Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Live action Cowboy Bebop was doomed unless it was a Stranger Things-esque hit since it went super over budget after Cho got injured during filming.

If these SO CALLED actors would just let us replace them with CGI, this sort of thing could be avoided!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One Piece felt cheap and amateurish with some very wooden performances and uses some nice looking CG to try and make up for cheap sets… so yes, all the hallmarks of a fan film. But then holy cow that kid who plays monkey has such an infectious and lively energy. There are a few other key casting choices that kill it, but that show survives almost entirely on the back of its lead.

I gave up on Bebop before the end of the first episode despite wanting to give it a fair shake but watched all of One Piece despite having no prior investment or interest and it’s all thanks to the guy they cast as Luffy. I hope the production understands how lucky they got casting him.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Shageletic posted:

I was just thinking about Ring of Power, something that I haven't seen based on incredibly bad word of mouth, and how that has cost hundreds of millions of dollars and they hired two no name persons to oversee it. And this mammoth enterprise, taking months and thousands of individual contributions to make....and how they just didn't bother in taking the time to write good scripts. Why is the least expensive yet most crucial component of any movie or TV show, the lowest consideration in any production?

Possibly because it's also the hardest? You have to put together a compelling story that balances appealing to a broad audience and catering to fans. Tolkien's settings are really cool, but you need to make a story that fits in there. And Tolkien's non-Hobbit or LOTR works always felt like the meticulous notes that a GM would make detailing his DONUT STEELE Homebrew World.

A lot of the execs hope that if it has pretty effects, sets, and actors, then people will watch it. And that's how you get Black Adam and MIB International.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly I generally don't like animated stuff, I know it's dumb to dismiss a whole type of art but it never really did much for me. I didn't even really like Disney animated movies as a kid. And my first roommate in college was huge into anime and we watched a bunch together and like I said I just disliked it a lot. Sorry

Nothing wrong with that. It's a completely fair viewpoint. If you're not into animated stuff at all, that's just what it is. Hell, I don't watch horror stuff. At all. I don't care how good you tell me it is. If it's horror or horror adjacent, I'm not watching it. Zero interest ever.

I think a lot of people get prickly when someone will say something like "I love <insert animated shows here such as Adventure Time, Futurama, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers> but I hate anime."

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

muscles like this! posted:

Live action Cowboy Bebop was doomed unless it was a Stranger Things-esque hit since it went super over budget after Cho got injured during filming.

I mean that's pretty much every Netflix produced show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I was excited for the Cowboy Bebop live action show because Cho was a straight up inspired choice for Spike. The other actors seemed like good picks as well. The result, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5rtqnawIM

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel like you can describe quite a lot of Netflix shows with "fantastic casting, passable to poor on everything else."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

I feel like you can describe quite a lot of Netflix shows with "fantastic casting, passable to poor on everything else."

Yeah...

At least Midnight Mass ruled

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Nothing wrong with that. It's a completely fair viewpoint. If you're not into animated stuff at all, that's just what it is. Hell, I don't watch horror stuff. At all. I don't care how good you tell me it is. If it's horror or horror adjacent, I'm not watching it. Zero interest ever.

I think a lot of people get prickly when someone will say something like "I love <insert animated shows here such as Adventure Time, Futurama, Rick & Morty, Bob's Burgers> but I hate anime."
I do get why it's weird tho...there's a gulf between "I don't like horror" and "I don't like anything animated"...like, that's not a genre lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I do get why it's weird tho...there's a gulf between "I don't like horror" and "I don't like anything animated"...like, that's not a genre lol

Could be argued to be a medium though. I love animation, but can get how someone with particular visual tastes might not. There are aesthetics in both live photography and animation that I find nearly impossible to enjoy regardless of the content, so certainly some people could be turned off by non-photographic looks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hate all animation, except for squigglevision

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

i hate all animation, except for squigglevision
:hmmyes:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

thrawn527 posted:

I won't fault you if you still feel this way, but I'm curious, have you watched season 2 of Wheel of Time? It's a dramatic improvement over season 1. So much so that I'm curious what the hell happened behind the scenes between seasons.

Like, I know season 1 ended with some bullshit involving Covid, and some conflict involving the actor playing Mat (I'm not assigning blame one way or the other, just that it caused problems), but those was far from the only problems with season 1. Season 2, 4 episodes in, is just so much better in every way.

