Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What do you mean, nah? That's literally the text of the book. I just checked the kindle version of Eye of the World and it's brought up once before the end of the book.

Thom mentions it at some point yeah, so there *is* foreshadowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
The Horn of Valere is actually brought up 3 times before the end. Twice in chapter 15 Strangers and Friends, once at the beginning and once at the end, and then again in chapter 26 Whitebridge.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Actually like six to seven different chapters where it's mentioned (repeatedly, on most of those occasions) scattered rather evenly throughout the book - including mentions of the Great Hunt for the Horn which is explained in an early chapter to be about the same thing

Edit something something TV show I guess

E2 yeah between seven and nine separate instances where it's explicit brought up: chpt 13, 15, 15 again way later on, 15 yet again a while after that, 17, 26, 26 again several pages later (like a whole bunch of times), 35, and then it's discovered in 52. Oh god why am I doing this send help

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 11, 2023

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Alright, I amend my statement to "it's mentioned three times" in an 800-page book and it's discovery at the end of Eye of the World is similarly out of the blue, like at the end of season 1. The characters are not looking for it, it just happens to be there, which mirrors the book, was my main point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There sure seems to be a lot of book discussion in the non book WoT thread

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

There sure seems to be a lot of book discussion in the non book WoT thread
To be fair, they aren’t discussing any book spoilers. ;)

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

Data Graham posted:

I will say that just because the show may have mentioned or alluded to those things once or twice (mostly in the previous season) doesn't necessarily mean it's been great about building them up dramatically or framing them with the appropriate context in these recent episodes.

I know who Lanfear is but in watching the episode I was thinking "Ok, neat, but how will a TV-only audience know what the big deal is? This could have been handled better"

Can't remember how it's timed in the books but maybe the reveal could have been later in the season, if possible. Good case for a rewrite of that bit of the plot I reckon

DoctorRobert fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 12, 2023

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

A good example of that was last ep where Nynaeve gets her exposition dump in regards to the Trial of the Arches and she isn't even aware of how it functions or where they are going and yet later on we are shown that her friends know about this place and the Trials (the "new girl", can't remember the name right now, even talks about past people that went missing in the Arches so its even a common event and knowledge). So that exposition didn't happen to Nynaeve, it was purely there for the audience but didn't really make sense for the character and didn't add anything to the character.
Its another situation where information is held back or not explored earlier in a more elegant way and then dumped all at once just because the show wanted to make the whole lead up to it more mysterious/dramatic.

I have to disagree with this summary. Nynaeve is from a place where they know almost nothing about the Aes Sedai and certainly not their ceremonies. She has to be introduced to them and it makes sense that an organization with as much a love of ssecrecyand mystery would wait to tell her. Elayne, the new girl, knows about it because she's the equivalent of a person who gets a job where she interned. She already knows many of the rumors, although I'm not certain that it was established she knew what is on the other side of the arches.

We've also had examples where the show hasn't explained everything immediately like with the Forsaken and the little statues or the early reveal that everyone is living in a world that is still recovering from an apocalypse, so I'd say the writers are capable of giving out information in more subtle ways.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Probably shouldn't be discussing the books in this thread at all tbh. Goons are pretty smart and can read between the lines. That plus...

DTurtle posted:

This episode has another reveal that was extremely obvious as a book reader, but somewhat missable as a non-book reader. I won’t mention what, as I have seen people in this thread and in reaction videos miss it or miss the significance of what they saw.

Nobody has missed the significance of the Lanfear reveal.

...posts like this are really really bad ngl.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I find it amusing that the thread title is prefaced in all caps saying no book spoilers, and yet...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What do you mean, nah? That's literally the text of the book. I just checked the kindle version of Eye of the World and it's brought up once before the end of the book.

You did a word search for Horn of Valere, didn't you? Now do every possible variation on Hunters of the Horn, we'll wait.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Probably shouldn't be discussing the books in this thread at all tbh. Goons are pretty smart and can read between the lines. That plus...

...posts like this are really really bad ngl.
I‘ll explain after the next episode releases. As it should then be extremely double-clear obvious.

Also, this has all been brought up in the context of some goons complaining that hitting them with a sledge hammer in the face wasn’t noticeable enough.

The Watchword
May 21, 2007
I'm counting to ten.
Nap Ghost

DTurtle posted:

I‘ll explain after the next episode releases. As it should then be extremely double-clear obvious.

Also, this has all been brought up in the context of some goons complaining that hitting them with a sledge hammer in the face wasn’t noticeable enough.

i think you’re missing the point. telling folks they missed something you as a book reader found obvious is itself a spoiler (and also just kinda annoying). saying you’ll “explain” later is doubling down on the problem (and once again annoying).

the show is the show and people should be allowed to watch and interpret it without the interference or judgment of literacy privileged nerds.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Knowing that the test involves "The arches" and that sometimes women don't come back is not the same as knowing what happens when you go through the arches.

