Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

What's the experience like going from Android to iPhone, especially porting over photos w/ metadata intact.

Never done it myself but there is a "Move to iOS" app in the Play Store just for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, ATT is giving slightly more for trade-in on their website compared to picking ATT trade-in in the Apple Store app. My wife’s 12 Pro is worth $830 via ATT direct vs $800 through the Apple Store app. Weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good luck with the site actually fully completing and working. I’m on a 0/2 attempts with them for two different lines and has always involved long phone calls or spending multiple hours in their store.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Huh, ATT is giving slightly more for trade-in on their website compared to picking ATT trade-in in the Apple Store app. My wife’s 12 Pro is worth $830 via ATT direct vs $800 through the Apple Store app. Weird.

It's a lock-in for your contract. From what I understand it's prorated over 36 months (basically a credit against the cost of your new phone), and if you end your contract they instantly call in the full value.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon has 25% off Magsafe accessories if you want a puck or one of the duo charger things

Not a Children posted:

It's a lock-in for your contract. From what I understand it's prorated over 36 months (basically a credit against the cost of your new phone), and if you end your contract they instantly call in the full value.
It's the same thing the Apple site is offering. You can get carrier deals through Apple now, just AT&T is offering more going directly through them.

(And no, if you end early they call in the remaining balance, not the full value)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’m on the upgrade program now, is there much benefit to skipping the 15 and keeping my 14? I’m bad at math.

My job is hard on phones so I would like a nice clean charging port and speakers/mic but otherwise it doesn’t seem like a huge step up. It is fun having a new phone though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’m on the upgrade program now, is there much benefit to skipping the 15 and keeping my 14? I’m bad at math.

My job is hard on phones so I would like a nice clean charging port and speakers/mic but otherwise it doesn’t seem like a huge step up. It is fun having a new phone though.

Unless you absolutely need a new phone or want USB-C, no, not really. It's pretty iterative.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

My 13 pro battery is at 90% but it feels a lot less then that, I'm stuck on xfinity mobile for another year at least, is it worth trading it in and going for the 15 pro. I like not having to keep lightning cables around.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 13, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think with ATT deals the option to pay off the remainder unlocks after a year.

At least it once was that way. I only navigate their labyrinth when I really have to.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
anyone on the ios 17 beta RC? Stable enough for daily use?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

anyone on the ios 17 beta RC? Stable enough for daily use?

It’s the same thing that’s going to be released next week, hence the name release candidate. It’s perfectly fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Technically they can release another RC if something show-stopping crops up (they've done it in the past), but anyway, yeah, it seems fine to me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Is the AT&T trade in experience similarly painless? Ie, get the phone shipped, bring the phone in to the store, and they tell me immediately that it's good/bad?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Is the AT&T trade in experience similarly painless? Ie, get the phone shipped, bring the phone in to the store, and they tell me immediately that it's good/bad?

They also have an option to send you a shipping box. That box will probably never arrive, so you end up taking it to the store anyways.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

They sent me a prepaid box/envelope in the mail a few weeks after getting my new phone. Pack it up, drop it in the mail and like a month later you start getting your credits. Painless.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have a 13 Pro 256GB and my default would be to upgrade to the 15 Pro but I'm considering the Pro Max for the better telephoto lens and 26% better battery life since it's only $100 more with 256GB.

My main concern is size for one-handed use since I have average size hands. I don't use a case and keep the phone in my front right pocket.

The 13 Pro is feels like the maximum size I can manage one-handed while walking but I've never owned a max. For those who have experience with both the regular and max, is it a noticeable difference?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The answer with every single size concern is “you’ll get used to it”. Although all that really means is that it shouldn’t be a deal breaker for you, and you’ll obviously still have your personal preferences (RIP Mini 😢).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Stray observation that I am sure other people have made but no white iPhone 15 seems like they are really using "fashion" to force people into the Pro. Black is very severe, white was kind of the neutral, all the colors on the 15 just seem, I dunno, kind of immature?

Spring pastels are lame, give me my navy blue and forest green

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Apple just give you the money instead of doling it out over three years like AT&T?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe I’ll bite the bullet sell my 13 mini and get a 14 pro or 15 pro then annoy my friends and family with macro pictures of cool bugs I find in the garden

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I won't be able to trade in my XS, right?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Does Apple just give you the money instead of doling it out over three years like AT&T?

Nah the money comes from somewhere, it’s all contract lock ins. I personally choose Apple upgrade program instead of the carrier stuff to avoid lock in. I might keep the 14 Pro the full 2 years this time around and sell it for the used value before buying the 16 Pro. Instead of my usual way which is effectively paying half the price of the phone to use it for a year, which isn’t horrible.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Carrier lock loving sucks. When I go overseas I can’t just swap in a foreign SIM card. I thought I got a super sick deal trading in a water-damaged XS for my 13 Pro at AT&T but it’s a three year lock-in period. Current plan is to trade in this phone to Apple for an unlocked 15 Pro.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

wooger posted:

Nothing that really makes me care about the 15, though I wish there was some kind of embeddable usb-c adapter I could glue into my 14 pro.

