Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

emSparkly posted:

Lots of big name studios make their mobile games from Unity and poo poo so I expect big loving lawsuits to come. That CEO is about to take his bonus, sell his stocks, and hit the loving road real quick lol.

oh don't worry, he already did. yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
They're making bullshit as they go and it's really insane, as if Apple will pay for all the Genshin Impact downloads, or Microsoft for all the Unity game downloads.

Expecting them to announce that they can track if the same user installed on different PCs that they can reduce costs that way and that we promise it's totally trackable we wouldn't lie about this

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Even by Bethesda standards starfield is janky and not fun.

I always liked Skyrim, I love Morrowind, oblivion was good for its time but was eclipsed by Skyrim (though it did have some is the best writing of the elder scrolls series)

Fallout 4 was good, I'm not a hater is what I'm saying.

But starfield is just lazy and not fun. I wanted to run off and go exploring like you can in every Bethesda game and you...just can't. There's nothing to explore. It's all procedurally generated content a la no man's sky.

Idk I don't care about crafting and base building and it seems like that's where they're trying to lean super hard. It's like they're trying to imitate no man's sky...of all games.

Idk I'm sure some people like it but I think it's lovely and low effort.

Maybe I'm not far enough into it. Is there any hand made surface-world content outside of the major cities? Like can I say to hell with everything else and just go run around exploring caves and finding hand-placed loot and poo poo?

Yeah :same:

And like, I'm not a kneejerk Bethesda sucks person. My screenname is literally skooma. My favorite thing of all time is space and NASA, this should be the game for me.

I'm still playing it, but it hits you with its flaws when doing basically anything in the game save I suppose, for the main quest. The most impressed I've been so far is just getting to land on Enceladus and Europa. But also since I have knowledge of what solar system bodies should be like, it falls a little flat there too. Enceladus has geysers that go out into space, that could be in the skybox if not modeled on map, but it's not there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just frozen moon model 6 and I will see another body with the same map in the game without Saturn overhead. Though I don't necessarily hold that detail against them, as the geyser observation is only like 6 months old, hopefully someone does a solar system overhaul mod next year. I will however nitpick about Mars having random gas seeps.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When did pushing back the release date for people who don't buy the moron edition become such a thing? I feel like MMOs have been doing it forever as a preorder bonus, and then pay to win games started adding it to their "founders pack" or whatever.

But now I know Starfield was charging extra to play on labor day weekend, and it looks like game I'm actually interested in Lies of P is "releasing" on a Monday unless you pay an extra $10 dollars. Pretty cool how freeing games from the constraints of the physical supply chain seems to have effected release dates in the shittiest way possible.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

The Moon Monster posted:

When did pushing back the release date for people who don't buy the moron edition become such a thing? I feel like MMOs have been doing it forever as a preorder bonus, and then pay to win games started adding it to their "founders pack" or whatever.

But now I know Starfield was charging extra to play on labor day weekend, and it looks like game I'm actually interested in Lies of P is "releasing" on a Monday unless you pay an extra $10 dollars. Pretty cool how freeing games from the constraints of the physical supply chain seems to have effected release dates in the shittiest way possible.

It's preying on gamer dads worldwide.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

kntfkr posted:

I'm gonna play Enemy Zero tomrrow. I don't care what you say, you can't stop me.

Let me know if you like it. I like the song "Ladyfingers" by Lucious Jackson, and I like Michael Nyman's music sometimes. I aspire to one day like Kenji Eno games as well but I tried D2 and just didn't know what the hell was going on. It had good opening cinematics though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

Let me know if you like it. I like the song "Ladyfingers" by Lucious Jackson, and I like Michael Nyman's music sometimes. I aspire to one day like Kenji Eno games as well but I tried D2 and just didn't know what the hell was going on. It had good opening cinematics though.

You don't actually play as the old man in the opening cinematic, he's just The Dark Wanderer's (aka Diablo) travel buddy, now gone insane.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

skooma512 posted:

Yeah :same:

And like, I'm not a kneejerk Bethesda sucks person. My screenname is literally skooma. My favorite thing of all time is space and NASA, this should be the game for me.

I'm still playing it, but it hits you with its flaws when doing basically anything in the game save I suppose, for the main quest. The most impressed I've been so far is just getting to land on Enceladus and Europa. But also since I have knowledge of what solar system bodies should be like, it falls a little flat there too. Enceladus has geysers that go out into space, that could be in the skybox if not modeled on map, but it's not there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's just frozen moon model 6 and I will see another body with the same map in the game without Saturn overhead. Though I don't necessarily hold that detail against them, as the geyser observation is only like 6 months old, hopefully someone does a solar system overhaul mod next year. I will however nitpick about Mars having random gas seeps.

