Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Magnetic North posted:

That's the good stuff. Once I hung up I felt that there would be a way through if I wasn't so loving annoyed. It's the first time that I one of the "I am obviously a non-technical speed bump" screeners resist so hard. It's usually the "I've been doing this for 20 years and you listen here you little poo poo"

I had a guy pull this on me once. I laughed long and hard until he hung up on me. I couldn't help it, it was too funny how proud and toweringly arrogant he was about having been a scumsucking bottomfeeding recruiter for 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I've been job hunting for awhile now, and I'm not really making any progress. Clearly I need to adjust my resume ( linked below ) into the 'Past Tense Verb' : "Action" : ( Result ) format but am having trouble doing that. Presumably I want to put my job description details on my LinkedIn, not my resume.

https://www.docdroid.net/UulMXhO/forgoons-1-pdf

Something I am wrestling with is including my grad school. All of my work experience occurred before going back to school. I obtained my undergraduate degree, and then went to grad school, but I did not graduate with my masters. I'm really not sure what to include with this.

I've been looking for generic 'introductory' business/financial analyst positions, data science roles, and contact center workforce management positions, to no avail.

Are there any resources for people who are terrible at looking for jobs? I'm in a real rut and I just do not know how to proceed.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah it went like this.

:abuela: What is your expecation?
:words: *elaborate and extended flim-flam that ends with me asking for the range* (most recruiters stop here)
:abuela: Okay, but what is your expectation?
:rolleyes: Well, what's the range?
:abuela: I can only say after you've said a range.
:mad: Well, why don't you tell me the range and then I'll tell you?
:abuela: I cannot say until you say a range, then I can send it to the hiring manager.
:tizzy: *hangs up*

That's the good stuff. Once I hung up I felt that there would be a way through if I wasn't so loving annoyed. It's the first time that I one of the "I am obviously a non-technical speed bump" screeners resist so hard. It's usually the "I've been doing this for 20 years and you listen here you little poo poo" old guys who give me poo poo. Not that I put up with it from them either, of course.

This is very annoying but I'm shocked that everyone is so married to NEVER say a number first. This phone screening person being an idiot doesn't merit jumping to the conclusion that your actual boss will be too.

When interviewing I have a "just say yes, don't negotiate" price. I do a lot of research and say a number that I'm almost blushing to ask, and I dont blush easily. If you arent excellent at asalary research, something like 2x your current total comp. So if I was currently making $100k and in that conversation it'd go more like:

:abuela: What is your salary expectation?
:words:[i] I don't know enough about the position's requirements yet to say a number. Whats the range?
:abuela: Okay, but what is your salary expectation?
:words: my "just say yes price is $200k", whats the range for this position?

They might say youre too far out of range and thats that, but thats what they get for not anchoring. They might then let the conversation proceed by telling you the range in which case you just say: "This job seems exciting I'd certainly consider [top of range]?"

I prefer to anchor in most negotiations if I come in to those negotiations with a ton of research.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CarForumPoster posted:

This is very annoying but I'm shocked that everyone is so married to NEVER say a number first. This phone screening person being an idiot doesn't merit jumping to the conclusion that your actual boss will be too.

When interviewing I have a "just say yes, don't negotiate" price. I do a lot of research and say a number that I'm almost blushing to ask, and I dont blush easily. If you arent excellent at asalary research, something like 2x your current total comp. So if I was currently making $100k and in that conversation it'd go more like:

:abuela: What is your salary expectation?
:words:[i] I don't know enough about the position's requirements yet to say a number. Whats the range?
:abuela: Okay, but what is your salary expectation?
:words: my "just say yes price is $200k", whats the range for this position?

They might say youre too far out of range and thats that, but thats what they get for not anchoring. They might then let the conversation proceed by telling you the range in which case you just say: "This job seems exciting I'd certainly consider [top of range]?"

I prefer to anchor in most negotiations if I come in to those negotiations with a ton of research.

Anchoring high (and at the early stage, unrealistically high) is actually the best strategy overall. The "Never Say a Number" thing helps when you don't even know your worth, and is generally easier than most people's strategy of "Give a low number not to scare them off". I think most people would be best having a few strategies like this one ready to go as well.

Grevlek posted:

I've been job hunting for awhile now,

What kinds of jobs are you looking for? Do you intend to finish the masters or no?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Slopsucking recruiters aren't worth the effort.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Lockback posted:

What kinds of jobs are you looking for? Do you intend to finish the masters or no?

No, I doubt I will finish my masters program. I was in applied economics, focusing on Econometrics and Data Science.

