Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Loucks posted:

Of course the future of education involves more ai. “Teacher” already has a lower skill floor than it did before the pandemic started. I moved to one of the best public school districts in my state and am still seeing bullshit worksheets and teachers incapable of operating canvas to keep grades straight. School corps will move to a panopticon model with only ai instruction and cops to keep order the moment they think they can do so and still inculcate submission to the interests of capital.

wow, covid thread against the equitable access to education that only privately owned and operated educational software firms can provide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
so is moderna creating an updated booster too? I'd like to stick with House Moderna as that's what I've had in me up to now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Louisgod posted:

House Moderna

I'm incredibly mad now

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm incredibly mad now

just cause you’re a slytherin

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
*in a wizard voice*

READANO

THERBOOK

zzzap!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Louisgod posted:

so is moderna creating an updated booster too? I'd like to stick with House Moderna as that's what I've had in me up to now.

Yes, but also consider that House Moderna is the bad house for the evil children.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Louisgod posted:

They are but so far all the v-boys in my area are only slinging Pfizer, and I need to get well asap.

Rescheduled for saturday, thanks thread.

Raskolnikov2089 has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Sep 13, 2023

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
The EUA on the Bivalents is pulled, so any new Pfizer or Moderna shot would be the XBB1.5 monovalent.

quote:

The updated mRNA vaccines are each approved for individuals 12 years of age and older and are authorized under emergency use for individuals 6 months through 11 years of age. As part of today’s actions, the bivalent Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines are no longer authorized for use in the United States.
https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...tly-circulating
Of course, this assumes the pharmacy you're dealing with knows the EUA for bivalent has been pulled.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SardonicTyrant posted:

That for me is the nightmare, that when this is all over, nothing is going to change. Not a thing. The death we see now means nothing, was for nothing.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
let us take home the old jabs to inoculate our creatures

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

let us take home the old jabs to inoculate our creatures

what's the deal wrt dogs getting covid?? I know at the beginning of the pandemic, the accepted knowledge was that cats could get it but dogs were probably immune, and then at some point that changed, but i'm not up to date on current animal info

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what's the deal wrt dogs getting covid?? I know at the beginning of the pandemic, the accepted knowledge was that cats could get it but dogs were probably immune, and then at some point that changed, but i'm not up to date on current animal info

Dogs are absolutely getting it and it seems as if they can suffer from it (but it's thought to hit cats harder and more frequently I think), but there's no real word on their ability to spread it. Someone posted a study the other day suggesting the risk of that was low though.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Got an appointment with Walgreens next Tuesday. Just gonna hope they have the new one by then

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Woodsy Owl posted:

The EUA on the Bivalents is pulled, so any new Pfizer or Moderna shot would be the XBB1.5 monovalent.

I haven't really kept up, so does anyone know if the new booster matches what is circulating or is it behind the curve already like the previous one?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Dogs are absolutely getting it and it seems as if they can suffer from it (but it's thought to hit cats harder and more frequently I think), but there's no real word on their ability to spread it. Someone posted a study the other day suggesting the risk of that was low though.

I'm mainly asking because my older dog ended up getting a case of pneumonia over the summer that he needed a course of antibiotics for, and the main question I kept getting was "how does a dog get pneumonia?" I'm not a vet but I'm fairly certain they get it the same way humans do, their lungs get worn down from some other infection

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
the coughing in this school is bananas right now

might be something going around

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

yellowD posted:

I haven't really kept up, so does anyone know if the new booster matches what is circulating or is it behind the curve already like the previous one?

It's behind the curve but far closer than the old one and also a monovalent of a more recent variant is going to be a lot better than a 2 year old variant bivalent mix with wild type

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

I don't use :rubby: for funny things, it's more of a nihilistic cackling.

Please laughscream inside your heart

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

yellowD posted:

it's behind the curve as always but at least they ditched the extremely-dated wildtype inclusion for a monovalent XBB1.5 target. they've got some spotty evidence that it provides ample titers against the BA.2.86 variant that's currently weirdly ramping up, and should match most of the XBB1.# variant soup reasonably well.

the target of the new booster, XBB1.5, is about 1.5 variants in the rearview as opposed to... 5? that wildtype was at the time lmao LMAO AT ALL OF THIS

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

Should I grab the just released vaccine or should I wait for novavax?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Dr. Derek posted:

If you are exposed at all right now, you shouldn't wait.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Yes they did, I have just scheduled to get another clot shot for Monday at Walgreens hoping of course they have the updated shot by then, the website claimed it would be Moderna but TBF if I show up and it's only the new Pfizer I'll just take it. I've got a trip in a few weeks time for a memorial service that I would love some titers for.

