Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I've been following along, but I could use an ELI5.

Moderna and Pfizer have monovalents that may be available as early as this week.

Novavax has a shot that contains Awesome Stuff, but may not be ready until November.

... Why can't I just get both, some number of weeks apart?

because all of congress invested in pfizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was chatting with my brother and happened to mention that the flesh-eating buruli ulcers were endemic here in Victoria but still extremely rare and he went "Oh yeah a friend of mine got that in his butt cheek. The doctor said it was so deep he could have stuck his entire thumb in there."

Mycobacterium ulcerans ripped him a new rear end in a top hat, lmao

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I would never do crimes, because I am a fine, upstanding citizen.

But I am remarkably empty headed at times.

If I got a monovalent jab as soon as they were released, but then I forgot that I'd had one, and went to a different pharmacy to get Novavax, and had trouble filling out the forms with my identifying information, and paid out of pocket...

Could I stupid myself into getting both?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
womder if my local salvation army is still reselling donated test kits

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Everything is wildly, out of bounds, stupid.

Just assume the worst and you will never be disappointed.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hungry Squirrel posted:

as Johan Liebert would put it, yes.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

(..)

We don't currently know exactly how the transition to the private market is going to work (and particularly how it will work if you have no insurance). It is a major change.

I realize you are gunning for getting the mRNA now and Novavax later, but I think the recommendation has to be that if you are getting exposed now, get one of the mRNAs immediately and consider follow-ups later.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Is the Novavax one supposed to be better?

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Lotta coughing in the office today

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's not like Novavax is a miracle drug. There is apparently some value in being, I forget what the phrase is, but basically "immunologically interesting" where you immunity comes from a variety of sources instead of 4/5/6 Pfizer shots. So having a bunch of shots of different make is better, but that doesn't make the new mRNA one useless.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tzen posted:

as Johan Liebert would put it, yes.
Justin Jectme agrees.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lib and let die posted:

Simply have Ukraine request aid in the form of Novavax

lol

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
everyone in the thread trying to get novavax is making me positively swell with pride. yes, yes.....the masses beg for the moth guts and tree blood coursing through my veins.......haha ye.s.....

though honestly, i've been telling my friends that i'm not confident in all the novavax hype going around rn, like the reason they are late is they keep having manufacturing issues, the data and model is interesting but i'm not sure it's got the kind of real world efficacy the mRNAs have seen, heterologous vaccination does seem good but mostly i think this is anxiety coping desperately for a better solution. as Rochallor said it's not a miracle drug. just beautiful, glorious moth guts.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Simply have Ukraine request aid in the form of Novavax

:hmmyes:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Rochallor posted:

It's not like Novavax is a miracle drug. There is apparently some value in being, I forget what the phrase is, but basically "immunologically interesting" where you immunity comes from a variety of sources instead of 4/5/6 Pfizer shots. So having a bunch of shots of different make is better, but that doesn't make the new mRNA one useless.

https://twitter.com/friesein/status/1650575969172742152?s=46

supposedly it targets areas that don’t change between mutations so it stays effective against future variants, a technique that’s already in use with flu vaccines?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I would never do crimes, because I am a fine, upstanding citizen.

But I am remarkably empty headed at times.

If I got a monovalent jab as soon as they were released, but then I forgot that I'd had one, and went to a different pharmacy to get Novavax, and had trouble filling out the forms with my identifying information, and paid out of pocket...

You can literally just make appointments with your real name to different pharmacies and get the same shot multiple times. It's not a problem if you pay for it out of pocket.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Shear Modulus posted:

Is the Novavax one supposed to be better?

This is the data we have (from the ACIP presentations, where there is more):

Considering the different test subjects they aren't comparable at all, but if we were to compare them, there is no clear pattern for preference :shrug:

But the wildtype Novavax had comparable protection as the bivalent vaccine. We cannot say the same with confidence about the new Novavax, but due to the way it works (and - I would argue - being an atypical vaccine), it seems likely to provide more broad protection (meaning more sturdy against new variants).

ACIP presentations can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/slides-2023-09-12.html

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

me on my way to bless everyone with my adjuvants

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Aw cmon wtf they're delaying the new novavax

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/doneford/status/1701450109484175382?s=46

was there any novavax news today or is that for the 22nd

Didn't pay Fauci and friends enough

:sad:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you mean with novavax you wont need new vaccines for variants? Pfizer isn't going to like this. application denied.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Hungry Squirrel posted:

That's why I didn't understand, I think. It's because it's stupid.

Stay awhile, and listen

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So wait I haven't been following, how are the shots being distributed? You have to pay $120, AND get a doctor order? Or is it just $120, with some kind of means tested subsidies probably if you get down and kiss Fauci's shoes?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

So wait I haven't been following, how are the shots being distributed? You have to pay $120, AND get a doctor order? Or is it just $120, with some kind of means tested subsidies probably if you get down and kiss Fauci's shoes?

