Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

(horrifyingly detailed demonstration of why people should not take nuclear weapons lightly)

Thank you for this post, like a lot of things in this thread it was terrifying yet informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dwesa posted:

On the subject of people wishing to die - they probably fly Russian airlines.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1701516381735293320

except Sochi dog

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Putin: "Hundreds of destroyed tanks, thousands of destroyed vehicles! Thousands of denazified xenomorphs bred in secret US biolabs! Trillions of demilitarized deathsquitos!"

Russian propaganda:
footage of the same damaged tank/vehicle for the 50th time

Something doesn't add up here. :thunk:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 12, 2023

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Dwesa posted:

Putin: "Hundreds of destroyed tanks, thousands of destroyed vehicles! Thousands of denazified xenomorphs bred in secret US biolabs! Trillions of demilitarized deathsquitos!"

Russian propaganda:
footage of the same damaged tank/vehicle for 50th time

Something doesn't add up here. :thunk:

You know what they say; if you have seen one, you have seen them all! :v:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

You know what they say; if you have seen one, you have seen them all! :v:

That's for sure :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if you abandon your own tank it is a ukrainian tank

if you destroy abandoned tank it is a ukrainian tank kill

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/cossackgundi/status/1701516047830950271

Gavrilo Princip
Feb 4, 2007

Malick23 posted:

The issue with nukes is that they need to be constantly refreshed with nuclear material. Tritium has a half-life of about 12 years and you need that to build anything bigger than a WW2 bomb. This is assuming that a trigger with a longer half-life hasn't been discovered.

It would be easier for the generals to pocket the money for refurbishment while the guys in the bunkers rip out the copper in the rockets. No one will be selling fissile material Silk Road 11 unless they want to get a visit from a bunch of very angry people.

I'd be rather interested to know if gaseous Tritium was actually the limiting factor here; in gas form it may be used to provide a boost to yield, but given the mechanism of action for a Teller-Ulam type weapon then I'd imagine you could drive a basic thermonuclear reaction simply by including lithium (or some compound of it at least) in the weapon design and allowing the neutron flux of the primary to breed sufficient Tritium at detonation time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

except Sochi dog

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:five:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Burns
May 10, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

MASTERSTROKE

Mr Lanternfly
Jun 26, 2023
Oh yes oh my oh wow

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Fishbricks are bourgeois now.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Quoting Megadeth lyrics at the family and then just handing them potatoes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"The commander ceremoniously presented the family of the fallen Russian soldier with the rest of his platoon-mates."

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dwesa posted:

I have recently learned that in the past ten years Russian airlines deliberately headhunted most military pilots straight from pilot schools. Military pilot doing bombing runs in Syria would get 100 000 rubles monthly salary (1,5k usd on prewar rates, barely above median federal salary, now are certainly higher because even cannon fodder mobiks get 200k+, but too late) while civilian pilots are paid 500k monthly. Various SEA airlines also have been offering competetive rates.

Thats also the reason why Russian airforce has not managed to secure air superiority in Ukraine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

And I thought I am catastrophically bad at picking last minute gifts from the gas station because I forgot to get one earlier.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:perfect:

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Dwesa posted:

Ngl, landing a dysfunctional 320 in a field and not have it broken up is not an easy feat

if it wasn't all so pethatic I'd say they pulled a sully with this one

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Off camera - "We take back bag of potatoes now. Need for next family photo op." Van just cruising and making stops throughout the neighborhood like a UPS truck.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mikojan posted:

Ngl, landing a dysfunctional 320 in a field and not have it broken up is not an easy feat

No poo poo, doesn't "complete failure of hydraulic systems" on an A320 mean they landed with engine power and elevator trim tabs as the only controls? That is absolutely amazing work from the aircrew.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it was covered in tires for a smoother landing

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

HonorableTB posted:

I am a literal expert in nuclear warfare and the things I had to learn in order to become one was enough to crack ping this entire thread 50 times over. As bad as people think nuclear war would be, even in the most generous limited exchange, it would be so much worse it's almost impossible to describe using written word. For gently caress's sake we had to invent a new unit of measurement in order to be able to account for the amount of dead in ANY nuclear war scenario

I would have thought you just sweep up the ashes and measure it in bushels.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Tuna-Fish posted:

No poo poo, doesn't "complete failure of hydraulic systems" on an A320 mean they landed with engine power and elevator trim tabs as the only controls? That is absolutely amazing work from the aircrew.

