Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Maybe they should move their Black Sea fleet to Haishenwai to protect it.

Edit:

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
russia's humiliation fetish is getting out of control

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

They said "a ship is safe in the harbor" but we showed those stupid westoids!
Meanwhile, in Ukraine;

I see a ship in the harbor.
I can and shall explode.

But if it wasn't for your incompetence
You'd' be to Kyiv in three days

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zero VGS posted:

Jeez, the US went all nuclear-powered subs in 1990, 2nd army in the world is still loving around with diesel?

There's nothing wrong with diesel-electric subs. Shallow bodies of water like the Black Sea or Baltic, for example. If your navy has a coastal defense function, you don't need nukes. Sweden has diesel subs, because they're operating off their own coast.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/alx/status/1701656123709722660?s=20

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

Who knows what mighty Russia might do?

:qq:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

They might seethe and bomb a few more pieces of civilian infrastructure and towns/cities. Oh wait, they do that almost every loving day.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

After surviving a winter without gas and being forced to eat roasted squirrels in the freezing cold, I was vaporized in a nuclear blast this morning when Ukraine attacked Sevastopol and Elon couldn't stop them.

How could Elon let that happen?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Only Elon Can Avert World War Three.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

"We figured out that this was kind of like a Pearl Harbor like attack...but then I was advised that I had no loving idea what a 'Pearl Harbor like attack' was, so then I really asked us to make me look smart and then..."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

Yes, I remember my WW2 history very well - the U.S. had launched multiple attacks upon the Japanese homeland for over a year and then the latter was able to strike at Pearl Harbor, which resulted in-

Hang on, I'm just getting word from out producers...

Oh! That's not what happened at all? Huh.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

This is the future that Horseshoe Leftists and Tankie spammy Dipshits crave.

Let that sink in

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rust Martialis posted:

There's nothing wrong with diesel-electric subs. Shallow bodies of water like the Black Sea or Baltic, for example. If your navy has a coastal defense function, you don't need nukes. Sweden has diesel subs, because they're operating off their own coast.

Well I mean, nuclear subs can stay submerged for much longer. Which presumably means less time in harbor. Which means less opportunity of uh, this. So I guess that's one thing wrong with them, in hindsight.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Well I mean, nuclear subs can stay submerged for much longer. Which presumably means less time in harbor.

I don't follow.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Future of naval warfare

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

"I was put in a position where I had to decide who to support and I chose the guys invading, setting up torture dens, raping and killing civilians. It just makes sense when you think about it"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Elon Musk is really making it difficult for the US administration to uphold their "billionaires are above all laws" policy.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

The_Franz posted:

“Secret Service agents discovered Yeltsin alone on Pennsylvania Avenue, dead drunk, clad in his underwear, yelling for a taxi,” Branch wrote in his book. “Yeltsin slurred his words in a loud argument with the baffled agents. He did not want to go back into Blair House, where he was staying. He wanted a taxi to go out for pizza.”

When Branch asked Clinton how the situation ended, the president shrugged and said, “Well, he got his pizza.” But the next night, Clinton recalled, Yeltsin tried to do it again.

“Eluding security, he made his way down the back stairs into the Blair House basement, where a building guard mistook him for a drunken intruder,” Branch wrote. “Yeltsin was briefly endangered until converging Russian and American agents sorted out everyone’s affiliation.” Because the guards mistook him for an intruder, “Clinton thought this incident, although contained within Blair House, exposed even greater risk than the pizza quest.”

If this happened today you'd have a globally-available livestream of teens hectoring a drunk guy with buttons, maybe even stealing some slices out of his box.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

beer_war posted:

I don't follow.

The nuclear fuel cores last decades, so they can forgo refueling and spend longer underway, thus presenting less opportunities to get hosed up as a sitting duck. I'm just wondering why Russia haven't completely phased out diesel, like the US did. US even ditched the lovely kitty in 2009 so now it's all nuclear aircraft carriers too.

Wikipedia says USSR/Russia cranked out 245 subs from the 1950's to 1997, so like, why not ditch the jalopies and streamline the supply chain and training?

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

Why are people (and Musk) giggling during this discussion? Seems a bit tacky considering the consequential massacres of civilians but maybe that's just me.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Well I mean, nuclear subs can stay submerged for much longer. Which presumably means less time in harbor. Which means less opportunity of uh, this. So I guess that's one thing wrong with them, in hindsight.

I don't think you can in general say which is better, diesel-electric subs or nuclear. It is common for weapon systems to be tailored to some specific purpose so diesel subs are better in some mission profiles and nukes in other. Like if you need a large nuclear armed submarines for part of your nuclear deterrent, nuclear powered subs are great because you can put them sailing and hiding in the middle of ocean for months without need to refuel. But if you are in shallower waters, need to operate very quiet (diesel sub when in electric mode) and don't want to pay tons for nuclear infrastructure for navy (so train engineers, build complicated powerplants in sub etc.) when cheaper diesel sub can do the same, there's no point in going nuclear. In fact because diesel subs can be relatively cheaper, you can get more of them. This is the reason Swedes and Germans for example operate diesel-electric submarines.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Zero VGS posted:

Wikipedia says USSR/Russia cranked out 245 subs from the 1950's to 1997, so like, why not ditch the jalopies and streamline the supply chain and training?

Diesel submarines can run silent and are cheap

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also, Russia is was a major exporter of diesel-electric subs so they want to keep industrial base for building them. And you can sell weapon system better if your own armed forces use that system.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In NATO exercises the Dutch woul regularly clown the Americans using their diesel-electric boats by sneaking up to them, surfacing right in the middle of a carrier group and shooting off pretend torpedoes. They would also sneak into Soviet anchor places in the Mediterranean and make sonar recordings and take pictures and such.