I've been applying for Analyst positions, whether that is business, process, or financial. I had a phone screen scheduled for this role, but apparently it was filled the morning of my call. https://olivia.paradox.ai/co/TacoJohnsInternationalInc/Job?job_id=PDX_TJII_8FDF70F2-0F1D-4500-8E59-6F2D19DAB288_22051284

I've also been applying for Workforce Management positions, supporting contact centers. For example, this job is absolutely something I should be able to 'do' and I think I would be an appealing candidate for.
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/collections/recommended/?currentJobId=3715351290

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Grevlek posted:

No, I doubt I will finish my masters program. I was in applied economics, focusing on Econometrics and Data Science.

I've been applying for Analyst positions, whether that is business, process, or financial. I had a phone screen scheduled for this role, but apparently it was filled the morning of my call. https://olivia.paradox.ai/co/TacoJohnsInternationalInc/Job?job_id=PDX_TJII_8FDF70F2-0F1D-4500-8E59-6F2D19DAB288_22051284

I've also been applying for Workforce Management positions, supporting contact centers. For example, this job is absolutely something I should be able to 'do' and I think I would be an appealing candidate for.
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/collections/recommended/?currentJobId=3715351290

Twin Cities Represent!

So that Zillow job probably has 500+ applicants. Not saying you can't land those jobs but they are getting buried so thats just luck if a human even looks at it.

Your resume is kinda rough. Normally I'd say remove the Graduate school stuff but that would mean you'd have a 16 month internship(??) as the only thing in the last 5 years. And is that actually an internship? Is there maybe a better title for that?

Maybe it might be better to focus solely on the research you did at the university instead of framing it as an incomplete degree?

Do you have a github to show off any Python or R projects?

Were the two Regional Banks the same bank or different ones?

Do you feel like you would have more things to add to this? As it is it has a lot of white space and feels flimsy. You could re-arrange to add more to it, but if it would be filler then that wouldn't really help.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Grevlek posted:

I've been job hunting for awhile now, and I'm not really making any progress.

Same thing I always say: I'm not a hiring manager or an HR pro. Just a software dev who has helped friends (now probably more goons, actually) punch up resumes. If anyone contradicts me, listen to them.

This document's formatting is a little rough. Why is everything formatted so far to the left, rather than filling the page? It doesn't even reach over to the top of the green bar at the top that seems to establish a margin. It gives everything this claustrophobic, unreadable quality.

One thing I always repeat from the OP: "your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience." Now, the way I write resumes, I know that realistically you don't always have a full bevvy of accomplishments, but I like to start with accomplishments on top of enough unique interesting duties to fill out the page when necessary.

Did you do anything specifically interesting in your coursework? Any interesting projects to describe where you used R to access some dataset or something? Even if you don't have code or anything to show off, you could describe something you did instead of just saying "coursework". In the intern days, did you impress anyone with an ability to work out an issue? Did you ever save the company money?

For your skills, you have so few listed. If you understand SQL, do you understand relational databases? What about non-relational DBs? I don't know Python, but is there anything more to say? How confident are you in it?

I have no idea how to format this. I would normally suggest removing old history because I don't know how relevant it is, but if you didn't graduate that is a tougher sell. I don't know about putting coursework as "experience" because typically that means Work Experience, but I can see you're trying to make your resume read like a normal resume instead of a new student resume because of that. I wonder if just leaving the section untitled with dates might serve better, but there is still a big gap in there from 2018 to May 2020. What were you doing? You don't have to answer me, but if you put those older jobs on there you need to be prepared to field questions about it. Maybe a clean break is correct, and you can focus on coursework?

Are "business/financial analyst positions, data science roles" and "contact center workforce management" two separate things? Maybe you could have one "I'm a student" resume for the first one, and a historical "I've been around the block" for the second one.

What was the that competition you got first place in? Would an employer care? It's the most impressive sounding thing on your resume, but it was also a little while ago.

Finally, I don't know why you aren't finishing your degree and I am not going to judge. But someone out there might, so you will want to be prepared to explain that. It may or may not be a negative experience for you. So, just in case, I'm going to quote myself from a little while ago for my advice for when you have to cover bad topics in an interview:

Magnetic North posted:

Regardless of what you say, be ready. Practice. Say it out loud in the mirror. Write it down and repeat it. Then change up a few words and keep saying it. Then, see if you can answer the question a few times in a row off the top of your head but without precise robotic repetition. This isn't just because you want them to believe you. You want to be able to answer quickly, easily, and naturally. If you have to think and relay the chain of events, you might get emotional during the interview, and if that happens it's game over. Regardless of how open minded and sympathetic they are, you need to keep it under control. Repeat it until it doesn't raise up much feelings at all and can reply easily, almost offhandedly.