Supposed to be free if you have insurance and there is a different program if you do not (though last we heard that could be a month delayed). Children are under a different program.

See the bottom of the article in this post for some details:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pingui posted:

cdc gives us boosters

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
fosborb will you change the thread title to reflect that the new boosters are now available?

"CDC Recommends Updated COVID-19 Vaccine for Fall/Winter Virus Season"

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0912-COVID-19-Vaccine.html posted:

CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect against the potentially serious outcomes of COVID-19 illness this fall and winter. Updated COVID-19 vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna will be available later this week.

Vaccination remains the best protection against COVID-19-related hospitalization and death. Vaccination also reduces your chance of suffering the effects of Long COVID, which can develop during or following acute infection and last for an extended duration.  If you have not received a COVID-19 vaccine in the past 2 months, get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect yourself this fall and winter.

The virus that causes COVID-19 is always changing, and protection from COVID-19 vaccines declines over time. Receiving an updated COVID-19 vaccine can restore protection and provide enhanced protection against the variants currently responsible for most infections and hospitalizations in the United States.  Last season, those who received a 2022-2023 COVID-19 vaccine saw greater protection against illness and hospitalization than those who did not receive a 2022-2023 vaccine.  To date, hundreds of millions of people have safely received a COVID-19 vaccine under the most intense safety monitoring in U.S. history.

Most Americans can still get a COVID-19 vaccine for free. For people with health insurance, most plans will cover COVID-19 vaccine at no cost to you. People who don’t have health insurance or with health plans that do not cover the cost can get a free vaccine from their local health centers; state, local, tribal, or territorial health department; and pharmacies participating in the CDC’s Bridge Access Program. Children eligible for the Vaccines for Children program also may receive the vaccine from a provider enrolled in that program.

“We have more tools than ever to prevent the worst outcomes from COVID-19,” said Director Mandy Cohen, M.D., M.P.H. “CDC is now recommending updated COVID-19 vaccination for everyone 6 months and older to better protect you and your loved ones.”

This is the first fall and winter virus season where vaccines are available for the three viruses responsible for most hospitalizations – COVID-19, RSV, and flu. In addition to safe, updated COVID-19 vaccines, at-home tests for the virus can identify infection so you can protect your family, coworkers, and the general public. If you do get sick, talk to your doctor about proven, effective treatments that can reduce the risk of severe illness, hospitalization, and death.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

fosborb will you change the thread title to reflect that the new boosters are now available?

Shear Modulus quick on the draw

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Morbus posted:

You can literally just make appointments with your real name to different pharmacies and get the same shot multiple times. It's not a problem if you pay for it out of pocket.

I truly did not know this. I thought that it was somehow entered into a database that would show the pharmacist your vaccine record, causing them to reject you for extra shots.

Typing that out, I do see that it's giving a whole lot of organizations too much credit, but it sounded right in my head.

Anyway, thanks! My kid and I have appointments on Monday at a local CVS to get jabbed with Moderna.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I truly did not know this. I thought that it was somehow entered into a database that would show the pharmacist your vaccine record, causing them to reject you for extra shots.
(..)

That can be the case. Be advised it depends on state.

Edit: Actually not sure about if you pay for it, as the privately purchased doses are nominally new. However - as far as I know - Novavax is still under Emergency Use Authorization, so that one cannot be used off-label.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Sep 13, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
whoa guys, the fbi is going to imprison a mod for every time one of you gives medical advice about INJECTIONS. slow your roll, thread! things are getting weird in here!!!!

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
how many injections posts to imprison all the mods

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i have taken 7 vaccine shots per day since march 1 2021

i am serious

it is my full time job

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Pingui posted:

That can be the case. Be advised it depends on state.

Edit: Actually not sure about if you pay for it, as the privately purchased doses are nominally new. However - as far as I know - Novavax is still under Emergency Use Authorization, so that one cannot be used off-label.

It’s state-based

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

maxwellhill posted:

how many injections posts to imprison all the mods

I'm injecting your voodoo doll with outdated bivalent boosters right now!!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tuyop posted:

whoa guys, the fbi is going to imprison a mod for every time one of you gives medical advice about INJECTIONS. slow your roll, thread! things are getting weird in here!!!!

people get really weird and judgy about vaccines, it's crazy

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Soap Scum posted:

i have taken 7 vaccine shots per day since march 1 2021

i am serious

it is my full time job

This poster's blood is thicker than a bowl of grits

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

i do not have blood

my veins are pulsing with pure mrna and spike protein subunits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

well the cvs website says that the new vaccines are available and prompts you to schedule an appointment so I did. first available was Monday 18th, so I assume that’s when they’re expecting to have them.