Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I want to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Vakal posted:

Can you patent something without knowing how to make it?

Technically, yes. But your claims and figures in your patent submission have to cover enough details so that someone "skilled in the art" would be able to make or understand your patented invention.

One time, I had patent clerk literally request that I test a geometric feature that my company was trying to patent so that we could prove that it was functionally better than a competing prior art patent.

Also, I'm very disappointed that the Mexican alien doesn't have a fat dump truck rear end.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I love that they poured sand all over the alien bodies before putting them on display for some reason.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

I love that they poured sand all over the alien bodies before putting them on display for some reason.

They're obviously just sand aliens silicon based life forms

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
1000 year old alien mummies, just carrying them around in a box to show off to politicians. As you do.

Definitely normal actions carried out by people with literal corpses of people from outer space. You'd think the mummies would be worth their own press conference maybe.

Nope, show 'em off to politicians only.

Maybe they're going to give out one of those sand drawings in a bottle made from Genuine Alien Sand?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

lol the Aliens subreddit is going bananas right now

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The mummified specimens were displayed in glass cases as part of an official unveiling at Mexico's Congress in a hearing which has stirred excitement among UFO (unidentified flying object) enthusiasts.

Politicians were told they were found in the city of Cusco, Peru, and were estimated to be 1,000 years old.

The Mexico City event was spearheaded by journalist and UFO researcher Jaime Maussan, who testified under oath that almost a third of their DNA is "unknown" and the specimens were not part of "our terrestrial evolution", Mexican media reported.

"These specimens are not part of our evolutionary history on Earth," he said in his presentation to Mexican government officials and representatives from the US.

"They are not beings recovered from a UFO crash.

"Instead, they were found in diatom (algae) mines and subsequently became fossilised."

However, a 2015 claim by Mr Maussan that a mummified body - purportedly that of an alien - found near Nazca in Peru was later debunked as it was shown to be a human child.

Speaking about the latest discovery, Mr Maussan told the Mexico City delegation the specimens had been examined at the Autonomous National University Of Mexico.
Advertisement

He said scientists used radiocarbon dating to gather DNA evidence and X-rays had shown one to have "eggs" inside.

Congress representatives said the information had left them with "thoughts" and "concerns" and with the view to "continue talking about this".

Ryan Graves, a former US Navy pilot who in July claimed the number of UFOs or UAPs (unidentified anomalous phenomena) was being "grossly underreported", was also in attendance.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

I assume that is Jaime 'Nazca Aliens Hoax' Maussan?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thank you Mexico!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

aliens subreddit falls for the dumbest poo poo, it’s impressive

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NoiseAnnoys posted:

aliens subreddit falls for the dumbest poo poo, it’s impressive

It's real funny and when the latest blatantly fake thing they spent a week dissecting turns out to be fraudulent, actually it was a psyop meant to discredit them all along (until it resurfaces a month later with some redditor's new analysis)

naem
May 29, 2011

how do people have such specific ideas about what an alien is or what interaction with them would be like

it’s like a religion

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

naem posted:

how do people have such specific ideas about what an alien is or what interaction with them would be like

it’s like a religion

It's the same as any religion. Made up beliefs backed up by faith.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

naem posted:

it’s like a religion

Aliens will look pretty much like humans except a little weird even though exactly one branch of evolution on earth has resulted in species that look anything like us in 4.5bn years.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

ThinkTank posted:

Aliens will look pretty much like humans except a little weird even though exactly one branch of evolution on earth has resulted in species that look anything like us in 4.5bn years.

because aliens made man, dumbass

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

because aliens made man, dumbass

Then who made the aliens?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Then who made the aliens?

Other Aliens

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why did the aliens give us ears and noses when they don't have em?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We have discovered alien life in Italy

that’s iberico my friend

naem
May 29, 2011

who watched, the make men

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
If they are oviparous and live underground, could they be descendants of the dinosaurs who went underground when the meteors hit the earth?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

naem posted:

it’s like a religion

There's an excellent book called "Round In Circles" by Jim Schnabel which goes into the history of the crop circles phenomenon and the scientists who spent years and years studying it. They broke into two main camps: scientists who were absolutely adamant that the crop circles were a natural phenomenon caused by localized tornadoes and scientists who were absolutely adamant that they were being caused by alien visitors. They feuded for years and years over their pet theories, writing up papers and published regular "cerealogy' journals and holding seminars and flying in guest lecturers from overseas and doing media interviews and rushing around documenting new crop circles whenever they appeared and holding weeklong "field trips" where they monitored fields and tried to collect footage of crop circles being created.
Spoiler: the entire 'phenomenon' was just a hoax, and always had been. The author of the book should know, he was one of the main offenders and had created dozens and dozens of crop circles over the years which the scientists swore couldn't possibly have been made by humans.

Bigfootology is also broken into similar opposing camps, with one group of 'researchers' being absolutely adamant that bigfoot is a mundane flesh & blood creature which is just really good at hiding, and the other group which is absolutely adamant that bigfoots are dimension-traveling creatures which communicate via telepathy. Each camp holds their own annual conventions and is convinced that the other guys are nuts who have missed the entire point.

