, i'm not even saying it's a bad movie. and surprisingly it's got a good lineup. Probably helped some people eat for a bit.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

nesamdoom posted:

kicked me in the dick. honestly, i'm not even saying it's a bad movie. and surprisingly it's got a good lineup. Probably helped some people eat for a bit.

It seemed more like a movie Alex Winter wanted to make. Really pushed a lot of his Idiot Box style. Even talks about The Flying Gimp!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That doesn't explain anything, Superman! That's how you found three empty lead lined coffins really fast, not how you found the people

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Push El Burrito posted:

It seemed more like a movie Alex Winter wanted to make. Really pushed a lot of his Idiot Box style. Even talks about The Flying Gimp!

So like out of context Mighty Boosh if Noel Fielding didn't make a whole career of being weird. Thanks.

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Foxfire_ posted:

That doesn't explain anything, Superman! That's how you found three empty lead lined coffins really fast, not how you found the people

The coffins weren't empty. The three coffins each had a pig labeled "1", "2" or "4".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nesamdoom posted:

it teaches the importance of always eating macaroons.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah, Freaked makes a lot more sense if you've seen his sketch comedy show. The answer is that Alex Winter is a weird guy with a weird sense of humor.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I finally watched the first episode of Netflix One Piece, and this isn't an irritating moment, just kind of a weird reverse-uncanny valley experience. Early on, when Gold Roger is telling people about his treasure, there's a guy in the crowd you only see for a few seconds, but I almost thought was a CGI character out of a Square Enix game. But nope, he was a live actor in a wig and makeup.

I'm digging it so far. It's kind of refreshing for a character to say something like "I wonder why he's called Axe Hand," and not mean it sarcastically.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

One Piece takes its ridiculous world completely seriously and it owns.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My girlfriend wants to rewatch the Saw movies before Halloween so we're working out way though them. God they are terrible fuckin films, even before they degenerated to rube goldberg torture/murder devices. From terrible acting (Danny Glover just..being there and mumbling his way through the first one) to atrocious camera work and weird zooms/high playback speeds to make it seem like stuff is happening faster, to not trusting the audience in the fuckin slightest with the clip show replays of the entire movie in the last bit just to remind you of what you just watched.

Like the 'reveal' in the 2nd one that the survivor from the first movie, the chick from Becker who hadn't coughed once while everyone else was spitting blood up left and right thanks to the nerve gas in the house, had become Jigsaw's apprentice so the editor treated you to snippets of the entire goddamn film again in a quick blur to remind you of everything she'd done and what might now seems sus in hindsight.

Just, ugh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with the Saw movies is how quickly the entire premise becomes subverted. Jigsaw traps are supposed to have a solution that lets you live but after 3 it just turns into cheat after cheat.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

DrBouvenstein posted:

In the first X-Men movie, Prof. X says he can't look for Magneto because he helped him build Cerebro and (as we find out) his helmet blocks it (and all of Xavier's mind reading/control.)

I'm also willing to accept that Magneto's hideout uses the same material as his helmet, so Xavier also can't just look for Mystique, Sabertooth, or Toad while they're there.

But...there's nothing stopping him from looking for any of those three when they AREN'T at the hideout, then tracking them, and seeing where they stop being tracked. Voila, hideout found.

There's also the scene where they kidnap Rogue and as they're carrying her away, Xavier does mind control Sabertooth and Toad to get Magneto to stop, but then Magneto aims all the guns at the cops so Xavier lets them go.

In the time Xavier was in control of the other two goons, why didn't he just have Sabertooth kniock Magneto's helmet off? Or make Toad use his gross tongue to remove it? Then he could just mind control Magneto.

If Prof X did the thing he can do with any regularity, there would be zero movie plots - without macguffins like the immunity helmet.
His power is insane.

Arrath posted:

Saw Stuff

I remember generally enjoying the first movie - then the rest became a dumpster fire immediately.
No I don't intend to rewatch them ever.

The same can be said of similar-ish movies like Phone Both and Buried.

Once is enough!

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Sep 12, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I only saw up to 3, but even by then the sheer ridiculousness of his traps was comically absurd, as were some of the idiots' attempts to get out of them.

Like in 2, it's been like 15 years and I might have been a bit drunk when I saw (:haw:) it, but there's a scene where a guy thinks the antidote is in a box that has two little hand holes. If the guy looked for half a second , he'd had noticed they had backward facing blades in them.

I'll SLIGHTLY give him an excuse for shoving his hand in hole 1, even though Jigsaw is a nationally known serial killer who uses weird traps, but whatever, panic and not wanting to die from the supposed poison you're injected with.

