Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

In this post i up my game...and make an UGLY GIF

we never get fall colors in my region except for this lol

edit: lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
More rational and less complete dog poo poo than expected, considering the author. Again I submit that after her hospital stay, she seems to have a better understanding of what endemic COVID actually entails.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/12/long-covid-pandemic-kaine-treatment/ posted:

Covid is here to stay. That means long covid is, too.
By Leana S. Wen

Covid-19 is now endemic, meaning the coronavirus is here to stay and health officials must pivot from treating it like a one-time emergency to managing the disease in perpetuity. The same must be true of long covid.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that about 6 percent of American adults have lingering symptoms from covid infection. But despite the condition’s prevalence, much about long covid remains a mystery. Most distressing is the fact that there is no cure for it.

This needs to change. Key to living with covid is reckoning with its consequences, which includes having a plan to treat those afflicted with post-covid conditions.
(..)
In the meantime, researchers must make it a top priority to find lasting relief for patients suffering from post-viral conditions, ME/CFS and related illnesses. Those who question continued investment should keep in mind that long covid could one day impact them, too. Taking it seriously is the price we must pay for returning to life without pandemic-era restrictions.

Naturally it is still coping and minimizing, merely less so.

Archived link: https://archive.li/CJ3u5

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
avoid Covid? no
send researchers to the long Covid mines until they make a cure

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
On the other hand this is as completely idiotic as you would expect:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/covid-vaccine-booster-experts-ucsf-wachter-18359877.php posted:

Why UCSF’s Bob Wachter says COVID subvariant BA.2.86 is the ‘scariant of the moment’

Dr. Bob Wachter, UCSF’s chief of medicine, hosted his first COVID roundtable discussion since June late last week, aiming to assess the current pandemic trajectory amid a summer wave of infections and hospitalizations in the Bay Area.

For the introductory Grand Rounds of the new academic year, he brought together three well-known UCSF infectious disease experts with “different but mutually respectful perspectives” — Dr. Monica Gandhi, Dr. George Rutherford and Dr. Peter Chin-Hong.
(..)
Nevertheless, the consensus emerged that there is “a small COVID surge” underway based on changes in hospitalization metrics and wastewater surveys.

Over the past month, hospitalizations in California jumped by more than 83%, rising from a daily average of 209 admissions to 383, according to state health department data published Friday. The state’s test positivity rate is also up to 13.7% after falling as low as 3.4% at the beginning of the summer. Wastewater samples from Bay Area sewersheds indicated a doubling of the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 virus since July, underscoring a steady upward trajectory.
(..)
Considering variant threats
The panelists expressed little concern about the EG.5 variant — an omicron descendent that accounts for about 22% of cases nationwide — because its spike proteins are similar to those on XBB.1.5, which the forthcoming booster shots target. The vaccine could be available as early as Wednesday.

Turning their attention to the latest variant of concern, BA.2.86, Wachter described it as “the scariant of the moment,” noting that if you look at the spike protein, “it looks like it’s mutated up the ying-yang.”

Chin-Hong said while the new variant has more than 30 mutations on its spike protein — equivalent to the evolutionary leap between delta to omicron — its prevalence remains low worldwide, and at least four recent international studies have found that existing antibodies can neutralize it.

“People are calling it a paper tiger now because it looks really scary, but it’s just made of paper,” he said, emphasizing that there is still much to learn about the virus.
(..)

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Unfortunately, having just checked, it looks like the test2treat site has actually disabled all of the registration buttons and replaced the enrollment page with a shut down notice. I chose to believe a massive goon rush was responsible. Well done getting those tests everybody.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Complications posted:

Unfortunately, having just checked, it looks like the test2treat site has actually disabled all of the registration buttons and replaced the enrollment page with a shut down notice. I chose to believe a massive goon rush was responsible. Well done getting those tests everybody.

I just signed up 15 minutes ago or so with no issues. It must have just gone down.

ETA: yeah, looks like I made it just under the wire.

Castaign has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Sep 12, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

:iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam::iiam:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Anita Ward lol

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

"Key to living with covid is reckoning with its consequences, which includes having a plan to treat those afflicted with post-covid conditions."

so leana has long covid, then

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The rest of my life is just going to be an increasingly absurd series of articles wondering why bad thing happen now

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Today's ACIP meeting is in progress and the presentation slides have been uploaded here. There is a lot of information, looks like it will be a long meeting. Especially interesting are the "Economic Analysis of Vaccination" and "Evidence to Recommendations Framework" presentations. One interesting result from the economic analysis finds that COVID boosters in the 65+ age range likely save society money overall, while in the 18-49 year age range the estimated tradeoff is $115,588 per QALY. I think that's worth it! Overall it appears likely everyone in the US >6 months will be eligible for the updated shots.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 16:57 on Sep 12, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

bedpan posted:

remembering things is a conspiracy theory

The memory hole is completely full and overflowing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

Pretty normal to see the greens change to shades of orange and red in the fall though.

it’s just a little uptick in immunity nothing to see here

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

lol just noticed that the economic analysis presented at ACIP evaluating the benefit of boosters in terms of cost per QALY is assuming the boosters cost the private market price-gouging $120 amount instead of the previous $30 / dose. So the tradeoff for another round of boosters in the 18-49 year old age range should be something more like $28750 / QALY. That would be a bargain for society but less profit for pharma so instead the price per dose was set high enough that the cost-effectiveness is questionable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

On the other hand this is as completely idiotic as you would expect:

We brought together diverse perspectives ranging from "that time I almost died with covid not of covid was no big deal" to "i might have long covid but be quiet about it because any admission of physical weakness is death in our nightmare society so let's continue to pretend this isn't happening" and all agreed, the fiction is better than the horrifying reality

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

lol just noticed that the economic analysis presented at ACIP evaluating the benefit of boosters in terms of cost per QALY is assuming the boosters cost the private market price-gouging $120 amount instead of the previous $30 / dose. So the tradeoff for another round of boosters in the 18-49 year old age range should be something more like $28750 / QALY. That would be a bargain for society but less profit for pharma so instead the price per dose was set high enough that the cost-effectiveness is questionable.

