Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think he's tested, don't think he will, they are Blue Maga basically. I'll tell him to wait a day at least, he might have taken one dose already but that should be OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think he's tested, don't think he will, they are Blue Maga basically. I'll tell him to wait a day at least, he might have taken one dose already but that should be OK

Honestly, my main concern from starting too soon is a "rebound" resulting in your dad rejecting Paxlovid as witchcraft.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pingui posted:

Honestly, my main concern from starting too soon is a "rebound" resulting in your dad rejecting Paxlovid as witchcraft.

sadly yeah this is the main thing

the main study on this that pfizer did allowed people to start a five-day course, iirc, up to five days after exposure, at which point you basically could have a roiling infection. so like, of course the study found nothing re: prevention. i don't think anyone has done a study on what happens if you're just on paxlovid consistently including prior to exposure, as far as i know, especially not with a longer course, like 10 - 15 days. i'd really love to see someone study that but i suspect no one ever will lol. it would almost def reduce symptoms to near-zero by never allowing unchecked exponential replication, but as for infection idk

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The real struggle now is trying to get them to take a double course. My mom is a doctor, so almost certainly could get it, but they will probably be reluctant

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Soap Scum posted:

sadly yeah this is the main thing

the main study on this that pfizer did allowed people to start a five-day course, iirc, up to five days after exposure, at which point you basically could have a roiling infection. so like, of course the study found nothing re: prevention. i don't think anyone has done a study on what happens if you're just on paxlovid consistently including prior to exposure, as far as i know, especially not with a longer course, like 10 - 15 days. i'd really love to see someone study that but i suspect no one ever will lol. it would almost def reduce symptoms to near-zero by never allowing unchecked exponential replication, but as for infection idk

Yeah, there are multiple things with the study that could be mentioned. Like less aggressive variants, what you mentioned, that there was an effect but non-significant etc. I too would enjoy a study like that, because we would expect a course of Pax extending beyond infectiousness for the index case to work well as a prophylactic, possibly without an infection.

icantfindaname posted:

The real struggle now is trying to get them to take a double course. My mom is a doctor, so almost certainly could get it, but they will probably be reluctant

Maybe the roughness of her symptoms will temper the reluctance. Either way I wish you and your parents the best of luck.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

bear in mind the possible hepatic implications, and synth costs.

Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if one world leader at least was trying it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Is there any reasonable argument at all why everyone can get flu boosters yearly but the covid booster might get gatekept?

Because flu shots are just shots, they're not vaccines, thus perfectly safe

-an actual argument I've seen made

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Because flu shots are just shots, they're not vaccines, thus perfectly safe

-an actual argument I've seen made

BRB, stealing a tranq rifle from the zoo and loading it up with 5.56 vaccine cartridges

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/meetjess/status/1701425416571920773?s=46

it does everything!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hey goons, the test2treat.org site is still accepting registrations, just scroll down to the register button that they didn't disable.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Complications posted:

Hey goons, the test2treat.org site is still accepting registrations, just scroll down to the register button that they didn't disable.

lmfao

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Complications posted:

lol badass, got my test order in, thanks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Complications posted:

website design is my passion

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

also just because I'm going to bed shortly, here's a direct link to the enrollment page in case somebody fixes the front end

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Complications posted:

Lol yeah that's how I got in

Kind of irritating that the page to order tests is hidden under "Get Telehealth" instead of right there on the portal, took me a minute to find it, but I've got tests on the way! :woop:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Also early shingles activation is a thing COVID is blessing under 50s with. Still can't get SHINGRIX though.

in Thailand you can get it as a tourist even under 50, probably many other countries too

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
i got in because i still had the tab open from before they greyed out the main button

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Lots of parents and kids and staff at my kids school are sick, some have returned with masks.

It’s only been 7 school days so far

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

please welcome our newest character, the eyes are the window to the soul!

we regret to inform you the soul has covid

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ah nice to know as I had a 1h optometrist visit today where he was wearing a badly-fitting surgical and none of the other staff had any masks. He was nice enough to turn on the air purifier in one of the exam rooms (we passed by a few more in various hallways that were all unplugged next to power outlets).

