Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

goddamn this is so stupid

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Sorry, 2 more. One for the ratio and one for the headline that a million people are about to post on FB

amazing headline lol

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
My local pharmacy has this note from yesterday. "You can get the new vax once we figure out how to get it"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Panic Restaurant posted:

There was some sort of supervisors meeting at work today about making sure we had cross training and plans in place in case people are out sick because it’s supposed to be “a bad flu/RSV season.” Who knows if our favorite novel coronavirus got a mention or not. Meeting was in a closed room with no masks and I’ve heard nothing about any mitigation plans. If only there were several simple and effective things we could do to significantly reduce viral transmission in an office setting. If only.

I keep screaming and God won’t answer lmao

We are deploying best practice mitigation techniques including both

1. Hooting
2. Hollering

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dog Case posted:

My local pharmacy has this note from yesterday. "You can get the new vax once we figure out how to get it"

We had a functional state for like a minute but that scared number so now we gotta go back to jank free market pharma bullshit

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Dog Case posted:

(..)

No one could have predicted leaving the decision to the last moment on a massive logistics operation could result in a clusterfuck.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Louisgod posted:

so is moderna creating an updated booster too? I'd like to stick with House Moderna as that's what I've had in me up to now.

get this terf bullshit outta here

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

puncturewound78 posted:

get this terf bullshit outta here

lmao was hoping that phrase would piss some people off

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There's also Houses in Game of Thrones and like most every other fantasy, magical, sci-fi worldbuilding ever but lol at the latching onto HP. Thread poster challenge, read literally any other book series.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tangy yet delightful posted:

There's also Houses in Game of Thrones and like most every other fantasy, magical, sci-fi worldbuilding ever but lol at the latching onto HP. Thread poster challenge, read literally any other book series.

Sure, but this was an actual thing:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

even posting that image is an act of violence

e: deerhoof still refusing to acknowledge normal

https://twitter.com/deerhoof/status/1702000238041399573

Insanite has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Sep 13, 2023

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

"read any other book series"

only names a song of ice and fire as an example, incorrectly too, lol. lmao.

but I agree. Read more, fuckers.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

really kinda saying the quiet part loud here aren't they? that they can't wait for it to just be yet another disease that the working class are expected to either work through or die of with no further mitigation or protection or consideration, just like every other disease since our society gave up on public health in favor of whatever the gently caress you want to call our particular brand of fart huffing neoliberal capitalism

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Coworker walked into the office and was chatting with folks for 15 mins. Then his wife called to tell him she tested positive. My boss opened the door and was blasting air outside for a while at least, but I remain the sole masked person. So we'll see what happens!!

Have things reopened yet?

Noone wants to work anymore!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

puncturewound78 posted:

the book is called Game Of Thrones: The Book

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Zugzwang posted:

Coworker walked into the office and was chatting with folks for 15 mins. Then his wife called to tell him she tested positive. My boss opened the door and was blasting air outside for a while at least, but I remain the sole masked person. So we'll see what happens!!

acknowledging that fresh air might reduce transmission somehow feels like an above-average response now lol

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

Sure, but this was an actual thing:

Ah damnit my thread lore was incomplete, mea culpa.

puncturewound78 posted:

I'll be sure to think for more than 3 seconds when listing out examples next time for you so that puncturewound78 knows how smart and well read I am.

edit: Ok to be nicer instead of just poo poo posting, the reason I said GoT was because it's probably the other biggest most well known example of "Houses" in modern entertainment due to the HBO series. I wish you a blessed day.

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Sep 13, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

stop referencing books, try a video game reference next time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

In the enchanting realm of J.K. Rowling's wizarding world, where magic and mystery intertwine, one finds a captivating parallel to our real-world battle against the COVID-19 pandemic. Much like the intricately woven plot elements of the open world video game, "Hogwarts Legacy," the development and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines have become a saga filled with anticipation, hope, and transformative potential. As we delve into the realms of both wizardry and science, we discover striking resemblances between the power of these vaccines and the enchanting elements that make Hogwarts Legacy a captivating experience. Just as the game invites players to embark on a heroic journey, the global vaccination effort has become a quest of paramount importance, promising a brighter future for all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U-DO Burger posted:

i have to grind 130,000 gil to afford this drat buff potion that only lasts like one week

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
house pfizerin has the magicians counsel in its pocketses (lego harry potter)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

puncturewound78 posted:

currently reading the Children of Time trilogy and in the first book there's a pandemic that almost wipes out one of the main species

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
only about half as many customers as usual today and two of them full on hacking and choking in the store lol AURA DON'T FAIL ME NOW

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

U-DO Burger posted:

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Ah damnit my thread lore was incomplete, mea culpa.