I am a professional astronomer and reading this post I'm thinking "look at this fuckin nerd"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I think the exact moment my enthusiasm dropped through the floor in starfield was when you go to take off and there's some dialogue about hoping you remember how to do it and it might get bumpy or whatever, and I was excited because I genuinely enjoy the takeoff and landing stuff in elite dangerous, but then it was just a cut scene and I was in space.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

today is the kind of day that gets me wishing skatebirds was a good game

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Just a quick reminder that there are people that unironically prefer the Pax Romana government in Fallout New Vegas.

E:I always end up putting House in power because it seems the least evil option.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I admit I'm only a few quests deep into Starfield but it's really just what you would expect from a Bethesda game. I'll let everyone take that for what it's worth.

Kinda wish I could fly my ship onto a planet and land where ever the gently caress I wanted but that's what happens when you listen to game devs too much.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fighting Elegy posted:

Luscious jackson were great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There are probably only about 40 NES games that still stand up today, and all of them are better than Starfield

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
1. The Adventures of Bayou Billy
2. Gyromite
3. Donkey Kong Jr. Math

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

There are probably only about 40 NES games that still stand up today, and all of them are better than Starfield

You like Dota lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

syntaxfunction posted:

You like Dota lol

I love dota, I like nes games

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Nes games were eight bits tho, what are you even meant to show with eight colours? Ridiculous, might as well play Atari ET jeez.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people who mine for secrets in video game code are lame as hell, imagine putting a fun secret in a game for people to figure out and discover down the line and then some dork just combs through your code and finds it in the least interesting and fun way possible. What a dumb way to spend your time, people probably start doing data mining stuff as soon as they buy it without even playing the game.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

big black turnout posted:

I think the exact moment my enthusiasm dropped through the floor in starfield was when you go to take off and there's some dialogue about hoping you remember how to do it and it might get bumpy or whatever, and I was excited because I genuinely enjoy the takeoff and landing stuff in elite dangerous, but then it was just a cut scene and I was in space.

lol yeah especially given the nice designed buttons in the ship it was so lame.

amazing how they managed to make starfield even more boring as the outer worlds and gently caress over people who just want cool space games again

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

syntaxfunction posted:

You like Dota lol

Ew

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
i don't think that counts as an unpopular opinion to make fun of dota gamers

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Not unpopular, and yet it keeps happening itt.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dota players just get really defensive... it's in the name

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Remember when WC3 custom map lobbies couldn't get rid of the dota assholes because there weren't standalone ones yet? Just lobby after lobby of the most miserable people on battlenet lurking around waiting for enough other sour jerks to start a match and then all leave 2 minutes in. you'd see them sometimes accidentally join a fun map and just could just tell they were one of the people who came for dota

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I remember there were 10 million different dota maps and you could never tell if it was a "legit" release or one where the first player would be given a bunch of extra stuff or invulnerability or some other stupid poo poo. Most map types didn't have this problem it was common on the dota maps though

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Get rid of video game voice actors and replace them with AI, imuvgo.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I always intend to "really pay attention to the voice actors" in a new game and then after five minutes I'm rapidly skimming the text yet again.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

neato burrito posted:

I always intend to "really pay attention to the voice actors" in a new game and then after five minutes I'm rapidly skimming the text yet again.

:same:

My only exceptions have been Witcher 3 and most of Cyberpunk.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Voice actors should talk a lot faster

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

British theatre guys are a lot better voice actors than American cartoon network guys

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No they aren't, they're just cheaper and somehow have even less self respect.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

give them a break their parents raised them to think that using 'whilst' is okay

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If there's one thing I like even less than listening to voice actors reading lines, it's listening to a person with a british accent saying anything at all :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's not even a real English accent, that's the northeastern US accent, the british one was made up by the Kardashians of the Victorian age, and that's a fact I learned from a BBC documentary about the English language where they tattled on themselves.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

iIrenicus is the best voice actor ever for a reason, and Cid from Final Fantasy 16 is the best recent one for the same reason

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

If there's one thing I like even less than listening to voice actors reading lines, it's listening to a person with a british accent saying anything at all :colbert:

:hmmyes:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Part of why Bethesda can't recapture the magic of Morrowind is because of the perceived need for voiced lines imo

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Part of why Bethesda can't recapture the magic of Morrowind is because of the perceived need for voiced lines imo

Yes, but also games like Morrowind are made today by small indie teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I hate voice acting because I'm just a huge misanthrope and anything that makes me feel like I'm listening to a real person makes me wanna puke.