Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Disappointing Pie posted:

Do any of you guys rock screen protectors any more? My job can get decently physical and while I haven't used a screen protector in quite some time, I've noticed my last two phones (most recent 12 Pro Max) has hundreds of microscratches all over the screen.
I don't think I ever have on an iPhone I've owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

what's up with these colors

i can't upgrade til there's a red iphone

Yeah I was really hoping for navy blue and forest green

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

what's up with these colors

i can't upgrade til there's a red iphone

In my experience red is one of the least popular colors for whatever reason.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was really hoping for a nice deep blue I could slap a clear case onto. Now I might just go black and get a fun color case instead. I wonder if they’re going the car color route for all their phones and just choosing the safest, least offensive colors.

Product Red always looked tacky to me, though.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Tim Apple my 13 mini pry dead hands etc…

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking of upgrading from the 13 Pro to the 15 Pro but the removal of the physical toggle for silent mode is a big enough deal that I'm now on the fence about upgrading.

Like, great, a button that could potentially be pressed while in my pocket so now I have to visually check that the phone is in silent mode any time I need it to be?

I might wait because the only upgrade I really care about is the upgraded camera.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’ve decided that mini is bad even though the real problem is the mini option had the worse camera and worse battery life which no one wants

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hatty posted:

I dont hate lightning as much as I hated the 30 Pin connector or Micro USB so I'm not in a rush to get away from it. Man I hate micro USB

I scoured the earth for a friend who reads so I could gift them my old Kindle when they moved to USB C.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Mini was always Mac for “missing features to hit a lower price” while the mini iPhone was “everything is the same but small” so the naming scheme never made sense. Still think it was a marketing/naming issue that killed the mini, not that people didn’t want it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Apple care doesn’t expire if you do the month to month option :shrug:

I didn't have that.

OTOH I just found that with trade in if I change my T-Mob plan I'd get $1000 towards a 15 pro, which would basically just add less than $5 to my plan. I might get a new phone after all.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was thinking of upgrading from the 13 Pro to the 15 Pro but the removal of the physical toggle for silent mode is a big enough deal that I'm now on the fence about upgrading.

Like, great, a button that could potentially be pressed while in my pocket so now I have to visually check that the phone is in silent mode any time I need it to be?

I might wait because the only upgrade I really care about is the upgraded camera.

Does your silent switch regularly get switched when it’s in your pocket? Are you caseless?

I feel like the only time my silent switch gets inadvertently switched is when I swap cases.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Corb3t posted:

Does your silent switch regularly get switched when it’s in your pocket? Are you caseless?

I feel like the only time my silent switch gets inadvertently switched is when I swap cases.

No I’m talking about the new action button replacing the toggle switch. That’s what great about the toggle switch, it’s very hard for it to be switched accidentally especially with a case. You can also just touch it and know the status of silent mode.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have an IPhone 13 Pro. Does the new IOS have anything that will really make a difference on my phone or are the big changes for the 14 and on?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No I’m talking about the new action button replacing the toggle switch. That’s what great about the toggle switch, it’s very hard for it to be switched accidentally especially with a case. You can also just touch it and know the status of silent mode.

It won’t take long for reviewers and owners to figure out if the new Action button is prone to being triggered in a pocket - I’m sure Apple wouldn’t release a new feature with a glaring problem like that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Corb3t posted:

It won’t take long for reviewers and owners to figure out if the new Action button is prone to being triggered in a pocket - I’m sure Apple wouldn’t release a new feature with a glaring problem like that.

I assume that it uses the front sensors the way raise to wake and tap to activate do to prevent it from toggling in your pocket, but even those are not perfect. I disable raise to wake because the phone screen does activate a fair amount in your pocket.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have an IPhone 13 Pro. Does the new IOS have anything that will really make a difference on my phone or are the big changes for the 14 and on?

The only thing that you don’t have is the AoD working with StandBy. Aside from that there isn’t anything you’ll miss out on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I’m assuming that with the regular iPhone getting the dynamic island thing that going forward more iOS apps are gonna take advantage of it. Whatever the gently caress it does.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Corb3t posted:

ios 16's crash detection started overloading 911 call centers with false positives as soon as it came out

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I hope the short press of the action button defaults to calling 911

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
just went to look at the RC for ios17 and noticed I have an update available to 16.6.1. checked what version I’m actually on and uh, 16.1?

auto update is checked, phone sits on a wireless charger every night and is connected to wifi literally all night as well. what gives?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Surprise T Rex posted:

just went to look at the RC for ios17 and noticed I have an update available to 16.6.1. checked what version I’m actually on and uh, 16.1?

auto update is checked, phone sits on a wireless charger every night and is connected to wifi literally all night as well. what gives?

The ALGORITHM has deemed you unworthy.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Weedle posted:

ios 16's crash detection started overloading 911 call centers with false positives as soon as it came out

And yet nobody turned it off and everything was figured out and now they’re expanding emergency sos and satellite services and it’s one of their best features.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

iOS 17 RC is out if you're on the public beta.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Anyone else find the focus on gaming a little weird? Are they actually pushing that or is it just the only thing they could think of to market the faster chip?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

iOS 17 RC is out if you're on the public beta.

