Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zero VGS posted:

I thought MGS2 writing was too farfetched in 2001, but Kojima is basically Nostradamus
in that he said a ton of vague and outrageous poo poo that you can later ascribe to shitloads of outcomes while ignoring all the other vague and outrageous poo poo that is roundly untrue, yes, he absolutely is nostradamus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Moktaro posted:

Yeah, the reaction is gonna be more like a call over the diplomatic channel saying "We're watching you....SCUM!"

putin should have put a bucket on nato's head then he could have stolen ukraine without worry

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

HonorableTB posted:

For a country with a true nuclear triad there is no such thing as a decapitation strike. Russia, as bad off as it is, would be able to respond no matter what people think of their "readiness".
But that's the whole point: the war has laid bare the deep rot in the Russian military, such that reasonable people might question whether it can truly be said to retain a meaningful nuclear triad. That's certainly not a suggestion that this theory should be tested, just a point of inquiry which intelligence agencies have no doubt redoubled serious investigation into.

These systems have shelf lives and require costly maintenance and upkeep to sustain mission effectiveness. Everything we've seen since this invasion began suggests such are not priorities the Russian system is interested in or perhaps even capable of taking on.

And that's before even getting to NATO's expanding capabilities.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

But that's the whole point: the war has laid bare the deep rot in the Russian military, such that reasonable people might question whether it can truly be said to retain a meaningful nuclear triad. That's certainly not a suggestion that this theory should be tested, just a point of inquiry which intelligence agencies have no doubt redoubled serious investigation into.

These systems have shelf lives and require costly maintenance and upkeep to sustain mission effectiveness. Everything we've seen since this invasion began suggests such are not priorities the Russian system is interested in or perhaps even capable of taking on.

And that's before even getting to NATO's expanding capabilities.

You're right on multiple levels and this is one of the cases where I would give just about anything to be a fly on the wall of a SCIF where Russia's true nuclear capabilities are being discussed. I have a burning desire to know just how close the Sarmat is to its stated performance profile (or indeed whether the Sarmat has been deployed at all...it was supposed to enter active duty this month but I have seen nothing about it)

E: gently caress that Sarmat is such a cool design that it's a shame it had to be designed by the country least able to actually loving field them in active service. It can carry a 10 ton payload spread across 10 750kt/15 MIRV warheads, up to 24 Avangard hypersonic glide vehicles, or a combination of warheads and PENAIDS vs ABM systems. The Sarmat also has a short boost phase that drastically cuts the window where infrared satellites can track it (like the US SBIS constellation) and it can loving fly over the South Pole which few ICBMs can do (requires Fractional Orbital Bombardment capability) and if the Sarmat can do even half of this stuff it's better than anything the US currently has in use as far as ICBMs go (Minuteman III)

E2: FOBS really makes all the difference. FOBS-using weapons have no range limit, its flight path will not reveal target locations, and warheads can be directed to North America via the South Pole which negates the early detection by NORAD which has most of its over-the-horizon radar arrays facing towards the North Pole. They'd be a sucker punch and a half

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 12, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moktaro posted:

Yeah, the reaction is gonna be more like a call over the diplomatic channel saying "We're watching you....SCUM!"

The reason putin is still alive is that every time somebody tries to assassinate him, it displays the "with this character's death the threads of prophecy has been severed" message. loving Bethesda, always setting the worst npcs as essential.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Nessus posted:

I read a collection of "Barefoot Gen" my local library had, which was plenty

It seems like an open question if Joe Biden, Vlad Putin, and Xi Jinping would really end the world if Putin decided to drop a nuclear weapon on a Ukrainian formation.

And I could well see the answer to that being "No," but buddy I'm glad not to actually take the risk.

Yeah, uh, if MAD was proven not to be real, "Nuclear states can have a little tac nuke launching, as a treat" is only marginally less horrific than total nuclear exchange. "The world isn't ending tomorrow, but this section of the continent sure is"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah, uh, if MAD was proven not to be real, "Nuclear states can have a little tac nuke launching, as a treat" is only marginally less horrific than total nuclear exchange. "The world isn't ending tomorrow, but this section of the continent sure is"

here i did a render of what the most common russian nuclear warhead would do to seattle (TOPOL 800kt)

Gray circles are the crater radius and lip (180 meters radius, 86 meters deep), the first orange circle is the fireball radius (2.45km2), the next circle is the moderate blast damage radius of 5psi (6.53km) where most residential buildings collapse and injuries are universal. The next circle out is the thermal radiation radius for 3rd degree burns (11.1km) where anyone exposed to the flash gets roasted. The next circle out is the light blast damage radius of 1 psi (18.4km) where almost all windows are broken and injuries are moderate.