I'll be sure to think for more than 3 seconds when listing out examples next time for you so that puncturewound78 knows how smart and well read I am.

edit: Ok to be nicer instead of just poo poo posting, the reason I said GoT was because it's probably the other biggest most well known example of "Houses" in modern entertainment due to the HBO series. I wish you a blessed day.

just playing back!

reading rules!

Le Guin is my favorite author

also Octavia Butler slaps, especially Xenogenesis and Parable.

fav new author is Julia Armfield

most impactful book ive read this year was Tell Me Im Worthless by Alison Rumfitt

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
OK look Fauci is Ganoes Paran. he forces the virus (the Crippled God, clearly) to play by the science and binds unaligned ascendants to House Pfizer or Moderna

joe biden is K'Rul

Anthony Leonardi is Cotillion Karsa Orlong

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Sep 13, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

puncturewound78 posted:

just playing back!

reading rules!

most impactful book ive read this year was Tell Me Im Worthless by Alison Rumfitt

I've been reading some Terry Pratchett this year in terms of fantasy. I've actually never read anything by Le Guin, I really should rectify that.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

puncturewound78 posted:

just playing back!

reading rules!

Butler's Parable of the Sower is so loving good but it's so accurate about the present and our near-future that it's legitimately pretty spooky.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

puncturewound78 posted:

just playing back!

reading rules!

please suggest some must-have Le Guin books, always want suggestions.

Parable of the Sower was great though Parable of the Talents was... not. had some great ideas marred by segments that went on far too long, with a floundering story. the ending was neat though.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
as a Le Guin megafan I can say there's basically no bad choice.

Always Coming Home is probably the only book to avoid until you've read several of her other books and know reading her fake textbook and anthropological examination of an imaginary people living in the pacific north west thousands of years from now seems like fun! It is but it took me months.

I recommend The Left Hand of Darkness and then The Dispossessed to almost everyone who would be open to their ideas.

The Hainish Cycle is so cool. Love all the Hainish books and stories that I've read.

Earthsea is very cool too!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if we're talking book recs, i'm enjoying Hagakure. it's starting to seem like you want to read the 2014 translation first, because it's more transliterally-accurate and it has lots of footnotes that give you context for feudal japan, followed directly by reading the 1992 one, because it's more visceral and hardcore but also engrishy. i read some Arsene Lupin earlier this year, too, and the first three-quarters of The Road to En-Dor is really great (but after they escape the prison camp they just sit in a psych ward for six months lol)

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

But aren't there are other countries still needing vaccines?

Ew, they're poor.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
Parable of Talents is definitely not as mind blowing as Sower but it's very good still.

I think the parts about Acorn being taken over by white supremacists and the detailed examination of forced labor and slavery is so loving vivid.

Butler's voice through that, describing literally just carving and moving a massive hill, for no reason, just slave work.

loving brutal, terrifying.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Indoor Dying posted:

Ew, they're poor.

How much could it cost to send them our outdated bivalent vaccines?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

PerniciousKnid posted:

here take these, they do nothing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Indoor Dying posted:

Ew, they're poor.

Unfortunately three guys in this thread getting vaccines early two years ago made it impossible to ever supply poor countries

SAD tried to warn the world, in vain

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

I got to shake Le Guin's hand once. Nice lady. My girlfriend had stolen her dad's copy of I believe Left Hand so she could secretly get it signed for him, the whole situation was pretty adorable

puncturewound78 posted:

Dune was right there

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Sep 13, 2023

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

It would demonstrate that value exists independently of financial profit, which is the gravest cost of all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Real Mean Queen posted:

Dune was right there

The pax must flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

puncturewound78 posted:

Parable of Talents is definitely not as mind blowing as Sower but it's very good still.

I think the parts about Acorn being taken over by white supremacists and the detailed examination of forced labor and slavery is so loving vivid.

Butler's voice through that, describing literally just carving and moving a massive hill, for no reason, just slave work.

loving brutal, terrifying.

yeah it was extraordinarily striking and unfortunately topical. only issue I had is Butler labored a bit too much on the misery of the situation when she had already established how horrible everything is. beyond that, great series. I also enjoyed Kindred.

gonna go buy a bunch of Le Guin books now