Cost/benefit analysis when the cost component is set by price-gouging private companies is just an excuse to say better things aren't possible

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I made an appointment for next tuesday at CVS and it's saying that it's for the Phizer Bivalent- is that the correct new one?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I made an appointment for next tuesday at CVS and it's saying that it's for the Phizer Bivalent- is that the correct new one?

Nope, cancel it. You want the monovalent XBB. The bivalent is the old one they brought out last year

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Are they even allowed to put those bivalents in arms anymore at this point?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I can report a 100% increase in COVID cases. After three years, I let y mask discipline slip. Started feeling lousy Sunday, tested positive today.

ONLY MASK TRUST

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Insanite posted:

Nope! They're not supposed to anymore but ya know, it takes time for the word to get out

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Failson posted:

I can report a 100% increase in COVID cases. After three years, I let y mask discipline slip. Started feeling lousy Sunday, tested positive today.

ONLY MASK TRUST

that’s an infinite increase not 100%

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

NeonPunk posted:

Nope, cancel it. You want the monovalent XBB. The bivalent is the old one they brought out last year

This is crazy what the hell

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
another unexplained respiratory illness but the rapid test came back negative. covid is so over.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This is crazy what the hell

Ehh, you can prolly keep the appointment and hope that they have the right stuff by then.

Might be smart actually to look around to book something! Although I'm kinda hoping my local public health has already ordered some in (orders were open a month ago!) and we can trundle down there tomorrow.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No. That's the old one.

Also, some funny stuff in these slides:

The "this will only affect other people not you" messaging has been fully effective.

On slide 90 in the recommendations deck, only 57% of healthcare providers recommend patients keep their tetanus shot up to date (what the gently caress)

Black people have the lowest overall confidence in the safety of the vaccine but are the most likely to definitely want the updated shot because they're also the most worried about getting hosed up by covid.

Nocturtle posted:

It's going to be pretty interesting if they don't do a universal recommendation because the working group is pretty clear in these slides that's the preferred outcome across all the different evaluation criteria they looked at, and it looks like they went for a very simplified recommendation framework this time: everybody aged 4+ gets an updated shot of whichever, 6 months-4 years get one but the recommendations about which one are more specific to what if anything they've already received.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Baddog posted:

Ehh, you can prolly keep the appointment and hope that they have the right stuff by then.

Might be smart actually to look around to book something! Although I'm kinda hoping my local public health has already ordered some in (orders were open a month ago!) and we can trundle down there tomorrow.

Yeah I'm keeping my appointment and trying to find out what the hell.

Edit: the CVS is not to far, I'm just going to go over there and ask directly.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

They are until the ACIP vote

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

They are until the ACIP vote

That's supposed to be today, yeah?

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know if anyone else looks at the garbage clickbait news stories that pop up when you click the weather on your Taskbar in Windows, but every single Covid related story has a huge number of downvotes. I can just envision someone sitting at their computer, silently turning red as they angrily click the thumbs-down button, veins bulging dangerously out of their foreheads. Have fun at Applebee's, fuckers.

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006
how soon after an exposure should i be testing? I have 1 lucira and some rapids, I assume the rapids are less accurate if I have no symptoms.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

an owls casket posted:

I don't know if anyone else looks at the garbage clickbait news stories that pop up when you click the weather on your Taskbar in Windows, but every single Covid related story has a huge number of downvotes. I can just envision someone sitting at their computer, silently turning red as they angrily click the thumbs-down button, veins bulging dangerously out of their foreheads. Have fun at Applebee's, fuckers.

It's astroturfing from Eglin Air Force Base, there's a reason why every anti-caution voice had the same exact talking points.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TheDestructinator posted:

how soon after an exposure should i be testing? I have 1 lucira and some rapids, I assume the rapids are less accurate if I have no symptoms.

48 hours is the earliest an amplification test like a lucira is likely to show a positive if you've actually got it, but if you only have one id wait for at least 3 days. rapids probably wont be positive until you're symptomatic, but if you have a lot of them i would start doing daily serial testing at 2 days and continue for a week or until you get symptoms. false positives on rapids are extremely unlikely.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
posted at some point maybe? in case you missed it!
https://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1701493650616643645?s=20

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

an owls casket posted:

:mad:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol I love these media source names that rotate like the fake brand names on Amazon

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

TheDestructinator posted:

New variants show faster I believe but 1-3 days, I'd probably wait 2 days without symptoms.

Unrelated, I was at a retail place over the weekend, saw probably 100+ people, I was the only mask. It's getting lonely out there!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
lol

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

6 months-4 years get one but the recommendations about which one are more specific to what if anything they've already received.

drat it I hope they do not make that official because I got my kid Moderna and now no one in the region carries the Moderna for infants so if they won't let her get anything other than Moderna that's no different than saying she can't get a booster at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Aw cmon wtf they're delaying the new novavax