The mushroom cloud would reach 19km in altitude, the head diameter would be 25.4km

This is with a sub-megaton yield weapon. The vast majority of strategic nuclear weaponry possessed by nuclear states with intercontinental reach exceed this yield by a factor of 15 or more. The most powerful ICBM deployed weapon currently in the US arsenal is roughly 9x more powerful than this, that being the W-53 Titan-II warhead at 9 Megatons yield. China's current ICBM based weapons - the Dong Feng 5 - are all at 5 megaton yield per warhead. Russia's currently deployed weapons are among the weaker of the main nuclear powers but they have the most of them, so it's a moot point regardless.

Final edit I promise: this is a comparison shot between the typical Russian warhead and the American W-53, to show the vast difference in scale between kiloton and megaton

For another reference point this is what such a mushroom cloud (in downtown Seattle) would look like from my apartment 22 miles away:

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sebmojo posted:

I've seen a bunch of people being excited about NATO literally invading Russia, which would amount to the same thing.

again, 1) where and 2) why the gently caress are you reading such absolute drivel

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Alan Smithee posted:

Putin: "Get me the Z team"

The term "A-Team" is a nickname coined for U.S. Special Forces' Operational Detachments Alpha (ODA) during the Vietnam War.
As this is Putin's Special Military Operation, They would be "The P-Team". Though he may refer to the men as his "Zee-men".

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
I for one am inexpressibly excited for the bounty of samovars our polish allies will bring home to the west when nato enacts article 5.5

Rides Naked fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 12, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The term "A-Team" is a nickname coined for U.S. Special Forces' Operational Detachments Alpha (ODA) during the Vietnam War.
As this is Putin's Special Military Operation, They would be "The P-Team". Though he may refer to the men as his "Zee-men".

"Ivan, vake up, we have mission."

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Ukraine Nuclear War Anxiety Thread: Sleepless over Seattle

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Ukraine Nuclear War Anxiety Thread: Sleepless over Seattle

if it'll make rents go down, hell,

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
JFC, just bring Cinci back and make them mod for a day, just long enough to poo poo down all the freaking Nuke Chat

HonorableTB posted:

For another reference point this is what such a mushroom cloud (in downtown Seattle) would look like from my apartment 22 miles away:

You know what? Forget that, let it go, just make this thread title.

(sorry TB, love you, but what even)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

AJA posted:

JFC, just bring Cinci back and make them mod for a day, just long enough to poo poo down all the freaking Nuke Chat

You know what? Forget that, let it go, just make this thread title.

(sorry TB, love you, but what even)

I don't get many opportunities to go hog wild with my expertise and drat it I wasnt going to let that one slip thru my fingers after dealing with cinci PMing me after every sixer with a scold for what feels like months! (I am done with nukechat for what it's worth, I made the point I wanted to make regarding the previous discussion about tactical vs strategic nuclear usage and effects)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herstory Begins Now posted:

again, 1) where and 2) why the gently caress are you reading such absolute drivel

On these forums, and because it was in front of my eyes, I guess?

To be rigorously fair, it wasn't actually a bunch, it was like two posters who are known idiots. I think it's more an excess of POOPIN IS A BUTTE enthusiasm then genuine keenness for a nuclear Holocaust.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

HonorableTB posted:

I don't get many opportunities to go hog wild with my expertise and drat it I wasnt going to let that one slip thru my fingers after dealing with cinci PMing me after every sixer with a scold for what feels like months! (I am done with nukechat for what it's worth, I made the point I wanted to make regarding the previous discussion about tactical vs strategic nuclear usage and effects)
Understood. And sorry to quote you specifically

But, seriously, you brought powerpoints. Never bring powerpoints :cheeky:

(also, I hope Seattle stays safe. And Putin is a piece of poo poo).

And it's a new day and Ukraine is still free

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Haha noted I'll leave the PowerPoints for perun

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Sarmat is such a cool design

What part of the Russia's recent track record with its NATO and West-killing wunderwaffe or even normal weapon's development programs makes you think that Sarmat isn't just another grift?

And for the record I didn't imply at any point that we should attack Russia directly nor do I wish for a nuclear holocaust, I was just saying that Putin is full of poo poo declaring that they have thousands and thousands of functional nukes. Those things have shelf life and actually cost money to be kept functional, and there is nothing indicating that the subs, silos, launch vehicles, or nukes themselves would have been spared from "generals and other official pocket the maintenance and development money and leave the existing stuff to rot in place" that affects every other service arm of their military, along with the rest of the Russian state.