Oh also I booked my flu shot for the same visit, ya'll should be sure and get that juice too if you haven't.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I want novavax but idk when the surgery to remove my kidney tumor is. I just hope I can get some titers before then

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

It's behind the curve but far closer than the old one and also a monovalent of a more recent variant is going to be a lot better than a 2 year old variant bivalent mix with wild type

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's behind the curve as always but at least they ditched the extremely-dated wildtype inclusion for a monovalent XBB1.5 target. they've got some spotty evidence that it provides ample titers against the BA.2.86 variant that's currently weirdly ramping up, and should match most of the XBB1.# variant soup reasonably well.

the target of the new booster, XBB1.5, is about 1.5 variants in the rearview as opposed to... 5? that wildtype was at the time lmao LMAO AT ALL OF THIS

Got it, thank you.

I'm old enough to remember being told how quickly mrna can be spun up to match what is going around, or even likely future candidates.

Dr. Derek
Jan 1, 2010

Faster than a dead horse falling through orbit

Pingui posted:

If you are exposed at all right now, you shouldn't wait.

I'm lucky enough that my current situation minimizes my chances of being exposed (remote worker, live alone, etc.) but I'm still exceedingly cautious and wear a proper mask every time I go outside.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Dr. Derek posted:

yes.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
There was some sort of supervisors meeting at work today about making sure we had cross training and plans in place in case people are out sick because it’s supposed to be “a bad flu/RSV season.” Who knows if our favorite novel coronavirus got a mention or not. Meeting was in a closed room with no masks and I’ve heard nothing about any mitigation plans. If only there were several simple and effective things we could do to significantly reduce viral transmission in an office setting. If only.

I keep screaming and God won’t answer lmao

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Dr. Derek posted:

I'm lucky enough that my current situation minimizes my chances of being exposed (remote worker, live alone, etc.) but I'm still exceedingly cautious and wear a proper mask every time I go outside.

If I had literally zero exposure, I would wait, mainly to see if it gets the nod on the 22nd, but probably not longer than that. That said, there is a decent chance that it isn't actually better (the data we have are lackluster on all 3 boosters) and if it is, it is probably pretty marginal at this point in time. The main potential benefit of Novavax is greater resilience against further variants, but the new boosters seem decently targeted (unless BA.2.86.x takes off...).

All this to say, Novavax will probably (possibly, maybe) get out of EUA to full authorization at some point, in which case you can just buy the dose. At that time variant protection is probably more important anyways.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Making my appointment and apparently the actual name of the Pfizer shot is SPIKEVAX. Why the hell aren't people calling it that, that rules

Edit: See below

Rochallor has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Sep 13, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rochallor posted:

Making my appointment and apparently the actual name of the Pfizer shot is SPIKEVAX. Why the hell aren't people calling it that, that rules

That's Moderna. Pfizer is Comirnaty.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zantie posted:

How is BA.bby formed?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Dr. Derek posted:

Why not both?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

If in 2019 I suggested to anyone in the field of medicine or anything adjacent to it that we’d have the equivalent of two to ten severe flu seasons per year, every year for the foreseeable future—a death toll that easily places it top amongst all infectious disease and perhaps as high as malaria, tuberculosis, and AIDS combined—and that we should do nothing about it, they would consider this to be stark raving madness.

Now it’s considered mad to care.

yeah it owns :buddy:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yes they did, I have just scheduled to get another clot shot for Monday at Walgreens hoping of course they have the updated shot by then, the website claimed it would be Moderna but TBF if I show up and it's only the new Pfizer I'll just take it. I've got a trip in a few weeks time for a memorial service that I would love some titers for.

Oh also I booked my flu shot for the same visit, ya'll should be sure and get that juice too if you haven't.

Ok cool I'll just schedule an appointment and take whatever I can get, House Moderna can eat my rear end.

for the flu shot, last year it was recommended people wait until mid-October so antibodies are at their highest during the height of cases, still the case for this year too?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!

thats up to the individual, probably

this is great news about the latest slut juice tho, i had no idea those boosters were this close, gimme gimme

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"How will we know when it stops being special?" is some 8th grade emo poetry poo poo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Ok cool I'll just schedule an appointment and take whatever I can get, House Moderna can eat my rear end.

for the flu shot, last year it was recommended people wait until mid-October so antibodies are at their highest during the height of cases, still the case for this year too?

No idea about the flu antibodies myself, with the aforementioned upcoming trip which should be my worst exposure likelihood minus the whole kid in school thing - I'm just jabbing before that.

side note, scheduling some other stuff with Kaiser-Permanente and at the end of the message I just got back they said, "Be healthy. Live well. Thrive." Like thanks, I'm trying, maybe bring back masking in healthcare????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Sorry, 2 more. One for the ratio and one for the headline that a million people are about to post on FB