Anyway remember the ocular self-healing lady who said you don't need glasses? Her masterclass says to put essential oils around your eyes instead (9/10 essential oil salespeople recommend this):

https://twitter.com/this_is_mallory/status/1700536987726524416/photo/1

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Complications posted:

lmao this owns but also lmao everything is so dumb

Complications posted:

also just because I'm going to bed shortly, here's a direct link to the enrollment page in case somebody fixes the front end
:nice:

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:26 on Sep 12, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

Maybe pointing out how fauci and others in power take double courses? Them being blue maga maybe that'll help. I was able to convince my wife to take another course of paxlovid because immediately after the 5 day course she felt like poo poo again. So there's that option too.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol got a text from the parents of my kids best friend, their child won't be at school or activities all week because their whole household got covid
:theroni:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tzen posted:

lol got a text from the parents of my kids best friend, their child won't be at school or activities all week because their whole household got covid
:theroni:
Many such cases!

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Complications posted:

Amazing lol, I checked earlier and saw the greyed out button and was bummed. Just registered and put in an order for my free tests, let’s see how this goes!

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
what's this thread's opinion on the five second rule? good? bad?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

maxwellhill posted:

I would 5 second rule in my own house but not in public.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

maxwellhill posted:

this is how the guy in osmosis jones almost died fyi

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would 5 second rule in my own house but not in public.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
got a text from one of my Covid cautious coworkers: “hey coworker X was in a meeting with me and said they have an active case of Covid but plan to still come into the office tomorrow and come to our all-staff meeting because they want to pick up a package they had delivered to the building, and anyway isn’t Covid over?, I tried to talk them out of it but maybe bring a respirator tomorrow”

lmao

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I currently have covid BUT no I don’t because lol that’s so 2020 am I right

Anyway see you tomorrow

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/sbmpediatrics/status/1701045902100603213

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Real Mean Queen posted:

I currently have covid BUT no I don’t because lol that’s so 2020 am I right

Anyway see you tomorrow

A coworker said exactly this to me like maybe one month ago.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We're starting to see shortages on over-the-counter medications here in Australia: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-12/antibiotics-children-critically-short-supply-australia/102844544

A friend of mine posted that she can't find one of her essential medications in any of the pharmacies in her area, she's going to have to go back to her GP to see if she can get switched over to an alternative

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We're starting to see shortages on over-the-counter medications here in Australia: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-12/antibiotics-children-critically-short-supply-australia/102844544

A friend of mine posted that she can't find one of her essential medications in any of the pharmacies in her area, she's going to have to go back to her GP to see if she can get switched over to an alternative

another medicine shortage due to hoarders

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Petey posted:

I tried to talk them out of it but maybe bring a respirator tomorrow”

actual lols

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

God drat that was a frustrating time on the forums, all those GBS and D&D assholes shouting that we were anti-vaxx for betraying the vaccine decorum.

Of course in retrospect it was obviously because they wanted to tear their masks off and get back to their treats

remembering things is a conspiracy theory

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't think these are good explanations.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/florida-highest-number-us-counties-moderate-covid-hospitalization/story?id=103098937 posted:

Why Florida is seeing the highest proportion of counties with 'moderate' COVID hospitalization rates
COVID hospitalizations have increased to the highest levels since January 2023.
(..)
"What is happening in Florida is that the number of cases [is] slowly creeping up," Dr. Dushyanth Jayaweera, a professor of medicine and infectious diseases expert with the University of Miami Health System and the Miller School of Medicine, told ABC News. "It's kind of anticipated. We were expecting [them] to go up in the winter, but now, this has come up even before that."
(..)
"The latest omicron variants have led to more infections but less virulent viruses," he said. "So, the important thing is that they are not as virulent as when it was with the delta and previous viruses."
(..)

Compared to delta and measles, he is correct. Not sure how relevant it is though :shrug:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
In this post i up my game...and make an UGLY GIF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pillowpants posted:

In this post i up my game...and make an UGLY GIF
(..)

Pretty normal to see the greens change to shades of orange and red in the fall though.