I think we need to formulate a real plan of attack before getting into the nitty gritty of fixing grammar and all that other stuff. Hopefully whatever answers you can find to these questions will give us some direction.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Lockback posted:

Twin Cities Represent!

So that Zillow job probably has 500+ applicants. Not saying you can't land those jobs but they are getting buried so thats just luck if a human even looks at it.

Your resume is kinda rough. Normally I'd say remove the Graduate school stuff but that would mean you'd have a 16 month internship(??) as the only thing in the last 5 years. And is that actually an internship? Is there maybe a better title for that?

Maybe it might be better to focus solely on the research you did at the university instead of framing it as an incomplete degree?

Do you have a github to show off any Python or R projects?

Were the two Regional Banks the same bank or different ones?

Do you feel like you would have more things to add to this? As it is it has a lot of white space and feels flimsy. You could re-arrange to add more to it, but if it would be filler then that wouldn't really help.

Skol! No worries on the zillow job if I don't get it, just using it as an example of something I feel I can do.

With the internship, that's probably the best way of phrasing it. I never worked more than 10 hours a week on it. I was working as a 'Remote Trivia Host' over Zoom while I was getting my undergraduate degree, and the CEO gave me the internship so I could put that on instead of "Trivia Host".

I don't have a github, but I can probably put that together fairly easily. Since neither of my college experiences were in 'tech' per se, they never had me utilize github.

The two banks were in fact, the same bank.

Magnetic North posted:

Same thing I always say: I'm not a hiring manager or an HR pro. Just a software dev who has helped friends (now probably more goons, actually) punch up resumes. If anyone contradicts me, listen to them.

This document's formatting is a little rough. Why is everything formatted so far to the left, rather than filling the page? It doesn't even reach over to the top of the green bar at the top that seems to establish a margin. It gives everything this claustrophobic, unreadable quality.

One thing I always repeat from the OP: "your resume is a showcase of your accomplishments, not a rehash of your experience." Now, the way I write resumes, I know that realistically you don't always have a full bevvy of accomplishments, but I like to start with accomplishments on top of enough unique interesting duties to fill out the page when necessary.

Did you do anything specifically interesting in your coursework? Any interesting projects to describe where you used R to access some dataset or something? Even if you don't have code or anything to show off, you could describe something you did instead of just saying "coursework". In the intern days, did you impress anyone with an ability to work out an issue? Did you ever save the company money?

For your skills, you have so few listed. If you understand SQL, do you understand relational databases? What about non-relational DBs? I don't know Python, but is there anything more to say? How confident are you in it?

I have no idea how to format this. I would normally suggest removing old history because I don't know how relevant it is, but if you didn't graduate that is a tougher sell. I don't know about putting coursework as "experience" because typically that means Work Experience, but I can see you're trying to make your resume read like a normal resume instead of a new student resume because of that. I wonder if just leaving the section untitled with dates might serve better, but there is still a big gap in there from 2018 to May 2020. What were you doing? You don't have to answer me, but if you put those older jobs on there you need to be prepared to field questions about it. Maybe a clean break is correct, and you can focus on coursework?

Are "business/financial analyst positions, data science roles" and "contact center workforce management" two separate things? Maybe you could have one "I'm a student" resume for the first one, and a historical "I've been around the block" for the second one.

What was the that competition you got first place in? Would an employer care? It's the most impressive sounding thing on your resume, but it was also a little while ago.

Finally, I don't know why you aren't finishing your degree and I am not going to judge. But someone out there might, so you will want to be prepared to explain that. It may or may not be a negative experience for you. So, just in case, I'm going to quote myself from a little while ago for my advice for when you have to cover bad topics in an interview:

I think we need to formulate a real plan of attack before getting into the nitty gritty of fixing grammar and all that other stuff. Hopefully whatever answers you can find to these questions will give us some direction.

The formatting of the document has evolved as I've adopted the advice from this thread. I should probably just put my resume into a .txt file first, before attempting to format it. I probably need to rework my experiences entirely, so that they focus on the achievements, before moving on to the formatting.

Regarding grad school, I worked on largely a single project regarding a startup industry in the state I live in. We looked at costs, pricing of the product, potential areas of distribution, and various methods of production. The coursework supporting this was all around a voluminous database of fast food retail data for the previous ten years. Very generically, I wrote about 12 reports on behalf of each of the fast food chains, analyzing a different part of the marketing chain from production to consumption.

As an intern, beyond pushing Jira cards around, the most interesting thing I did was to migrate internal documents, or to create wholesale new documents, into a Jira Knowledge base. This freed up the sales/customer support team to focus on sales/customer support, instead of handling dozens of "How do I do X?" emails/chats they received daily.