The tweet is probably exgagerating the hydraulic failure, since the slats / flaps are out showing they had at least some hydraulic pressure left on the green hydraulic circuit, which is the most important one

A full hydraulic failure is almost exactly like you describe though and it has happened in the past with a safe landing, which is mind blowing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Baghdad_DHL_attempted_shootdown_incident

Even then though, landing in a soft field is incredibly dangerous and requires some very good judgement / precise control

Mikojan fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Mikojan posted:

I agree, the emergency landing apparently went really well. But the second time around, I wouldn't rely on the crew's skills if I had to fly in a stolen sanctioned aircraft that was missing spare parts and for which the technicians may have been advised not to report defects.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Non western countries are with us! lol and lmao putin you short bald gently caress

zone
Dec 6, 2016

How come Puccian gas stations are out of petrol when they're supposed to be petrol exporters? :thunkin:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

zone posted:

How come Puccian gas stations are out of petrol when they're supposed to be petrol exporters? :thunkin:

Right now they are exporting it all to Ukraine to get blown up by ukrainian drones

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

You EXPORT the petrol to other countries, you don't consume it yourself, GAWD!!!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s called selfless commitment to the global market

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Doing gods work. :thumbsup:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Tai posted:

Non western countries are with us! lol and lmao putin you short bald gently caress

Why would Chinese diplomats travel to Hashenwai when it will be returned to them soon enough?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

I have recently learned that in the past ten years Russian airlines deliberately headhunted most military pilots straight from pilot schools. Military pilot doing bombing runs in Syria would get 100 000 rubles monthly salary (1,5k usd on prewar rates, barely above median federal salary, now are certainly higher because even cannon fodder mobiks get 200k+, but too late) while civilian pilots are paid 500k monthly. Various SEA airlines also have been offering competetive rates.

Thats also the reason why Russian airforce has not managed to secure air superiority in Ukraine.

It's doesn't just happen in Russia. Military flying is the cheapest way, in terms of money, to get hours and certifications in many parts of the world. It's usually expensive to the pilots in terms of time, but the .mil->civil aviation pipeline can be very lucrative for a trained pilot. Retention is a motherfucker, especially in countries with an aging population and a shrinking pool of pilot candidates.

The Japanese ASDF is a good example of this. The get one enlistment (past schooling) out of something like 2/3 of pilots, then lose them to airlines or transport companies. That kind of thing can seriously erode a whole organization, as fewer pilots rise in rank to be trainers or learn all the admin tasks needed to run a modern airforce. Some of this can be mitigated by contracting out parts of training, coming up with new terms of service regulations, and (shockingly) providing better pay, benefits, and chances for advancement. All of which the JASDF has been trying, while restrained by fairly strict Japanese rules about allowing SDF members to resign.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why not offer scholarships like they do here? Get your uni degree in whatever you subject you want paid for and a basic salary while studying and agree to do 4 years once you graduate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tai posted:

Why not offer scholarships like they do here? Get your uni degree in whatever you subject you want paid for and a basic salary while studying and agree to do 4 years once you graduate.

University is free anyway :smugmrgw:

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Some more info on that Ural A320 https://avherald.com/h?article=50e4701a&opt=0

quote:

The airline reported the green hydraulics system failed on approach to Omsk. The commander decided to divert to an airfield with longer runways, the failure of the green hydraulic system affected operation of spoilers and flaps and increased the landing distance needed. However, the landing gear doors remained open as result of the hydraulic failure and could not be closed. Together with strong headwinds this increased the fuel consumption. The commander realized they could not make it to Novosibirsk and decided to land in an open field with the gear extended. 6 busses have been dispatched to the landing site and take the passengers to Omsk and Novosibirsk. The passengers were supplied with food, water and chargers for mobile phones, the luggage has been handed to the passengers, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

To add on to my last post:

Imagine you already have a well established airforce, plenty of educated and qualified pilot candidates (they have to be officers, after all), and a goverment willing to spend money to keep up capabilities. The weather is frequently lovely where you are located, so you decide to train someplace rather milder in climate, with year 'round flying weather. Luckily, a main supplier of your arms just so happens to be able to provide that service, allowing you to base entire units in their country. Now, you'll have to pay for this privilege, and give back to your host by cross-training, integrating operations, and maybe even hosting them in your country in turn.

That is all fantastically expensive and requires a good bit of diplomacy and reliance on what good will you can establish, while being subject to domestic policies and public opinion (which may change quicker than your training pipeline can adapt). You still bleed pilots, becoming ever more reliant on contractors and other outside parties to keep everything going. If that goes on for long enough, there's no one in your own organization who knows how the systems, which you spent rather a lot of treasure and time acquiring, work. Those folks are long gone, and they're not coming back for love or money. Now you have, "black trades", jobs for which there is no way for you to train new people.

Back to square one, building everything from scratch with the help of your better trained and equipped allies and whatever contractors you can find. More money, more problems, and you still bleed trained personnel.

On, and on, and on...