Only difference is that with nuclear arms you really cannot strip them to parts and sell them, but that does not mean you cannot make millions by not doing service to the 99.5% of the supply, buying off the internal officials with the money, and letting the western inspectors inspect the 0.5% which is kept in working condition.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

RBA-Wintrow posted:

"Z Men" already taken by the Brits back in 1918: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_Z_Reserve :kiddo:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

AJA posted:

Understood. And sorry to quote you specifically

But, seriously, you brought powerpoints. Never bring powerpoints :cheeky:

i enjoyed the powerpoints

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If we're talking about wacky conspircary theories, how about those guys who think nukes are fake and never worked.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Xenocides posted:

I intend to become the Bisexual Warlord of the Wastes and dress like a Mad Max villain. Join me!

Hell yeah. Time to prepare.

*watches Australian dashcam videos*

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Tunicate posted:

If we're talking about wacky conspircary theories, how about those guys who think nukes are fake and never worked.

Lmao what? What’s their take on Hiroshima and Nagasaki then?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

JustCallMeDC posted:

Lmao what? What’s their take on Hiroshima and Nagasaki then?

Lol uh were you there??? NASA cgi.

Etc etc I assume

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nessus posted:

I think a lot of people have drunk a little too deep of the online 'dur hur isn't it funny how everything's awful and we all long for death haha :) anyway my thoughts on world politics are ((recites a symptom list of major depression))' poo poo.

I do wonder how much the bad state of psychiatric healthcare in the US (and to be fair also elsewhere) has affected the mood of online discussion - because that sounds extremely familiar. Hell, the front-page of imgur, supposedly a dumb memes and cat pictures page, has a continuous trickle of "ha ha everyone else also longs for death right?" mixed in.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

here i did a render of what the most common russian nuclear warhead would do to seattle (TOPOL 800kt)

Thanks for posting this. It is both very cool and utterly terrifying.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
On the subject of people wishing to die - they probably fly Russian airlines.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1701516381735293320

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

E: gently caress that Sarmat is such a cool design

An old Patriot on auto pilot while in standby mode shot down wunderwaffe Kinzhal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jon Bois documentaries are getting weird

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
]

quote:

Former President George W. Bush said on Sunday that he was shocked to discover Yevgeny Prigozhin — the Wagner Group's founder — served him dinner more than 17 years ago.

While speaking at the Yalta European Strategy conference, Bush was asked if he felt the news of Prigozhin's death in a plane crash was "shocking" to him. The conference was held in Kyiv, but Bush joined via video call.

"No, what's shocking to me is I saw a picture the other day of a G8 summit in St. Petersburg, where he was the guy serving me the food," Bush said.
https://www.businessinsider.com/george-bush-yevgeny-prigozhin-vladimir-putin-dinner-g8-ukraine-war-2023-9

:lol:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

are those servers 12 and why are their outfits so baggy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the popes toes posted:

Not nuke grifting but grifing nonetheless
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1701335251111309769
As well as Timofeev, another officer – one of the commanders of the unit in which tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers were stored – was likewise arrested and charged.

Such instances of corruption have had very serious consequences for Russia's war effort. Large amounts of stored military equipment were found to be essentially useless, having been stripped of components, wiring and anything else of value. /end

Jesus comrade I just wanted some tanks

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Gee, guess Putins sultry smokey eyes didnt quite reveal ALL did they George?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spunkshui posted:

“Since 2000, North Korea's birth rate has exceeded its death rate; the natural growth is positive. In terms of age structure, the population is dominated by the 15–64-year-old segment (68.09%). The median age of the population is 32.9 years.”

I think we all know what’s about to happen here.
https://twitter.com/SoloFlow786/status/1374747596854468617?s=20
"do you love dear leader or do you love Kpop?"

"KPOP!!!"

"so do you love kpop or your parents?"

"KPOP!!!"

"eh close enough"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Putin has spoken :dumbbravo:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

spankmeister posted:

If you put effort into makoing your tanks reverse faster instead of going forward it means youre winning right?

I mean, your tank being able to reverse quickly is definitely a great thing. I know modern optics and weapon systems have changed things, but the ability to get behind something solid REAL loving FAST after firing and revealing your position is traditionally a real good move. Or after coming under fire suddenly. Or in general.

But it is definitely kinda comical that the year is 2023 and they are now starting to figure out that hey, maybe our loving MBT that was launched in 1980 should be able to reverse at faster than walking speed?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Dwesa posted:

I was thinking that was a sensible number

until I saw "in the current counter offensive"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Mikojan posted:

I was thinking that was a sensible number

until I saw "in the current counter offensive"

It's an extremely absurd number in all metrics. 16,000 IMVs/IFVs is half of what Puccia itself supposedly had in stock before the war, even though we know it was far less.

Terrorist Guzenko having a real moment:

zone fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 12, 2023