That is covered by the "info dump" (lol) which is a few lines of dialogue explaining it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I was hoping the arches would be an artifact from our time

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's also been some other very subtle reveals that simple-minded non-book readers might have missed:

- Rand is the Chosen One
- Nynaeve can channel
- Mat is a loving idiot

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

- Mat is a loving idiot

You take that back! You take that back and say you’re sorry! :mad:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Vim Fuego posted:

I was hoping the arches would be an artifact from our time

This actually brings to mind a question I have about the show but not, strictly speaking, the books (I am a simple-minded, crayon-eating, drooling Not-A-WoT-Reader).

Here's what I mean - very very simplified, the actual specific lore doesn't matter: I understand that the wheel of time refers, in very brief, to a cycle of death and rebirth. In the show's case we're like 3000 years post-post-apocalypse - we've seen the demolished remains of what we'd call modern skyscrapers.

We've struggled our way to the middle ages, near enough.

But is that all? Like, in Discworld, in the early ones at least, the fact the World Is A Disc is intimately bound up in the plots of the stories.

Thus, in WoT, surely some long-hidden undiscovered technology from the past could be unearthed and spur <something>? In WoT, surely we are supposed to see another apocalypse and a turning of the wheel, if ya like, and a new set of characters at some point? A multi-thousand year timeskip?

So the question is, does the show follow through on its premise?

Or is WoT really just a setting, so you can have fantasy set in the middle ages with swords and dragons and magic, but folk are a bit more enlightened about germs?

(As an example, a movie that actually follows through on its premise: 2011 horror The Cabin In The Woods.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

The idea is only four episodes old at this point (the big sci-fi reveal was only at the end of episode 8 last season) and this season has been fiddlefarting around with a lot of new factions so far... so IMO no.

But now that door is opened I wouldn't put it past the show to have Selene pull out a laser gun, or to be revealed to actually have a metal body under all that ruined flesh. I was joking before about her being a Terminator, but if that's where they're going with this that'd be potentially really cool.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rarity posted:

- Rand is the Chosen One

What the gently caress? Where is this EVER explained in the show?

The Watchword
May 21, 2007
I'm counting to ten.
Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

There's also been some other very subtle reveals that simple-minded non-book readers might have missed:

- Rand is the Chosen One
- Nynaeve can channel
- Mat is a loving idiot

reported for spoilers. nynaeve can’t really channel until book 27.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Only Kindness posted:

This actually brings to mind a question I have about the show but not, strictly speaking, the books (I am a simple-minded, crayon-eating, drooling Not-A-WoT-Reader).

Here's what I mean - very very simplified, the actual specific lore doesn't matter: I understand that the wheel of time refers, in very brief, to a cycle of death and rebirth. In the show's case we're like 3000 years post-post-apocalypse - we've seen the demolished remains of what we'd call modern skyscrapers.

But is that all? Like, in Discworld, in the early ones at least, the fact the World Is A Disc is intimately bound up in the plots of the stories.

Thus, in WoT, surely some long-hidden undiscovered technology from the past could be unearthed and spur <something>? In WoT, surely we are supposed to see another apocalypse and a turning of the wheel, if ya like, and a new set of characters at some point? A multi-thousand year timeskip?

Or is WoT really just a setting, so you can have fantasy set in the middle ages with swords and dragons and magic, but folk are a bit more enlightened about germs?

(As an example, a movie that actually follows through on its premise: 2011 horror The Cabin In The Woods.)
Why stop at simultaneously bolding and underling phrases? You should triple the size and make it italics too. Anyway, the show? The show hasn't done any huge timeskips so far (barring the previous Dragon Reborn flashback), or brought about the apocalypse, and it's up to personal interpretation if the various questionably-understood magic artifacts from the past farting around in the present qualifies as long-hidden tech spurring stuff, so I'd say that, so far at least, the show doesn't follow through on its premise. As for the books, trying to go off just book 1 and show changes from book 1, there's more to the cyclical nature of time than just "so the wheel takes a long as gently caress time to turn."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grundulum posted:

You take that back! You take that back and say you’re sorry! :mad:

Speaking as someone who loves Mat: Mat is indeed a loving idiot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking as someone who loves Mat: Mat is indeed a loving idiot.

Mat is my favourite character precisely because he's a loving idiot

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Everyone's a loving idiot, though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Only Kindness posted:

It remains to be seen if the show will make a big deal of it. The intro Moirarine gives at the very start of s1e1 -

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again."