I keep comparing UFOlogy to bigfootery because both fields work exactly the same way and have people forming similar theories based off pretty much the same type of evidence and jumping to similar conspiracy theories to explain why "the real evidence" has been withheld from the public. Many Bigfootologists believe that the forestry department has been systematically hiding evidence of bigfoot for decades and the Smithsonian has been collecting giant skeletons and hiding them away because they'd disprove current scientific theories on evolution n' poo poo. They're also usually pretty darn sure they know what will happen when they inevitably interact with the thingie and they're sure it'll happen real soon.

There's also always a fringe element who believe they're already in regular communication with the thingies: there's a whole lot of people who believe that bigfoots talk to them telepathically, a whole lot of spiritualists who believe that specific dead people talk to them, and UFO dudes who believe that aliens are talking to them telepathically or that they have special UFO summoning skills:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the main "UFO summoners" is a guy called Ron Bingham who gets a fair amount of media attention. He claims that he can telepathically communicate with UFOs, ghosts and even bigfoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNaPCCZFsoM

He seems to be a pretty harmless but deeply deluded guy who believes he's got special UFO super powers. He's been doing this for several decades which is pretty sad. You see the exact same thing in bigfoot circles, I've done a few posts ITT about the communities of bigfoot "communicators" who believe they have a special psychic bond with bigfoot.

Here's a video interviewing a few other UFO summoners
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvy_K81PbS8

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 13, 2023

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

ThinkTank posted:

Why did the aliens give us ears and noses when they don't have em?

It's a fetish thing

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

1/3 unknown DNA and eggs? I'm as skeptical as the next guy but at some point you have to accept that mexican aliens are real.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

redshirt posted:

Other Aliens

its why all aliens look similar

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

There's an excellent book called "Round In Circles" by Jim Schnabel which goes into the history of the crop circles phenomenon and the scientists who spent years and years studying it. They broke into two main camps: scientists who were absolutely adamant that the crop circles were a natural phenomenon caused by localized tornadoes and scientists who were absolutely adamant that they were being caused by alien visitors. They feuded for years and years over their pet theories, writing up papers and published regular "cerealogy' journals and holding seminars and flying in guest lecturers from overseas and doing media interviews and rushing around documenting new crop circles whenever they appeared and holding weeklong "field trips" where they monitored fields and tried to collect footage of crop circles being created.
Spoiler: the entire 'phenomenon' was just a hoax, and always had been. The author of the book should know, he was one of the main offenders and had created dozens and dozens of crop circles over the years which the scientists swore couldn't possibly have been made by humans.

Bigfootology is also broken into similar opposing camps, with one group of 'researchers' being absolutely adamant that bigfoot is a mundane flesh & blood creature which is just really good at hiding, and the other group which is absolutely adamant that bigfoots are dimension-traveling creatures which communicate via telepathy. Each camp holds their own annual conventions and is convinced that the other guys are nuts who have missed the entire point.

I keep comparing UFOlogy to bigfootery because both fields work exactly the same way and have people forming similar theories based off pretty much the same type of evidence and jumping to similar conspiracy theories to explain why "the real evidence" has been withheld from the public. Many Bigfootologists believe that the forestry department has been systematically hiding evidence of bigfoot for decades and the Smithsonian has been collecting giant skeletons and hiding them away because they'd disprove current scientific theories on evolution n' poo poo. They're also usually pretty darn sure they know what will happen when they inevitably interact with the thingie and they're sure it'll happen real soon.

There's also always a fringe element who believe they're already in regular communication with the thingies: there's a whole lot of people who believe that bigfoots talk to them telepathically, a whole lot of spiritualists who believe that specific dead people talk to them, and UFO dudes who believe that aliens are talking to them telepathically or that they have special UFO summoning skills:

Yeah people are dumb and believe things based on faith

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Actual Satan posted:

1/3 unknown DNA and eggs? I'm as skeptical as the next guy but at some point you have to accept that mexican aliens are real.

they were peruvian aliens detained by the mexican government while attempting to cross the border to steal american alien jobs at area 51

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So these aliens are only like 33 Centimeters tall?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

redshirt posted:

So these aliens are only like 33 Centimeters tall?

maybe they shrunk when they jerkified

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I remember in the late 90s wanting to get a group of friends together and make a crop circle, but then again the local farmers would've probably shot at us.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The virgin Grolsch: has no aliens, no crafts, trusts in government whistleblower process

The chad Mexican ufologist: drops the bodies day 1, carved it themselves from chorizo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

that’s iberico my friend

Psyop from the Italian CIA.

The CIAO

I stole this joke

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
it looks extremely fake

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

When you finish and she don't stop suckin'

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I remember in the late 90s wanting to get a group of friends together and make a crop circle, but then again the local farmers would've probably shot at us.

I always felt bad for the crops.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Their real

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
and the lols start coming and they don't stop coming

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
that thing is made out of gd paper mache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I gotta gently caress dat mummy