Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A friend of mine was a backer and despite it being on drivethru has not gotten anything about getting his copy yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Any thoughts on the Worms kickstarter, thread?

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 9, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This is not a kickstarter, and you're sending money as is for something that may never happen via Paypal, but Mr Welch is asking for money for a D&D DM's Mystara Guide, mostly for the art.

The Mystara Player's Guide can be found here and is free (though you can donate money if you like too).

Yes, he's the man of 750 things Mr. Welch can no longer do in a RPG.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My copy of Kinfire chronicles which was mentioned here arrived. Really nicely put together. Sadly it's double handed rather than true solo, but still plays nicely.

I love the acrylic standees, hope more games start using them rather than tons of plastic.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Angrymog posted:

I love the acrylic standees, hope more games start using them rather than tons of plastic.

Uhhhhh :what:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Acrylic standees are great. Will take them every time over minis that will never get painted.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

You know what I mean. Yes, acrylics are plastic too, but much less of it and they're pretty out of the box rather than probably never being painted.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Chip Theory has a campaign for an expansion to Hoplomachus Remastered/Victorum as well as reprints of the base games up on Gamefound: https://gamefound.com/en/projects/chip-theory-games/hoplomachus-pandora-expansions--base-game-reprints

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i feel like there's so many of these kind of rpg-in-a-box-with-tactical-combat games out there that I no longer have any idea what is good. i'm still playing frosthaven. is there any place that does a good rundown of these kinds of games?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Impermanent posted:

i feel like there's so many of these kind of rpg-in-a-box-with-tactical-combat games out there that I no longer have any idea what is good. i'm still playing frosthaven. is there any place that does a good rundown of these kinds of games?

Hoplomachus Victorum isn't strictly an RPG, although it does have a basic plot. The focus is almost entirely on resource management and acquisition as you path around the world map trying to get strong enough to win the boss battle. It's also fairly epic - no *haven, but each of the four Acts in a campaign will take 90-120 minutes - and it's purely a solo game.

If you just want the tactical combats, though, you can get Hoplomachus Remastered instead. It's exactly the same mechanics, just tweaked for single hour-long competitive or cooperative scenarios and up to four players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Final Girl Series 3 has launched and is funded already. Feature Film themes this time are Terminator 2, Hellraiser, Stranger Things (inevitably), Saw and Tremors. Some big shake-ups to the mechanics: some FFs have uniquely different maps, the Terminator-based FF lets you recruit the Killer as an ally against an even worse Killer if you want, and there's an optional Tears system that makes the game a bit easier by letting you cash in negative results for bonuses.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 19, 2023

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Beast has a new expansion out on Gamefound: https://gamefound.com/en/projects/studio-midhall/beast-shattered-isles

Minis too if you're into that. I actually really appreciate that they've put them as optional instead forcing increased prices and footprints considerably.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GrandpaPants posted:

Beast has a new expansion out on Gamefound: https://gamefound.com/en/projects/studio-midhall/beast-shattered-isles

Minis too if you're into that. I actually really appreciate that they've put them as optional instead forcing increased prices and footprints considerably.

Beast's acrylic standees were great. Wasn't a fan of the sleeves they offered though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jedit posted:

Final Girl Series 3 has launched and is funded already. Feature Film themes this time are Terminator 2, Hellraiser, Stranger Things (inevitably), Saw and Tremors. Some big shake-ups to the mechanics: some FFs have uniquely different maps, the Terminator-based FF lets you recruit the Killer as an ally against an even worse Killer if you want, and there's an optional Tears system that makes the game a bit easier by letting you cash in negative results for bonuses.

gently caress, I don't have any of this game and i'm not even sure I want a fully solo game but I love the whole style and a bunch of the films they're copying

GrandpaPants posted:

I got the original and it's pretty fun, again just the style is so nice. do I need or want more of it? dunno yet

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's also new content for Mythic Mischief, no idea if it's good or not but it looks pretty:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ivstudios/mythic-mischief-vol-ii/description

and Awaken Realms have launched their Pokemon game that already seems very popular:

https://gamefound.com/en/projects/awaken-realms/dragon-eclipse

and lastly CMONS next kickstarter is DC Zombicide, I have no idea how anyone is still buying any zombicide content but it could be amusing? at the very least it'll be easy to sell on

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The Tremors box is also riffing on A Quiet Place for the killer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CODChimera posted:

gently caress, I don't have any of this game and i'm not even sure I want a fully solo game but I love the whole style and a bunch of the films they're copying

Happily it's a modular game so you can dip the toe without going balls deep on it. Core Box and one feature will set you back $40, and you can buy them at retail now if you want to try before committing to a pledge.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

CODChimera posted:

and lastly CMONS next kickstarter is DC Zombicide, I have no idea how anyone is still buying any zombicide content but it could be amusing? at the very least it'll be easy to sell on

Oh I was confused for a bit because they already have a Washington, D.C. themed Zombicide that's already available, so I was like, are they doing it again or something? But no, the new one is DC comics themed, haha.

There's a lot of Zombicides available. I've got the 2nd Edition version, and in general I think they're decent from what I've played, but they do seem to have a lot of them.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

AWESOME GHOULS LAUNCHING 26TH SEP!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/ghouls

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This is an interesting one, Cole Wehrle's next game is Molly House - A game of queer joy and betrayal in 18th century London, done in collaboration with Jo Kelly who debuted the game as an 2021 Zenobia Award Finalist. (Link is to the Backer Kit pre-launch page, the campaign launches on October 17.)

quote:

From the studio that brought you the critically-acclaimed Pax Pamir and John Company comes Molly House, the debut design collaboration from Jo Kelly and Cole Wehrle with illustrations by Rachel Ford.

In Molly House, players take the roles of the gender-defying mollies of early eighteenth century London. Throw grand masquerades and cruise back alleys while evading moralistic constables who seek to destroy your community. Be careful, there may even be informers in your midst!

Molly House is a deep, interactive historical game bedecked in a fancy party dress.

Over the course of an hour, players will draft hands of vice cards representing the different gestures, desires, and encounters that were frowned upon by the Society for the Reformation of Manners, a citizen group that sought to stamp out any behavior it deemed deviant in late 17th and early 18th century London. These cards allow players to host festivities with the help of their fellow mollies and create joy. But, those same cards can also lead players to be arrested and to the ultimate ruin of the molly house.

As players encounter the Society’s enforcers, they will often have to pay bribes or may be coerced into becoming informers for the Society. Informers must try desperately to undermine the community around Mother Clap’s Molly House without being discovered by their fellow mollies.

What follows is a novel twist on traditional secret role games where a player’s identity is as fluid as the cards in their hand. This 1-5 player game brims with opportunities for collaboration and coercion that bear the design hallmarks of a Wehrlegig game, but in a way that is approachable and easily playable within an hour.

Cole has a designer diary talking about it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3156663/designer-diary-1-whats-all-then

quote:

This kicked off what has become a years-long collaboration. Eventually we settled into a rhythm where the design was passed between myself and Jo with Drew serving as a helpful developer and intermediary. As a rule, the only thing sacred in the design was the core story and a particular kind of feeling that we wanted to convey: Molly House was a game about the found queer communities of the early eighteenth century and how they created joy and kinship in impossible situations. It was also a game about how those communities were torn apart. Everything else had to work at the service of that. If a mechanism wasn’t working, it was dropped. The game at various times involved dice drafting, bag pulling and any number of other systems. At times it shrunk to be barely a card game and other times ballooned into a veritable Lacerta game. Through it all, we kept our eyes on that central idea and never hesitated to call each other out when the design drifted too far from its heart.

And we liked working together. I know that I can be a difficult, full-contact collaborator, but I found a good partner in Jo. We agreed about the really important stuff. We were patient with the process and tireless about the desire to make something really good. We also agreed that game mechanisms are simply narrative tools, not products, and that the best parts of the play experience come from the folks gathered around the table, not the systems on it, however clever they might be.

Then, this past June, we had a chance to meet in person. Drew and I flew out to the UKGE to scout out the show and meet some of our partners in the industry. For the first time we sat down with Jo in person and played through Molly House. And, to our surprise, it mostly worked. Well, to be honest, it didn’t work at all, at first. But in just a few hours time we did some rapid iteration and soon the design was earnestly firing. Within a few months, we had a stable game core (after perhaps two years of stumbling iteration—surely that can’t be right!). Drew and I took this design to Gen Con and showed it to more friends from the industry and suddenly it seemed like Molly House was going to happen.

Wehrlegig Games was not started as a traditional historical game publishing company. Really, I just wanted a way to get my historical games to market and have more control over their presentation. Over the past several years a real community has grown up around our games, and we want to share more games with that community. I can’t wait for you all to play Molly House, and I hope it is the first of many games like it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Molly House sounds interesting and honestly, I’m down to give anything by Cole Wehrle a shot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The extreme fluidity of informer identities sounds tricky to make work as a game, I'm curious about how it turned out!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

sportsgenius86 posted:

Molly House sounds interesting and honestly, I’m down to give anything by Cole Wehrle a shot.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Lucky Duck x Splotter! Holy poo poo! I woulda bet Capstone to get more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Worse in every way

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
To all you who bitch about Splotter's aesthetics, the monkey's paw curls another finger.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

man if I can get it for cheaper than $100 i'll take it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it kinda feels like you'd want to hire an artist at some point in the process of making a deluxe version of a game