I have destroyed my native union 14 pro case inside 6 months, can anyone recommend an alternative to the apple leather case for the 14 pro, or should I just settle for that?

Wish I could find a decent canvas backed case ideally, but otherwise leather >> tpu.

I've been a fan of the Peak Design Everyday Case since they came out- it has over the front lip protection so if you have your phone face down it isn't resting on the glass, and a rear lip that goes beyond the camera lenses for rear protection as well. The case is super durable (I've dropped it multiple times on concrete and it's still in great shape) and feels good in the hand to me. The entire Peak Design Mobile line is really nice as well- the case includes stronger magnets so if you use the case along with something like their bike mount, that poo poo stays put.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Vegetable posted:

Carrier lock loving sucks. When I go overseas I can’t just swap in a foreign SIM card. I thought I got a super sick deal trading in a water-damaged XS for my 13 Pro at AT&T but it’s a three year lock-in period. Current plan is to trade in this phone to Apple for an unlocked 15 Pro.

Yeah, this is me. I've gotten used to just buying an unlocked iphone every few years and putting my own sim in, but $800 for my iphone 11 pro seems like a very good deal. It looks like AT&T's international roaming plan is only $10/day, max of $100, so it's not awful these days.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Spring pastels are lame, give me my navy blue and forest green

Apple are cowards for making all the Pro models "business acceptable colors". You have a titanium frame, anodize that poo poo and make the fuchsia and purple phone available you bastards! :argh:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They released a purple phone last time and I think people didnt like it? I only ever see silver or gold around

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

hatty posted:

They released a purple phone last time and I think people didnt like it? I only ever see silver or gold around

It was the most boring purple I’ve ever seen. I would have loved a decent purple

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

I won't be able to trade in my XS, right?

You can trade anything in. ATT is offering $340 for my son's XR.

Hell, I traded my daughter's shattered iPhone 6S in last year for $10.

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you trade it in through Apple, I'd guess so, but if you select carrier trade-in in the Apple Store app, you still have to trade it in through your carrier, who will probably do bill credits for 2/3 years.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

hatty posted:

Yeah but it wasn't on the pro models.

I remember how easy it was to replace the rear glass on the iPhone 4- lots of third party options that way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

I have a gigantic purple phone, and it's wonderful the few times I take it out of the case a year. :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Snowy posted:

It was the most boring purple I’ve ever seen. I would have loved a decent purple

I have it and I keep forgetting it’s purple. It’s barely noticeable even in perfect light.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Josh Lyman posted:

I have a 13 Pro 256GB and my default would be to upgrade to the 15 Pro but I'm considering the Pro Max for the better telephoto lens and 26% better battery life since it's only $100 more with 256GB.

My main concern is size for one-handed use since I have average size hands. I don't use a case and keep the phone in my front right pocket.

The 13 Pro is feels like the maximum size I can manage one-handed while walking but I've never owned a max. For those who have experience with both the regular and max, is it a noticeable difference?

I dropped from a pro max to a pro last year because honestly the thing was annoyingly large even in my gigantic hands. It was mostly fine except when trying to reach the opposite top corner of whatever hand I was holding it. I might go back to a pro max next time though just for the batter life.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Vegetable posted:

I'm always shocked that people are okay with locking in for X amount of years still, especially at the prices of the big 3's plans. You can get a plan as cheap as like $8/month on certain MVNOs and then just buy the phone outright and save yourself like 2 more iPhone's worth.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
50 bucks a month for 36 months is more attractive to most people than $1200 up front. That’s why all the companies are rich in America and all the people are poor.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've been a fan of the Peak Design Everyday Case since they came out- it has over the front lip protection so if you have your phone face down it isn't resting on the glass, and a rear lip that goes beyond the camera lenses for rear protection as well. The case is super durable (I've dropped it multiple times on concrete and it's still in great shape) and feels good in the hand to me. The entire Peak Design Mobile line is really nice as well- the case includes stronger magnets so if you use the case along with something like their bike mount, that poo poo stays put.

I have the Everyday with Loop and also couldn’t recommend it more highly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah but it wasn't on the pro models.

Ah I was thinking of the purply grey pro color, that was a letdown. The regular 14 whitish purple was also gutless but in the other direction.

I’d love a red pro

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

American McGay posted:

50 bucks a month for 36 months is more attractive to most people than $1200 up front. That’s why all the companies are rich in America and all the people are poor.

Right, and that's probably why the average car loan is now up to like 84 months lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Blurb3947 posted:

Right, and that's probably why the average car loan is now up to like 84 months lol

RIP my truck equity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Blurb3947 posted:

I'm always shocked that people are okay with locking in for X amount of years still, especially at the prices of the big 3's plans. You can get a plan as cheap as like $8/month on certain MVNOs and then just buy the phone outright and save yourself like 2 more iPhone's worth.

American McGay posted:

I have an AT&T plan via Firstnet that I pay $50/month for and have no plans of changing. Even international roaming is only $10/day now, up to a max of $100. Part of me cares about having a locked phone, but I will likely be with AT&T in 3 years. I don't care about the upfront cost, but no one else is going to pay me $800 for an iPhone 11 Pro, right? :effort: