Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
lol the unity saga just got exponentially funnier.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-plan-pricing-and-packaging-updates.1482750/page-46#post-9297488

quote:

“Our terms of service provide that Unity may add or change fees at any time. We are providing more than three months advance notice of the Unity Runtime Fee before it goes into effect. Consent is not required for additional fees to take effect, and the only version of our terms is the most current version; you simply cannot choose to comply with a prior version. Further, our terms are governed by California law, notwithstanding the country of the customer. ”

That's an outstanding level of "lmao, get hosed losers" from their lawyer.

I eagerly await the 9-0 decision that "get hosed we can do whatever we want" is a perfectly cromulent legal document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Harik posted:

lol the unity saga just got exponentially funnier.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-plan-pricing-and-packaging-updates.1482750/page-46#post-9297488

That's an outstanding level of "lmao, get hosed losers" from their lawyer.

I eagerly await the 9-0 decision that "get hosed we can do whatever we want" is a perfectly cromulent legal document.

good, let's destroy gaming forever. It's done nothing good for us

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
They forgot to update their TOS before updating their TOS, whoopsidoodle

This is what happens when you make decisions by doing lines of coke and just shouting out ideas.

quote:

Retroactive TOS changes

When you obtain a version of Unity, and don’t upgrade your project, we think you should be able to stick to that version of the TOS.

In practice, that is only possible if you have access to bug fixes. For this reason, we now allow users to continue to use the TOS for the same major (year-based) version number, including Long Term Stable (LTS) builds that you are using in your project.

Moving forward, we will host TOS changes on Github to give developers full transparency about what changes are happening, and when. The link is https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/TermsOfService

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

unity sucks anyway just make your own engine

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any major games that use it? Figured they went out of fashion a while back

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Like almost every major indie game ever

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

shrike82 posted:

Are there any major games that use it? Figured they went out of fashion a while back

quite a few yeah. They're pretty popular in the non-AAA market because there (were) no royalties. Klei (Don't starve, oxygen not included) have a number of games with them, I think Among Us had something like 500m players over it's popularity cycle.

Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

Like almost every major indie game ever

2018 Battletech used Unity and I still play the poo poo out of it with umpteen million mods

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

genshin impact is made in unity and is i think the highest grossing game right now

Apr 7, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

genshin impact is made in unity and is i think the highest grossing game right now

always bet on horny

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

unity killing a bunch of ftp mobile games with transaction fees would be pretty funny

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shear Modulus posted:

it's a mobile gacha game, those print money

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’ve bought a lot of games that I have still never installed so maybe if devs just go after a certain Steam user base they will be fine.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
let me tell you all that the economy has no where to go but up and sometimes also down.

Thank you for reading my economic analysis

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1701412813967589641

Bidenomics!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
working as intended.

liberals purposefully manifested and created homeless because it serves an important function in a “free market liberal democracy”. namely, it’s to show workers that the bottom of the barrel is always deeper. you wouldn’t want to be kicked into this 300-style pit now would you??

libs love homeless

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
oh so thats why there was the "pay cut" because of the migrant crisis. they're trying to dehumanize people seeking refuge as the leechs in the system and tie them to the people you see suffering every day. cool. nothing bad will ever come of that

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xaris posted:

working as intended.

liberals purposefully manifested and created homeless because it serves an important function in a “free market liberal democracy”. namely, it’s to show workers that the bottom of the barrel is always deeper. you wouldn’t want to be kicked into this 300-style pit now would you??

libs love homeless

i hate democrats

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm not a fan of Bidenomics but they do point out that more than half of it is just migrants dumped on a bus by red state assholes. Doesn't make it less of a problem, but give credit where it's due: this Texas/Florida/etc grandstanding bullshit, not even economics per se.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Akratic Method posted:

I'm not a fan of Bidenomics but they do point out that more than half of it is just migrants dumped on a bus by red state assholes. Doesn't make it less of a problem, but give credit where it's due: this Texas/Florida/etc grandstanding bullshit, not even economics per se.

if bidendident Joe presiden didn’t want to be responsible for everything he could have not run for office

he’s not powerless to stop that grandstanding, it would just require doing something which no Dem can afford

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Even Harvey had to post about this rear end in a top hat
https://twitter.com/profdavidharvey/status/1701681664802333025?t=qQZaVE4Y4ZvzXVriM2HiYA&s=19

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DEENDEE: B-b-b-b-butt violence!!1!

Wheres that one goon post from a while.back that just ended with "What do you do then,huh, what then?!" after listing a ream of how nonviolent action is neutered

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

StealthArcher posted:

DEENDEE: B-b-b-b-butt violence!!1!

Wheres that one goon post from a while.back that just ended with "What do you do then,huh, what then?!" after listing a ream of how nonviolent action is neutered

[Redacted]

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This is the best 90 second horror movie i've ever watched.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harik posted:

This is what happens when you make decisions by doing lines of coke and just shouting out ideas.

This is the Star Citizen approach to terms of service.

For the kickstarter they had a TOS that promised a complete public "dollar by dollar" financial accounting if the game were more than a year past it's 2014 release date and then when that date arrived in 2015 it was changed to say "We can literally do whatever we want as obligations never existed, Refunds are not allowed and you also can't ever sue us in a court of law as all disputes go through arbitration."

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Harik posted:

the old one

https://web.archive.org/web/2020111...onal%20Terms.md

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This is the Star Citizen approach to terms of service.

For the kickstarter they had a TOS that promised a complete public "dollar by dollar" financial accounting if the game were more than a year past it's 2014 release date and then when that date arrived in 2015 it was changed to say "We can literally do whatever we want as obligations never existed, Refunds are not allowed and you also can't ever sue us in a court of law as all disputes go through arbitration."

You get their real thoughts if you take them up on arbitration

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Wow I can't believe it. Those few who had their lives "improve" think everything is going well, but the many who didn't think everything is broken.

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

anime was right posted:

oh so thats why there was the "pay cut" because of the migrant crisis. they're trying to dehumanize people seeking refuge as the leechs in the system and tie them to the people you see suffering every day. cool. nothing bad will ever come of that

it's true, though...the city has finite resources, and the money to suddenly take of 100,000 new people needs to appear. all that money to take care of migrants, who never paid into the system and now need food, shelter, schooling, etc., is being taken from not just nypd overtime (lol so what) but also social services in general.

Centrist Dad has issued a correction as of 12:58 on Sep 13, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Thankfully we have the fifth most powerful military as the police force to ensure there aren't any hoovervilles because that would be bad optics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

pft is right . old cars were horrible . that is like one good thing we have now . too bad they are unaffordable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my work is doing a special where you can go to a park and get 1 (one ) slice of pizza and a coke for $5

these people are insane

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

:same:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Idk that car commercial seemed spot on, doing a good job of channeling anger against employers into consumerism, where it can't hurt anybody.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I've been noticing a throughline of like sick glee in depicting sad and confused animals being abandoned at home in a lot of promotional material for back-to-the-office poo poo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

euphronius posted:

my work is doing a special where you can go to a park and get 1 (one ) slice of pizza and a coke for $5

these people are insane

jesus

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i've noticed that there's been more tech activity in the last handful of weeks, but 80% of my applications still get no response. it's staggering how many of those are focused on or pivoting into ai as well, it's gotta be 15-25%. the bubble is real and it's going to be catastrophic. even if some companies using it will be fine (mostly the conglomerates), a lot more people are going to be out of work within the next 6-12 months as they run out of funding or realize they wasted cash on something no one needs and need to salvage their capital.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

anime was right posted:

cruelty is the point, prosperity gospel demands the poor suffer

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

My brother was telling me the other day about how office workers at IRS have like this "Bravo bucks" that they give out as rewards for the workers who hit their KPI weekly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

NeonPunk posted:

My brother was telling me the other day about how office workers at IRS have like this "Bravo bucks" that they give out as rewards for the workers who hit their KPI weekly

My wife's work has "Kudos" that can be spent on branded merch. Apparently there's mega-drama around distribution of the "Kudos"