Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I much appreciate the endorsement for google translate, as its the only other one I think I'll suggest they install it and download Spanish for stock as well in case they need a fallback.

I don't travel much so never used these apps but had a look at the stock one a couple days ago, the ability to photo a page of text and have it instantly translated is crazy, magic level poo poo. That said I'm monolingual so the the output might have been gibberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
For the languages it supports, I've found DeepL tends to have better translation quality

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

zhar posted:

I much appreciate the endorsement for google translate, as its the only other one I think I'll suggest they install it and download Spanish for stock as well in case they need a fallback.

I don't travel much so never used these apps but had a look at the stock one a couple days ago, the ability to photo a page of text and have it instantly translated is crazy, magic level poo poo. That said I'm monolingual so the the output might have been gibberish.

Turning on the live translating through the camera on Google Translate melted my brain when I stumbled upon it a few trips ago. You get a lot of gibberish but usually the general meaning is there - of course, depending on language. It’s fun translating ads as you sit on the train, or are just wandering around.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder how ChatGPT does.

Just tried, it definitely translates French to English in proper sentences but have no confidence now correct it is.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Are there any iPhone running apps that have turn-by-turn voice navigation so I don't need to keep looking at my phone when taking a new route that I've pre-programmed like with Runkeeper? The ideal solution would be to let me add specific cues of when I'll need help knowing when to go, e.g. a map pin that when I get close will read out something I've entered in earlier, like "Take the left path at the weird statue" or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Which app to set up a square widget with a countdown to a date or calendar event? “69 days until EVENT” for example

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which app to set up a square widget with a countdown to a date or calendar event? “69 days until EVENT” for example

The one I use is called Up Ahead. It’s a nice design and has a few widget designs.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/up-ahead-countdown-widgets/id1583147528

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So with the most recent update Deliveries now no longer works with UPS and hasn't with FedEX for a bit now. I got in before they moved to a subscription and while it isn't mission critical it's rapidly losing usefulness as it no longer natively supports two of the three most common shippers in the US. What is everyone else using?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
https://apps.apple.com/app/id375589283

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Love Parcel. Nice widget. Amazon integration. Just wish it would archive delivered packages.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Love Parcel. Nice widget. Amazon integration. Just wish it would archive delivered packages.

There’s a view option to only show active packages

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

FCKGW posted:

There’s a view option to only show active packages

Apparently I was using an older TestFlight version that doesn’t have that. Whoops.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In Wallet there’s a package button that seems to be for tracking packages but I can’t seem to figure out how to add UPS tracking numbers to it. There’s only a search bar. What’s the deal with this menu?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like it only works from participating merchants, who probably have to implement something in their app for wallet
Integration.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Parcel seems nice but I don't love the subscription. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get by without handing over money each year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

In Wallet there’s a package button that seems to be for tracking packages but I can’t seem to figure out how to add UPS tracking numbers to it. There’s only a search bar. What’s the deal with this menu?
It's automatic but only works with order made using Apple Pay, so it's not actually very useful. :shrug:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Warbird posted:

Parcel seems nice but I don't love the subscription. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get by without handing over money each year.

I doubt the carriers allow free API calls on large scale like this app requires, plus the dev does a solid of keeping it working and up to date. $5/yr is barely anything for what you’re getting.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
0.42c a month is too expensive 👿

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I doubt the carriers allow free API calls on large scale like this app requires, plus the dev does a solid of keeping it working and up to date. $5/yr is barely anything for what you’re getting.

Oh I hear you and don’t disagree. I pay a lot more for Carrot for the same reasons. I wish these apps would allow you to enter in your own API keys to help with this but get why they don’t.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible in Shortcuts to set either a timer or alarm at a set time but force it to only vibrate and not play an alarm noise? I can’t see anything in the “create an alarm” command to specify the alarm tone or lack thereof.

If I manually set an alarm I can have no noise (and I assume it’ll vibrate) but in timer there’s no such option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is it possible in Shortcuts to set either a timer or alarm at a set time but force it to only vibrate and not play an alarm noise? I can’t see anything in the “create an alarm” command to specify the alarm tone or lack thereof.

If I manually set an alarm I can have no noise (and I assume it’ll vibrate) but in timer there’s no such option.

This is easily solved with an Apple Watch

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Warbird posted:

Oh I hear you and don’t disagree. I pay a lot more for Carrot for the same reasons. I wish these apps would allow you to enter in your own API keys to help with this but get why they don’t.