The sonar recordings are very useful intelligence because each ship has a unique sonic signature so you can track them using underwater microphones.

This was all published in a book about some of the activities of the Dutch submarine fleet. Idk if it has been translates but it's a good read.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

AJA posted:

This is the future that Horseshoe Leftists and Tankie spammy Dipshits crave.

Let that sink in

Do any right-wingers point to these nutters and say 'these are people we can work with' or do they just simply refer to them under their umbrella term of leftists and leave it at that?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
lmao at having to meet NK tin pot dictator to suckle the teet for ammo.

lmao at NK thinking it's now relevant because it fired off some overweight, slow missiles and is meeting a fellow tin pot dictator.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Glah posted:

I don't think you can in general say which is better, diesel-electric subs or nuclear. It is common for weapon systems to be tailored to some specific purpose so diesel subs are better in some mission profiles and nukes in other. Like if you need a large nuclear armed submarines for part of your nuclear deterrent, nuclear powered subs are great because you can put them sailing and hiding in the middle of ocean for months without need to refuel. But if you are in shallower waters, need to operate very quiet (diesel sub when in electric mode) and don't want to pay tons for nuclear infrastructure for navy (so train engineers, build complicated powerplants in sub etc.) when cheaper diesel sub can do the same, there's no point in going nuclear. In fact because diesel subs can be relatively cheaper, you can get more of them. This is the reason Swedes and Germans for example operate diesel-electric submarines.

Also, there are drives now that allow for several weeks of under water operation that Germany and Sweden both have, so unless you need to spend several months under water, diesel-electric is the way to go.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody tell Australia pls :ssh:

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Zero VGS posted:

The nuclear fuel cores last decades, so they can forgo refueling and spend longer underway, thus presenting less opportunities to get hosed up as a sitting duck. I'm just wondering why Russia haven't completely phased out diesel, like the US did. US even ditched the lovely kitty in 2009 so now it's all nuclear aircraft carriers too.

The Kilo class diesel-electric submarine is a major export product for the Soviet Onion and later the RF.
China based it's current generation subs on the subs they bought from Russia.
Algeria, China, India (10!), Poland, Iran and Vietnam (6!) all have, or have had Russian built Kilo's for coastal defense.

The Indonesian Navy was interested in purchasing two Kilo-class submarines. But in 2014 after inspecting the submarines, decided to cancel the plans. They said, "The submarines look good on the outside, but the inside is filled with broken equipment, and the two submarines have been in storage for two years."
They went with a joint German/South Korean sub design instead.

No joke, the Kilo class is planned to be succeeded by the Lada class.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Ah OK, thanks for explaining all those reasons. I was enlisted in the Navy but I guess I'm not a sub understander. The bubbleheads I knew implied nuclear subs were just strictly better.

Wiki also says

quote:

Nuclear submarines can run even more quietly,[citation needed] at very low speeds only, by turning off active reactor cooling during silent running. The reactor is then only cooled by natural convection of the water.
but seems like that's only at specific speeds, while diesel can run off the batteries at higher speeds?

Anyway, here's a cool cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UkbPLnt-JY

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

ComfyPants posted:

If legit, that looks bad

Can I finally drag this out again

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I doubt it's really unconditional.

The fight against imperialism, fought through imperialist wars of conquest.

Edit: Putin finally found someone shorter than him

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Sep 13, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zero VGS posted:

Ah OK, thanks for explaining all those reasons. I was enlisted in the Navy but I guess I'm not a sub understander. The bubbleheads I knew implied nuclear subs were just strictly better.

Wiki also says

but seems like that's only at specific speeds, while diesel can run off the batteries at higher speeds?

d/e boats run slow on battery. like say 2-6 knots. faster they go the faster the power runs out and they have to snorkel on the diesel to recharge and that is noisy as gently caress.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Kadyrov's fav dudes got HIMARS'd and he turned into the Bam Margera of the east

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1701685041770705315#m
Rose twitter's not going to be happy about this.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Musk saying something as stupid as that has probably got him on some kind of SBU poo poo list. Would not be shocked if he visits ukraine at some point and gets arrested as a foreign agent or similar.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Wiki also says

I think there's not a big speed difference but difference in the amount of noise. Like when nuclear sub runs silent, the reactor itself is still making some noise so diesel-electric in electric mode is still quieter. Buuuuuut how much I don't know and would guess is classified. Maybe we should ask War Thunder forums. :v:

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Dwesa posted:

I doubt it's really unconditional.

The fight against imperialism, fought through imperialist wars of conquest.

Edit: Putin finally found someone shorter than him

Unfortunately North Korea's production capacity is nothing to scoff at. They have the facilities and work force

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Drone_Fragger posted:

Musk saying something as stupid as that has probably got him on some kind of SBU poo poo list. Would not be shocked if he visits ukraine at some point and gets arrested as a foreign agent or similar.

I doubt he ever leaves his house/pillow fort under his desk.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

Pearl Harbor 2.0.

Unprecedented escalation

:fuckoff:

Holy poo poo the most painfully stupid man

Oh yeah a surprise attack on a country at war for 6 months

Right :downs:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sub chat: The Royal Navy has commissioned 32 nuclear-powered submarines over the years. While 21 have since been decommissioned, exactly zero have been disposed of. They're just slowly accumulating in dock, because successive governments haven't wanted to be the ones who pay for dealing with it. It's one major headache less if you go diesel.

Edit: 22. The first sub will be fully dismantled by 2026, 34 years after being decommissioned.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bratwurst massage posted:

Unfortunately North Korea's production capacity is nothing to scoff at. They have the facilities and work force

They also have stockpiles. Lots of stockpiles. Doesnt matter if the failure rate is 30%, it's still of more than sufficent quantity.

Still, Russia of all places begging for ammo.