I'm not sure how to present my data science experience. For the most part, I primarily used SAS. I'm comfortable running SQL and R for the purposes of finishing an assignment, but I wasn't specifically trained on those query languages. I do think my focus in the next few days will be to: A) Establish a GitHub and B) fill it with some R and SQL projects that I do over the next few days. I will also upload any of my SAS work to this github. With respect to python, I feel that I'm definitely an intermediate level coder, I've mastered object oriented/class programming, and using TKInter/Pygame to create applications with a GUI. I can manipulate and present data in Python, but I don't have any projects where I'm really pushing a DB to its paces.

From 2018 to 2021, I was getting my undergraduate Economics degree. I only worked part time as a tutor, I saved up enough money that I didn't really need to work/take out loans to go to school during this period of time. My actual job during this time was as a Zoom based trivia host, which paid me incredibly well and didn't really require many hours.

I think your approach about 2 resumes is probably something to consider.

I was a part of a 4-person team for the Data Analytics competition, which had roughly 70 teams from various colleges across the Midwest. Specifically, we were given a large data set regarding the outcomes of various civil rights lawsuits from the 80's onward, and we were just told "Make any inferences that you can and see if you can create a predictive model". I was the project lead, handled the establishing research and the presentation, but I did not do a ton of the data analysis. Our predictive model was only in the top 10 of accuracy, but our presentation of the data was outstanding, and I discovered a few neat things in our research that really helped explain why the results were the way they were, and no other team presented that information.

I'm going to spend the evening working on highlighting accomplishments in these roles, and then work on formatting out two separate resumes as Magnetic North suggested. I appreciate the feedback from you two :D

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
what should i put on my linkedin page to make it really, genuinely stand out? i've got a number of certificates, my languages, all my work and education, a detailed about me, my resume in the featured, several linkedin demonstrated skills...i just really want to win at linkedin

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Grevlek posted:

I appreciate the feedback from you two :D

Happy to help.

I think the two resumes is the right move. Just be sure to track or be able to determine which listing gets which resume somehow.

Still, based on what you said, if you want to engage in a little resume black magic, you might be better served well by having a Functional resume instead of a Chronological resume. This is a concept I was introduced to by a state resume seminar I was a part of, and I've actually never seen a Functional resume in the wild. Your situation might be one that would work for it if you end up wanting to highlight both your schooling and your past career at once.

To quote Wikipedia: "The functional résumé is used to focus on skills that are specific to the type of position being sought." Instead of saying "I worked here, I worked here, I worked here" you can say, "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this." Essentially, you can de-emphasize industry switches and hide employment gaps or time spent in education by talking about your skills instead of employment. However, these can fail to emphasize career growth in the way that a Chronological one inherently tends to showcase.

The other downside is that they are considerably, vanishingly less popular. Also, I have no idea how to write one.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
A functional resume better have a crystal clear reason for it and a cover letter supporting it. I assume the person with one is either hiding something or clueless. Use them in very narrow circumstances where they tell a story more clearly and helpfully than chronologically (rarely true).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think a functional resume is better suited to a machinist or something, where "Knows this machine, this software, this kind of design" is more important than which 9-month contracts were when.

I think Grevlek needs to approach it his resume from a "What story am I telling". I like the idea of just writing down some text (maybe TRY to write too much and then cut down) and worry about formatting later.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do HR screeners send an "overqualified" category of response? Many of the rejections I receive include a line near the beginning like "although your accomplishments are very impressive." I don't remember this language in rejections at any point earlier in my career.
After working as a director for 9 months, then being laid off, I'd really just like to get a normal software engineering job again, but it feels impossible. Maybe I do need to apply for manager/director roles if I don't want to be unemployed forever.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I think that line is there so you don’t get pissed at them. It’s just boiler plate rejection email language.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

spiritual bypass posted:

Do HR screeners send an "overqualified" category of response? Many of the rejections I receive include a line near the beginning like "although your accomplishments are very impressive." I don't remember this language in rejections at any point earlier in my career.
After working as a director for 9 months, then being laid off, I'd really just like to get a normal software engineering job again, but it feels impossible. Maybe I do need to apply for manager/director roles if I don't want to be unemployed forever.

That's a tough job search. I'd recommend relying on your network rather than looking at job postings.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spiritual bypass posted:

You're usually not supposed to say any reason and use a form letter. With newer people I usually like to give a little advice but if HR knew I did that they'd probably yell at me as its safer just to say the same thing.

I'd suggest looking at smaller companies that want player/coaches in their management.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Alright goons, I am throwing myself upon the mercy of SomethingAwful's career and resume experts. Strap yourselves in because this is gonna get long, but I'll try to keep it as organized as I can. So...