But right after putting his first hand in and discovering the blades...he IMMEDIATELY shoved his other hand in the second hole, that clearly also has blades!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Some motherfuckers always trying to ice skate uphill

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They've also brought up the lead thing as being a reason why why Superman has trouble in Gotham, which has lots of older buildings with lead roofs.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've also brought up the lead thing as being a reason why why Superman has trouble in Gotham, which has lots of older buildings with lead roofs.

Oh cool a whole city with environmental lead poisoning I'm sure that wouldn't result in a decades-long outlier of a violent crime rate or incidence of mental illness

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Didn't the unwinnable traps thing become a plot point in one of the movies? Like it was his apprentice doing that by herself and he was pissed at her for it?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Didn't the unwinnable traps thing become a plot point in one of the movies? Like it was his apprentice doing that by herself and he was pissed at her for it?

I think all of his apprentices do that. Dude has no skills picking up reliable people at all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Phy posted:

Oh cool a whole city with environmental lead poisoning I'm sure that wouldn't result in a decades-long outlier of a violent crime rate or incidence of mental illness

maybe the lead is protected by a nice layer of Asbestos tiles.

also going from the batman games, I thought Gotham Maddness was due to having a Lazarus Pit and its vapors outgassing from the bedrock. but turns outs its just good old mundane lead.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I kinda liked 5, where the twist was that if the 5 people kidnapped had realized they could have worked together in each trap instead of assuming someone had to die in each one, well, it would have gone a lot better for most of them. But other than that, and being amused that one of the stars was the host of The Great Canadian Food Show, I don't remember anything about it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

If Prof X did the thing he can do with any regularity, there would be zero movie plots - without macguffins like the immunity helmet.
His power is insane.

There's a reason why the next movies removed him from the main plot as soon as possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

There's like a long run where a crooked cop is the main apprentice and he is deliberately using the traps to kill people he doesn't like. Which, again, removes some of the fun of the series if there's no correct answer to the traps.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Some of the traps never would have had a solution if you read between the lines like the fallen angel where it's a springloaded thing hooked into a persons ribcage. Even if you were to stop it going off, how the hell would you get the thing off afterward? At least the reverse beartrap is just a really lovely hat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

maybe the lead is protected by a nice layer of Asbestos tiles.

also going from the batman games, I thought Gotham Maddness was due to having a Lazarus Pit and its vapors outgassing from the bedrock. but turns outs its just good old mundane lead.

Also it might have been founded with eldritch rituals and/or on a super haunted swamp, also the Joker might have been there before the city was

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DrBouvenstein posted:

I only saw up to 3, but even by then the sheer ridiculousness of his traps was comically absurd, as were some of the idiots' attempts to get out of them.

Like in 2, it's been like 15 years and I might have been a bit drunk when I saw (:haw:) it, but there's a scene where a guy thinks the antidote is in a box that has two little hand holes. If the guy looked for half a second , he'd had noticed they had backward facing blades in them.

I'll SLIGHTLY give him an excuse for shoving his hand in hole 1, even though Jigsaw is a nationally known serial killer who uses weird traps, but whatever, panic and not wanting to die from the supposed poison you're injected with.

But right after putting his first hand in and discovering the blades...he IMMEDIATELY shoved his other hand in the second hole, that clearly also has blades!

it's been ages since i saw it and far be it from me to defend the saw movies as kinda mid tier horror but i'm pretty sure at that point his brain was literally melting from the nerve gas, iirc it's towards/during the final climax sequence and stumbles in there barely able to walk straight

the real IIMM for Saw 2 is the only thing to make me lose sleep over the entire franchise, a scene so visceral and hosed it makes my skin crawl, you know the loving scene don't make me type it out

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Hello fellow children, I want to play a game!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's been ages since i saw it and far be it from me to defend the saw movies as kinda mid tier horror but i'm pretty sure at that point his brain was literally melting from the nerve gas, iirc it's towards/during the final climax sequence and stumbles in there barely able to walk straight

the real IIMM for Saw 2 is the only thing to make me lose sleep over the entire franchise, a scene so visceral and hosed it makes my skin crawl, you know the loving scene don't make me type it out

Well go on then, I can't even remember the film.

I can remember 'liking' the twist in one, even though in retrospect it's pretty dumb.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Roblo posted:

Well go on then, I can't even remember the film.

I can remember 'liking' the twist in one, even though in retrospect it's pretty dumb.

Imma hazard a guess and say syringe pit. My IIMM is that I thought that one was icky, but didn't give me that visceral repulsion that many seem to have gotten out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Some fan invented a big theory about fake and real saw and poo poo and the flimakers were like "yes you got it, that is now our next plot".