Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

RareAcumen posted:

I know that video game genre definitions are very loose but I'm not going to advocate making them even less specific and floaty. Calling anything with a skill tree an RPG is insane. You gonna tell me that the Arkham, Borderlands, or Horizon series or The Wonderful 101 an RPG because they have skill trees?

Borderlands is absolutely an RPG in the same way that Diablo is an RPG, that's exactly the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Genre distinctions are vibes-based and consistency should not be expected from them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Immersive sim means any game where there was a way into the next area through an air vent which I don't discover until Ive already gone through the front door and noisily dispatched everyone inside.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Everything's an RPG until I say it ain't.

Which would folks recommend: Chained Echoes or Sea of Stars?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I think thread concesus is that Chained Echoes is a much better choice for your classic JRPG fix

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

D.Fuzzbot posted:

romancing saga minstrel song

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Snooze Cruise posted:

Is that an RPG?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alphadia Genesis gives you a spell that gives you back 10% of the damage it deals as MP and its far and away the most powerful single target spell in the game when you get it. Theres no real balancing of costs either, were talking costs 40 mp, deals 1500 damage

Love to replace the attack command.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

https://media.tenor.com/bKtSLGMsycMAAAPo/dragon-quest-chibi.mp4

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

bewilderment posted:

Borderlands is absolutely an RPG in the same way that Diablo is an RPG, that's exactly the point.

Diablo is an RPG in the same way Gauntlet is an RPG

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

This answers nothing!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

If you had to pick one, the thread consensus would probably be Chained Echoes, but I wouldn't recommend either tbh.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2401890/Sailing_Era_Edge_of_the_World/
new sailing era dlc is out in 4 hours!
i really like sailing era, more people should check it out~

I bought Sailing Era and just never got around to starting it. Unfortunately, I've been looking at starting up Live A Live again and finishing it off instead so it might have to wait a while.

Also y'know, Wandering Sword drops in a few days too. I still want to check out Sailing Era before the end of the year because I want stuff to talk about when I get around to my top 10 list for the year.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Failboattootoot posted:

If you had to pick one, the thread consensus would probably be Chained Echoes, but I wouldn't recommend either tbh.

I mean if folks have some other recommendations for an indie RPG that's also good.

Those two are just the ones I'm seeing a lot of lately.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I mean if folks have some other recommendations for an indie RPG that's also good.

Chained Echoes is very good, though the best indie RPG is CrossCode

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I thought crosscode was an action game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's a rpg

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best indie rpgs on steam can be found by searching 'touhou'

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
labyrinth of touhou 3 just gonna be insta goty whenever it comes out

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

SirSamVimes posted:

CrossCode owns, but this reminds me: does anyone know how close to finished Death Trash is?

I have not been keeping up with EA at all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Crystal Project is incredibly good and the other day the dev said there's a switch version in the works.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
based entirely on half an hour or so of play

i think Eternights is pretty okay

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok doesn't cut it with WANDERING SWORD around the corner! !

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

wild ARMs 3

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SirSamVimes posted:

they're pretty different, both are very good though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rockstar Massacre posted:

based entirely on half an hour or so of play

i think Eternights is pretty okay

I will sum it up simply:

It is a game where they do the stupid rear end 'man falls on woman amd grabs her boobs' joke except this time she falls on him and grabs his dick!!! Isn't that hilarious?

Also you are required to spit on a girl.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i spit on a girl and i liked it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think if a one man dev had spent years of his life solo developing an off brand persona and it did not end up being at least a bit freaky that would be a herculean show of restraint. one man dev projects that take at least five years or longer are where you go places no commercial team of game developers have gone before

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I will sum it up simply:

It is a game where they do the stupid rear end 'man falls on woman amd grabs her boobs' joke except this time she falls on him and grabs his dick!!! Isn't that hilarious?

Also you are required to spit on a girl.
so better than persona 5 after all

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i spit on a girl and i liked it

How'd she feel?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

so better than persona 5 after all

I mean it lets you date a guy, even if it is more half assed than the other romances, so kinda

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How'd she feel?

i never actually listen to the katy perry song so sorry if you are trying to do a call and reponse thing here i don't know how to reply >.<

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
for some reason i was under the impression that you needed to get all the djinn in dark dawn to access the final bonus dungeon and fight the final bonus boss much like in lost age but, that's not the case?? gives me even less reason to care about the one djinni i missed. crossbone isle was a disappointment though, just a series of classic golden sun jumping mazes, i remember the iteration in gs1 having more puzzle variety and also those miniboss encounters guarding each room

the way you access it is pretty neat though, you have to talk to a specific npc in the little epilogue celebration who points you toward an ambitious explorer in a different city. so you reload your cleared save and go find the guy and he'll board your ship, guiding you to a hidden whirlpool that leads beyond the edge of the world

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cross Code is a puzzle platforming game with some combat thrown in to break it up a little.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I tried this the other day because it's one of the Saga games I haven't played and I couldn't stand the character models.... I realize this is a poor reason not to play a RPG but now I am playing Dragon Age 2 for the first time instead so maybe I just like making bad decisions. Enjoying DA2 fairly well so far though the lack of dev time is incredibly obvious in almost every single section and aspect of the game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr E posted:

I tried this the other day because it's one of the Saga games I haven't played and I couldn't stand the character models.... I realize this is a poor reason not to play a RPG but now I am playing Dragon Age 2 for the first time instead so maybe I just like making bad decisions. Enjoying DA2 fairly well so far though the lack of dev time is incredibly obvious in almost every single section and aspect of the game.

Please look up in the interior areas and enjoy the ceilings that a dev spent a lot of time making.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr E posted:

Not liking a game's aesthetics is a perfectly valid reason to not really enjoy a game, even if other people do enjoy said game.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, it's why I've never played FF7. It's a fair enough reason and it's better that you admit it than try to make up some other reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
im so scared to finish arc 2 of dragon quest 11... but I really want her back, guys :(