I was laid off at the end of February and am still unemployed. Granted, I took a month off to figure out what I wanted to do and then another two months to pursue professional development (SPHR and PMP certifications), but I have been full throttle job hunting for these last three months and have 3 callbacks to show for it, and it's starting to drive me a little nuts. I've rocked every job I've ever held, often outperforming people who'd been doing the same work for much longer, and have plenty of [what I think are] awesome accomplishments to show off, and yet - bupkis, which leads me to concludethat I am not showing on paper what ATS or recruiters want to see.

My background in a nutshell:
BA in 2005.
2005-2007 - Legal stuff (crushed the LSAT, thought I wanted to be a lawyer, tried it first, nope)
2008-2011 - HR and operations at global education company
2012-2015 - Stay at home dad.
2015-2020 - people and business ops in progressing responsibility at an early stage space startup
2021-2023 - internal consulting on operations to c-suite and spacecraft program management (not what I signed up for, but when you're given that opportunity...) at a sexy growth stage space startup that went public

My professional interests in a nutshell:
1. People Operations - I've got all told a decade+ of HR experience and success, but never had a real passion for it until I witnessed my last company gently caress it up so badly that I had to take steps to fix it and found myself thinking, "drat, this is fun and incredibly fulfilling."
2. Business Operations - More like 12+ years for this one. Before the people ops bug bit me, I had targeted an eventual COO or Chief of Staff type position (which is the role I was hired to play at this last place, but company politics constrained it to 'Operations Manager'), and that is still a secondary objective.
3. Program Management - Not something I'd ever considered until my last experience, but it was a lot of fun, and living in the south SF Bay, there are almost as many PM roles as engineering ones, so it's tempting...

What I think my problem(s) is(are):
- My past experience is not specialized on paper. E.g., I was the HR (and several others) department for a startup that grew from 15 to 50+ under my watch. I'm confident in the HR knowledge gained and the skills deployed, but my titles of 'Operations Manager' don't tell that story at a glance. This is especially a problem when my most recent role is "Program Manager, Spacecraft" but I'm applying for strategic level HR roles. All of the combined and overlapping job duties also make it difficult to extract function-specific accomplishments for my resume.
- I am not laser focused in my approach. There isn't one line of work in which I am interested, there are three. This dilutes my applications, complicates resume and cover letter tailoring, and makes coordinating resumes and LinkedIn profile more challenging than it should be.
- I have a ~4 year parenting gap that very neatly fits into what currently comprises the 8-12 year block of my employment experience. I'm very comfortable not just speaking to the gap but turning it around to make it a positive professional impact (see resume below). However, again, on paper - not great.

On the bright side, I feel that over the last month I've started to figure things out when it comes to my cover letter and resume (last couple of weeks especially). For example, creatively combining the two roles I had with my most recent employer so that 'Program Manager, Spacecraft' isn't the first thing recruiters see when I apply for HR roles. Don't worry - I'm not saying anything that: isn't true, I can't explain, my references won't confirm.

Here are two of my heavily redacted resumes (different flavors so you can see how I'm making life hard for myself) and cover letter template (this one tailored for a people role). I've tried many different approaches for both resumes and CLs, and these are the ones I've settled on most recently (in terms of format and how I am using the language). However, I'm open-minded. E.g., I've been considering whether the achievenent-centered format, where the first page is just summary and then all the big relevant accomplishments across my career, and the second page is a listing of work history, might be best for someone in my scenario. Another thing I am wondering is if I should drop the mention of my stay-at-home parenting. I think it's good to address it head on, and I think I address it well...but am I hurting myself by even mentioning it in the first place?

People:

Operations:

CL:

Apologies again for all the words, and please advise as you see fit. Thanks!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
your cover letter makes me want to vomit. it reads like all of the lovely inbound sales emails i get. so if that's an affect please stop

if it's not uh

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Habibi posted:

I was laid off at the end of February and am still unemployed. Granted, I took a month off to figure out what I wanted to do and then another two months to pursue professional development (SPHR and PMP certifications), but I have been full throttle job hunting for these last three months and have 3 callbacks to show for it, and it's starting to drive me a little nuts.

I don't know much about HR jobs but I will say this has been a very, very common experience for everyone I know who has been looking for work in the last year. It's not just you, I promise.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

your cover letter makes me want to vomit. it reads like all of the lovely inbound sales emails i get. so if that's an affect please stop

if it's not uh

I never got lovely inbound sales emails that looked like this, so unfortunately it's not a connection I made.

The clipped language was definitely a deliberate stylistic choice - I've tried throwing a lot of poo poo at this particular wall, believe me - and I've gotten positive comments from recruiters about it even in rejections. But I don't want to look or sound like spam. What in particular is setting off your gag reflex?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Other people are more qualified to answer but I'd omit the gap due to parenting, and I certainly wouldn't make a cutesy thing out of it. It's a professional document. At most a single line between Company 3 and Company 4 saying you were a stay at home parent during that gap, but even then I don't think it's necessary.