I doubt Rings of Power will be able to pull off the same thing, but like I said, I don't know how WoT pulled it off in the first place.

Season 2 is out? :psyduck:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

scary ghost dog posted:

honestly dont know how people can say they “hate” anime. its not a genre, its a medium. it just makes me assume you dont know what anime is

It's because almost all anime is incredibly, painfully and embarrasingly bad. And sometimes so disgusting and shameful that it makes the country of Japan seem completely grotesque

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

Season 2 is out? :psyduck:

WoT? It's currently in progress. It seems about the same to me... but I've just been watching it in the background while doing other stuff. So mine isn't a very qualified opinion.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Collapsing Farts posted:

It's because almost all anime is incredibly, painfully and embarrasingly bad. And sometimes so disgusting and shameful that it makes the country of Japan seem completely grotesque

anime lover spotted

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Bogus Adventure posted:

I was excited for the Cowboy Bebop live action show because Cho was a straight up inspired choice for Spike. The other actors seemed like good picks as well. The result, however...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5rtqnawIM

Preemptively grimaced when Jet said "blackmail", both absolutely sure of what was coming next yet convinced nobody would have allowed it to happen, surely?

The first episode of the Netflix series also immediately shot itself in the foot by having their opening scene be a much much worse version of the opening to the animated Bebop film which just made me wonder why I wasn't watching that instead. So I did.

Calexio fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 13, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Calexio posted:

Preemptively grimaced when Jet said "blackmail", both absolutely sure of what was coming next yet convinced nobody would have allowed it to happen, surely?

The first episode of the Netflix series also immediately shot itself in the foot by having their opening scene be a much much worse version of the opening to the animated Bebop film which just made me wonder why I wasn't watching that instead. So I did.
There are some small good parts of the Netflix Cowboy Bebop series where you could imagine, in better hands, it may have been an adaptation on the level of One Piece.
Like everyone has mentioned, the writing was just godawful. The season also focused way too much on Vicious and Julia who were both very uninteresting and over the top.
There were a couple good action scenes that made use of the original soundtrack which I enjoyed. Yoko Kanno made some new music as well, but Julia's "amazing" song that captivated everyone was one of the worst things I've ever heard. Why not just use Adieu?

Definitely a shame. The initial trailer gave me a lot of hope and still looks really good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

the other guy was kind of weird but this is just racist lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's a lot of bad anime that leans heavily into deeply embarrassing tropes with humor aimed squarely at teenagers chock full of annoying characters. However, there's also so much variety out there that there's at least a handful of shows and movies that would be a good fit for anyone. The bad stuff is so cringeworthy that I really can't blame anyone for not taking the time to find their fit, though. Unless you have a very adept person curating it for you, you're unlikely to find the right thing and get turned off.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Collapsing Farts posted:

lmao what the heck

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think the bulk of media, especially televised media, from any country is going to be deeply embarrassing. Weird to single out Japan for it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bugblatter posted:

I think the bulk of media, especially televised media, from any country is going to be deeply embarrassing. Weird to single out Japan for it.

Uh excuse me please point out one embarrassing thing that has ever been televised in America. Im waiting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
japanese history: i sleep
their cartoons: completely grotesque

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah and honestly I understand the getting prickly and legit I would never judge anyone for what they like.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

shoeberto posted:

Uh excuse me please point out one embarrassing thing that has ever been televised in America. Im waiting.

It's a well-known fact that American television is exceptional. The best in the world.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
new trailer - more plot focused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1oqFhyjebw

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a reason that movie release date hasn’t been delayed but Dune 2 has? Are they just waiting in hopes that the strike will end imminently?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Has to be released before the year is out to be in contention for awards season, maybe?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing I assumed was that a Scorcese drama will have a lower bar to clear for performance than a huge sci-fi tentpole release that needs the top of the line marketing push with actors being omnipresent globally but apparently Killers of the Flower Moon had a $200 million budget?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
https://youtu.be/R7Eri0T8RK0?si=LfVSUwEzwhWt_fyp

Perfect

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Art

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

wrong franchise

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

That's a good trailer that's treating Saw like the institution it is.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The first anime show I watched all the way through was High School of the Dead, which was very dumb and extremely horny, but I had a girlfriend who was obsessed with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHD2VFyH4KQ

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 13, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

saw x is going to win a oscar

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pge4NmBzdkE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Where’s Zim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A bit insensitive isn't it? I know they make movies better but I thought we shouldn't use that word for them.