And if you're not, all you have to do is select it under the software update menu. No more weird profile downloads needed.

Virtue posted:

Anyone else find the focus on gaming a little weird? Are they actually pushing that or is it just the only thing they could think of to market the faster chip?

It was like something out of the iPhone 4 days.

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Corb3t posted:

And yet nobody turned it off and everything was figured out and now they’re expanding emergency sos and satellite services and it’s one of their best features.

A local 911 call center sent out a facebook post pleading iPhone users to turn it off. It blows my mind (and I'm a paramedic in a neighboring county).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SaturdayKnight posted:

Mini was always Mac for “missing features to hit a lower price” while the mini iPhone was “everything is the same but small” so the naming scheme never made sense. Still think it was a marketing/naming issue that killed the mini, not that people didn’t want it.
I’m sure it didn’t help that the SE2 came out like 4 months before the first Mini, and people had been waiting a while for a new SE at the time. I feel like the SE / Mini buying demographics overlap a lot (no I have no data this is all opinion directly from my rear end).

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So random question. I am on the upgrade program for the first time, and did all my pre-paperwork already to get ready for Friday. The issue is I go out of the country on Thursday the 21st. What are the chances the turn around will be that fast? Or should I wait to upgrade when I get back in the states on the 30th?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Because iPhone 15 questions keep being asked

:) Is OLED
:) Same resolution as Pro models
:) Uses USB-C
:) Has Dynamic Island
:) 24 and 48 MP Cameras with 4x Optical Zoom
:) Ultra Wide Camera
:) $200 cheaper than Pro and Plus $300 cheaper than Pro Max
:confused: Has Satellite SOS but it’s only free for two years
:confused: Has Mute Switch instead of Action Button
:( Aluminum instead of Titanium
:( No Always-On Display
:( No ProMotion (120hz display)
:( A16 Chip (Last year’s Pro Chip so no Ray-Tracing)
:( USB-C Port has USB 2 Transfer Speeds (Pro is USB 3)
:( No Telephoto Camera no 10x Optical Zoom on Pro models

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Virtue posted:

The ability for games to be released natively on phones as well as consoles is a pretty big deal.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Virtue posted:

I wonder if their market research is showing that mobile gamers who were previously mostly children are now getting old enough to make their own purchasing decisions.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can see f2p games like Genshin Impact and League finding success on phones, but nobody is going to shell out even a discounted price for something like Assassin’s Creed with touch screen controls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thread is being added to the Pro only lmao

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/09/12/iphone-15-pro-thread-support/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If they had a decent way so these chips didn’t thermal throttle so quick that would go a long way.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

TACD posted:

I’m sure it didn’t help that the SE2 came out like 4 months before the first Mini, and people had been waiting a while for a new SE at the time. I feel like the SE / Mini buying demographics overlap a lot (no I have no data this is all opinion directly from my rear end).

(Also speaking out of my rear end with no data) I’m pretty sure the market for the SE is “I want an iPhone but as cheap as possible/free from a carrier when signing up” while the Mini is “premium/premium adjacent features, but small”. The market has spoken over and over with the latter and a certain segment of the population won’t let it go. The general populace wants bigger phones, not smaller, otherwise the Mini would have sold better.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wait is the better optical only on the fat daddy? That sucks!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Because iPhone 15 questions keep being asked

:) Is OLED
:) Same resolution as Pro models
:) Uses USB-C
:) Has Dynamic Island
:) 24 and 48 MP Cameras with 4x Optical Zoom
:) Ultra Wide Camera
:) $200 cheaper than Pro and Plus $300 cheaper than Pro Max
:confused: Has Satellite SOS but it’s only free for two years
:confused: Has Mute Switch instead of Action Button
:( Aluminum instead of Titanium
:( No Always-On Display
:( No ProMotion (120hz display)
:( A16 Chip (Last year’s Pro Chip so no Ray-Tracing)
:( USB-C Port has USB 2 Transfer Speeds (Pro is USB 3)
:( No Telephoto Camera no 10x Optical Zoom on Pro models

Just use the comparison tool on the official website. I like to put in my current iPhone on the left, the non-Pro in the middle, and Pro on the right. They line all the features up so you can just scan left to right to see what you’re getting or what’s missing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Virtue posted:

No one except gamers is impressed by big chip numbers

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Blurb3947 posted:

The ability for games to be released natively on phones as well as consoles is a pretty big deal.

If Apple builds a robust library of games with local cross platform saves between MacOS and iOS they can take my money but I'll believe it when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

I can see f2p games like Genshin Impact and League finding success on phones, but nobody is going to shell out even a discounted price for something like Assassin’s Creed with touch screen controls.

plus it sucks for publishers/devs because they have to be prepared to update the game for new screens, os versions, etc. whereas on normal consoles you can just release a finished game and be done with it, safe in the assurance that a ps5 system update won’t break something