It was 8 years ago and if/when it comes up during the interview it's easily explained.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

Other people are more qualified to answer but I'd omit the gap due to parenting, and I certainly wouldn't make a cutesy thing out of it. It's a professional document. At most a single line between Company 3 and Company 4 saying you were a stay at home parent during that gap, but even then I don't think it's necessary.

It was 8 years ago and if/when it comes up during the interview it's easily explained.

Thanks for this. I think I've been overly nervous about how an unaddressed gap looks and been trying to compensate.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Have you been looking for remote work or local on site work?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

wash bucket posted:

Have you been looking for remote work or local on site work?

My applications probably break down pretty evenly between remote, hybrid, and on-site roles. I've been leaning toward on-site and local hybrid roles lately because they're not deluged with hundreds of applications, so it at least feels like I have a fighting chance of being spotted.

And I realized I hadn't mentioned networking, but I've explored those avenues thoroughly. It's simply that nothing has come up in my ballpark yet.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Habibi posted:

Alright goons, I am throwing myself upon the mercy of SomethingAwful's career and resume experts. Strap yourselves in because this is gonna get long, but I'll try to keep it as organized as I can. So...

Same caveat I always mention: I'm not a HR professional or a hiring manager, just a software dev who likes to help people with these things. All of the usual suspects around here know more than I do, so if they contradict me, listen to them.

Others have told yo that you shouldn't mention that you're a parent on your resume so I won't repeat this except to say: If I were an hiring manager, the only reason I would not throw this resume into the garbage is because that cutesy crap is on the second page and I would not have read that far.

Your certifications: When did you get them? Do they have dates of expiration? Actually, I just looked it up: SPHR and PMP expire in 3 years according to a quick web search. The important thing is: do they matter for your desired gig? If not, get rid of them.

(edit: countermanded below) Same question for your Bachelor's degree. If you got it in '06-'07, it doesn't need to be on your resume. Your experience is what is going to matter a whole lot more. Save the space and maybe we can make this 1 page.

To that end, I would just leave off Company 4. It was over 10 years ago, so it's not super irrelevant, and it also means you don't have to explain that long gap. You have a Director level position already so you aren't losing much at all.

Your bullet points are okay, though I don't stylistically like having them be multiple sentences. I find they typically read better if it's a compound sentence, but these ones are okay and it would be a fair bit or work to overhaul them all. They are better than most I see here, so you can probably keep them.

I don't understand profiles on resumes generally, but I also do not understand what yours is doing. The ones I've seen have talked about your career path more generally ("A frontend developer specializing in Boostrap" or whatever), but this one is talking about your accomplishments. That's all well and good but shouldn't those be contained in the job headings? I don't know, maybe those are more common in HR than in software.

I would start by making a new version where you just have Company 1, 2 and 3 and try to get it to one page.

e: vvvvv Fair enough

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 12, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Same question for your Bachelor's degree. If you got it in '06-'07, it doesn't need to be on your resume. Your experience is what is going to matter a whole lot more. Save the space and maybe we can make this 1 page.

This is bad advice. It is sometimes true in the development world but outside of tech education matters your whole life. Don't get rid of it. Also not having a degree can disqualify you for certain jobs in government or when a company has stringent rules due to how to give out VISAs, so I wouldn't remove education even in Tech. In almost every other industry not listing education means you didn't complete a degree.

I wouldn't omit Company 4 either, but you can probably cut down on details there. I'd personally try to expand 1 and 2 since they seem most impactful and keep 3 and 4 limited. Or just combine 2 and 3 since it was part of an acquisition.

Those certs would matter and I'd definitely keep them, the PMP in particular can ring positive bells for a certain kind of hiring person.

I'm not sure if getting this to 1 page is that big of a goal. Longer resumes are far more common in Operations and HR roles, and this doesn't feel like it has too much filler. The "Chief Stay At Home Parent" thing could go either way but in particular HR-types eat that up.

Honestly I think timing is your biggest enemy here. You tried finding a job during a slow time in a job market that is generally not looking for your type of role. I do think you have "jack of too many trades" problem, so for jobs that look particularly promising/attainable I'd put time into tailoring your resume for that role, and writing a personalized cover. Tone aside, your cover letter screams "I am sending this to every job on LinkedIn".

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 12, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Habibi posted:

I never got lovely inbound sales emails that looked like this, so unfortunately it's not a connection I made.

The clipped language was definitely a deliberate stylistic choice - I've tried throwing a lot of poo poo at this particular wall, believe me - and I've gotten positive comments from recruiters about it even in rejections. But I don't want to look or sound like spam. What in particular is setting off your gag reflex?