How much of a discount would you be expecting on $5/yr for bringing your own key?

If you get value out of it, then the devs time and effort is worth rewarding.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve used Parcel for years at this point and it’s well worth it. Even auto-syncs with Amazon nowadays.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

No idea about shortcuts but I like the app QuietAlert for vibrate timers

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Snowy posted:

No idea about shortcuts but I like the app QuietAlert for vibrate timers
Thanks for the recommendation! It seems alright although I wish it would just keep vibrating until dismissed. Plus since it’s an app I’d be worried about it falling out of iOS’s active apps list if I’ve used a bunch of other apps in the meantime and missing the alarm, plus if you did miss the vibration it doesn’t leave a notification on the Lock Screen.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for the recommendation! It seems alright although I wish it would just keep vibrating until dismissed. Plus since it’s an app I’d be worried about it falling out of iOS’s active apps list if I’ve used a bunch of other apps in the meantime and missing the alarm, plus if you did miss the vibration it doesn’t leave a notification on the Lock Screen.

Uncheck the repeat symbol so it keeps vibrating, that should be the default but it isn’t

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ohhh that’s totally not how I thought that would work. Thanks!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ohhh that’s totally not how I thought that would work. Thanks!

My pleasure, I went through the same thing and was happy to find a way to make it work

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

How much of a discount would you be expecting on $5/yr for bringing your own key?

Parcel has to deal with multiple third party's APIs (Amazon, FedEx, USPS, UPS) changing on a whim, so that alone makes it well worth the annual subscription, but the fact that he adopts new iOS APIs and features quickly.

I'm shocked more people don't just use Apple's weather app, but I know it's source isn't always the most reliable - Forecast Advisor says The Weather Channel is the most reliable in my area, which Apple Weather uses on the backend.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

101 posted:

About 5 $/yr less an initial buy in I’d say. :v: Though as mentioned due to the sheer range of bullshit entailed in supporting that many companies/APIs I totally get the need for a sub. That doesn’t make me happy about the fact, but I do understand it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Parcel is free if you only track three packages at a time. It's so good that I'd gladly pay for it if I needed more than that, but it hasn't really been an issue yet.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone else with YouTube Premium find that the app basically only ever plays by default at 720p no matter what setting you’ve chosen?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Anyone else with YouTube Premium find that the app basically only ever plays by default at 720p no matter what setting you’ve chosen?

Not be default but every so often it reverts to that and I have to change it. I have no idea why

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

What subscription apps do you use?

I'm using Drafts Pro ($19.99/year, amazing general purpose text editing, processing, scripting), no ads for Overcast ($9.99/year, using it for badly recorded podcasts), and trying out TickTick ($2.99/month, persistent reminders that I can't ignore, multi-platform).

Overcast

Clip Studio Paint (but mostly use it on my ipad)

Shonen Jump

1Blocker

A Better Route Planner (for electric cars)

Apple One

NoMoRobo (seems to becoming less effective)

Weather Underground

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Warbird posted:

I mean, it's only $5/year. If it works where Deliveries has failed (now with almost everything at this point) it seems worth it to me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I sub to Apple one only. Used to do carrot it lapsed. If you do sub, always cancel it immediately.

Have no use for a package tracking app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I need to keep track of my time split between 2 projects at work for billing purposes. It doesn’t need to be exact just need to know at the end of the day something like “6.5 hrs project A, 1.5 hrs project B” and I’ll prolly never need anything more than 30 min increments. A Lock Screen widget seems perfect for this. Any suggestions with iOS 17 now?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple One because AM is better than Spotify
Parcel for Package Tracking
Overcast for Podcasts
Infuse for better Plex playback
Ivory for Mastodon but might cancel
Carrot because my partner refuses to switch to stock weather

Sometimes I’ll sub to Mixel for cocktail recipes. I really don’t mind throwing an app that regularly gets updated or adds features $10 a year.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I paid for carrot but never bothered with the subscription, and honestly yeah I think the stock weather app is better now anyway.

Only have Apple One subscription right now. Apple Music, the storage for photos, AppleTV+ and Apple Arcade still make that a good deal. I really should try the fitness routines sometime (lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The Stardew Valley with the serial numbers filed off in the App Store (Japanese Rural Life Adventures) has been my constant companion for the last few days. You probably won't get anything out of it if you've played Stardew, but it's as open as it needs to be and has lots of little missions to tick off as you go through the seasons. A+ would feed berries to the dog for months (feelin' like you shouldn't feed berries to dogs in real life).