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is this the new art or the original art they are replacing? It doesn't look very good so I can see why they would want to replace it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Every component design in that pic is new and worse. People hated the original map tiles for being plain white aside from houses/drinks/roads but that is critical to keeping game state readable when the map is filled with components. Turning those into a desert look with a lazy yellow cloud filter in photoshop is baffling. The house minis literally hiding demand tokens from certain angles is such a dumb idea I can't believe they were designed by someone that's played the game. BGG users have done better looking redesigns and 3d minis for everything.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Darkest Dungeon's board game has an update. After six months of silence, Mythic Games made this announcement:

quote:

As with Wave 1 and 6: Siege, we will be asking for a contribution to help with the production and delivery of Wave 2. Unlike Wave 1, we're unlikely to have any outside financial support to help us cover some of the additional costs, which means a higher contribution than we asked for in Wave 1, but we've considered some interesting options to keep that contribution to a minimum.

Week of October 2 - Contributions open
October 31st - Last day for contributions
November to December - Working with the factory to ensure paper files are ready for printing and receiving final proofs.
December to January - Estimated start of printing.

For those who haven't been following the years-in-the-making train wreck that is Mythic Games, it's an all-time classic. Here's the context:
  • Mythic Games had run a number of highly successful Kickstarters when they decided to put out a Darkest Dungeon board game with a ton of miniatures;
  • they promised refunds for those who later decided they didn't want the game as part of the campaign;
  • the fundraising part was massively successful, closing in November of 2020 having raised $5.6 million;
  • immediately after closing the campaign, Mythic collected a (hefty) amount for shipping)
  • estimated delivery of November of 2021, from a company who was supposed to be very experienced making these games;
  • The game was not delivered in November of 2021;
  • Mythic Games just kept kept doing Kickstarters: 6 Siege, a Rainbow Six boardgame @$1.5 million ; Hel, $2.2 million ; Monsterpocalyspe, $1.3 million for a cheaper version of an already fully existing table top game; Rise of the Necromancer, $.3 million; Anastyr, $1,000,000;
  • Eventually they had so many outstanding projects Kickstarter told them no more until you deliver!
  • So they started putting them on Gamefound, who told them no more after about one;
  • as of July of 2022, the reality set in at Mythic Games that in order to do more fundraising campaigns, they had to actually deliver something;
  • Darkest Dungeon was the longest in development at that point, and the highest profile one, so they went with that;
  • There were some difficulties, however, in that Darkest Dungeon development was not remotely close to complete at least as promised in the Kickstarter:

• So Mythic games announced they would be splitting delivery into two Waves, with the base game and first expansion in Wave 1 and the rest of the expansions and all parts of non-English language editions in Wave 2;
  • Except, also, despite having collected piles of money in fund raising, and pre-charge shipping, without actually delivering on any of the above, Mythic had run out of money and couldn't pay to deliver the games;
  • They blamed this on the global shipping situation at the time which was legitimately a much higher than expected cost;
  • Mythic went begging, and got money from Red Hook (who made the excellent video game) and then announced backers would need to make a contribution too:

• No contribution means they will just "hold the game", and those who do contribute will be getting a gift! (The gift was a 15% discount code for people who already bought the game to buy the game, which is frequently sold for 50% off via the website);
  • Refunds will still be available! They set an amount aside each month to pay refunds, and put refunds into a queue, and as of today they still haven't progressed past paying refunds filed as of July of 2022;
  • Most of those who did make the contribution got the base game and first expansion in the fall/winter of 2022
  • Delivery was shortly followed by the resignation, termination or layoff of many of Mythic Game staff;
  • In May of 2023, Mythic decided to also try to deliver on 6 Siege, and the demands for contributions were as high as $249 because for this one, Mythic spent all of their money on development and had zero money for production or delivery;
  • Delivery is, as of today, still pending on 6 Siege;
  • Mythic had confirmed in a pinned post (to stop questions) that those who made a Wave 1 contribution for Darkest Dungeon would not need to make any more contributions;
  • Which leads to today's announcement that they want a contribution from Darkest Dungeon backers for Wave 2.

Today's post is curious in some ways, and unsurprising in others.

On the zero surprise front, the pinned announcement that there would be no need for a second contribution from Wave 1 contributors has vanished. It was ridiculous lie which they told prominently while they were trying to get more 6 Siege money in, but it made no sense given what's known about their finances.

The amount of the contribution has not been disclosed. It's a week out from when Mythic will begin demanding payment. They know, and don't want to announce. Whatever the amount is, it is not going to be better than Siege 6 where they had to fund all production. It seems like it will be far worse because there is a lot of stuff they are supposed to deliver in Wave 2.