Lockback is right as usual, you have a bit of a scattershot resume so you need to write an individualized cover letter for jobs.

Other specific CL criticism, which is definitely mean so I apologize in advance, but you asked.
  • The overall tone is just wildly unserious. You're applying to senior positions with 20 years of experience. Write like a serious adult professional.
  • Opening line is awful. Wretched stuff. Cheesy and lame and ineffective.
  • "You get a lot of these, so I'll be short and sweet" - horrid, straight from linkedin recruiter blasts or inbound sales.
  • List of bullet points. These are on the resume. Write something and prove you can write.
  • "People operations done right" meaningless bullshit. what does that actually mean to you? the things that follow are like a ChatGPT prompt applying to a HR job.
  • Trying to appear cool, even if by appearing uncool. I don't give a gently caress if you're cool, I care about you doing your job competently. (You're in HR anyway so odds are if you think you are cool you are just deluded.
  • Saying "zealous" has tech vibes and really bad ones. This is a nit you can probably ignore.

Recruiters are universally parasites with room temperature IQs so if they're complimenting something you are doing it's probably a good idea to reconsider doing that thing.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Your certifications: When did you get them? Do they have dates of expiration? Actually, I just looked it up: SPHR and PMP expire in 3 years according to a quick web search. The important thing is: do they matter for your desired gig? If not, get rid of them.

Same question for your Bachelor's degree. If you got it in '06-'07, it doesn't need to be on your resume. Your experience is what is going to matter a whole lot more. Save the space and maybe we can make this 1 page.

To that end, I would just leave off Company 4. It was over 10 years ago, so it's not super irrelevant, and it also means you don't have to explain that long gap. You have a Director level position already so you aren't losing much at all.

Your bullet points are okay, though I don't stylistically like having them be multiple sentences. I find they typically read better if it's a compound sentence, but these ones are okay and it would be a fair bit or work to overhaul them all. They are better than most I see here, so you can probably keep them.

I don't understand profiles on resumes generally, but I also do not understand what yours is doing.

These are template resumes, so elements (like certifications) will be adjust depending on relevance. The degree is from 2005 but leaving it off is not an option (unless, as with the preceding, the position doesn't care). Appreciate the advice, but it's industry specific - if I were a software dev, you'd be correct.

My profile...I've received so much contradictory advice and it's evolved multiple times. The bit that recently resonated most was that, like the meat of the resume, it should not talk about what you can do, but show it with highlights. :shrug:

On the bullets: I've tried multiple linguistic styles, including SAR, "accomplished this by doing that," etc... I kinda like this one, but I'm not handcuffed to it.

I am intrigued by your advice to just drop everything older than 10 years. First time that has come up... I'm wondering if that is also industry-specific, as most advice I've heard / seen on this topic suggests 2 pages being perfectly acceptable and even necessary if you have over ten years of experience, but as with everything else, I am open to changing stuff up. Problem is, some of the positions I'm applying for ask for 8-10+ years of experience, and chopping off Company4 leaves me with at best 7. :/

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

trying to compensate.

Stop trying to compensate, and stop apologizing and centering things you're worried about. They are hiring for X so say "You are looking for x, I am interested to do x and am well qualified for X with y and z experience/education." Let them ask about gaps etc if they need to. Even your posting here opens with a slew of apologies.
"...throwing myself upon the mercy... this is gonna get long ... but I'll try"
Cut that out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

I wouldn't omit Company 4 either, but you can probably cut down on details there. I'd personally try to expand 1 and 2 since they seem most impactful and keep 3 and 4 limited. Or just combine 2 and 3 since it was part of an acquisition.

I had already been thinking about consolidating Company 4 into a single entry, as well as combining 2 and 3. Limiting 3 hurts my heart as my efforts there pretty much directly led to Company 2 deciding to acquire us.

quote:

The "Chief Stay At Home Parent" thing could go either way but in particular HR-types eat that up.

Honestly I think timing is your biggest enemy here. You tried finding a job during a slow time in a job market that is generally not looking for your type of role. I do think you have "jack of too many trades" problem, so for jobs that look particularly promising/attainable I'd put time into tailoring your resume for that role, and writing a personalized cover. Tone aside, your cover letter screams "I am sending this to every job on LinkedIn".
Sounds like I might leave the cutesy parenting gap stuff on the HR roles but leave them off the business / PM stuff, and see if the level of response varies.

Totally agree on jack-of-too-many trades problem. I had previously been personalizing and tailoring my cover letters far more (and adopting a different tone). It just gets loving exhausting. But you're right that, especially for particularly promising jobs, it would behoove me to spend time to create a connection with the role.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lockback is right as usual, you have a bit of a scattershot resume so you need to write an individualized cover letter for jobs.