So "our time" would be multiple ages ago since we aren't, as far as I can tell, in the Age of Legends. Stuff from our time would be mythical, like trying to find out the true events that became the stories that eventually became the bible. I wouldn't expect laser guns, but then again Ishamael is wearing a very nice suit so who knows.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nine-gear crow posted:

What the gently caress? Where is this EVER explained in the show?

I hate that I can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

Also, responding to a different post, Elayne is the heir to the throne of a (seemingly) major nation, of course she would know a bunch of stuff about the Aes Sedai that others wouldn't, and her explaining it to one of those people is also the perfect way to do an "infodump" for the audience.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Finally caught up on the show, really enjoying it.

Least favorite part of this season so far is the Lan / Moiraine mess, I get why they're doing it but it's just underbaked relative to everything else.

Best part is all the actors just absolutely killing it. Like, any given thing the writers are doing, ok, that's a choice, it might be a good or a bad one, whatever, but holy poo poo that is Elayne on screen, that is Lanfear, hot drat

Only Kindness posted:

This question has an answer in the book thread but it's too early to tell in the show thread. The book series is fifteen books long. If the whole series were a two hour movie, we've seen about the first ten minutes.

Calenth fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 13, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

IcePhoenix posted:

I won’t believe it until I see Rand walking through cairhein while a gravely voiced man sings an acoustic cover of Taylor swift’s antihero

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I am the Amyrlin Seat of shitposting.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

I won’t believe it until I see Rand walking through cairhein while a gravely voiced man sings an acoustic cover of Taylor swift’s antihero

Sadly, Taylor Swift's catalog was destroyed in the First Age when the giants Mosk and Merk fought with their lances of fire that reach around the world.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pseudorandom name posted:

Sadly, Taylor Swift's catalog was destroyed in the First Age when the giants Mosk and Merk fought with their lances of fire that reach around the world.

Rand stumbles into lanfears room in cairhein and discovers the full lyrics to blank space written in blood on the wall

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The idea is only four episodes old at this point (the big sci-fi reveal was only at the end of episode 8 last season)

poo poo gently caress maybe I'm one of the bad TV watchers too because what the heck was this? Sci fi reveal in episode 8? Post apocalypse? I just did a rewatch of season 1 last week and I missed all of that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

poo poo gently caress maybe I'm one of the bad TV watchers too because what the heck was this? Sci fi reveal in episode 8? Post apocalypse? I just did a rewatch of season 1 last week and I missed all of that

The age of legends was the setting of the cold open for the 8th episode of season 1. They have that long pan shot out the window where you see the skyscrapers and flying cars and stuff.

Edit: which I think you also see the ruins of earlier in the show but I'm fuzzier on that

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Phenotype posted:

Start of episode 8 actually: the cold open was in the last age with the big city and aircraft and all. Though its ruins were shown in like the first episode, all overgrown looking like part of the landscape.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The Age of Legends still took place in a high fantasy setting, so all the technology is rooted in the One Power rather than science. Ter'angreals with specific magical functions are rare cherished artifacts by the present-day Aes Sedai, but for all we know they were household tools you could pick up at Lews-Mart down the street. I had one specific example in mind but I'll avoid it since we get real mad about book stuff here.

So while the AoL was way more advanced than society is post-Breaking, it's not robots and laser guns. Maybe robots and laser guns made of magic though? :haw:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Killer robot posted:

Start of episode 8 actually: the cold open was in the last age with the big city and aircraft and all. Though its ruins were shown in like the first episode, all overgrown looking like part of the landscape.

Yeah, it's the scene where Lews Therin's like "Imma go stick my dick in the One Power and kill the Dark One with it" and the AoL Amyrlin Seat's like "Please don't do that, it will probably be very bad" and he's like "I'm Lews Therin Telamon, I'm god, what could possibly go wron[EVERYONE DIED]".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I like how the main guy is named Lewis Therin. Like Colin Robinson or something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
He wishes he could wield a fraction of Colin Robinson's power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CainFortea posted:

The age of legends was the setting of the cold open for the 8th episode of season 1. They have that long pan shot out the window where you see the skyscrapers and flying cars and stuff.

Oh, that place! Huh, I didn't take that as a huge reveal for some reason. There's a common trope that's like "ancient civilizations had technology that we've forgotten," which I guess is technically a post-apocalypse, but it doesn't feel like it the same way that say, Fallout does.

I also don't think we saw enough of it to tell that life was that much different than in the present day, I figured it was just another agrarian medieval civilization with maybe some extra magic/tech stuff going on, like maybe the equivalent of Gondor with magic flying cars.

e:

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Age of Legends still took place in a high fantasy setting, so all the technology is rooted in the One Power rather than science. Ter'angreals with specific magical functions are rare cherished artifacts by the present-day Aes Sedai, but for all we know they were household tools you could pick up at Lews-Mart down the street.

ok yeah this is pretty much what I was picturing

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 13, 2023