For me, the more subtle but problematic issue is how Mythic could even be in a position to go to production on Wave 2. There hasn't been a single update pertaining to actual game development since June of 2022. When on earth did all of that get finished? Mythic's staff has shrunk massively since they did the Wave 1 stuff. On the same point, today's post says all of Mythic's efforts have been on 6 Siege the past few months and now they're shifting to Darkest Dungeon. 6 Siege was supposedly read to print in May of 2023. It wouldn't be a zero amount of effort to do the various approvals, but the level of work would be tiny compared to the amount of development work still needed on Darkest Dungeon. It taking everything Mythic has to get printing done makes sense; Mythic having the staff to actually finish Wave 2 doesn't.

And then there's the timeline. Those dates suggest show they want money (presumably a lot of it) from Darkest Dungeon backers long before the 6 Siege deliveries will start (that's been pushed back to March of 2024).

In short, there's a few red flags.

Edit:

Here's a text from the now deleted post in which Mythic told people that paying the contribution for Wave 2 at that time (July 2022) meant they would not be asked for further contributions:

quote:

For anyone who has already did the contributions with wave 1,you will NOT be asked for any additional contribution when wave 2 is getting ready to ship. You initial contribution covered shipping for both waves. This is only for those backers who ordered a language product outside of EN and have not be asked for a contribution.

Their explanation for deleting it is that it is, "No longer true."

Edit 2: Here's the video of them confirming that the first contribution would be the last one:
https://discord.com/channels/378448153730482176/738801771232755796/1154956962451181609

Maneck fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 23, 2023

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really glad that Monolith took over publishing Mythic Battles -- just amazing how Mythic turned all the goodwill from that amazing first Pantheon project into... this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stop backing games with a poo poo ton of minis.
They are a massive production bottleneck.

Stop backing campaigns by publishers that haven't delivered the previous project
(But if they're on boats heading to ports, or juuust before this step, that's a good sign. Read posts.)

Those 2 steps will clear up the vast majority of issues for a lot of backers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"please give extra money" is such a massive sign a campaign is bordering on tanking completely.

I have seen it done a handful of times, and that was right as the main brunt of COVID was ending, but that's not the vibe I'm getting here.

Just refund your poo poo and go buy 2-3 things off your wishlist

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

6 siege was supposed to be ready to go, they just needed shipping money but now it won't be delivered for another year

I only have 2 things from darkest dungeon wave 2, think I'm just gonna take the loss here. mythic are lying their asses off

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So glad I didn't back any of those campaigns.

I do have like four outstanding with Petersen Games and a couple with Blacklist so it's not like I completely dodged bullets. Though, incredibly, somehow both of those situations seem less hosed and irrecoverable than Mythic's. Like, Petersen Games has managed to deliver the oldest outstanding campaign (not one I backed alas) and now has an identifiable source of assistance and funding to make the rest happen (i.e. Catalyst). And Blacklist...well, that's still probably a train wreck but some of their licensed poo poo has made it out and Tides of the Dragon has been seen in the wild, albeit not in the US. I don't hold out high hopes for the other stuff they had going, but Tides might maybe see the light of day? I'll be honest, that's the one I care about. Dire Alliance Horror was the other game I backed and it looked fun but given a choice between another bunch of content for my favorite game they put out and a fairly thin spread for a one-off game I haven't tried yet and almost certainly will never be expanded or spun out into a franchise? Definitely prefer the former.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Speaking of trainwrecks, Divinity: Original Sin is allegedly shipping late next month and should be in homes by December.

It's over three years late and is a completely different game to what is still shown on the Kickstarter page, having been scrapped and redesigned from scratch by a different studio entirely. Literally none of what is displayed in the campaign is in the final product, though they've reused the name of some of the components for whatever we are actually getting.

I never bothered refunding because I'm not hard up for money and I am morbidly curious as to what they've finally churned out.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pretty sure they're not allowed to change the campaign page once it's funded, much like you can't change pledge levels that have been pledged to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Yeah, I pledged to MonsterPocalypse, before people were REALLY weary of Mythic, but also at the point where they were already 3-4 projects behind. Thankfully, I only pledged at the $100 tier on Kickstarter, and I wasn't charged for the add-ons I ordered during the PledgeManager (as far as I can tell checking the GameFound page, and running through my bank statements & PayPal), because it was locked by GF due to all the questionable poo poo going on with Mythic. I can deal with losing $100 and seeing how bad poo poo turns out if/when they get around to actually producing MP, but if those charges had gone through and I was $600+ invested into this thing... I think that's the most I have ever planned on spending for a KS project, and this experience has really soured me on going above $100~$150 for anything from then on. Saved me from jumping in on RivenStone!

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 25, 2023