Other specific CL criticism, which is definitely mean so I apologize in advance, but you asked.
  • The overall tone is just wildly unserious. You're applying to senior positions with 20 years of experience. Write like a serious adult professional.
  • Opening line is awful. Wretched stuff. Cheesy and lame and ineffective.
  • "You get a lot of these, so I'll be short and sweet" - horrid, straight from linkedin recruiter blasts or inbound sales.
  • List of bullet points. These are on the resume. Write something and prove you can write.
  • "People operations done right" meaningless bullshit. what does that actually mean to you? the things that follow are like a ChatGPT prompt applying to a HR job.
  • Trying to appear cool, even if by appearing uncool. I don't give a gently caress if you're cool, I care about you doing your job competently. (You're in HR anyway so odds are if you think you are cool you are just deluded.
  • Saying "zealous" has tech vibes and really bad ones. This is a nit you can probably ignore.

Recruiters are universally parasites with room temperature IQs so if they're complimenting something you are doing it's probably a good idea to reconsider doing that thing.
I genuinely appreciate your meanness. When it comes to the tone, I guess it was an attempt to stand out. Everyone writes the same 'serious adult professional' cover letter - I've gotten plenty myself - and mostly they're garbage and after a while your eyes glaze over.

As with everything else, the cover letter advice I've gotten - from recruiters, hiring managers, HR people, resume writers, etc - has been all over the place and contradictory. Bullets vs paragraphs. Formal vs informal. Showcase personality vs be stoically professional. How long. How short. What to highlight blah blah blah. Everyone agrees that no one reads cover letters but that the worst thing you can do is send a bad one, and everyone has different definitions of what "bad" is.

You're almost certainly right that the tone should be more professional. My expectations of others' expectations may have been twisted by my experiences working at cool startups alongside other very cool people. Like me.

Seriously, though - I am grateful to all of you for all of your time and assistance. It's been 8 years since I last had to look for a job, and 7 years before that one, so this time out has been quite the learning experience.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Habibi posted:

I am intrigued by your advice to just drop everything older than 10 years. First time that has come up... I'm wondering if that is also industry-specific, as most advice I've heard / seen on this topic suggests 2 pages being perfectly acceptable and even necessary if you have over ten years of experience, but as with everything else, I am open to changing stuff up. Problem is, some of the positions I'm applying for ask for 8-10+ years of experience, and chopping off Company4 leaves me with at best 7. :/

That 10 year thing is actually generic advice that came from a seminar run by my home state of MA. I feel fairly confident in that source, mostly because much of what it said matched what I've learned in this thread (who I trust with guiding my own personal career search) and other quality advice I've heard online.

Of course, there are two counterpoints to that. Generic advice may be less applicable for someone in your position, and this seminar was meant to work for most people. Also, if you're on 2 pages anyway, then it would almost certainly be fine to leave it.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
applying for internships makes me want to vomit till it sprays outta my nose. what the gently caress are these people looking for?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Connections.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Had a rather bizarre interview where the CEO kept feeding me one question after another rapid fire style until we were at time. Near the end, he asked me to provide feedback on this interview process and give something that's going well and something that isn't. I just mentioned I wish the interview time had been longer, but any idea how to tackle that one differently? The guy seemed completely unhinged so I'm not sure if the question itself will come up again but I was just curious.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I were you, I might have said "I wish we'd had time for more conversation and to ask my own questions. I'd like more of a feel for the role or the company's leadership style."

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

spiritual bypass posted:

If I were you, I might have said "I wish we'd had time for more conversation and to ask my own questions. I'd like more of a feel for the role or the company's leadership style."

The company's leadership style is clearly whatever bullshit the CEO read about on LinkedIn last week.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Less than 10 people in the company, husband is CEO, wife is CFO. No other C-Suite executives that I could see.

Also, I found a typo on the company website.

On a side note, someone from round 2 of my interviews with a different company actually replied to my thank you email. Do I need to reply to that? I just don't want to waste their time by engaging in conversation when they're trying to be polite.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Less than 10 people in the company, husband is CEO, wife is CFO. No other C-Suite executives that I could see.

Also, I found a typo on the company website.

On a side note, someone from round 2 of my interviews with a different company actually replied to my thank you email. Do I need to reply to that? I just don't want to waste their time by engaging in conversation when they're trying to be polite.

Did they engage with you or just say "You're welcome"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
It was just a standard run of the mill it was nice to talk with you and blah blah blah. I'm just baffled because even with successful job interviews I've never had someone actually reply. I just want to make sure I do the right things I've just wrapped up stage 3 of the interview process with this person's superior.